Coronabollocks..

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#5121 Post by boing » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:41 pm

The logic of this situation disappeared long ago, as Douglas Adams might have said "and logic left for a long holiday on a nice sunny beach".

As one American "expert" said recently "we need to mandate vaccination so that the minority unvaccinated do not infect the majority who have already been fully vaccinated". I am sure he would have liked to have expressed his idea in another way although the dichotomy was barely noticed in the press.

In the US "case rates" are falling in the country in general (30 out of 50 States) although "death rates" have still not yet started to follow this trend. The latest trends in case rates are interesting. If you view in detail the fall in case rates is generally being led by the less populated areas with large urban communities still showing large numbers of cases. This means a State overall can show a high number of cases per thousand overall but the more rural areas have lower case densities than the cities. However, a number of rural areas still show high case rates, I think it may be significant that these areas employ a high rate of immigrant labour which is often housed in crowded accommodation under poor conditions.

Edited to contain latest information from the Mayo Clinic reports.
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5122 Post by boing » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:44 pm

For anyone interested in the latest Covid trends in the US here is an assessment from Johns Hopkins University, a very credible source.

This reviews suggests that about 30 States have reducing Covid rates, 10 are about stable and the rest show various rates of increase. The data shows historic case values but the trends are based on a 7 day moving average. Unfortunately this graphic does not allow zooming to locations in a particular State.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

On another site I viewed detailed information on Washington State. The Covid hotspots were around the largest cities as you may expect but infection rates were high in the farming communities to the east of the mountains.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5123 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:36 am

Limits on number of people in bars and restaurants have been abolished in Catalunia despite rise in number of infections.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5124 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:45 am

Approaching an 'On the Beach' mentality. One of our club members was struck 3 weeks ago and is recovering. A second brother in law is recovering.

It certainly seems to be sweeping the vaccinated.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5125 Post by boing » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:51 pm

PN,
Similar situation. Wife's cousin had an attack, very complying person, fully vaccinated, very cautious, retired so has no reason to mingle, has no idea where he could have picked up the bug.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5126 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:23 pm

It seems to escape folk that the Delta variant is VERY transmissable - vaccination does not prevent infection, but it should reduce hospitalisation and serious illness - has it, PN/boing?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5127 Post by boing » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:17 pm

BOAC
Certainly the attack was ameliorated in his case.

The elephant in the room is the concern caused by the failure of all of the touted protections to achieve the results predicted. First we were told vaccination would provide over 90% protection, this turned out to be debatable when applied to the whole population. Then we were told that vaccination would provide a reduced but still high level of protection against Covid Delta, this turned out not to be correct. Alongside of these predictions was the implication that, somehow, a large vaccinated population would reduce transmission which we now know to be incorrect. Now we have fallen back onto the advice that vaccination would reduce the severity of Covid attacks which seems to be generally true but we are seeing cases of long Covid after effects even on vaccinated people.It really seems that either the science that our leaders are following is incorrect or that it is being presented in the most favourable light.

My own feeling is that the present vaccination products were rushed into use quickly based on reassuring the public rather than because of genuine establishment of effectiveness, this action was justifiable. However, once we had chosen to go along with these products further research into other methods of dealing with the Covid problem at deeper level seems to have been reduced, this is not justifiable.

In effect we hitched our horses to a wagon with wobbly wheels because that was all we had available in emergency. Now we have more time to choose a better option we are painting the wobbly wheels rather than replacing them.

I simply cannot understand the outright rejection, out of hand, of every suggestion made to replace or augment the present vaccines by the government and medical organisations. Perhaps the profits on vaccines really are more important than the loss of life involved.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5128 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:22 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:23 pm
It seems to escape folk that the Delta variant is VERY transmissable - vaccination does not prevent infection, but it should reduce hospitalisation and serious illness - has it, PN/boing?
The point is that people are more accepting of probability of infection whereas previously many were simply accepted of the need to isolate which, in the absence of a vaccine, was probably valid.

