Coronabollocks..

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#3741 Post by Boac » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:10 pm

I may be confused but I think there was something to do with not over-loading the NHS?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3742 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:16 pm

BOAC, well the increased death numbers might sort that out. No dog walk today but a fair drive. Drop parcel at Post office, try to drop parcel off at Hermes, drop parcel off at another Hermes, collect prescription.

I stayed in the car, Mrs PN was separated from the two people in the open air queue for the post van and that was the sum total of daily interaction.

Stay safe everyone.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3743 Post by Boac » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:24 pm

well the increased death numbers might sort that out.
I somehow don't think you have quite got the hang of it? :))

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3744 Post by Karearea » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:25 pm

If you’ve found this tweet by @Pepys_Diaries, dated 19 March 2020:

On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty’s men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health of their elders!

note that @Pepys_Diaries is a parody account and this is not a real extract from the diaries.
https://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/301/
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3745 Post by Dushan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:04 am
Dushan wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:52 pm
And China has only 98,000 cases and 5,000 dead? Yeah....
So with only 88,000 cases and 4,600 deaths, how many isolation units would be needed?
Up to 3,000 Covid isolation units are being installed in record time by workers near Shijiazhuang city in the Hebei province of China. In just five days, a brown field site has become a small prefabricated town to put into quarantine those suspected of carrying the virus. Interior decorators are now adding the finishing touches.
The site was brown field 5 days ago, today it is a city. The first picture in the Telegraph shows no ground works just concrete being laid on level ground.
Today there are hundreds of buildings but no evidence of groundwork for utilities or sewage.
A block of 28 units, each with what looks like a drive through centre, has 14 rectangular units, or 392 units per block. At least two full units are visible and bits of more.
I think similar "isolation units" were built in Europe in 30s and 40s of the last century.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3746 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:51 am

The difficulties of trying to work out how dangerous the virus is, is illustrated by the running banner under my local TV news. Yesterday Figueras town had 1800 cases. Today 636. Really?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3747 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:06 am

we will have vaccinated all the over-50s and vulnerable by spring, which will have a huge impact on the pandemic. For although these 32 million people make up under half the population, they account for more than 99 per cent of the deaths.
The Telegraph, and no doubt many pundits, keep banging this drum not noticing the big hole in the middle.
It is a complete nonsense to expect all, ie everyone with no exceptions, to have been vaccinated. There will be refusniks with probably at least one in ON that will refuse. I suppose ignoring this elephant is trying to discourage the anti vaxers.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3748 Post by Woody » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:22 am

OFSO wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:51 am
The difficulties of trying to work out how dangerous the virus is, is illustrated by the running banner under my local TV news. Yesterday Figueras town had 1800 cases. Today 636. Really?
Definitely an excellent example of Bistromathics :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3749 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:26 am

to discourage the anti vaxers
According to the BBC today the 'anti vax' campaign is very active on social media in some parts of the UK. I seriously wonder if the 'campaigners' are really genuine or just malicious.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3750 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 am

To my mind there are two massive risks in the government's current high level vaccination strategy (ignoring the large potential for logistical issues, general cockups and Brexit strewn slowdowns etc.) and also ignores the anti-vax goons and their useful idiots.

The first is the government's gamble on delaying the second Pfizer vaccination despite not having any idea, based upon empirical medical and statistical research whether the efficacy of the first vaccination will be sufficient, during the extended delay before the second vaccination, to prevent infections and reinfections, in sufficient numbers, to make a dent in the R rate, let alone ensure that the second vaccination will work as effectively as Pfizer's own research indicated. Pfizer have warned the government that they don't know and have raised a big risk flag here.

The second is the fact that some Covid variants, the South African one particularly, may need a reformulation of all the vaccines anyway.

I suspect we are in a Bridge Too Far scenario here and come July we will still be fighting the panzers with grenades and sub machines guns not having achieved our objectives.

Depressing? Yes it is!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3751 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:13 am

All agreed, but I see the 'modified' vax programme as a somewhat last ditch attempt to avoid a probably inevitable surge in hospitals should lockdowns either not work or be dis-regarded. I don't see PN's idea of topping the seriously ill to make more room in ICUs as a good one...............

