Made in China.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Made in China.

#1 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:07 am

It's no secret that I can't stand the slitty eyed twats.

Putting that aside for a moment though, for purely practical reasons, I think we should stop encouraging them by buying the stuff they make.

It wont be easy. We've got used to the low prices of stuff made in China, but there's never a free lunch.

When things are cheaper than they ought to be, there must be a risk premium somewhere, and recent events have revealed the true cost of dealing with the manky twats.

I will be doing everything I can to avoid buying stuff made in China- and yes, I know that it's sometimes hard to identify the Chinky content of a product, but I shall do my best.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Made in China.

#2 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:09 am

Hope you don't have an IPhone or use the internet......

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:12 am

I didn't say it will be easy Bo, but if I see 'Made in China', it's going back on the shelf!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:15 am

Hope you've got everything you need then ?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:22 am

I don't understand why anyone would object to the basis premise that I've advanced: if you can avoid Chinese stuff, do so.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:24 am

I haven 't had a Chinese takeaway since the news of the virus broke.

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am

I agree entirely with AK. I know it's not possible to avoid Chinese products, pretty much everything you buy that has any sort of electronics has components made in China, but if I pick up something and the label says 'Made in China', and yes I do always check, it goes back on the shelf. I've been practising this for years.

I've never had the slightest interest, despite plenty of opportunities of one sort and another, to go to China, and I never will. Apart from the arrogance and rudeness of the slit eyed little twats, the descriptions of the crowds and filth and pollution in the cities have put me off. I know there are some fascinating and beautiful places but nothing will induce me to go there.

Ironically the Lenovo laptop I'm using right now is 'Made in China' but when I went into MediaMarkt (NL), which is where I buy most of our high ticket electronics, nearly all the computers were made in China and the Lenovo was the one that had the build quality and other features I wanted. The young man who helped me with the choice was charming, helpful, and knowledgeable, listened to me, did not try to upsell, and I walked out, once again, happy with MediaMarkt service. Another thing I like about it is that (very Dutch) the products are sorted by price, so you can walk away from the cheap crap and aim for your price bracket.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 am

No, I'm happy with the principle but it is going to be extremely hard to practice. I and the boss always look at labels showing production source and make practical decisions based on them. Good luck in this campaign.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:42 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-lockdown

They were warned by the officials against stockpiling toilet paper or flour. But that’s not all New Zealanders have been hoarding, according to the nation’s largest retailer of sex toys, which said sales of its products tripled after Jacinda Ardern announced a month-long lockdown of the country.
It's well known that over 90% of sex toys come from China. I hope everyone has all they need.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:47 am

Mine is fine but I do not see her as much as I want due to the lockdown.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:57 am

Will future exports from China arrive on our shores with the warning on the box, re batteries, edited to read “Virii not included”?

The reaction of the NZ population implies they’re going to take the lockdown seriously and are aware that board games will become very boring very soon and that alternative diversions, long since neglected, will require enhancement!

Watch out for the worldwide birthrate at the year’s turn into 2021, though any increase assumes that the enhancement of the activities by various devices leads to what comes naturally? :-ss

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 am

Well have you actually tried to buy anything probably made in China?

Amazon has lots of things you might want but look at the delivery times - mid to late May. Gone are the 2-3 days delivered by Chinapost at a total cost of what delivery costs in UK.

I needed some door hooks. Lots of choice but no quick delivery. Instead I placed an order with a UK firm I have used before and comes from Birkenhead. Don't know if they make them though

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by John Hill » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:31 am

Let me guess, you'll on this anti-China kick because Trump is scapegoating them regarding the abysmal handling of this virus crisis?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Capetonian

#14 Post by Capetonian » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:45 am

Nope, I've been anti-China for years, long before I'd even heard of Trump. Unlike many, I can form my own opinions and not follow the herd.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:53 am

Hey John.
Trump's got nothing to do with it.

I don't like the little fukcers, I don't like bloody communists and I don't like the diseases that keep coming out of China.

Apart from that, I've nothing against them.

