brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO
Re: Canada loses bid to UN security seat - boo hoo

#21 Post by brickhistory » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:20 pm

BenThere wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:37 pm
brickhistory, Dushan,

Fond memories of our get togethers in both Seattle and Jackson Hole. We should do it again I think, and I can think of no finer place than Texas. What is your closest major airport? Would early next Spring work? For us in Toronto and Detroit, still freezing in March, that would be a good time. We'd also like to host you both in Mexico at some point.

Last issue - I was working on my Kimber Pro Carry II .45 pistol the other day and have a difficulty. I can't get the barrel spring set and don't know why. I took it to the range to renew my concealed carry permit late last year and had 3 or 4 jambs in 100 rounds. I'd never had it jamb before over 15 years. It had set in its case for about a year under my bed without being fired. I figured you would be more expert than me or I could just take it to a gunsmith. I've been shopping .45, 5 shot, short barrel and lightweight revolvers, mostly with my wife in mind. They are simple, intuitive, and you can readily take a look to make sure the chamber is safe. And no springs to deal with. Also semi racking is harder for my wife, requiring a 15 pound or so pull to get a clean rack. I was thinking a good solution would be 2 small .45 revolvers, one for each jacket pocket which should cover most situations and be easily concealed and ready. Any thoughts?

Are you still working?
So, hell yeah, let's do it! The San Antonio (also the closest airport) area can be in can be freezing or damned hot or both in almost any month. Wife and I are debating a gathering of the ringed clan but in someplace new like North Dakota or Maine or Idaho.

As to your pistol issues:
Not qualified to diagnose an issue remotely. A 'smith is your best bet every time. Sounds like a worn spring to me, but let the expert help you with something this important.

I recently switched from a Springfield XDS in .45 - wonderful to conceal, but damned snappy to shoot and painful to practice with after about 50 rounds. Switched to what wife also carries - S&W Shield in 9mm. Also ultra concealable, but the 9 is much easier to shoot (including for wife) than a really big bore. Some quality JHP and I"m comfortable with the choice. Also allows for similar practice/carry/swapping magazines with commonality.

Likewise on your big caliber revolver idea. If both of you are still robust and practice, then sure, go for the .45 (acp in revolver is scarce on the ground. .45LC is common). If doing that, go .44 special. .38s have been doing the business for over a century, again with a good JHP and are much more pleasant to shoot/practice. Just don't go with an ultra-lightweight. Little bastard hurts to shoot; couldn't imagine a snubby .357 lightweight.

Oh, and I'll send an invite to Justin to see if he wants to attend since he won't be at the Security Council meetings. Wonder if he'll arrive in blackface (again)?
What's his plan? A Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by Dushan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:33 am

You do that Brick; tell him I said hello.

Getting together in Texas would be fun. I just don’t know how flying is going to work, and if the borders are going to be open for "non-essential" travel, although going to Texas to spend quality time with my friends, at a firing range should be considered essential. I was thinking maybe a road trip, but it is so far. Maybe take a couple of weeks and see all the "no passport required" wonders of the world.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by Dushan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 am

Ben, best to take the Kimber for service, but just make sure that the spring isn’t asymmetrical. It would be dumb to make it that way, but just in case you accidentally put it in reversed. It’s highly unlikely that it is made that way, but who knows. In any way I would reverse it and try again. Maybe it got slightly deformed on one end and binds. Also stretch it a bit since it was sitting unused (tsk, tsk) for so long.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by John Hill » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:08 am

BenThere wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:50 pm
A "GOOD SOLUTION" to what?
A strategy for self-defense. I would have thought that would be obvious to one with such cognitive skills such as you possess.

We don't have your luxury of living in a crime/violence free environment.
I believe your wife is from Australia? So why don't you take her home and away from that environment of crime and violence?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by BenThere » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:21 pm

We strongly considered retiring in Australia after I retired in 2016. In fact I moved some money there in anticipation. We go there for a month around every Christmas to spend time with family.

At that time the Australian dollar was trading at above $1 USD. We looked at real estate and general cost of living and decided it was too expensive and decided to invest in Mexico, where we can enjoy a come and go access while maintaining our home in Michigan and have a paradise resort property as an escape and potential bolt-hole. We got a lot more for our money than we would have in Australia at the time. Now the Aussie dollar is trading at under $.70 and is much more reasonable. Had that been the case at the time we would probably be now living around Adelaide. But that time is past. We're now firmly entrenched in Mexico.