I assume the gamble on the 'unknown' is considered worthwhile for the hoped-for alleviation. Hindsight will inform us, as usual.

ribrash

#3752 Post by ribrash » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:06 am
we will have vaccinated all the over-50s and vulnerable by spring, which will have a huge impact on the pandemic. For although these 32 million people make up under half the population, they account for more than 99 per cent of the deaths.
The Telegraph, and no doubt many pundits, keep banging this drum not noticing the big hole in the middle.
It is a complete nonsense to expect all, ie everyone with no exceptions, to have been vaccinated. There will be refusniks with probably at least one in ON that will refuse. I suppose ignoring this elephant is trying to discourage the anti vaxers.
At least 2.Anyone want my dose ? Unlike some I do not believe every bit of crap that Bunter and Co spew out. Why would you get something that the scientists of sage repeatedly tell us will not stop you catching the virus and will not stop you passing it on.Being a mere youngster I will take my chances. :-bd

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3753 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:13 am
All agreed, but I see the 'modified' vax programme as a somewhat last ditch attempt to avoid a probably inevitable surge in hospitals should lockdowns either not work or be dis-regarded. I don't see PN's idea of topping the seriously ill to make more room in ICUs as a good one...............
Yes, a bit like shoving a grenade up one's own arse and pulling the pin to cure constipation! =))
I assume the gamble on the 'unknown' is considered worthwhile for the hoped-for alleviation. Hindsight will inform us, as usual.
As ever, we are so far behind the aircraft that we are still trying to take up the outbound heading while we should be flying the destination's approach procedure.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3754 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 am

ribrash wrote:I will take my chances
I don't think the idea of the vax is just to 'save' Ribrash!
Boac wrote:a somewhat last ditch attempt to avoid a probably inevitable surge in hospitals should lockdowns either not work or be dis-regarded

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3755 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:34 am

ribrash wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:06 am
At least 2.Anyone want my dose ? Unlike some I do not believe every bit of crap that Bunter and Co spew out. Why would you get something that the scientists of sage repeatedly tell us will not stop you catching the virus and will not stop you passing it on.Being a mere youngster I will take my chances. :-bd
Well if you think like that ribrash, I suggest that you at least take your fish oil, caught by your good self and extracted in situ, full of Omega 3's, and if the fish was a bottom feeder, lots of heavy metals etc. which will dull the reality of the pickle we are in somewhat! ;))) :p

Take the vaccine, like a man man! What's the worst that can happen? =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3756 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:07 am

This is a community that really doesn't like to be told what to do
Back in April was really bad. At the peak, they had three or four pages of just names in the main Yiddish newspaper, sometimes hundreds of people dying each week
Sounds like the road to self destruction.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3757 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:23 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am
Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:13 am
Now I see what BOAC meant with his earlier comment. I was not suggesting any active intervention or withholding treatment. I was pointing out that the increasing numbers of deaths would correct the hospital numbers and if the cases continue to drop, though they increased yesterday, that will further alleviate the bed shortage.

Unfortunately the Oxford vaccine will not prevent one of the South African variants infection.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3758 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 pm

PN wrote:Unfortunately the Oxford vaccine will not prevent one of the South African variants infection.
Official or rumour?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3759 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 pm
PN wrote:Unfortunately the Oxford vaccine will not prevent one of the South African variants infection.
Official or rumour?
Official rumour.
Oxford scientists prepare to tweak vaccine in battle against variants

The university confirmed last night that the team behind the AstraZeneca jab is undertaking feasibility studies to reconfigure the technology at 48 hours’ notice. The news emerged as research suggested that the current generation of Covid vaccines may not work against the new South African strain.

A laboratory study found that the 501Y.V2 variant achieved “complete escape” from monoclonal antibodies – man-made proteins that act like the antibodies produced by jabs.
And also in Torygraph
But in a radio interview, Nachman Ash, Israel’s vaccine tsar, said a single dose appeared “less effective than we thought”, and also lower than Pfizer had suggested.
A figure of 33% was mentioned.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3760 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:51 pm

PN wrote:will not prevent one of the South African variants infection.
the manufacturers wrote:may not work against the new South African strain.
Slightly different? Which one are you pushing, then?

We have known this for ages, since the C-20 arrived. The Oxford 'tweak' is old news and was announced by HMG several days ago. Not an issue. We can only react to what is known. Time to quote Rumsfeld?