Folk can do what they want, but the Chinks are screwed if we stop buying their stuff, so I intend to reduce my own consumption of their products.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by 1DC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:23 pm

I think that after this virus has run its course and countries start to rebuild, it will be very clear that we have been too reliant upon China and that for the future we will have to be more reliant upon ourselves. Whether we do anything about it remains to be seen, i hope that we do.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:52 pm

A view from afar.

During my life since I left the UK, it has appeared to me that almost all of UK's manufacturing capability has been sold off.

In almost every case, sold to a foreign organisation.

Why?

Why can foreign owners make more profit from a company than British owners can?
Why did the British car making industry collapse, but Japanese owned companies can build cars in the UK at a profit?
Why was ICI broken up and sold?
Why was Cadbury's sold?

The list is endless.

Answers on the back of a 2d stamp.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:43 pm

Ian, the answer is of course a fast buck. The profit is made at the till. China is cheap as they either undercut the shop price selling direct or sell to the shop who makes a big profit.

An East Midlands fabric shop was able to reopen.

But chasing profit is not new. 50 years ago a Greek friend explained he got 5 piastre (hapenny) for a lemon off his tree in Kyrennia. It was valued at a penny in Famagusta. But the time it hit a UK supermarket it was a shilling. 24 fold price increase with the shop probably creaming off half of it.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by BenThere » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:04 pm

I've long tried to buy American when I can. With electronics, cell phones, laptops and such, that has become nearly impossible. But it's still possible in apparel.

I have a few American brands I turn to for quality, durability, appearance and value:

Brooks Brothers The company has been in business over 200 years, I think, a very long time for an American enterprise. They invented the button-down shirt around hundred years ago. Today they still make the best shirts you can buy off the rack. You have to check the label to determine if the shirt was made in America, but many of them are, especially at the higher end. Their suits and sport coats are also American made. The shirts have the crispest patterns, nicest collars, and look good.

When I went off to college in 1969 my mother determined that i needed a Brooks Brothers blue blazer, a few white and blue oxford cotton shirts, and a few more Brooks Brothers neckties. That would ensure I could dress appropriately for the collegiate circles she wanted me to embrace. It worked, and I've been a Brooks Brothers fan ever since. You pay a premium for the quality, but it's made in America, sartorially correct, and will last. That's money well spent. I wore that blue blazer for 15 years, bought another and wore it for 15 years, and recently bought my third. You can wear a blue blazer with jeans or slacks and look right. Probably the biggest plus is that the style never changes.

Allen Edmonds Allen Edmonds makes most, not all, of its quality shoes in Wisconsin. It still employs cobbler/craftsmen that hand make its fine footwear. It imports about half of its product these days, so I check to make sure before I buy. I've found through experience that the American made Allen Edmonds shoe is better. They also make belts. I have an Allen Edmonds belt I've worn for 10 years and can't seem to wear it out.

Lucchese Boots I like Western/Cowboy boots. They're comfortable, can be dressy, and last forever. I think the foremost bookmaker is Lucchese, and their top line, Lucchese Classics are hand made in El Paso, Texas as they have been since 1883. I wore a single pair of black Classic ropers for 20 years every day I worked my airline job. They were my gift to myself when I first made Captain in 1996. Back then they cost $200, which was steep for the time. Lucchese still makes exactly the same boot but now it's $800. And I'm still wearing the same, indestructible boots. Do the math and the cost comes out pretty close to the cost of an inferior Chinese boot that won't last and doesn't look refined at all.

Carhartt Carhartt is a Detroit company that makes rugged, durable, high quality work and casual clothes, along with extreme weather and professional gear. The quality of their American made clothing is outstanding, but they do sell some Asian crap that isn't up to par. If you do shop Carhartt, their 'Force' line is the best. If you live in a cold climate you can find a Carhartt garment that will keep you warm in the most hostile environment. Check out Dungarees.com for good deals.

These are just a few examples but the point is you get what you pay for, and it's a plus plus if you can spend your money closer to home. Think about that when you shell out your money, wherever you are.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:57 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:43 pm
Ian, the answer is of course a fast buck.
I appreciate that the fast buck is why.
My question is why the fast buck, rather than 100 slow bucks that Johnny Foreigner seems to be quite happy with?
Cynicism improves with age