I think when my wife becomes a widow she will strongly reconsider that move and cash in her North American assets. If she did that today she would live quite comfortably in Oz on what she would have. She has no blood relatives here but dozens there, which is why we spend a month there every year.

As to the crime/violence equation, there is crime and violence in Adelaide, though not to the degree we have around Detroit. The tradeoff is that here I can defend myself and family, in Oz I can't.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by John Hill » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:37 pm

BenThere wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:21 pm
The tradeoff is that here I can defend myself and family, in Oz I can't.
Obviously you fear you cannot defend your wife if you feel it necessary for her to carry two guns everywhere.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#27 Post by brickhistory » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:26 pm

John Hill wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Obviously you fear you cannot defend your wife if you feel it necessary for her to carry two guns everywhere.
Love internet tough guys and/or sanctimony.

Both are good for a laugh.

I was asked the other day, "How are you changing your behavior, Brick, to make your contribution to all that's going on now?"

"I carry a reload now," I answered.

They were not amused...

I was.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#28 Post by brickhistory » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Further, I can imagine the scene where John Hill is faced with unreasoning, sudden violence:

"Stop! For I am filled with self-righteousness and the poke at thee with the Finger of Judgement!"

A previous generation might've referred to "the fickle finger of fate," but I chose not to,

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by John Hill » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:34 pm

brickhistory wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:25 pm
Further, I can imagine the scene where John Hill is faced with unreasoning, sudden violence:
The most likely occasion like that liable to occur around here is to be confronted by a Jersey bull and I doubt your pocket pea shooters would be of much use.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#30 Post by brickhistory » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 pm

Jersey bull?

Son, that's a calf 'round here...Image

But funny you bring up a bull.

Returning from gassing up my car today, I passed a sheriff's SUV driving very slowly up the shoulder of the road on my side with lights flashing.

Slow down, give a wide berth, look to see what's up.

He's trying to herd a pretty large Hereford bull up the road as it's obviously gotten out and will ruin someone's day if it goes on the highway.
Turn around, pull up, park my car, get out and coax big bastard along the fence that he's on the wrong side of while the deputy keeps the traffic away. We get him into a field when Mr. Rancher shows up and takes over.

God bless Texas.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by John Hill » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:26 pm

It is not the size of the bull or his horns but his temperament. Jersey cows are the most gracious of all farm animals but don't even blink at a Jersey bull at close range.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by BenThere » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:10 am

Great news! More Americans are arming themselves.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisdorse ... 0d2d3a2421

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by John Hill » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:43 am

BenThere wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:10 am
Great news! More Americans are arming themselves.
You think it is good news that people are getting so concerned for their safety that are persuaded to up their gun levels? Sad news perhaps.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:25 pm

No worries, plenty of spare people and plenty of people ready to make new people......

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#35 Post by Dushan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:35 pm

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/un-shock ... in-israel/

Back to virtues of UN...

The United Nations is “shocked and deeply disturbed” by footage of a couple apparently having sex in one of its official cars in Israel, according to a report Friday.

The scandalous viral video, shot in Tel Aviv, shows a woman in a red dress straddling a man in the back seat of a white SUV with UN markings, according to the BBC.

The people caught on camera are believed to be staff members of a peacekeeping organization in Israel, UN officials told the outlet.

“We are shocked and deeply disturbed by what is seen on this video,” said Stéphane Dujarric, the spokesman for the UN’s Secretary-General. “[It] goes against everything we stand for and having been working to achieve in terms of fighting misconduct by UN staff.”

Dujarric called the behavior “abhorrent” and said an investigation into the matter was “moving very quickly.”

“We expect the process to be concluded very quickly and intend to promptly take the appropriate action,” Dujarric said.

The UN has strict policies against sexual misconduct by its staff members, and workers may be disciplined — or possibly banned from peacekeeping operations — if they are found to be in breach of the rules, according to the BBC.

The UN has long been plagued by allegations of sexual misconduct by its peacekeepers and other staff with frequent allegations in recent years.

In 2019, there were a total of 175 allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse against UN staff members, according to the BBC. Of those allegations, 16 were substantiated, 15 were unsubstantiated and the others are still being investigated.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:11 pm

No seatbelts? [-X
Distracted driver? :-q
Not very safe sex! ~X( :))

PP

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by John Hill » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:26 am

'Sexual misconduct'? I ask you "A woman on top"? Oh dear the bearded-weirdos among the local street goers must have blow their socks off!

Bob
Capt
Capt

#38 Post by Bob » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm sure most Americans actually like other Americans, but obviously not enough to trust they wont get shot by one
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access