Coronabollocks..

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#481 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Militarism doesn't rate very highly in a free and democratic country.

Militarism is a bit schitt, actually.

Seenenough

#482 Post by Seenenough » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:09 pm
Militarism doesn't rate very highly in a free and democratic country.

Militarism is a bit schitt, actually.
.....yes but urgent help when it is needed does, Plum particularly on a defensive basis.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#483 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:45 pm

I was talking about a free and democratic country, not the US.

Seenenough

#484 Post by Seenenough » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:50 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:45 pm
I was talking about a free and democratic country, not the US.
So which countries Plum ,do you consider to be free and democratic if USA is not?

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#485 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:07 am

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:07 pm
A sideways look at the UK’s handling of the Covid-19 crisis from a seasoned observer of ‘how not to govern’!
Like him or loathe him these are some very valid observations from within the last week of dramatic U-turns and changes of tack;
(Farage video)
I thought for some awful moments I was the only one failing to be convinced by thee smooth words of our leaders......
I eventually forced myself to sit through the pontifications of Farage as he played his favorite role of Monday morning quarterback.

It was particularly painful to listen to him quoting the (very sensible) line of the World Health Organisation, namely to do as much testing as possible. In the past he has been highly critical of the WHO. He described them as, "yet another group of 'very clever people' who want to tell us how to run our lives."

Farage has done more than anyone in the UK to cultivate the culture of denial that contributed to the scepticism over the seriousness of the epidemic in its opening days. Anyone who needs a reminder of that need only look at the opening posts of this thread.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#486 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 am

Thatcher v “Society”, they’re arguing on Radio4 over what she really said and meant at the time of the quote.
Now being alleged she didn’t mean what was said and it’s all being taken out of context.
Now where have we heard that one before? I’m sure when she was alive if the question had been fully aired she would have clarified exactly what she meant at the time.
Maybe someone who’s so obsessed with it will do the research through all the acres of print which have covered it since, I will get back to realising life is too short and sometimes brutish to waste what’s left of mine on such an exercise.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#487 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:13 am

I see the Gay one on ITV this morning well within 2 metres of the delectable Holly. She might be safe in one respect but not the bug.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#488 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:13 am
I see the Gay one on ITV this morning well within 2 metres of the delectable Holly. She might be safe in one respect but not the bug.
Alas, she is safe in neither respect. There are studies which show a small minority of male homosexuals are EXCLUSIVELY Male partner-practising and therefore the majority swing both ways. Which must be a shock to all those female cabin crew who’ve happily climbed into bed with one or more of the many gays who operate sectors and nightstops with them, safe and secure in the knowledge that “it won’t happen to me, he’s obviously gay, great fun and might give me some tips on how to please my man when I return home”.

Who will then believe any allegations made by the naive young female c c if they decide to raise the issue of the awful events of that night with the company and/or the law? CAVEAT DORMER, to bastardise a well-known phrase!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#489 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:14 am

barkingmad wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 am
Thatcher v “Society”, they’re arguing on Radio4 over what she really said and meant at the time of the quote.
Mad old cow (daggers or Daggenham - 3 stops past barking ) who became a senile old bat...

Beyond Barking

From one disease to another... mad cow disease to Covid-19...

No insult intended barkingmad... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#490 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:32 am

Appeals are being made to the President of South Africa to amend the list of essential goods to include alcoholic drinks.
Cynicism improves with age

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#491 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:15 am

Jetex Jim says- "I eventually forced myself to sit through the pontifications of Farage as he played his favorite role of Monday morning quarterback.

It was particularly painful to listen to him quoting the (very sensible) line of the World Health Organisation, namely to do as much testing as possible. In the past he has been highly critical of the WHO. He described them as, "yet another group of 'very clever people' who want to tell us how to run our lives."

Farage has done more than anyone in the UK to cultivate the culture of denial that contributed to the scepticism over the seriousness of the epidemic in its opening days. Anyone who needs a reminder of that need only look at the opening posts of this thread."

I won't apologise for twisting your arm and forcing you to undergo such a traumatic experience. You say it was painful to hear what was obviously the recanting of (some of) his views on the WHO. I understood, at least in the Judeo-Christian preaching, that one should celebrate one who repents and forgive them and heap praise on them for seeing the light?

If there was scepticism over the seriousness of the epidemic in its opening days I would posit that such an attitude was fostered as much by the uncoordinated/reactive/disconnected nature of the measures introduced by the various governments including that of the UK.

I don't know very much about the machinations and successes versus the failures of the WHO because I have not had much cause to monitor what they say and do. However, if they were so wonderful, why haven't I heard of their condemnation of the part played by the Roman Catholic Church and it's Pope in the horrific death rates in Africa and other third-world countries as a result of the prohibition of the use of condoms in those unfortunate countries? The excessive birth rates, overpopulation and the spread of HIV can all be attributable to this medieval attitude, yet the proposal to charge and try the Pope in the Hague, for what was described at the time as genocide, didn't seem to trigger a suitable reaction from WHO. Please provide evidence that I'm wrong in that conclusion.

