A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#321 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:38 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 am
The press are hyping the living *sh*t* out of this!
The verdict will have to wait until after it's all over, and I'd think a public enquiry will be held to "learn lessons".

It's a huge panicky overreaction, with the Worlds Governments worried that they might be seen in a poor light if they don't join right in with ever more extreme measures.

Old people die.
Influenza epidemics are common in Winter.

People are dieing WITH Coronabollocks, not FROM it.

The banks as usual, are profiteering from it- in the U.K. At least, meanwhile the economy is going down the ****.

People need to grow up and accept their own, and others mortality- we're all getting it in the long term.

This panic is a function of our pussy, snowflake mentality.
Listen to some calming music Atom... take a deep breath and then another. ;)))

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#322 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 am

These folks are in the Atom camp... Virus, what virus?

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#323 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 am

Link 404 error

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#324 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:57 am

Amazing, TGG. I can only assume there is a deliberate push by these folk to acquire the virus - that is the kinder assumption.

Problem is, what are they going to do with their own copy of it, if not further spread it to all?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#325 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:57 am

Hey Gobbers.
You think I've lost it?
I think the World's lost it!

Did you know about 150,000 die every day worldwide? That's normal.

We will kill more people with our reaction to Coronabollocks and the ensuing economic devastation, than Coronabollocks would have done. And bankrupt ourselves into the bargain.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#326 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:15 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 am
The press are hyping the living *sh*t* out of this!
The verdict will have to wait until after it's all over, and I'd think a public enquiry will be held to "learn lessons".

It's a huge panicky overreaction, with the Worlds Governments worried that they might be seen in a poor light if they don't join right in with ever more extreme measures.

Old people die.
Influenza epidemics are common in Winter.

The banks as usual, are profiteering from it- in the U.K. At least, meanwhile the economy is going down the ****.

People need to grow up and accept their own, and others mortality- we're all getting it in the long term.

This panic is a function of our pussy, snowflake mentality.
And with a couple of 'celebrity' endorsements to your thesis (Reagan and Hitchins) haven't you proved your point?

I think not.

What you've proven is how easy it is to appear courageous on anonymous internet forums.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#327 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am

Alright Jetex.
Is there anything in the quote you used that's wrong?

Personally, I'm not any more courageous than the next guy. But I'm not a bloody snowflake either.

Here's a prediction. Soon, countries will have to resile from their "lockdown" position, as they are overwhelmed by the consequences of it. Wait and watch.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#328 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:23 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am
Alright Jetex.

Personally, I'm not any more courageous than the next guy. But I'm not a bloody snowflake either.

Here's a prediction. Soon, countries will have to resile from their "lockdown" position, as they are overwhelmed by the consequences of it. Wait and watch.
You make a number of assertions that if not wrong are unproven,

If you think the delta increase in seasonal fatalities in Italy and Spain is press hype I pity you.

The lock downs are intended to flatten the growth curve, and will be withdrawn ASAP, but I'm sure you knew that anyway.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#329 Post by om15 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 am

I earlier listened to Nick Ferrai inviting people to consider whether bankrupting the nation was a good idea in order to save old peoples lives, many of whom will die shortly anyway. As this progresses there may well be a school of thought that will rebel against the restrictions, just noticed quite a high police presence in town.

Arrived at Tescos at 0745, had to join a queue of people in the car park at 2 metre spacing in order to gain access, took about 20 minutes or so. The store had everything, quick fill up then another queue for a till, lots of staff issuing instructions and wipes to clean the trolley handle, out by 0900, very impressed with the military precision of it all, by this time the outside queue had grown by several hundred yards doubling backwards and forwards, probably an hour or so wait, even more perhaps. As from Friday only one person per trolley allowed in, so missis om will have to face the challenge alone.
Feeling mildly guilty that I am being inconvenienced so little, I have no financial hardship and the pub restriction is compensated for by drinking Adnams in my shed.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#330 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:01 am

Yes, it's good to know that the panic buying that characterised the first weeks of the situation is being mitigated. My dad, aged 89, and in North Yorkshire, (before the lock down) was going for his groceries during 9-10am. This time being allocated to pensioners. But, he said, this was clearly being abused by young people. The store had no way to enforce the rule they'd set and many shelves of staples were being emptied

So much for that famous British stiff upper lip. That rumour will be subject to 'lessons learned' after this is over.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#331 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:22 am

Prince Charles and Camilla are currently living with six members of staff,

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#332 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:45 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am
Alright Jetex.

