A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#2081 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:50 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:01 pm
With a World population of about 50 billion we can afford to lose a lot more than 7.8 billion.

P N, have I missed an almost 7-fold increase in the current world population during my afternoon nap or were you extrapolating to a future date where we’ll all be suffocating from our own CO2 and other emissions? i-)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2082 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:03 am

I was pulling UP's leg. He talked of 86% and the other 7.8 billion. If the 7.8 billion is 14%...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2083 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:05 am

Time for a staycation in the UK, to avoid all the Coronabollocks and quarantine risk?

Here’s a touching story from recent holidaymakers in the UK’s too popular beauty spots;

“My girlfriend and I took a trip up to Ambleside last week, arriving the day before Maskgeddon. We were denied an early check-in as the room-cleaning regime at our B&B involved multiple rounds of antibacterial fumigation!

The National Trust seems to have completely lost the plot! The day of our first outing, we visited the Aira Force waterfall and parked in one of their car parks near the top of the trail down to the waterfall. As we walked towards the trail, a bedwetter loudly informed me that there was a one-way system on the trails, before we’d even reached the sign. When we got back to the car, I noticed that the Trust has helpfully supplied a hand-sanitiser dispenser embedded in a tree stump near the pay & display machine! Goodness knows how many thousands of lives they’ve already saved with such thoughtful measures!

For the rest of the trip I refused to muzzle up, and I wasn’t challenged at all – in fact most shop staff seemed pleased to be seeing a human face rather than a soggy rag. When we were up on to the fells, it was (mercifully) easy to forget all the absurdity going on down in the valleys…”

This is the same National Trust who lost many volunteers a couple of years ago following their brilliant scheme to force their (mostly elderly & mature) volunteer staff to wear LGBT ‘rainbow’ symbols as that was the current fad infecting Trust management. ~X(

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2084 Post by Ibbie » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:16 pm

I've nicked this off the book of Face.
Well worth a read.
Some of you are allowing fear and policies devoid of scientifically accurate data to destroy the country you live in and ruin your life.
We have a constitutional right to take risks. Life is full of bacteria and viruses, many of which spread before symptoms manifest and after they subside.
We have a sovereign right to receive OR refuse vaccines.
The data was inaccurate at best; purposely overblown to justify government overreaction at worst.
Stop allowing the government to destroy:
The food supply;
Small businesses;
Medical autonomy;
Access to healthcare;
Mass gatherings;
Privacy rights;
Our mental health & freedom
When the "new normal" is filled with starvation, depression, suicide, child abuse, domestic violence, imprisonment, governmental spying, and pure DESPERATION, the "virus" is going to look preferable to the world you helped facilitate.
I'm going to turn this around on people from now on. Those who say I'm (or anyone that supports this) putting money over lives by wanting the country back open for business, hear this:
-YOU don't care about the people who will kill themselves out of hopelessness
-YOU don't care about small businesses that'll close their doors (THEIR LIVELIHOOD) permanently
-YOU don't care about the children/women/men who will be victims of domestic abuse
-YOU don't care about people defaulting on their mortgages
-YOU don't care about bills going unpaid by families with ZERO income right now
-YOU don't care about people wondering where their next meal will come from
-YOU don't care about the people who will lose their sobriety and slip back into alcoholism
-YOU don't care about the people who will starve
-YOU support the inevitable looting that'll take place
-YOU don't care about anyone who is murdered the longer this shut down goes on
-YOU don't care about people's mental health
-YOU don't care about the children who DO need teachers and educators to guild & educate them
-YOU don't care about the economy crashing down around us
-YOU DON'T CARE.
-YOU love your shackles
-YOU are pathetic, begging your leaders for MORE shut down and MORE regulations and MORE handouts
I will NOT tolerate another person telling me that I don't care about lives.
I care about the situation in its entirety.
But YOU don't care about any of that so...
YOU stay home.
YOU wear a mask.
YOU live in fear.
I on the other hand will not as is my soverign right to choose NOT TO!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2085 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:03 am
I was pulling UP's leg. He talked of 86% and the other 7.8 billion. If the 7.8 billion is 14%...
Nice one! My grasp of maths sank to an abysmal level after it was my best ‘O’ level pass, much to the surprise of all.

