TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#541 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:36 am

Seenenough wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:23 am
You been at the turps a bit tonight Gob-

" and you run rogue so and I will shoot you too... 6SAI"-there is a really intelligent and mature comment.Mind you it is the kind of thing that Bo might find entertaining .
I am I admit, but in those days we were high on hubris and amphetamines and I would have shot you...

Now I would rather have lunch, buy you a beer and try and avoid all the moral conundrum's of those sad days (crazy daze)...

Leave Boac out of this. Not only is he a decent man but he flew Lightnings... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#542 Post by Seenenough » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:45 am

Leave Boac out of this. Not only is he a decent man but he flew Lightnings... which makes him what?.....a pilot.Even a Lightning has a manual as do all aircraft.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#543 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:51 am

Seenenough wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:45 am
Leave Boac out of this. Not only is he a decent man but he flew Lightnings... which makes him what?.....a pilot.Even a Lightning has a manual as do all aircraft.
With grumpy men like you we could fight 20' frigates... :)

seenenough, you are a typical South African and I am glad of that... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#544 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:57 am

Time for a little music. Calm down, calm down.

Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#545 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:13 am

I'm not fatalistic by nature, but the Coronabollocks episode is giving us a few helpful reminders.

1. We don't own this place and we don't control it. We are not in charge.
The planet was here before us, and it will still be here when we've gone.

2. Amongst the things we do not control are:
(a.) The weather and the climate. Nature is running the show, not us.
(b.) Natural phenomena, volcanoes, earthquakes, floods, droughts and so on. There's sweet fa we can do about any of this stuff.
(c.) Plagues and pestilences.

3. Certain things ARE under our control, or at least our influence.
These things include famine, warmongering and some curable and preventable diseases.

We should concentrate our limited resources on the things we can actually influence. Not squander same on ill-thought out idiocy like climate change and so on.

Most of us have been lucky enough to have lived in plague-free times, but from time to time this sort of thing is going to happen, and we should be ready for it. It's part of living with nature.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#546 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:45 am

Need help from someone knowledgable in the these things. In Oz so far this year we've had droughts, fires, floods and plague. So what comes next?

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#547 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:50 am

Who knows Alison? More of the same?

I would put fires firmly in the "Things we can influence" list.

If you stopped **** around with idiotic stuff, perhaps you'd be better positioned to prevent/ control fire?

Just a thought....

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#548 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:42 am

Just a thought....
Yes, and a pretty inane one.

Here's an item from DW showing recent positive changes to the environment.

Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:13 am

Jetex.
I've never really understood the strange left leaning point of view that you clearly suffer from.
I have learned though, that you unfortunates can never be convinced of your poor judgement, so I'll not bother trying.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#550 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:13 am
Jetex.
I've never really understood the strange left leaning point of view that you clearly suffer from.
I have learned though, that you unfortunates can never be convinced of your poor judgement, so I'll not bother trying.
I see that you are another one of the types on here who must always respond even when you have nothing to say.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#551 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 am

Half a decade ago this virus scenario was war-gamed and a withheld report was compiled which showed clearly what should have been done by way of preparation.
In the UK it was kept quiet in case it would frighten the populace (and more importantly cost money) and in the US the Chump disbanded the team responsible for combatting such an event.
The phrase “The Tombstone Imperative” from the aviation flight safety annals springs to mind, but when the risk is re-assessed against the ongoing costs I suspect the world’s governments will go back to business as usual.......
As I type the UK e-meeja are reporting increased car usage as an indicator that the peasants have tired of lockdown, so our massively reduced Plod force will have a very difficult time in the near future attempting to maintain law & order.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#552 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 am

Jetex
You mean, like you just did?
Endex.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#553 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:27 am

And another bright spot. When these lock downs are over there will be a huge amount of overdue sex to catch up on.
Should that be illicit sex?

I don't imagine the lock down has stopped the singlies breaching the 2 m rule.

Cue Ricardian posting a picture of two in full hazmat so engaged

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#554 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:35 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 am
Jetex
You mean, like you just did?
Endex.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#555 Post by John Hill » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:45 am
Need help from someone knowledgable in the these things. In Oz so far this year we've had droughts, fires, floods and plague. So what comes next?

Alison
In Biblical terms I that that would be Pestilence(?) Plague of flies? You have that. Mouse plague? Had that too. Frogs, have them. So I dont really know what is in store you.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by BenThere » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 am

Alison, a very good question. All of these challenges to the status quo confront us with decisions, political, fiscal, and in harmony with our cultures. I try to think all these policy considerations confronting all of us and sometimes my head explodes with either anguish or exoneration, then I wake up in a new day and tackle a brand new assessment based on the latest information.

We are in a very fluid and dynamic state due to coronavirus. It is killing thousands of us daily. It has hit me close to home with multiple friends and family testing positive.

I, personally, haven't experienced much inconvenience. I have a well=stocked larder, and though I can't easily come and go to Mexico these days as I have become accustomed to do, I'm secure and sanguine about holding out in my Michigan home for a year or so. But there, I also have a 12 gage shotgun, a .22 rifle, and my trusty .45 Kimber 1911. You never know.

In Mexico there is no legal right to hold home defense firearms. It seems only the drug cartels and their armies of bastards have the right to carry. All that considered, I think my little corner of the Mayan Riviera is possibly the safest and most serene place in the world to be these days. There have been no positive corona cases locally, the beaches are blessedly empty as the tourists have fled, and happy hours are plentiful for both food and cocktails.

For me, all that is good, though I can't get back there now. Mexico is closed off for me, an American with a home in Mexico. I just rented our condo to a Brit who can't get back to the UK and was desperate for accommodation in a nice environment. I own the place free and clear. It seems accommodations like I offer are in great demand and command a premium. I'm smiling at getting $250/night for a $185/night property. My current tenants are Brits who can't get home. As I can't can't get to Mexico either I'll just have to suffer through here in Michigan, where the weather is getting better day by day, with trees budding and flowers blooming. Life is good.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#557 Post by John Hill » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:40 am

Smug.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:41 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:45 am

Alison
Are there areas of Oz in which the locusts of African type could establish a hold and then go on to wreck your already damaged environment suffering form drought and fire? Are they resident already?
I presume somewhere in the world there may be research into combatting this aeons-old danger to human existence, but if the event only happens in the badly managed African continent, can we be confident that appropriate resources are being supplied to find a remedy in the 21st Century?
If locust elimination funds are being shovelled into Africa from world foreign aid budgets, is the dosh actually being used fully in research or is it being syphoned off by their corrupt leaders and squirrelled away in their overseas bank accounts and London prestige properties?
Doubtless our Effrikan correspondents will comment on that aspect, meanwhile I earnestly hope that the ETOPS ability of the locust species has not developed as far as trans-oceanic sectors?

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#559 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:44 am

BenThere wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 am

I, personally, haven't experienced much inconvenience. I have a well=stocked larder, and though I can't easily come and go to Mexico these days as I have become accustomed to do, I'm secure and sanguine about holding out in my Michigan home for a year or so. But there, I also have a 12 gage shotgun, a .22 rifle, and my trusty .45 Kimber 1911. You never know.
A whiff of apocalypse, a survivalist's wet dream.

Capetonian

#560 Post by Capetonian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:50 am

JH : Perhaps with good planning and judgement Ben has earned a certain right to be 'smug'.

Jetex Jim is a troll, the proverbial empty vessel making the most sound. I believe he was active on Pprune as a troll, maybe still is for all I know or care.