Lockup/ lockdown. How to end it?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Lockup/ lockdown. How to end it?

#241 Post by barkingmad » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:18 am

Oh dear, this does NOT look good!

For those who find it difficult to listen to and watch the presenter (bloody snowflakes!), then mute him if you must but scroll and peruse the appended comments and watch our hard won civil liberties disappear down the toilet pan of history.

Time to hit the keyboards or drag out the pens and give our MPs some real grief?!

I must keep a watch out for when and where the protest marches will be taking place.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#242 Post by Boac » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:30 am

So, what is your advice to the PM?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#243 Post by barkingmad » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:36 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:30 am
So, what is your advice to the PM?
Cut the crap and stop this destructive pretext at pandemic precautions!

Now, what is your advice, bearing in mind as advised elsewhere, I have stood down from my wish to be an advisor to HMG and the BOJo team?

With your superior cranial ability, confirmed by EEG, you should have the whole business sorted before this vote to lock us up for longer? =))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#244 Post by Boac » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:16 am

I missed your admission that you didn't have a solution - where was it? I freely admit I have no idea what the best course of action is, since the virus is still (to me) a pretty much unknown quantity.

I now note on another thread your vote appears to be to scrap all C-19 measures. Based on 'science' or what? To be so certain in your understanding of the pandemic I still think your input to HMG would be of enormous value. :-bd

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#245 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:14 am

Well it was easy-peasy to close the schools by scaring the bejabers out of everybody, but now the same man is telling the same people how vital it is for them to open.

It's hardly surprising that there is a degree of skepticism...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#246 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:47 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:16 am
I missed your admission that you didn't have a solution - where was it? I freely admit I have no idea what the best course of action is, since the virus is still (to me) a pretty much unknown quantity.

I now note on another thread your vote appears to be to scrap all C-19 measures. Based on 'science' or what? To be so certain in your understanding of the pandemic I still think your input to HMG would be of enormous value. :-bd
=))

I trust that the virus will remain an unknown quantity to barkingmad (as well as to all who post here) in the physical sense at the very least. Despite his mad scatter-gun hoopla I have come to enjoy his persona and deranged sense of humour notwithstanding all the baloney that is spouted by him and others as well.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#247 Post by OFSO » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:56 am

GG, for whatever reason, the seriousness or impact of Covid 19 has changed and we have to accept that. Unlike the UK, Spain has been lax in stopping the resurgence, there are large numbers of new infections daily, yet few admissions to hospital, fewer patients in IC, and few deaths. CV no longer appears to be the frightful scourge that it was in March.

(Remember media stories of a constant stream of ambulances and helicopters ferrying dying patients to new Nightingale hospitals in London, bodies exceeding mortuary capacity, daily funeral processions ? I was living in London for the first half of the year and it seemed to be a different world. Even now we don't know a single person in our circle who died of Covid..)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#248 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 am

OFSO wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:56 am
GG, for whatever reason, the seriousness or impact of Covid 19 has changed and we have to accept that. Unlike the UK, Spain has been lax in stopping the resurgence, there are large numbers of new infections daily, yet few admissions to hospital, fewer patients in IC, and few deaths. CV no longer appears to be the frightful scourge that it was in March.

(Remember media stories of a constant stream of ambulances and helicopters ferrying dying patients to new Nightingale hospitals in London, bodies exceeding mortuary capacity, daily funeral processions ? I was living in London for the first half of the year and it seemed to be a different world. Even now we don't know a single person in our circle who died of Covid..)
Well I am glad that the spirit of Dr Pangloss is still alive and well. Herr Leibniz would be proud of you OFSO. I too wish for and would like to believe in "the best of all possible worlds!"

I know two youngish people, i.e. younger than me, who were officially diagnosed with Covid, one (my sister) was extremely ill for over a month and is still not completely recovered some two months after that diagnosis. Prior to the illness she had no health problems whatsoever. My 43 year old, fit, marathon running neighbour is still taking drugs to remove the clots in the lungs that they couldn't remove surgically after his diagnosis. He came within an ace of dying..

I note that the official UK ONS statistics show 65,000 excess deaths over and above the norm for this time of the year based upon a the same number over the last 5 years. I assume they all died from an excess of joy.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#249 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 am

There certainly is an appalling amount of confusion.

