Lockup/ lockdown. How to end it?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Capetonian

Re: Lockup/ lockdown. How to end it?

#41 Post by Capetonian » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:48 pm

You lefty types are always in favour of more government, and more government intervention- I've never figured out why that is.
It's because they are incapable of independent or original thought, they just follow and recite the mantras of their leaders, with nothing of their own to add to any discussion except denigration of those who disagree with them.

I am not going to get involved in a war of words with JJ, who will now set out to pour scorn and derision on my above statement. I shall ignore any comment he makes, to which he will probably respond (as before) that I haven't got the balls or the intellect to come up with an answer to his comments.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:16 pm

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#43 Post by Jetex Jim » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:45 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:24 pm
We are where we are now. No point arguing about how we got here.
I think folk have been sufficiently terrorised now, they can rely on their fear to keep them safe.
Strong advice to the retired to stay in, let everyone else get back to normal.

Before it's too.late.

(Jetex. I know your view. You rely on the government to keep you safe- we don't all feel that way).
In matters of public health and safety governments are invariably involved. Usually through such regulatory bodies as the FAA and CAA.

Perhaps you feel certifying the B737 safe for the carriage of passengers should be left entirely up to Boeing? I suppose the free market position is, "so what if a few of them crash, that will drive the customers away soon enough."

I'll leave it to you and Peter Hitchins to put that argument to the test.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#44 Post by prospector » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:10 pm

" Usually through such regulatory bodies as the FAA and CAA." The FAA, it was their job to oversee Boeing. If they let Boeing do their own thing then who is to blame for shortcuts???

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by BenThere » Fri May 01, 2020 12:41 am

The US public trusts and relies on its flagship companies, like Boeing, Microsoft, and lately Amazon and others, to operate with total integrity, transparent accounting, and leadership in the boardroom at the executive level. When the trust is violated there will be consequences. Usually the stock market exacts the revenge for the transgressions of big companies.

The best and most honest companies are rated A or better by Standard and Poor's, and for good reason. The roster of those companies has shortened in recent years but continues to include the likes of Johnson&Johnson, ExxonMobil, and a few others. That's where I've moved my equity and bond money, being retired now with fixed pensions and don't wish to watch my small fortune wither away. Buying great companies and hanging on to them has proven to be a winning strategy for me for decades. Speculative bets have been less fortunate.

One piece of advice, as if anyone is interested, is to maintain 10% of your liquid net worth in physical gold. I've been doing that for 20 years or so. The beauty of it is that gold generally goes down when the stock market soars, so to keep up your 10% you buy when it's at a lower price. When the stock market depresses then it is usually gold's turn to soar. Right now, my gold holdings are at about 12% of liquid net worth due to recent appreciation. I never sell the gold I have, but monitor its worth. If I have gains in gold I let them ride, adding only when stock market gains drop my gold percentage below 10% of liquid net worth. It has proven to me to be a beautiful strategy, and I think following as you accumulate some wealth you can store away is a very wise course to follow.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#46 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri May 01, 2020 4:27 am

Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by AtomKraft » Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 am

It seems the population of the UK are so terrified now, that c. 60% wouldn't got to the pub or a restaurant or even go on a bus or train were the lockdown to be lifted....

1. How sad to see our healthy nation reduced to acting like a shower of shitebags.
2. What a disconnect between actuality and reality. The bloody media out to hang their heads in shame. Their coverage has been shamelessly biased in favour of scaring the population shitless.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#48 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri May 01, 2020 7:31 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 am
It seems the population of the UK are so terrified now, that c. 60% wouldn't got to the pub or a restaurant or even go on a bus or train were the lockdown to be lifted....

1. How sad to see our healthy nation reduced to acting like a shower of shitebags.
2. What a disconnect between actuality and reality. The bloody media out to hang their heads in shame. Their coverage has been shamelessly biased in favour of scaring the population shitless.
Of course, it's the Lügenpresse to blame.

Actually I'm surprised, given the demographic most at risk, how big some of the old guys on here talk.

