Coronabollocks..

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#4181 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:38 am

What excuse will they come up with when Joe is still the Prez on the 5th? :-? :-??

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4182 Post by Boac » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:22 am

Poor old BM will be turning in his (insert wherever you think he is*) - the anti vaxxers are in crisis after Peter Hitchens had his 1st dose of the vaccine. =))

*Probably the cupboard under his stairs.......................

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4183 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:08 pm

Tony Blair: UK’s fast vaccine rollout is no Brexit dividend

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-coro ... ony-blair/

Quite how he arrived at that I don't know. We always followed EU rules. Would Cameron, Clegg or Corbin done it differently?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4184 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:57 pm

Phillipa Whitford, SNP Health spokesperson in the House of Commons, has just been interviewed on the BBC about the Brazil variant of the virus and she said, quite clearly, the Scottish Government does not have the power to close the border between England and Scotland, only Border Force has that authority. Yet only a few days ago, a certain First Minister was threatening to do exactly that, was she not... or is that something else I "mis-heard"?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4185 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:38 pm

4ma, indeed, however the chief or deputy of Police Scotland said words the the effect "Can't"

Maybe I misheard too

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4186 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:53 am

RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4187 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:14 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:53 am
This is a fun read IMO; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... Covid.html. :D
Nice pic of Bowes Museum.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4188 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:25 am

Mention of drones above, can you shoot a drone?

Provided you observe safety precautions, ie no people and not in public, you may discharge an air powered weapon.

A drone may not be operated near people or property.

If a drone is in rifle range it is outwith the law. Of course it might be a police drone. Do police drones have flashing blue lights?

Asking for a friend.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#4189 Post by Dushan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:17 pm

Amazon plans to start delivering with drones AKA "skeet shooting with presents".
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4190 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:33 am

Texas and Mississippi to lift mask mandates and roll back Covid restrictions
Gov. Greg Abbott said Texas would be back open "100 percent" by March 10, and Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves said his state's mask mandate would end Wednesday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/go ... 0-n1259329

U.S. NEWS
Texas and Mississippi to lift mask mandates and roll back Covid restrictions
Gov. Greg Abbott said Texas would be back open "100 percent" by March 10, and Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves said his state's mask mandate would end Wednesday.

March 2, 2021, 1:30 PM MST / Updated March 2, 2021, 3:42 PM MST
By Tim Fitzsimons
The governors of Texas and Mississippi both announced on Tuesday they would be lifting their states' mask mandates and rolling back many of their Covid-19 health mandates, just one day after the CDC warned against complacency in the face of emerging coronavirus variants.

"It is now time to open Texas 100 percent," Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said Tuesday afternoon at Montelongo's Mexican Restaurant in Lubbock.

"Covid has not suddenly disappeared," he said, "but state mandates are no longer needed."

Shortly after Abbott's announcement, Gov. Tate Reeves announced that he would end Mississippi's statewide mask mandate, effective Wednesday of this week.

"Our hospitalizations and case numbers have plummeted, and the vaccine is being rapidly distributed," Reeves tweeted. "It is time!"

On Monday, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky strongly cautioned against the very rollbacks that Abbott and Reeves were about to implement.

"I am really worried about reports that more states are rolling back the exact public health measures we have recommended to protect people from Covid-19," Walensky said at the daily White House Covid-19 briefing.

"Please hear me clearly," Walensky said. "At this level of cases with variants spreading, we stand to completely lose the hard earned ground we have gained."

President Joe Biden echoed those concerns Tuesday, even as he announced the U.S. will have enough Covid-19 vaccine doses for every adult by the end of May.

"This fight is far from over," Biden said. "Though we celebrate the news ... I urge all Americans, please keep washing your hands, stay socially distanced, wear masks."

Abbott said his new executive order would rescind "most" of his prior Covid-19 executive orders, and that all businesses would be allowed to open "100 percent," effective March 10.

The end of the mask mandate makes Texas, population 29 million, the largest state to end a rule aimed to slow the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

In a speech championing Texas’ economic prowess, Abbott said that “too many Texans were sidelined from employment opportunities” while businesses operated at reduced capacity because of coronavirus restrictions.

Abbott said the Lone Star State is today in a "completely different position” than it was when Abbott first issued a coronavirus executive order in March 2020.

