Coronabollocks..

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#241 Post by barkingmad » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:07 am

Here’s a little something to cheer us all up. Especially for those without TV or radio and a shortage of good books for reading;

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/376/376-h/376-h.htm

I just hope the UK’s COBRA crisis team has a copy to hand to inspire their next prohibition?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#242 Post by om15 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:50 am

Out of curiosity I took a stroll through the market place just now, the cafes are cleverly getting around the ban by moving their tables out on to the pavements and serving tea/coffee in take away cardboard cups and slabs of cake on takeaway cardboard plates, everyone is huddled up munching away and breathing over each other and the pavements are full of pedestrian traffic jams. Boots are only allowing one person at a time in and the queue is around the block.
I took a trip to the village Co Op, bought exactly what I needed, (lime pickle, a Daily Telegraph and some nan bread) and the check out girl said that they had "loads of stuff out the back", so it looks like we are ok for the time being.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#243 Post by ian16th » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:12 pm

We have our 1st local case.
He is the head honcho the local VW franchise. Been to Germany on business and brought it back with him.

A good time to have a Mazda!

The local municipality seem to have left the beaches open, but banned swimming in the oggin! I suppose to protect the fish.
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#244 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:12 pm

A good time to have a Mazda!
Funny every time I hear the word Corona I think of the old Toyota Collola (Corona)!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#245 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm

We are making a huge over reaction in response to nothing.

Here's a guy who seems to see it the way I do.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-f ... able-data/

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#246 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:21 pm

I don't understand the logic of removing the 'plastic bag charge' because customers are panic buying - surely it makes it easier to carry away the spoils?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#247 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:21 pm
I don't understand the logic of removing the 'plastic bag charge' because customers are panic buying - surely it makes it easier to carry away the spoils?

The "Being seen to be doing something" syndrome?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#248 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 pm

AtomKraft wrote:a huge over reaction
not sure who 'we' are, but no, 'we' are not.

The facts are - and I don't think they can be questioned - that the virus spreads through droplets from an infected person (who may well not show ANY symptoms), and these droplets can persist on contaminated surfaces. An infection for anyone who has any compromised lung system can easily prove fatal and will require intensive care (which in the UK was badly stretched before February)

Surely it makes sense to ask people to 'distance' themselves (look at the buffoons on Bondi) and to close places where people might congregate and 'mix' too closely, catch or spread the infection and then carry the infection home?

Unfortunately there are those gung-ho's amongst us who choose to ignore the risk and it may be that further action will be needed to restrict movement.

This is a serious problem - forget those air-heads who witter on about 'look at flu deaths' and 'road kill' - flu does not normally cause pneumonia (nor does a traffic accident); CoV does, and both of those are with us every day. CoV was not until recently.

It is a new disease. It is evolving and we are learning (and according to the Chinese getting it wrong by not being restrictive enough). Perhaps look again at the situation in 3-4 weeks time and judge again?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#249 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Daughter and family visited with fresh veg. They brought their coffee we had our tea. They stayed outside, we stayed indoors. When they left we took the dog for a walk. 40 minutes saw no one, walked 2 miles. Good fresh air though cold, all the slurry smell had gone.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#250 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:35 pm

When I first saw the title of this thread I was worried that it referred to some awful side effect of the virus associated with one's cojones and instinctively winced and tentatively scratched my balls! Was told to wash my hands by an outraged better half... another side-effect of this virus's intrusion into the rights of man.

On the previous two posts I must say that initially when I first heard of this virus last year, I underestimated the severity of this outbreak, now a pandemic, and must say that I now agree fully with Boac. This virus had the potential to be deadly on a scale that might have rivaled the so-called Spanish Flu in 1919 if it had been ignored (and may still do if it mutates)...