However, percentages are within the scope of ‘O’ level so I can’t get away using that excuse.

Innit amazing how presentation of a case can go horribly wrong when looked at out of context or in the absence of a definite roadmap?

It’s all too subtle for an old man like me who’s latter days were spent multiplying my height above the threshold by 3, adding a few corrections and gliding onto the G/S with the thrust levers closed.

That and the odd glance at bank & cc statements to make sure I’m not being ripped off is now my limit...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2086 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:44 pm

I predict tomorrow that Iran will overtake UK in number of cases and Mexico in the number of deaths. Given that Mexico has double the population and Iran a quarter more those are not figures our politicians or wonderful NHS bosses will wish to broadcast.

No matter how we might plead that our figures are more accurate or Belgium that they assume CV deaths if there is doubt, we are still worse by any metric

The only thing we might say is we test more so we find more.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2087 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm

On the BBC website is a table showing the number of deaths more that average (previous years) over the first months of the Covid pandemic. The worst inevitably is England 7.5%, Spain 6.7%, down a list of countries with decreasing deaths, and right at the bottom is - guess what ? France 0.2%. which only goes to show our Gallic cousins are the best at fiddling statistics.

Just like the French have not had a single case of Mad Cow Disease.....

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2088 Post by Ibbie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:03 am

Mrs IB has a friend, who is a French resident. She has just cancelled her annual trip with her daughters to visit her parents in the UK that was due this month.

The reason is being that she can't trust either the British or French Governments not to put more restrctions in, which the other will then retaliate to with tit for tat measures. This could leave her stranded in the UK she feels.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2089 Post by barkingmad » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:50 am

OFSO wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm
On the BBC website is a table showing the number of deaths more that average (previous years) over the first months of the Covid pandemic. The worst inevitably is England 7.5%, Spain 6.7%, down a list of countries with decreasing deaths, and right at the bottom is - guess what ? France 0.2%. which only goes to show our Gallic cousins are the best at fiddling statistics.

Just like the French have not had a single case of Mad Cow Disease.....

But are not the PHE figures being queried already due to the “being run over by a bus” death causes attributed to Covid-1984?

So is it not time that the Hancock & Co circus should STFU until the figures are verified and corrected?

And we are still being bombarded with the word “deaths”, not ‘deaths per 100k of population” or whatever RATE is a proper measure. I recall earlier in this Project Fear Part 2 that the figures for Italy fatalities were less than the UK but that statistic conveniently forgot the UK’s population was 10% greater than that of Italy!

Is it any wonder there are many of us out here with NO confidence nor faith in the BS being promulgated on a daily, if not hourly basis by our esteemed leaders?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2090 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 am

I see that the World's 5th most eloquent leader of the country with the 3rd highest rate of excess mortality in Europe has been rebuked for uncaveated comparisons with England.

She has form in this regard as she was very economical with the truth about scholastic results earlier in the year.

Most eloquent does not equate with most HONEST.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2091 Post by barkingmad » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:35 am

I see that the World's 5th most eloquent leader of the country with the 3rd highest rate of excess mortality in Europe has been rebuked for uncaveated comparisons with England.

Ah go on, go on, gizza clue as to who she is please?

It's too hot for researching... :-w

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2092 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:47 am

Unnecessary panic, Ibbie. There has never been a requirement for persons transitting France to enter quarantine there. Just fill out the forms (we did) and have proof of final destination, Green Residence Form for Spain. If airlines stop, Eurostar to Paris, TGV Paris to Madrid, express from there.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2093 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:18 pm

Wee willy.

How about the other nonsense: the leak of the planned lock down in Italy led to a bomb burst of people getting out of Dodge.

UK's announcements of lock down or easing of restrictions that were advertised in advance. People said if then why not now?

Now Government has made immediate orders they are again criticised. They can't win.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2094 Post by llondel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 pm

I'm quite enjoying the stay at home part, although that's being said with the privilege of a job that can be done from home so I get paid, and I appreciate that this is not the situation for everyone. I get to reclaim an hour and a half each working day due to lack of commuting (yet to experience a significant traffic jam on the stairs in the morning) and the fuel bill and other car maintenance stuff has dropped too.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2095 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Llondel, I stopped working 10 years ago but I used the 'work' when I commuted by car. I would run through my plan for the day, what I needed to do etc.

