Is WHO fit for purpose?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
SOPS
Capt
Capt
Is WHO fit for purpose?

#1 Post by SOPS » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:41 pm

It’s becoming more obvious that it is an arm of the Chinese Government The whole place should be closed down.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Is WHO fit for purpose?

#2 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:09 pm

Any reference to back up your assertion?

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes SOPS, been likely reading the same as you.....the Ethiopian chap that heads the WHO that was parroting the Chinese line recently, is an ETHIOPIAN, and is likey a beneficiary of the 'Belt & road route'...and IS NOT a docteor...of anything
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:40 pm

"reading the same " - a secret publication?

Ah no - found it - presumably you are convinced by the right-wing rag Fox news? All apparently based on a self-proclaimed 'expert' on 'foreign affairs'. The White House has one of those too.

Doesn't mean it is not correct, but................. https://www.foxnews.com/world/who-chief ... oronavirus

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by tango15 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:00 pm

I don't know about the WHO specifically, but I spent a few days in close proximity to the head offices of the UN in Geneva a few years ago. What struck me was the constant comings and goings of large numbers of gaily attired people around that building, which seemed quite disproportionate. I mentioned it to someone in the British Consulate, who raised their eyes to heaven and said, "It's the same in New York."
From my admittedly random observations, it would seem that those from the Dark Continent are now very numerous in that organisation. I will say no more.

Seenenough

#6 Post by Seenenough » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 pm

Tedros Adhanom ,the Head of the WHO ,made the statement on 03 Feb that it was not necessary to shut down international travel.

How wrong was he.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by SOPS » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:24 am

He criticised Australia when they banned travel from China. Said there was no need to panic.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by probes » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:13 am

Well, but considering people even in the countries that pile up coffins find it impossible to follow the recommendations or regulations - would it have mattered much?

Seenenough

#9 Post by Seenenough » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:29 pm

probes wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:13 am
Well, but considering people even in the countries that pile up coffins find it impossible to follow the recommendations or regulations - would it have mattered much?
I think in the future and once the US gets through this that the US will seek to adjust how the WHO operates and also review especially it's voluntary contributions to the organization.

A few more facts.

The USA's voluntary contributions to the WHO for the 2018 year were about $281 million compared to China's whopping $6.3 million and the USA's Assesed contribution for 2020 and 2021 is about $232 million as opposed to China's $114 Million.

The Gates and Bloomberg Foundations further donated about another $100 million to the WHO in 2018.

Makes one wonder why the WHO pander so much to China.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:37 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:29 pm
probes wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:13 am
I think in the future and once the US gets through this that the US will seek to adjust how the WHO operates and also review especially it's voluntary contributions to the organization.

A few more facts.

The USA's voluntary contributions to the WHO for the 2018 year were about $281 million compared to China's whopping $6.3 million and the USA's Assesed contribution for 2020 and 2021 is about $232 million as opposed to China's $114 Million.

The Gates and Bloomberg Foundations further donated about another $100 million to the WHO in 2018.

Makes one wonder why the WHO pander so much to China.
What world wide scientifically based health monitoring body do you propose the USA support then seenenough?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#11 Post by Seenenough » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:11 pm

I don't think that was my point Gob.I think that the pandemic will make the USA reconsider their position both to the UN and the WHO which is a part of the UN.The US has for years been paying more than its fair share to UN also and to many other organizations like NATO.

It is plainly obvious that the WHO were nowhere near able to warn its members as to how contagious the Covid virus is. Indeed ,the WHO was telling leaders it was not necessary to shut down international travel.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:11 pm
I don't think that was my point Gob.I think that the pandemic will make the USA reconsider their position both to the UN and the WHO which is a part of the UN.The US has for years been paying more than its fair share to UN also and to many other organizations like NATO.

It is plainly obvious that the WHO were nowhere near able to warn its members as to how contagious the Covid virus is. Indeed ,the WHO was telling leaders it was not necessary to shut down international travel.
Well given that the USA government, under Trump, was happy to appear to be advised by the WHO, when it suited his agenda, and then chose to ignore WHO advice and risk thousands of American lives, when the advice was contrary to his personal agenda, it really matters little how the current US government thinks about the WHO which was and still is the only organisation that can act on an international scale! If the US wants to turn itself into an ignorant isolationist ghetto guided by one man's selfish expediency then that is a shame but the rest of the world will continue to take an internationalist course in the face of an international contagion.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#13 Post by Seenenough » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 pm

Gob-The US shut down travel from China on the 2nd February and the WHO then made the statement on the 3rd of February that it was not necessary to do so.

You should be able to recall that many ,lead by the media, over here held that Trump was a racist because of the ban.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 pm
Gob-The US shut down travel from China on the 2nd February and the WHO then made the statement on the 3rd of February that it was not necessary to do so.

You should be able to recall that many ,lead by the media, over here held that Trump was a racist because of the ban.
I don't know if Trump is a racist or not. I do know he was initially trying to prosecute his trade war against China and that there was strong reason to suspect that he was keen to use the viral outbreak as the basis for that. Given that Trump chose to delay all other serious attempts to counteract the contagion it is, sadly, no wonder that the USA is the crucible of this infection at the moment.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#15 Post by Seenenough » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:09 pm

From the outset of Trump's Presidency he has been pointing out that the US in a strategically weak position at it is too dependent on Chinese goods supply.

The pandemic has brought many over here to realize ,although they do not like admitting it ,that he has been correct all along especially in the case of Medical Equipment and Medicine.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:09 pm
From the outset of Trump's Presidency he has been pointing out that the US in a strategically weak position at it is too dependent on Chinese goods supply.

The pandemic has brought many over here to realize ,although they do not like admitting it ,that he has been correct all along especially in the case of Medical Equipment and Medicine.
Blaming the Chinese is his get out clause for everything. I am no fan of the Chinese but Trump's narrative is bollocks. If he had listened to the CDC earlier on and not financially and intellectually neutered the once world renowned organisation, the US may have had a chance. Now more people are going to die due to his decisions and lack of care.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#17 Post by Seenenough » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:16 pm

He was listening to the CDC Gob.He shut flights from China before the WHO recomended he did.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by John Hill » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:34 pm

The US appears chronically averse to every international organisation including some they founded themselves.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by llondel » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:22 am

Seenenough wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:09 pm
That's one of the few things where I tend to agree with him, not least because invariably when you develop a product in Europe or the US at some expense and then have it made in China, invariably a cheap Chinese copy appears on the market some time later, and sometimes before yours if you're a bit slow at the final stages of production. This includes one competitor to a former employer's product where it had some of the special features of that product. One was bought and stripped down and the give-away was the part number etched into the copper on the PCB on the special feature. They'd filed off all the other stuff but hadn't noticed that one.

I disagree with his approach though. I don't necessarily have a better one but I think his will have unintended consequences.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by llondel » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:22 am

John Hill wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:34 pm
The US appears chronically averse to every international organisation including some they founded themselves.
The US is averse to any organisation that currently disagrees with the US view on things.