Canada loses bid to UN security seat - boo hoo

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Dushan
Capt
Capt

Canada loses bid to UN security seat - boo hoo

#1 Post by Dushan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:06 am

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columni ... falls-flat

So Skippy, despite spending millions of our hard earned dollars on various stunts and doling it out to 3rd World despots, managed to lose the bid, and in the first round of balloting.

Don’t get me wrong, I shed no tears for this. I am happy, actually, as anything to do with UN is a sham. High Priests of Culture Elite, on the East River. Can’t wait for the day 1 UN Plaza becomes a condo building.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Canada loses bid to UN security seat - boo hoo

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 pm

So what international organisations do you think your adoptive country should belong to?

I am known as a "soutpiel" (literally salty penis) in South Africa because I have one leg in Britain and the other in South Africa and my dick in the sea. What do they call a man who has one foot in Canada and the other one in the USA? I guess your 3rd leg must fall into the Niagara falls, which must be bloody cold in winter... :-s

I think we should be told?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by Dushan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:25 pm

None. Why does there need to be an "international organization"? That’s just a bunch of freeloaders scheming how to get more free lunches on account of those who contribute.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Dushan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:25 pm
None. Why does there need to be an "international organization"? That’s just a bunch of freeloaders scheming how to get more free lunches on account of those who contribute.
Waffle! You are as bad as the UN. You have not answered one of my questions.

Are you part of the problem? Part of the solution? Or just a know nothing blowhard?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by tango15 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:35 pm

Dushan wrote:
I have visited the UN Building in New York once and the one in Geneva several times. Two things struck me: one was the number of apparently unoccupied offices, the other was the totally disproportionate number of people whose skin is darker than mine.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by Dushan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:37 pm

I did answer one of your questions. The first one. The answer is "none".

As for what you call a man... I don’t know as your description does not fit. Both my legs are firmly planted on Canadian soil, except when I go shopping to Buffalo or visit BenThere in Ann Arbor. Or go shooting with brickhistory in Wyoming.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 pm

tango15 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:35 pm
Dushan wrote:
I have visited the UN Building in New York once and the one in Geneva several times. Two things struck me: one was the number of apparently unoccupied offices, the other was the totally disproportionate number of people whose skin is darker than mine.
How you ever thought that statistically, world wide there might more people other than your lily white arse (sorry: brain) might have conceived of?

What a ****, ridiculous, stupid comment. I expected better of you!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by John Hill » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Oh yes, how about an end to all international organisations, we could begin with Trump taking over all functions of the WHO.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by John Hill » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 pm

tango15 wrote:
I have visited the UN Building in New York once and the one in Geneva several times. Two things struck me: one was the number of apparently unoccupied offices...........

They would all be away on what they call a "mission" travelling in Business Class to the most exotic parts of the world and indulging in fine dining in the 5 star plus hotels. Such hotels include the Intercontinental in Kabul and the Koryo in Pyongyang. How would I know this?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by Dushan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:23 pm

tango15 wrote:
Dushan wrote:

Exactly my point. They all have plum positions in NY, with apartments paid for, skip work day because they are not accountable to anyone, and park illegally all over the city.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by tango15 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:31 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 pm
tango15 wrote:
Dushan wrote:
How you ever thought that statistically, world wide there might more people other than your lily white arse (sorry: brain) might have conceived of?

What a f*cking, ridiculous, stupid comment. I expected better of you!
I don't trade insults - it's not my style. I was too well brought up for that and I don't swear on forums or on other occasions generally.

Having spent a considerable part of my life travelling around the world, I am well aware of the various statistics regarding ethnicity. I simply ask you this. If you go into a building and see that most of the people (I mean about 80%) are wearing various forms of tribal dress, (which of course they are perfectly entitled to do), then given that they are called the United Nations, do you seriously believe that the interests of the rest of the world are being represented?
As Dushan says, and ignoring their ethnic backgrounds, those who work there seem to do very little for their coin; hence my mention of the empty offices. My personal experience of dealing with the people inside those buildings was one of frustration and despair, because few, if any of them had any interest in what they were doing.

