A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#5041 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:49 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:34 am
I don't consider myself right wing at all. Maybe I'm a 'small c' conservative.

I do though, have eyes to see with.

All around me I see and hear an ocean of left wing wankerish.

For someone to have 'rights', another must have 'responsibilities'.

To me it seems these days, those who want 'their rights', seem to be in danger of outnumbering those who must provide them.

I'm sick to death of hearing woke, pc *****, LGBTQ shite, Fcuking made up ***** about the climate, idiot policies like banning IC powered cars, gas boilers etc, net bastarding zero by 2030, having to prove you don't have the lergy to do stuff you've always done- and the slavish adherance to whatever new diktat is trotted out.

It's pa-fcuking-thetic!

And as for this latest per-fcuking-formance in Afghanistan. If any one. ANYONE, thinks this idiot Biden is doing a better job than the much lampooned Trump was- let's fcuking hear it!
You are just becoming a grumpy old bugger Atom, mumbling to yourself, decrying change, losing your false teeth, pissing in your pants and even drinking cocoa. Soon you will be tripping over your walking stick and not long after that there will be nothing to be said, because, like the rest of us, you will be dead!

Another happy thought from the "grave yawns wider by the day" school of Goblin optimism! :))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5042 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:54 am

TGG, comes to us all you old b****r

Must admit I feel less need to rant nowadays. Is it because I mix less with other idiots or most people are calmer as the pace of life was slowed down?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5043 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:56 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:54 am
;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5044 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:01 am

Well, in time the grave will hold us all Gob, you cheery fellow.

But at least visitors to that hallowed spot, where I'm planted, shan't say "What a lefty wankbag he was".

Unlike those who visit yours!.....👏👏👏

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5045 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:01 am

But at least visitors to that hallowed spot, where I'm planted, shan't say "What a lefty wankbag he was".

I am left handed that's true.... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5046 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:26 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 am
AtomKraft wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:01 am

I am left handed that's true.... =))
Psst, and if somebody really wants to say something about me, mouldering in my grave then I would prefer something like "there lies the lefty **** wankpuffin! What a weasel-headed **** he was!"

One musn't stint in these matters Atom! =))

Green Goblin
Year 1 "Swear like a Scotsman" Passed Cum Laude
University of the Gorbals
Faculty - Are You Looking At Me Pal
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5047 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:20 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:54 am

Must admit I feel less need to rant nowadays. Is it because I mix less with other idiots or most people are calmer as the pace of life was slowed down?
Definitely the former.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5048 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:10 pm

All lockdowns and curfews here are cancelled from Friday this week. Not that infections are low, far from it, but the Supreme (Court) has ruled they are a disproportionate measure.

Infections are bound to decrease after next weekend when the French visitors return to their own country.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5049 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:42 am

Looks like Carlson and Wallace must be mates of BM? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 10700.html

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5050 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:44 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:42 am
Looks like Carlson and Wallace must be mates of BM? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 10700.html
Add this nincompoop to the list...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/va ... uxbndlbing
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5051 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:49 am

Perhaps they should get some nice young Catholic boys to 'ventilate' him X(

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5052 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:56 pm

More Karma? :-?

The compounded tragedy of conservative radio hosts dying of Covid-19 :-o #-o

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/30/politics ... index.html

(CNN)On Saturday night, Florida conservative talk radio show Marc Bernier, an outspoken opponent of masking and vaccines to combat Covid-19, died of Covid-19. Earlier in the day, Caleb Wallace, a prominent opponent of masks as a means to slow the spread of Covid-19, died of Covid-19.

