Made in China.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Made in China.

#281 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 19, 2020 11:54 pm

The CCP is an abomination but we aided and abetted this beast.

I don't believe this virus escaped from some fecking Wuhan laboratory but resulted in our, through the Chinese vector, ignorance about our fauna (animal husbandry) and flora and we are all culpable.

As for the whining about viral weapons, ask the bastards that do just this kind of thing at Fort Detrick and the amoral ***** at Porton Down and elsewhere in the world (Wuhan included) about this crap. I ***** on your defence.

To this day I regret not having got up from my salmon mousse and murdered Wouter Basson with my bare hands in a restaurant in Cape Town after he escaped to the UK and then returned, having been a primary researcher and directly implicated in the murder of multiple in people in South West Africa. No doubt, his amoral findings were of great interest to the bastards here in the UK too, hence his protection, in the UK, and his safety only, partially, guaranteed back in ZA.

Wake up people!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#282 Post by barkingmad » Thu May 21, 2020 9:04 am

Some food for thought, a reasonable discussion on China and what they’ve been up to whilst we’ve all been enjoying cheap this, that and the other.
Sound quality variable but try to hang in there with it. Of particular interest is the way in which our “woke” universities are ignoring the excesses of their distant but ever present benefactors;

Watch out for a Belt & Road coming to a place near you. Despite the highly plugged short-term benefits it might not be such a good idea as our friends in Africa and other countries will soon realise. [-X

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#283 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Following on from Ben's Lincoln post, we had a Buick Park Avenue hire car. This was 20 years ago and had, for us novel features such as automatic headlights and split air con. Would have bought one like a shot. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they are now made in China.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#284 Post by John Hill » Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm
Following on from Ben's Lincoln post, we had a Buick Park Avenue hire car. This was 20 years ago and had, for us novel features such as automatic headlights and split air con. Would have bought one like a shot. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they are now made in China.
Is that why they look like an Australian Holden?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#285 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Can't say, never seen a Holden. My uncle drove a 1950s Hillman.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#286 Post by John Hill » Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 pm

You cant miss them, they look just like a Buick Park Avenue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Caprice

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#287 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 pm

John Hill wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 pm
Is that why they look like an Australian Holden?
Buick sedan built by Shanghai GM for the Chinese market based on the Holden Caprice from the WM/WN range.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#288 Post by BenThere » Sat May 23, 2020 4:44 am

Back in the day when I was growing up in Detroit, then the epicenter of the world of automobile manufacturing in the 1950-1960 era, all the brands were distinct. Buick, Olds, Ford, Lincoln, Chrysler, Dodge had their own unique models made in factories exclusive to their brands, even though they were part of their corporate parents. In the 1960s it started to change so that a Chevy became the same as a Cadillac with the difference being mostly chrome and leather. But the Cadillac costs twice as much.

I'm sure that evolution was calculated to be more productive and efficient, but I miss the loss of choice and differentiation. I also miss Packard, Studebaker, even DeLorean and the like that I grew up with.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#289 Post by G-CPTN » Sat May 23, 2020 6:24 am

I worked for GM, and it is interesting to hear of the people who at various times were employed by the big three at various times.
John DeLorean started at Chrysler before moving to Packard, then Pontiac and then Chevrolet before rising to the position of vice president of car and truck production for the entire General Motors line.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#290 Post by AtomKraft » Sat May 23, 2020 8:37 am

Clearly attitudes in the UK are firming up, with regards to China.

It's my view that buying stuff from them is tacit approval of the slitty-eyed twats, and should stop immediately.

Project Defend.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#291 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 23, 2020 8:45 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:37 am

It's my view that buying stuff from them is tacit approval of the slitty-eyed twats, and should stop immediately.
=))

So not the day to suggest that you watch a rerun of Peter Sellers in the abysmal 'The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu'...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#292 Post by AtomKraft » Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 am

Haha Gob. No, not really.

But here's another reason we should not deal with these twats.

Here's one guys view of what's about to happen in Hong Kong.
By trading with China, we encourage them. Time to isolate the Commie Scumbags!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#293 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 am

AK, I agree but it is often difficult to know especially if bought on line. On Amazon there are clues like long delivery times, funny names or a Hounslow depot. Other stuff from UK retailers is impossible to know. Electronics especially can be from a British company but the product is made and packaged in China.

We bought a set of very modern Danish table and chairs for the kitchen from an expensive shop in Macclesfield, 6 week delivery, but that is normal for furniture especially if from Europe. When it arrived, the box proudly said Designed in Denmark, Made in China.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#294 Post by John Hill » Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am

Can we talk this up to be a bona fide Cold War?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#295 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 23, 2020 9:38 am

John, I think that point has already passed. The US/USSR war was one based on mutual paranoia with, admittedly, some economic benefits for the USA.

It might be the case that high defense spending in the USA had economic advantages at home that led to a higher wage economy. This in turn led to outsourcing low value goods to foreign producers.

The economic benefit to China and their brazen technical espionage has enabled them to develop into a significant regional power together with economic and infrastructure exploitation in Africa and UK at least.

America is confronting China's regional expansion and 'protecting' its interests. We already have your bona fide war.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#296 Post by AtomKraft » Sat May 23, 2020 10:02 am

In all seriousness, and I'm sure John Hill knows it, wars have started for much less than this.

Capetonian

#297 Post by Capetonian » Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=456&p=235600#p235600

To avoid double posting, here's an article I just posted under 'Animal Killers' from this morning's Sunday Times.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#298 Post by Boac » Mon May 25, 2020 12:21 pm

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#299 Post by John Hill » Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 pm

There is no reason why I should not be able to buy 'stuff' from China and neither is there any reason why the folks living across the street cannot continue making sheep's milk cheeses for export to China.

A man in our town has a yard full of big green tractors that he imports and sells to local farmers and I am quite OK with that.

My friend has a new van that he is very pleased with and does not hesitate to tell us it was made in China. My ute was made in Australia, my wife's car came from Japan while my bicycle claims to be from Denmark but the box said Taiwan.

In my parents' time most everything imported came from Great Britain otherwise they paid 60% tariff. I do not want to see those days again.

In my view a world tied together in free trade and unrestricted travel is much preferable than one where mutual threats of destruction sets the tone in international relations.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#300 Post by AtomKraft » Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 am

John.
Sure. We'd all like it to be as you describe. Fair and open trade, everyone behaving decently, no tariffs etc.

Countries like China want all the benefits of such a setup, but behind the scenes they do what they like.

The Corona crisis is the result of their two faced behaviour.