In practice my 90% proactive plan would frequently become 90% reactive. With home working you can still make mind plans but I imagine it is more difficult to separate out house chores from thinking time

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2096 Post by llondel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:11 pm

In some ways it's better, if I have a mental block on the work stuff I can stop the clock, go clean the bathroom or sweep the floor and come back with the brain reset. More productive all-round than the office "stare out of the window" or "click on Facebook" options.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2097 Post by om15 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:30 am

Yesterday the roads of north Dorset were logged jammed with large cars towing caravans heading to the coast.

It is not the fault of Boris Johnson or his Government that it seems to be spiraling out of control, far from it, they have made the situation gin clear and expect the population to display a modicum of common sense, no chance.
We no longer go out of our own small community, the coast is full of outsiders not wearing masks, not social distancing and pretending that life is normal, people in the small market towns around here are making life as safe as possible, you can get a hair cut and visit the dentist with little risk and life is as manageable and safe as it can be.

Stopping the furlough would be a good start, if the stupid infected holiday makers were't supplied with free money they would stay at home, as lamented by OFSO they don't seem to be reaping the rewards of their stupidity, others are doing that for them.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2098 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:04 am

Om15, I can't comment on the shopping aspect as we simply switched to deliveries and C&C though our local Waitrose car park is always half empty.

I wonder is the problem has been made worse on the beaches as they can't go to Benidorm?

Even without the virus we would avoid crowds like this. Mrs PN was worse, if we went to Sainsbury and the trolley park was empty she would refuse to even enter the store.

We went to Lulworth Cove last year. She was bitterly disappointed to find it was not deserted. However a 100 yards along the crowd thinned to one or two people.

My daughter lives on Sandbanks. She told me that many people considered a £50 parking fine good value for a day out. Last weekend the police closed the road except to buses and residents. Car park numbers were limited, and the whole area became a tow away zone. Beach wardens were on duty 0900-2100 when beach cleaners took over.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2099 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Do as we say not as we do!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/la ... s-n1235646

LA party for first responders appeared to disregard social distancing standards
Bar says it'll no longer rent space to private parties after weekend event did not adhere to "social distancing expectations."
Aug. 3, 2020, 12:14 PM MST
By Janhvi Bhojwani and David K. Li
A famed Los Angeles bar rented space for a party - purportedly for first responders, who have worked tirelessly during the coronavirus pandemic - that appeared to disregard social distancing standards.

Owners of the Sassafras Saloon - on the famed Vine Street between Hollywood and Santa Monica Boulevards - said they would no longer rent their space to private parties following a controversial celebration.

The bar was rented with the understanding that guests would be outside and at a safe distance from one another, owners said.

"Friday’s gathering was arranged by an individual who wanted to honor a group of first responders," according to a statement by bar owners, the 1933 Group.

"As this was a private individual’s reservation, it was presented to us in a way that inferred we could expect it to comply with all guidelines, including occupants to be outside on two patios, so it was permitted. We did everything possible to provide our staff and guests with ample outdoor spaces that completely adhered to current safety precautions and social distancing expectations."

However, the progressive activist group Knock L.A., which appears to support defunding of the L.A.County Sheriff's Department, reported that maskless revelers were enjoying loud music, drinking and dancing inside the Sassafras Saloon.

The group reported that the party was thrown for the sheriff's department- though the law enforcement agency and bar managers both said there was no immediate evidence that deputies were involved.

"The persons identified in the video are not employees of the Sheriff's Department and this event was not hosted by the LASD," and an investigation has been launched, the L.A. County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

The bar's owners acknowledged that much of the event was conducted indoors against state health mandates. [-X

"Unfortunately, there were a number of guests that did not comply. We unequivocally do not condone this behavior and have no intention of agreeing to additional private events, charitable or otherwise, until the state allows," the 1933 Group said.

pp

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2100 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:19 am

This article is well written; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... a-NOW.html :-bd

I couldn't agree more. :YMAPPLAUSE:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.