Wallace was 30 years old. Bernier was 65.
The two deaths are simply the latest in a string of incidents in which crusaders against mask-wearing and vaccines have died -- or been hospitalized -- after being diagnosed with Covid-19.
Bernier, in fact, was the third conservative talk radio host who opined against masks and expressed skepticism about the vaccine to die from Covid-19 in recent weeks. Earlier this month Dick Farrel, a Florida-based talk radio host, passed away from the coronavirus. Just last week, Nashville-based host Phil Valentine, 65, died from the virus.
These deaths didn't have to happen. The three Covid-19 vaccines have each proven incredibly effective at lessening -- and almost eliminating -- hospitalizations and deaths of people who get the virus. The vaccines have been readily available for months, with many states and localities offering incentives -- financial and otherwise -- for those willing to get the shots.
Masking, in study after study after study, has proven to be -- along with social distancing -- our single best tool to prevent the rapid spread of the virus, up to and including the highly contagious Delta variant.
These are public health FACTS. They have zero to do with what political party you belong to. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The coronavirus doesn't care whether you are a Republican or a Democrat or don't follow politics at all. It isn't interested in whether you believe in it -- or subscribe to the best scientific guidelines about how to slow its spread. It will infect you if you believe in it or not. Or whether you voted for Donald Trump or Joe Biden or someone else.
A single death -- like those of the men listed above -- is a blow because it was almost certainly avoidable in each of these cases.
The story of Wallace, who leaves behind a wife and three children with a fourth on the way in a month or so -- is particularly devastating. As the San Angelo (Texas) Standard-Times wrote of Wallace:
"At first, Caleb refused to get tested for COVID-19, or go to the hospital.
"'He was so hard-headed,' Jessica [his wife] said. "'He didn't want to see a doctor, because he didn't want to be part of the statistics with COVID tests.'
"'Caleb instead began taking tablets of ivermectin (an anti-parasitic medicine the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has since urged people not to take for COVID-19), high doses of Vitamin C, zinc aspirin, and an inhaler. By July 30, however, Caleb was taken by a relative to the emergency room at Shannon Medical Center.'"
That is a crushing loss. As are the deaths of Bernier, Farrel and Valentine. That they spread their anti-science views on masking and vaccinations only to die from the very virus they scoffed at makes their lives (and deaths) a tragedy of significant proportions.
Valentine and Farrel changed their views on vaccines and masks as they grew sicker.
As The Washington Post wrote of Farrel:
"Farrel, a vocal supporter of former president Donald Trump, said on his Facebook page last month that inoculations were 'promoted by people who lied [to you] all along about masks, where the virus came from and the death toll.'"
"However, Farrel swiftly changed his perspective about the vaccine after he contracted the virus, his friends and family said."
Valentine, in a statement released by his radio station, said this after he had gotten the virus:
"Phil would like for his listeners to know that while he has never been an 'anti-vaxer' he regrets not being more vehemently 'pro-vaccine,' and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon."
It was too late for them. Might their deathbed conversions impact how their former listeners feel about masking and getting the vaccine? We can always hope.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5053 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:57 am

New Covid variant rears its Hydra head in South Africa...
A new Covid variant detected in South Africa has made headlines around the world.

On Monday the National Institute for Communicable Diseases in South Africa issued an alert about the “C.1.2 lineage”, saying it had been detected in all provinces in the country, but at a relatively low rate.

C.1.2 was first detected in May, the alert said, but Delta is still the dominant variant spreading in South Africa and the world.

A pre-print, non peer-reviewed paper published about the variant said C.1.2 “has since been detected across the majority of the provinces in South Africa and in seven other countries spanning Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania”.

The C.1.2 lineage has drawn the attention of scientists because despite its low rate in the population, it possesses mutations within the genome similar to those seen in variants of interest and variants of concern, like the Delta variant, as well as some additional mutations.

So what do we know about the new variant, and how concerned should we be?

Has the World Health Organization listed it as a variant of interest or concern?
Not yet. The National Institute for Communicable Diseases is continuing to monitor the frequency of C.1.2 and examine how it behaves. Tests to assess the impact of the mutations it possesses on infectiousness and vaccine resistance are still under way. So far, the virus has not fulfilled the WHO criteria to qualify as a “variant of concern” or “variant of interest”.

Variants of concern, such as Delta, are those that show increased transmissibility, virulence or change in clinical disease, and a decreased effectiveness of public health and social measures.

Variants of interest are those shown to cause community transmission in multiple clusters, and which have been detected in multiple countries, but have not yet necessarily proven to be more virulent or transmissible.

Then why was an alert issued?
A virologist and lecturer in immunology and infectious diseases with the University of Sydney’s Central Clinical School, Dr Megan Steain, said it’s because of the particular mutations that C.1.2 contains.

“It contains quite a few key mutations that we see in other variants that have gone on to become variants of interest or concern,” Steain said. “Any time we see those particular mutations come up, we’d like to keep an eye on the variant to see what it’s going to do. These mutations may affect things like whether it evades the immune response, or transmits faster.”

It will take some time for scientists to do the laboratory tests to see whether the virus is in fact fitter, she said.

“While we can say that it has a few key mutations that have led to other variants being more infectious, often what we find is the mutations work in synergy together which can overall lead to a fitter virus, potentially, or a weaker virus.

“All these studies in the lab take quite a while. There is a lot of work to be done.”