I 'understood' I should wear a mask as necessary to prevent my asymptomatic spreading of the virus, not to prevent MY being infected. This AM on the BBC, Dr Jenny Harries, Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England, was asked about an asthmatic child returning to school and suggested he or she 'should wear a mask'??

Have I misunderstood? Is an asthmatic child more likely to be infected and spread the virus?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#250 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:22 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 am
There certainly is an appalling amount of confusion.

I 'understood' I should wear a mask as necessary to prevent my asymptomatic spreading of the virus, not to prevent MY being infected. This AM on the BBC, Dr Jenny Harries, Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England, was asked about an asthmatic child returning to school and suggested he or she 'should wear a mask'??

Have I misunderstood? Is an asthmatic child more likely to be infected and spread the virus?
There is so much drivel, of one sort or another, being spread from all quarters by so-called experts to the usual idiots that it is almost a dead certainty that this lurgy will reappear here in the UK in force in the foreseeable future. The UK is truly a case of the blind leading the blind,
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#251 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:57 am

From my experience of wearing a mask, I imagine that the risk for an asthmatic person (child or otherwise) is the possibility of inducing an asthma attack.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#252 Post by Woody » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:06 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:57 am
From my experience of wearing a mask, I imagine that the risk for an asthmatic person (child or otherwise) is the possibility of inducing an asthma attack.
That’s what happened to MrsWoody in our local T’esco, so I went online and found a lanyard and badge stating that she’s unable to wear a mask due to unseen health problems, no one has challenged her yet whilst she’s been wearing it.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#253 Post by barkingmad » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Standby for some more baloney, relayed but not authored by me, written by someone who may be qualified to speak on the topic;

“ Lockdown Was a “Monumental Mistake on a Global Scale” – Sage Member

Lockdown will come to be seen as a “monumental mistake on a global scale” and must never happen again, says Mark Woolhouse, a scientist who advises the Government on infectious diseases. The Express has the story.

Mark Woolhouse said lockdown was a “panic measure” but admitted it was the only option at the time because “we couldn’t think of anything better to do”.

But it is a crude measure that takes no accounts of the risk levels to different individuals, the University of Edinburgh professor said, meaning that back in March the nation was “concentrating on schools when we should have been concentrating on care homes”.

The Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology said that the Government must now focus on increasing testing and striving to unlock society safely rather than restricting it further.

Prof Woolhouse OBE, a member of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours that advises the Government, said: “Lockdown was a panic measure and I believe history will say trying to control Covid-19 through lockdown was a monumental mistake on a global scale, the cure was worse than the disease.

“I never want to see national lockdown again. It was always a temporary measure that simply delayed the stage of the epidemic we see now. It was never going to change anything fundamentally, however low we drove down the number of cases, and now we know more about the virus and how to track it we should not be in this position again.

“We absolutely should never return to a position where children cannot play or go to school.

“I believe the harm lockdown is doing to our education, health care access, and broader aspects of our economy and society will turn out to be at least as great as the harm done by COVID-19.”

He said that Sage, the government’s advisory board on dealing with Covid, needed to have members from a wider range of fields.
At last, one of the Government’s scientific advisors is talking sense. Worth reading in full.

Stop Press: According to NHS England there has only been one Covid death of someone under 40 in the past month.”

So WTF are we all doing, apart from some becoming (more) demented by every guvvment announcement?!

Note the complete lack of deranged sense of humour, I lost it today whilst out on my 90 minutes of hilly bikeride!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#254 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:07 pm

He certainly did not believe in 'lockdown'. We should also note he sits on the Sturgeon's Scientific panel - well respected in this site.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... d-21853063

His pronouncements on teacher infection in schools will probably need revising (in his country, anyway).

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#255 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:10 pm

“It’s just another example of hypocricy.
From the link above. Clearly the school shutdown is having an effect already... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#256 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:17 pm

Come on! It was an 'islander' - probably inbred and hairy.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#257 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:23 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:17 pm
Come on! It was an 'islander' - probably inbred and hairy.
Ah like the Viking Chieftain Hingbred the Hairy! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#258 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:23 pm
Don't Google that . . .

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#259 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:23 pm
Don't Google that . . .
Well clearly I have to now... :)

Oh I see, sex rears its hairy head again... :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#260 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:38 pm