With respect to the 2018/19 flu...
It started as a mild flu season, not different from any other. When its first wave hit in the spring of 1918, the Spanish flu seemed like just another flu. But then the second wave began at the end of summer.
Spanish Flu...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#251 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Well boac..
We are going to have to differ in our views here. I think the bug will spread anyway. As you say though, we'll not really know for a while.
Yes, it's a nasty bug- but it's mostly non-fatal. I want it.
People forget that nature is in charge of things- not us.

Ruining the economy, chucking millions out of work and generally wrecking everything in an attempt to prevent nature taking its course, seems futile to me.

There are really only two possible outcomes:
1. We reduce new cases to absolutely zero, or...
2. It runs through the entire population.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#252 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:40 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:36 pm
Well boac..
We are going to have to differ in our views here.
Drink vodka or tequila and salt Atom, you will be spared the slightest sniffle and even if you do get the virus you won't be able to separate the symptoms from the hangover.

That's my excuse anyway. ;)))

PS - You don't want this virus. I caught the A type flu and I was as sick as a dog, spending 3 days semi-conscious and hallucinating with the fever and, for once, it wasn't the vodka that did that I can assure you! :)
And ever since a lab accident in 1977, nearly all human cases of influenza A have been caused by Spanish flu viral descendants.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#253 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Daughter was planning to come down for Mother's Day - I said no thanks - then her husband was sent home from work to self-isolate as a workmate has 'symptoms' - so the whole family is confined to barracks!

Sensible - we don't need their version . . .

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#254 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Cheers Gobbers
We've laid in a huge stock.of beer and rum, as we are stuck in Delhi.

My advice to you is....start drinking heavily!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#255 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:54 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:46 pm
Cheers Gobbers
We've laid in a huge stock.of beer and rum, as we are stuck in Delhi.

My advice to you is....start drinking heavily!
Don't tempt me Atom! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#256 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:40 pm

What is a Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are divided into four groups called genera: alpha, beta, gamma, and delta. These little invaders are zoonotic, meaning they can spread between animals and humans; gamma and delta coronaviruses mostly infect birds, while alpha and beta mostly reside in mammals.

Researchers first isolated human coronaviruses in the 1960s, and for a long time they were considered pretty mild. Mostly, if you got a coronavirus, you’d end up with a cold. But the most famous coronaviruses are the ones that jumped from animals to humans.

Coronaviruses are made up of one strip of RNA, and that genetic material is surrounded by a membrane studded with little spike proteins. (Under a microscope, those proteins stick up in a ring around the top of the virus, giving it its name—“corona” is Latin for “crown.”) When the virus gets into the body, those spike proteins attach to host cells, and the virus injects that RNA into the cell’s nucleus, hijacking the replication machinery there to make more virus. Infection ensues.

The severity of that infection depends on a couple of factors. One is what part of the body the virus tends to latch onto. Less serious types of coronavirus, like the ones that cause the common cold, tend to attach to cells higher up in the respiratory tract—places like your nose or throat. But their more gnarly relatives attach in the lungs and bronchial tubes, causing more serious infections. The MERS virus, for example, binds to a protein found in the lower respiratory tract and the gastrointestinal tract, so that, in addition to causing respiratory problems, the virus often causes kidney failure.

The other thing that contributes to the severity of the infection is the proteins the virus produces. Different genes mean different proteins; more virulent coronaviruses may have spike proteins that are better at latching onto human cells. Some coronaviruses produce proteins that can fend off the immune system, and when patients have to mount even larger immune responses, they get sicker.
https://www.wired.com/story/what-is-a-coronavirus/

How is COVID-19 different to the types of flu...

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... vs-the-flu
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#257 Post by om15 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm

90300866-10158099236397114-3104151093077082112-n.jpg

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#258 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 pm

Rizzla the home to some good *****! <<allegedly>>

o:-)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#259 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:19 pm

Harvey Weinstein has tested positive for coronavirus acquired from notorious Rikers Island prison where at least 38 people testing positive.

A doctor who vaccinated Frau Merkel on Friday against pneumococcus, a pneumonia-causing bacteria, had tested positive for coronavirus.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#260 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:40 pm

It looks like it will change the political scene.