“We now have vaccines,” Abbott said, adding that Texas set a one-day record of vaccine administration on Tuesday and is now averaging 1 million vaccine dose administrations per week.

Abbott also claimed that the millions of Texans who caught and recovered from Covid mean that millions “have the proven ability to beat this disease."

“Covid still exists,” Abbott said, "but it is clear from the recoveries, from the vaccinations, from the reduced hospitalizations, and from the safe practices that Texans are using, that state mandates are no longer needed.”

In subsequent tweets, Reeves said that Mississippi was "rewarded" for keeping its businesses mostly open "with more jobs and economic recovery."

"Executive orders that interfered with peoples’ lives were the worst, but the only possible, intervention for much of the last year," Reeves said. "Now, we are putting our focus towards rapid vaccine distribution. We are getting out of the business of telling people what they can and cannot do."

My next door neighbor came up to me this evening telling me how great it was that Texas was doing away with most anti-Covid precautions. He also is very Trumpish, believes Biden is getting credit for Trump's anti-Covid measures even though he thinks the vaccine is a scam. He thinks the Chinese are taking control of the world from the Jews and elites.
I'm sure he sleeps in QANON jammies. :(( :))
He told me what an idiot I was for believing the news about Covid deaths or anything related.
A very uncomfortable "chat" with the neighbor.
Oh, well.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4191 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:25 am

No prizes for guessing which states will be seeing spikes in cases before the end of the month then. Given the number of them who seem to also state that they're not going to have the vaccine, we probably ought to give them a class nomination (like a class lawsuit) over on the Darwin thread.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4192 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:39 am

+1

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4193 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:56 pm

There was a little friendly spat on the Rant thread about Covid deaths and Country comparisons. While deaths are certainly an ultimate source attribution of cause is something else.

Now we have just made another correction. Today it was stated that over the whole period of the pandemic the Scottish figures missed 172 deaths. These were added in today. Yesterday it was noted that 350 deaths, mainly in the south east had been omitted.

Now we think we have a most accurate office of National Statistics but they are bound by the accuracy of the data in. They obviously keep refining the data and probably spot anomalies.

I suggest we have little knowledge of other countries methology. I think Germany should have excellent data but remember it will be from a different structure from our NHS and from 16 autonomous states. Do we believe their data is error free?

We were also told that Belgian stats were high as they possibly over attributed a cause of deaths.

525 extra deaths in UK is of course a bare blip against the total but is it the only error.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4194 Post by Woody » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:20 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4195 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 pm

Following clinical validation work in Wales, three individuals previously reported as having died within 28 days of a positive test result have been removed from the figures. Public Health Scotland identified an additional 3 recently registered deaths within 28 days of a positive test result. The total number of deaths in Wales, Scotland and the United Kingdom have been adjusted accordingly.
1. It just shows that even a World beating statistical system gets it wrong initially.
2. At least the overall numbers don't change.
3. Scotland's low death rate was a myth and understated. Will wee Jimmy now apologise?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4196 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:16 am

I don't know where Spain sourced the needles for the Corona virus vaccinations but a large number were defective - crucially, not all. Plungers only went in half way. And nobody noticed. Records were kept of who had been vaccinated but obviously not of who had only received a half dose. Health services wondering what to do. Answer, very little. (Nothing).

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4197 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 am

Does anyone know why Ursula fond-of-Lying is wishing to prevent the contractual export from Italy of ?250,000 doses? of AZ vaccines when they appear to have over 800 million of same unused (and probably running out of storage limits) due to the apparently political 'Let's punish those Brits by making up scare stories about the vaccine' attempt?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4198 Post by boing » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:44 pm

BOAC
Probably because envy, ego and spite are closely associated with a craving for power.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4199 Post by llondel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:51 am

Boac wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 am
Does anyone know why Ursula fond-of-Lying is wishing to prevent the contractual export from Italy of ?250,000 doses? of AZ vaccines when they appear to have over 800 million of same unused (and probably running out of storage limits) due to the apparently political 'Let's punish those Brits by making up scare stories about the vaccine' attempt?
Is this the same EU that was ranting about its own contract?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4200 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:54 am

From what I hear from France and Germany, the EU is pushing stories to the media about the disaster in the UK regarding vaccinations. Few there have been vaccinated, vaccines not working, no second dose. Motto: if you can't get something, say it's no good anyway and you didn't need it in the first place. Pathetic.