Hi Atom, just gently ribbing you. I am apt to be less sanguine than you are and while I think the current measures being taken are appropriate, I do believe that the financial consequences of this outbreak, either way, overreaction or not, are going to be parlous. Most of the world has been caught napping with their pants down on this one.

While we are not entirely ad idem on this, you are clearly no more of a snowflake than I or the other folks here are! :)

Whatever the case, take care and fly righteously brother! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#333 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 am

om15 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 am
I earlier listened to Nick Ferrai inviting people to consider whether bankrupting the nation was a good idea in order to save old peoples lives, many of whom will die shortly anyway.
But of course the bankrupting of the nation IS pure speculation. Almost all nations are subject to the same financial stress of these efforts to mitigate it. And the lock down strategy has been proven to work in Wuhan.

But I expect the tin-foil hat brigade will be along shortly to tell us about China's master plan to ruin the economies of their customer base.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#334 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 am

To lay our cards on the table: we support AtomKraft. Firstly we know of half a dozen cases of Corona infection over the past few months. People involved were aged up to the mid-seventies and in one case grossly overweight and on constant medication. Most were severely ill, some required hospitalisation, all were on medication to alleviate bronchial problems. And none of them died and all have recovered. Not rumour, fact.
Secondly we know people on chemo for cancer, or needing urgent medical treatment. In every case, and I do mean every, treatment has been suspended. In one case of leukemia, drugs have been couriered to our friend who has been told to inject herself. Luckily she's a retired physician.
Is cancelling routine medical support really fair just to save us oldies lives ?
Thirdly, leave Italy out of it and let's look at Spain, which I know well having lived there for years. Luckily (although expensively) we have private insurance and do not have to use the so-called health system. But read my Chaos in Spain posts. Child with fast-growing tumour on back, surgery put off and put off for five months. Parasitic infection, antibiotics prescribed. Our friend David who died unexpectedly in the clinic in Figueras, no death certificate issued and cremated as usual two days later. Catalan pharmacies not being reimbursed for public prescriptions by Madrid as a political act, we private patients subsidise them. (Our friend Marta owns a pharmacy. Her mum and dad keep her business open). On and on. The Spanish health system was a disaster waiting to happen.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#335 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:56 am

No sweat Gobbers me old China.
Speaking about China, may a mighty non-communicable pox alight on every one of those slitty eyed twats!

Thanks OFSO.
Glad I'm not the only sceptic.
Nice to hear from someone who literally KNOWS what (and who) he's talking about, as opposed to those who repeatedly regurgitate the "consensus" view. 👍

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#336 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:59 am

So......there is a difference between the UK and other countries. How much ? Nobody knows, no one will know for months. Is the response of the UK Government in proportion and fair ? No.
Hype.....an appropriate word.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#337 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 am

There won't be too long to wait. The models indicate that in the UK will hit a peak around the 5th April.

BTW, it's not news that COVID-19 does more damage to people with pre-existing medical conditions. Very common conditions such as diabetes and obesity make one more vulnerable to the disease. Smokers too. So will they die because of being overweight smokers with a predisposition towards sweeties or COVID-19? The debate will run and run.

This suggests that our friends in the USA with a large proportion of obesity across the generations are likely to suffer. And makes Trump's notion about getting the USA back to normal for Easter seem pretty unlikely.
Nice to hear from someone who literally KNOWS what (and who) he's talking about, as opposed to those who repeatedly regurgitate the "consensus" view
It's always pleasing when someone with anecdotal evidence comes out and supports ones own predispositions.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#338 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am

Boris Johnson has tested positive for Covid-19...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#339 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am

Meanwhile in Abbey Road...

Zebra crossing spruced up...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#340 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:30 am

Have you noticed that only what Germans call prominent citizens - Charles, BoJo, various show biz people - are said to have 'mild symptoms'. The rest of us would apparently have raging Covid and are dying in our millions. Joe Bloggs and thousands like him getting a mild case and recovering isn't worth reporting.