Is there a chance this variant might die out?
Yes. Covid-19 variants emerge all of the time and many of them disappear before they can become a real problem. Many virus variants are very fragile.

The key mutants are the ones that survive the changes and continue, and start to overgrow the variants of the past, which is what we saw with Delta.

“C.1.2 would have to be pretty good, pretty fit, and pretty fast to outcompete Delta at this stage,” Steain said. “I think we’re still very much at a point where this could die out, the prevalence is really low.

“We saw this with the Beta variant, and other variants of concern, where it looked like there could be a problem, they even had areas where they were transmitted and spread quite well. But then they haven’t really taken hold over time, and were overtaken by other variants of concern that are able to transmit faster. And so they just essentially die out.

“That could easily still happen with C.1.2.”
posting.php?f=64&mode=reply&t=5307&sid= ... 9386a77232
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5054 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:16 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:56 pm
More Karma? :-?

The compounded tragedy of conservative radio hosts dying of Covid-19 :-o #-o

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/30/politics ... index.html

(CNN)On Saturday night, Florida conservative talk radio show Marc Bernier, an outspoken opponent of masking and vaccines to combat Covid-19, died of Covid-19. Earlier in the day, Caleb Wallace, a prominent opponent of masks as a means to slow the spread of Covid-19, died of Covid-19.

"At first, Caleb refused to get tested for COVID-19, or go to the hospital.
"'He was so hard-headed,' Jessica [his wife] said. "'He didn't want to see a doctor, because he didn't want to be part of the statistics with COVID tests.'
"'Caleb instead began taking tablets of ivermectin (an anti-parasitic medicine the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has since urged people not to take for COVID-19), high doses of Vitamin C, zinc aspirin, and an inhaler. By July 30, however, Caleb was taken by a relative to the emergency room at Shannon Medical Center.'"
That is a crushing loss. As are the deaths of Bernier, Farrel and Valentine. That they spread their anti-science views on masking and vaccinations only to die from the very virus they scoffed at makes their lives (and deaths) a tragedy of significant proportions.
Valentine and Farrel changed their views on vaccines and masks as they grew sicker.
As The Washington Post wrote of Farrel:
"Farrel, a vocal supporter of former president Donald Trump, said on his Facebook page last month that inoculations were 'promoted by people who lied [to you] all along about masks, where the virus came from and the death toll.'"
"However, Farrel swiftly changed his perspective about the vaccine after he contracted the virus, his friends and family said."
Valentine, in a statement released by his radio station, said this after he had gotten the virus:
"Phil would like for his listeners to know that while he has never been an 'anti-vaxer' he regrets not being more vehemently 'pro-vaccine,' and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon."
It was too late for them. Might their deathbed conversions impact how their former listeners feel about masking and getting the vaccine? We can always hope.

PP
Darwinian principles at work here. Of course nobody wants to see anybody die like this, least of all due to wrong mindedness or sheer stupidity.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5055 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:39 am

Personally pleased to see them 'depart'. Hopefully no 'live feeds' from inside the coffins.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5056 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:16 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:39 am
Personally pleased to see them 'depart'. Hopefully no 'live feeds' from inside the coffins.
"We are gathered here today to bid farewell to the late clearly unvaccinated!"
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5057 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:29 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:39 am
For the greater good

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5058 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:55 pm

Me too. Deathbed Conversions - stuff and nonsense. They should film all these deniers as they struggle through their last days, wishing they'd been vaccinated, and play the clips every hour on TV.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5059 Post by Wodrick » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:14 pm

Hola,
Is overcast, 27c 73% not the most pleasant of days.

Just spent 2 hours scanning, copying and writing to a. The Post Office/Customs and b. Amazon Spain as we now have two packages stuck in Customs.

The tax should be UK paid therefore Spanish tax should not be payable.
This has happened four times now, the first two were returned to sender.

KleeningKraut has a catalogue of symptoms, which the unvaccinated vegan fool thinks is "Only Flu"
SM has told her in no uncertain terms to get tested.

We wait.

Much, much quieter in Torrox Costa today a Multitude of spaces in Mucky Donna's car park, wonderful.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5060 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:55 pm

Many hospitals here reporting that ICU beds are in short supply due to rampant Covid outbreaks.
They warn that their is no capacity remaining to take in routine emergency patients, ie. heart attack, stroke, and accident victims.
I am all about compassion for all suffers from whatever affliction but now wonder if triage should be performed with unvaccinated Covid sufferers going to the back of the line.
There are many reports of people with treatable conditions being turned away and succumbing to things that should be survivable with basic care.

PP