A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Coronabollocks..

#1821 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Shamelessly stolen for TOP when we were still there:

Belgium is nice because:
It is a small hence you cross it quickly and serves as a buffer between Germany and France
It has plenty of beers and
It is a nice place to fight a small thermonuclear war (if needed during the Cold War).

Flemish is a harsh version of Dutch - listening on Dutch TV is far more enjoyable than listening the the Flemish radio

French female teachers are injected with special chemicals in the University turning them to nasty creatures when they teach French.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1822 Post by ian16th » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:30 pm
I'm not keen on Belgium, but then 'what is Belgium'? It's a state that isn't, a people that aren't, a nowhere land, a buffer between four other countries.
It has beautiful towns and cities, a couple anyway, good food, and a good railway system which is a plus because you can get out pretty quickly.
It's a country that is both confused and confusing, with some places having entirely different names in the different languages. I'm not a great fan of Belgian chocolate, the Swiss do it far better, nor of the 'typical' Belgian beers.
The people, certainly the Walloon lot, seem to be inbred, and they all speak a weird dialect of other languages. That brings me to perhaps one good thing about Belgium, which is that instead of saying ' four twenties ten seven' (quatre vingt dix sept) when they mean 97, they say 'nonante sept'. But 'sewenennegentig' is even better even if it looks a bit awkward.
They also use septante for 70!
Cynicism improves with age

Seenenough

#1823 Post by Seenenough » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:36 pm

Another example of blatant media bias.

"Two federally-run Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitals during the Obama administration used the term "Kung Flu" in official materials, along with imagery of a monkey in a karate suit and a ninja wearing a flu mask.

President Trump's use of the term “Kung Flu” to refer to the coronavirus has drawn accusations of racism and insensitivity, but the use of the term under the Obama administration has gone unreported.

In 2015, the Tennessee Valley Healthcare System's official website urged patients to "Become a Kung Flu Fighter! Get Your Flu Shot!" The website has been taken down, but a copy of it was retained by an Internet archiving website."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1824 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:55 pm

A proctologist told me that Belgians usually have square rectums. (Or rectumi ?)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1825 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 am

ian16th wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 pm

They also use septante for 70!
In Switzerland they use octante for 80

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1826 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:20 am

My car will not run on 80 Octante

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1827 Post by om15 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:31 am

Mix some hydraulic oil in the tank, it will then.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1828 Post by Ibbie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:42 am

More stupidity from the nobrainers. Allowing tables on pub car parks.

Where do you put the cars that the would be customers arrive in?

Capetonian

#1829 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:02 am

I learnt my French in Suisse Romande and the frogs hate it when you use the Swiss/Belgian septante, octante/huitante, nonante. Parfois je le fais just to wind them up, and because I can!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1830 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:29 pm

A 114-year-old Ethiopian man has recovered from coronavirus, according to a Facebook post by Dr Yared Agidew, who runs the hospital in the capital, Addis Ababa, where the man was being treated.

So that's OK then.

And breathe and relax.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1831 Post by llondel » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:17 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:29 pm
A 114-year-old Ethiopian man has recovered from coronavirus, according to a Facebook post by Dr Yared Agidew, who runs the hospital in the capital, Addis Ababa, where the man was being treated.

So that's OK then.

And breathe and relax.
Doesn't help me, I'm not a 114 yr old Ethiopian man.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1832 Post by llondel » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:18 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:59 pm
Shamelessly stolen for TOP when we were still there:

Belgium is nice because:
It is a small hence you cross it quickly and serves as a buffer between Germany and France
It has plenty of beers and
It is a nice place to fight a small thermonuclear war (if needed during the Cold War).

Flemish is a harsh version of Dutch - listening on Dutch TV is far more enjoyable than listening the the Flemish radio

French female teachers are injected with special chemicals in the University turning them to nasty creatures when they teach French.
"Belgium" is the rudest word in the universe, which is "completely banned in all parts of the Galaxy, except in one part, where they could not possibly know what it means."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1833 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:47 am

Belgium was the only place I was taken hostage, along with about 15 others.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1834 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 am

Back to Bollocks, went into 4ma's favourite shopping precinct, what appears to be an early 1960s attempt at a shopping mall in Grantham, first time out of the car in town in 3 months. Good news, easy parking. Bad news everything else.

Saw a couple in face masks. Marker tape on the floor, seems to be like that old superstition, don't walk on the cracks. Everyone tried to keep 2 metres away FROM THE WALLS.

Remembering the last time I ventured out people were in winter garb, today in a heat wave - woman in car ahead in a abbreviated form of hot pants, mmmm, woman with two red bras on - one back to front - young woman in opticians also in pants, nice colourful tats on both thighs.

Back at car, Mrs PN passed out the hand gel, cleaned hands, cleaned credit card, cleaned phone, cleaned glasses, opened car door, removed mask, cleaned hands, went home, clothes in washer, showered.

Joy! Get to do that all again in two weeks when I get to pick up my new glasses.

Learnt one thing though, face masks make you deaf, even with hearing aids.

Capetonian

#1835 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:06 am

Flemish is a harsh version of Dutch
Remember those famous Belgian comedians, most people don't know that Belgium had anyone famous, let alone comedians? They were called Coff 'n Spitt.

French females are injected with special chemicals turning them to nasty creatures
I removed irrelevant words.

Disclaimers :
1) A significant number of the famous persons claimed by the French are in fact Belgian, and Belgium has produced many famous artists.
2) Many French females do not conform to this stereotype.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1836 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:25 am

Remember Leclerc from Hello Hello? We saw his double in Bruges. He had this musical hand cart. He sat by it and turned a handle and a collection of wheels, pulleys and so on played quite passable music. He had a hat on the box for money and lacked only a monkey.

Idle thought, did they make these things just so little old men could sit in the street, playing music and collecting money from passing German soldiers?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1837 Post by ian16th » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:19 pm

I've had some very nice meals in Brussels.

Many a bucket of mussels with a bowl of chips. The mayonnaise is not compulsory.

I learnt to stay away from the touristy places very quickly.
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1838 Post by Boac » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:43 pm

I've had some excellent meals in Sydney.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1839 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:37 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:19 pm
I've had some very nice meals in Brussels.

Many a bucket of mussels with a bowl of chips. The mayonnaise is not compulsory.

I learnt to stay away from the touristy places very quickly.
Quite, main square in Bruges, our order of moules and frites with beers for 4 was quickly amended to 4 feet and 1_frites when we saw the prices.

Reminds of the second time we got detained. The cafe for so confused between orders and bills, wrong drinks to wrong tables, wrong bills are that she locked the door, no one in, no one out until she got it sorted.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1840 Post by Boac » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:52 pm

May I recommend 'Preview' before 'Submit'?