Would your dislike of the pontificating Farage have anything to do with your mindset on Brexit? Maybe best to move across to that thread and make your case against him there? Meantime we will continue to be presented with utterances from the Downing Street mob which are sometimes excruciating and embarrassing to watch regarding our recommended actions in the face of this plague. Such failures as the lack of and slow reaction to local manufacturers' approaches to UK Govt regarding the rapid production of PPE for the NHS workers deserves ringing criticism and questioning from any of the MSM and social media fora.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#492 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:13 pm

I won't apologise for twisting your arm and forcing you to undergo such a traumatic experience. You say it was painful to hear what was obviously the recanting of (some of) his views on the WHO. I understood, at least in the Judeo-Christian preaching, that one should celebrate one who repents and forgive them and heap praise on them for seeing the light?

If there was scepticism over the seriousness of the epidemic in its opening days I would posit that such an attitude was fostered as much by the uncoordinated/reactive/disconnected nature of the measures introduced by the various governments including that of the UK.

I don't know very much about the machinations and successes versus the failures of the WHO because I have not had much cause to monitor what they say and do. However, if they were so wonderful, why haven't I heard of their condemnation of the part played by the Roman Catholic Church and it's Pope in the horrific death rates in Africa and other third-world countries as a result of the prohibition of the use of condoms in those unfortunate countries? The excessive birth rates, overpopulation and the spread of HIV can all be attributable to this medieval attitude, yet the proposal to charge and try the Pope in the Hague, for what was described at the time as genocide, didn't seem to trigger a suitable reaction from WHO. Please provide evidence that I'm wrong in that conclusion.

Would your dislike of the pontificating Farage have anything to do with your mindset on Brexit? Maybe best to move across to that thread and make your case against him there? Meantime we will continue to be presented with utterances from the Downing Street mob which are sometimes excruciating and embarrassing to watch regarding our recommended actions in the face of this plague. Such failures as the lack of and slow reaction to local manufacturers' approaches to UK Govt regarding the rapid production of PPE for the NHS workers deserves ringing criticism and questioning from any of the MSM and social media fora.
I suppose I might have felt a little better about Farage's repentance had a he acknowledged who's words he was using, he doesn't reference the WHO at all in this presentation.

Why haven't the WHO taken on the Pope you ask? The WHO website present a significantly more positive view of all forms of contraception than the Vatican does.

Farage, of course, having made his name and fortune pontificating about Brexit is now looking for a new Strawman to attack. In this case the efforts of government to tackle the epidemic. While I'm not saying Boris is doing an especially great job he's in a very different position to a man who's only role is to stand on the side lines and sling mud.

I think we can be fairly certain that public health is not Nigel's concern. His priority is getting another gig on BBC's Question Time.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#493 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:21 pm

" he doesn't reference the WHO at all in this presentation. "

Try 9' 00" into the video I posted?

"His priority is getting another gig on BBC's Question Time."

He has more sense than to waste his time going on that show. Once a Remainer on it is wound up and set going all the rest might as well adjourn to the pub!

Seek a dark room and lie down to recover......

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#494 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:04 pm

That's a little weak Barking. It's well known that Nigel has appeared on QT a record number of times, 32 I think. You can Google.

But I'm sorry I missed your man give a credit to the WHO. Perhaps that was when I was throwing up.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#495 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:15 pm

I hope the cough isn't too bad

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#496 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:41 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:15 pm
My goodness aren't you a pleasant fellow.

Actually old boy I'm pretty sure that I picked up COVID-19 in a Munich brothel in early February. So really, you don't have to worry.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#497 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:52 pm

"It's well known that Nigel has appeared on QT a record number of times, 32 I think."

What's more important is the airtime he was granted by the blatantly pro-Remain Brexit Ban Corporation! Once people like Kier Starmer, Ken Clarke and all the other Remoaners were let loose, Nigel's actual speechtime was severely limited as was that of other pro-Brexit panel members.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#498 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:53 pm

Jetex Jim wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:41 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:15 pm
My goodness aren't you a pleasant fellow.

Actually old boy I'm pretty sure that I picked up COVID-19 in a Munich brothel in early February. So really, you don't have to worry.
I think we had it in December but not in such salubrious surrounds.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#499 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:07 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:52 pm
"It's well known that Nigel has appeared on QT a record number of times, 32 I think."

What's more important is the airtime he was granted by the blatantly pro-Remain Brexit Ban Corporation! Once people like Kier Starmer, Ken Clarke and all the other Remoaners were let loose, Nigel's actual speechtime was severely limited as was that of other pro-Brexit panel members.
I think you should take your comments re.Brexit to the appropriate thread.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#500 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:18 pm

"I think you should take your comments re.Brexit to the appropriate thread." I will be delighted so to do. As I hope you will too, having raised in this thread the topic of Nigel, his BBC appearance ambitions and his "having made his name and fortune pontificating about Brexit". Mote in the eye 'n all that, eh?