I wonder if the deeds match the words?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by barkingmad » Fri May 01, 2020 7:46 am

The deeds might very well match the words if “the old guys on here talk”ing have no pre-existing medical conditions and take care of their health.
This is the first real world-wide panic experienced by many in industry and the meeja, NONE of whom were alive when we stood on the brink of being fried to a crisp, with 4 minutes warning, in the nuclear stand-off of October 1962.
Hence the current pan(dem)ic blown up out of proportion by the Twitterati, the yoof staring at their IPads and smartphones being fed a constant diet of sh1te by MSM meeja News and appearing to be a different species from those of a certain age.
And as one of those Cuban Crisis teens in days I do not recall me deciding I was stressed out and needed mental health assistance!
We gritted our teeth, got on with it and breathed a sigh of relief when JFK and Khrushchev kissed and made up.
Viewing our politicos in the “civilised world” they appear to be driven by the need to be SEEN to be doing something, anything, to try to keep the press off their backs and to pretend they are as in control of Covid-19 as they currently are (not) in control of the global temperature rise.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Boac » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 am

BM wrote:to pretend they are as in control of Covid-19 as they currently are (not) in control of the global temperature rise.
Or in Bojo's case, his willy.

Not quite sure how you can logically equate a short-term 'wobble' over Cuba with a longer-term pandemic? I was quite 'concerned of Wood Green' at the time but decided, unlike now, I could do nothing about it (not, sadly, being a senior military occifer or Cabinet member at the time) so went to the pub with my 'Varsity mates. That sorted it out - but dented my grant.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by ian16th » Fri May 01, 2020 11:36 am

Boac wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 am
BM wrote:to pretend they are as in control of Covid-19 as they currently are (not) in control of the global temperature rise.
Or in Bojo's case, his willy.

Not quite sure how you can logically equate a short-term 'wobble' over Cuba with a longer-term pandemic? I was quite 'concerned of Wood Green' at the time but decided, unlike now, I could do nothing about it (not, sadly, being a senior military occifer or Cabinet member at the time) so went to the pub with my 'Varsity mates. That sorted it out - but dented my grant.
Most UK civilians hadn't a clue what was happening in Oct 62.

My former OC Mike Beetham was a Group Captain in a staff job by then and had been in a bunker for an extended period. When he came out all he could find in the newspapers was football!

I'll do some hunting for the quote.
Cynicism improves with age

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by ian16th » Fri May 01, 2020 11:47 am

Found it:

Link
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 01, 2020 12:46 pm

Bloody Google, another forbidden link.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by Boac » Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Forbidden? Not here - just not clear which page we should be looking at, ian?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Woody » Fri May 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Someone was worried :|

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Boac » Fri May 01, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm sure BM's 'Knut' was an extra in that film? =))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by barkingmad » Fri May 01, 2020 1:27 pm

“the short term ‘wobble’ over Cuba” might only have lasted 13 days according to history but at the time to us youngsters it seemed an eternity.
The point I was trying to make is that since then and particularly with generation snowflake there has never been such an allegedly world threatening event and the reports of teenies and those in their 20s & 30s needing mental health assistance during and post-lockdown fails signally to impress. Actually many of them were seeking MH assistance before the plague arrived due to their obsession with being liked/disliked on Twatter, Snapnumpty and the other forms of social meeja with which they are obsessed.
And I don’t believe the genuine fear of being barbecued at a few minute’s notice compares with staying at home and actually being encouraged to spend more screen time by their harassed parents/guardians in the comfort and security of a centrally heated home with adequate food and a surplus of bogroll into which they can snivel and blub at will.
Finally, as one of those up front in the queue for the Pearly Gates I am not impressed with the way in which the elderly and the weaker in UK society have been left to suffer and die whilst the strongest have been wrapped in cotton wool and mollycoddled by an unprepared but previously warned ’guvvment’.
If only some had the determination to seek controversial opinions,such as the Knutty professor,the folks in here, queueing at a similar position for the inevitable debate at the Pearly Gates, might agree with his take on the way in which the pan(dem)ic has been handled-at least in the UK.
Edit: Actually Knut does mention Dr Strangelove and his obsession with the exchange of bodily fluids and the need for that sort of thing to stop, in the part of the video you missed, boac, due to your lack of determination and patience. Not a quality I would expect to find in a former EE Lightning jockey! :)) :-w

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Boac » Fri May 01, 2020 1:38 pm

Well, I cannot confess to be overly sad at having missed exchanging bodily fluids with 'Kunt'.

The thing about being a Lightning pilot is that "determination and patience" were not long-term issues. How about 15 minutes in a reheated 'combat' sortie? I used to be able to last THAT long. =))

If I had known he was going to get smutty, however..............................

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Woody » Fri May 01, 2020 2:35 pm

Whoever beats me to the first pint will have to be moving at supersonic :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by llondel » Fri May 01, 2020 3:07 pm

I'm mostly enjoying it. The commute down the stairs to work is vastly better than driving in normal Bay Area traffic so I've regained 90 minutes per day, I get short breaks when the cat or one of the dogs turns up and asks for attention. Having to go back to the office will be a shock.