Now people seem more resolved to revert to a form of normalcy, rather more than some scientists would wish.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5129 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:03 pm

boing - I completely agree.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5130 Post by llondel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:41 pm

boing wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:17 pm
My own feeling is that the present vaccination products were rushed into use quickly based on reassuring the public rather than because of genuine establishment of effectiveness, this action was justifiable. However, once we had chosen to go along with these products further research into other methods of dealing with the Covid problem at deeper level seems to have been reduced, this is not justifiable.
In terms of people remaining alive, it was a worthwhile exercise. Overloading ICUs and hospitals generally, is going to lose people, both those with Covid and those who would otherwise have been in the beds with heart conditions and similar. the original attempts at lockdown were part of that strategy, to limit the rate of infections and reduce the number of people needing the valuable resources. Until and unless they can get the world vaccinated, variants will keep cropping up due to mutations and there's always the chance that one of those variants will have mutated far enough from the original that vaccinations to date will be rendered completely ineffective. I think that is the biggest fear of governments, that we'll be back at square one, possibly with a more lethal variant (although 1 in 500 was pretty poor odds already).

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5131 Post by llondel » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:17 am

OK, here's a different slant. Seems the equine industry is suffering a shortage of important horse medication.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronav ... n/2669610/

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5132 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:47 am

Mixing his metaphors as well as his vaccines ~X(
Jonathan Van Tam warned this morning that people should not assume the pandemic was over, or let their guard down.

He said there were "some hard months to come" and urged caution, particularly when meeting other people, and the wearing of face coverings in appropriate places.

He was clear that vaccinating young children from the age of five is not a priority in the UK - unlike in the US. Instead, boosters and first doses for the five million unvaccinated are much more important.

But it's not just Covid he's worried about.

Flu and other winter respiratory viruses are returning this season after a complete absence last year when no one was mixing - and anything we can do to protect against Covid will protect against them too.

But Prof Van Tam was upbeat too - by the spring he forecast "calmer waters" and, using one of his much-loved football analogies, he said the country was now at half-time in extra time.

The final whistle may be only months away.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5133 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:16 pm

So I’ve been to Lords, The Oval and Anfield , all at capacity, never had to wear a mask, so why do the Welsh say I have to X(
Capetonian was right about them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59139618
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#5134 Post by Bob » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:08 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:16 pm
So I’ve been to Lords, The Oval and Anfield , all at capacity, never had to wear a mask, so why do the Welsh say I have to X(
Capetonian was right about them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59139618
Dont ever come here again, you are not wanted
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5135 Post by llondel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Monetising stupidity...

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/ ... x-rcna4859
In a TikTok video that has garnered hundreds of thousands of views, Dr. Carrie Madej outlined the ingredients for a bath she said will “detox the vaxx” for people who have given into Covid-19 vaccine mandates.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#5136 Post by bob2s » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:30 pm

After reading the above I have grave fears for the human race. If she is able to influence people via social media that she can "detox the vaxx"and have hundred of thousands of views,then my fear is well founded

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5137 Post by llondel » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:51 am

bob2s wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:30 pm
After reading the above I have grave fears for the human race. If she is able to influence people via social media that she can "detox the vaxx"and have hundred of thousands of views,then my fear is well founded
Depends on how many of the views are serious believers and how many are in the WTF? category.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#5138 Post by bob2s » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:27 am

Depends on how many of the views are serious believers and how many are in the WTF? category.

I would venture to say that the way young people gravitate to social media,that they would be more than likely to be believers.A good example would be the
amount of young people that turn out for a rally led by Greta Blah Blah Blah.Most of their knowldge these days seems to come from Fartbook,Twatter and
Wasup.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5139 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:22 am

Sounds like a brilliant idea. Persuade them to gain a social responsibility cache yet convince them they can then detox it.

👏

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Christmas shopping safe!

#5140 Post by Boac » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:40 am

Excellent news! Apparently the Tesco Christmas Ad incudes a Santa with a Covid vax 'passport' and this has produced a tsunami of 'boycott Tesco' on so-called 'social media' from the Anti-Vax idiots.

Guess where I'll be shopping - it will be a lot safer now. :-bd