The UK and Huaweii

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The UK and Huaweii

#1 Post by Boac » Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 am

Rather strange bedfellows, the Grauniad and the Torygraph, but they both tell us that the UK government is to 'eliminate' Huaweii from the 5g network by 2023. Nothing 'official' yet from HMS Titanic. It is also not clear if the aim is to totally eliminate Huaweii from the UK which will be a huge task, since most of our BT cabinets (66,000) use Huaweii equipment and Huaweii stuff is in exchanges for FTTP etc as well. Replacing the cabinets will be a major issue, probably requiring new non-Huaweii cabinets placed next to the existing Huaweii ones with all the planning issues associated ~ and the worry that Scummings might accidentally drive into one, of course.............. :))

I guess the Chump is pulling the hapless Bojo puppet strings on this one.

compo
Capt
Capt

Re: The UK and Huaweii

#2 Post by compo » Tue May 26, 2020 11:48 am

Boac wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 am
I guess the Chump is pulling the hapless Bojo puppet strings on this one.
Now that's just silly. Obviously Atomkraft has been in contact with the real PM

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 am

Of course! I forgot that avenue. Given his love for the Chinese I am surprised.............. :))

Moving on to the implications of this knee-jerk. Huaweii kit is good (and not TOO pricey). BT, and anyone else in the system using Huaweii kit, is not going to do all the replacements for love. They need to be funded at significant expense. Either broadband and telephone systems will need to go up steeply in price OR the government will have to fund this illogical move. That means, folks, more taxes all because Bojo is jerking on his strings to the puppet master. Interesting prospect.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Tue May 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Probably worth mentioning that Huaweii kit is considered to be the best available and that all 'alternatives' are stuffed full of Chinese manufactured chips etc. I guess that is irrelevant, though.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Tue May 26, 2020 5:06 pm

Three Huawei phones, all amazingly cheap, and two Huawei 4G internet boxes. All work.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Tue May 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Whatever you do, OFSO, don't have a Chinese takeaway because you have to stand 2m away from the food. It is a government guideline, don't you know? Oh - you might need to wear a mask but we cannot make our feeble minds up about that.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Tue May 26, 2020 6:35 pm

Wore one today for the first time. Don't know why, train was empty.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by boing » Tue May 26, 2020 6:48 pm

So BOAC, you can make your "feeble" mind up about wearing a mask but when Cummings decides to make up his apparently un-feeble own mind about family safety he needs to be fired. Double standard what?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Tue May 26, 2020 7:35 pm

boing wrote:So BOAC, you can make your "feeble" mind up about wearing a mask
Sorry, boing - can you run that past me again? I didn't get your point - not sure where I can "make my mind up about a mask". I have not, yet, actually, although I have purchased some for me and Mrs B in case the Scummings declares them to be mandatory - wherever/whenever (unless. of course, there are extenuating circumstances). Please refresh me on what you have misunderstood. The only post I am aware of was addressed to OFSO?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by AtomKraft » Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Perhaps HMG think Huawei and the Chinese are like innocent cub scouts, just trying to do their best?

Ill will towards us, is the very last thing they would ever think of!

The interests of China, are a matter of no interest to a cuddly tech company like Huawei. They are simple folk, just concerned with helping us out, like they do for the Africans.....

Get them to ****!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Tue May 26, 2020 8:57 pm

Perhaps HMG think Huawei and the Chinese are like innocent cub scouts, just trying to do their best?
That may well be the view of Scummings, but those in the industry of telephonery and broadband actually recognise the Huaweii kit is the best. We can dump it, but performance will drop, time scales will stretch and costs will rocket.

Out of interest, would you trust the USA or, say, Norway, not to 'snoop'?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by ian16th » Tue May 26, 2020 10:31 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:57 pm
Out of interest, would you trust the USA or, say, Norway, not to 'snoop'?
I think that we can take it that snooping is the norm in this game.

So its really down to who do you want to be doing the snooping?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Wed May 27, 2020 7:04 am

Add to the mix the (grudging) admission by 'Zoom' that they were routing a lot of video conferencing through Chinese servers. That presumably included some of our 'important' government stuff eg "Found a really nice service station on the way up to Durham the other week".

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Boac » Wed May 27, 2020 6:18 pm

Still nothing from the government, but 'secret' trade talks with the US go on. It is of note that as yet, no-one has managed to reverse engineer or find any 'bugs' in the Huaweii system. I do hope this nonsense gets kicked into the long grass. What is Dominic's phone number/ Better be his mobile in case he is out on a eyesight check ride.

I'm really surprised Lester hasn't got his mojo working hard on this one. Since his modest flurry in January (before his branded mugs were available for BM to buy...) when he accused HMG of being inexorably 'intertwined with China for personal gain'. and a few flurries in between taxi jobs, he has not said much, but he does suggest that the latest 'ban' on Huaweii may be the price of a US/UK trade deal. Not sure whether he thinks that is good or bad...................but the mugs are excellent value.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed May 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:04 am
Add to the mix the (grudging) admission by 'Zoom' that they were routing a lot of video conferencing through Chinese servers. That presumably included some of our 'important' government stuff eg "Found a really nice service station on the way up to Durham the other week".
Arguably the best laugh of the week. My beer buddy is moaning about something and I had to cover the headset to laugh.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by BenThere » Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 pm

I have no problem with Huawei building a good product, offered to a world-wide market. That's capitalism.

The cloud on that picture is Huawei's attachment to China's government and the potential for sinister enterprise enabled by its technology.

Apparently the US government was alarmed enough, not by the enterprise value but by the security threat, that it started squawking about it. As I sense the resistance in the US administration about Huawei, I am concerned as well.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:35 pm
boing wrote:So BOAC, you can make your "feeble" mind up about wearing a mask
Sorry, boing - can you run that past me again? I didn't get your point - not sure where I can "make my mind up about a mask". I have not, yet, actually, although I have purchased some for me and Mrs B in case the Scummings declares them to be mandatory - wherever/whenever (unless. of course, there are extenuating circumstances). Please refresh me on what you have misunderstood. The only post I am aware of was addressed to OFSO?
Hey boing, Boac... stop it. Neither of you buggers are feeble minded, yet! Leave the feeble mindedness to people like me...

:)

We hoy polloi need leaders, which you both clearly are.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by John Hill » Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 pm

BenThere wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 pm
I have no problem with Huawei building a good product, offered to a world-wide market. That's capitalism.

Losing out to a better offering is also part of capitalism so lie back and think of England.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Boac » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:03 pm

Stay sharp! From the Brighton Argus https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1850072 ... rs-sussex/

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:11 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:03 pm
Stay sharp! From the Brighton Argus https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1850072 ... rs-sussex/
Talk about the cutting edge of technology. Initially I thought you may have meant this kind of blade.

Blade Server.JPG
Blade Server.JPG (43.41 KiB) Viewed 1676 times

The tools that do this kind of idiotic thing are not sharp at all. Morons one and all.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."