Just for the record, at my senior school, in the late 1950s in the UK, we sat in alphabetical order. I sat between a black lad on one side and a Chinese lad on the other. I am still friends with both of them. I have a number of friends whose skin is much darker than mine, but let's leave it at that. You are well aware of the point I was making, but for reasons best known to yourself, you have turned it into some sort of personal tirade against me. Thus, to avoid further conflict and a serious thread drift, I shall take my lily white arse as you describe it away from this particular thread.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by llondel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:05 pm

Dushan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:23 pm
Exactly my point. They all have plum positions in NY, with apartments paid for, skip work day because they are not accountable to anyone, and park illegally all over the city.
New York isn't the only city with the illegal parking problem, I understand that London would like to charge carious countries a fair bit for where they leave their cars, and even having them within the congestion zone in the first place.

The EU has a bunch of politicians who, instead of staying in Brussels, up sticks and move everything, at EU taxpayers' expense, to Strasbourg and back at regular intervals for no sensible reason. Unaccountable types exist everywhere, it seems.

Seenenough

#13 Post by Seenenough » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:34 pm

"I don't trade insults - it's not my style. I was too well brought up for that and I don't swear on forums or on other occasions generally."

Unfortunately the Three Amigos do not live by these principles, often when a bit too much wine has been consumed.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#14 Post by brickhistory » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:50 am

Dushan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:37 pm
I did answer one of your questions. The first one. The answer is "none".

As for what you call a man... I don’t know as your description does not fit. Both my legs are firmly planted on Canadian soil, except when I go shopping to Buffalo or visit BenThere in Ann Arbor. Or go shooting with brickhistory in Wyoming.
I'm thinking that a man contains at least some water and not had all his bodily liquid replaced with alcohol. Not sure what to call that transformation. But I'm sure there's some protected category for it.

And we need to make the next shooting range time here in Texas.

As to dreamy Justin's failed attempt at getting the two year gig on the Security Council, may I just say "HA!"
What's his plan? A Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan.

Capetonian

#15 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 am

main-qimg-fd5c8a559e1f3279519664facbbd7bb3.png
main-qimg-fd5c8a559e1f3279519664facbbd7bb3.png (123.56 KiB) Viewed 870 times
I suppose it depends whether one considers the various types of 'Asian' as lighter or darker than 'white'.

I am 'white' as in Caucasian but frequently see Asian and ME people with skins as light or even lighter than mine, so skin colour is hardly an accurate measure. I had a 'Cape Coloured' friend in CPT, who had blue eyes and a light skin, and people often asked which of us was 'white' and which was 'coloured', as it was only his accent that gave away his background.

Everybody who can is riding the UN gravy train. Africans in their bright tribal clothing may be more visible than others, I'm not sure that makes them greater offenders.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:13 am

Pleased to see them called Malagasy and not the Madagascan that is becoming common usage.
Cynicism improves with age

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by BenThere » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:37 pm

brickhistory, Dushan,

Fond memories of our get togethers in both Seattle and Jackson Hole. We should do it again I think, and I can think of no finer place than Texas. What is your closest major airport? Would early next Spring work? For us in Toronto and Detroit, still freezing in March, that would be a good time. We'd also like to host you both in Mexico at some point.

Last issue - I was working on my Kimber Pro Carry II .45 pistol the other day and have a difficulty. I can't get the barrel spring set and don't know why. I took it to the range to renew my concealed carry permit late last year and had 3 or 4 jambs in 100 rounds. I'd never had it jamb before over 15 years. It had set in its case for about a year under my bed without being fired. I figured you would be more expert than me or I could just take it to a gunsmith. I've been shopping .45, 5 shot, short barrel and lightweight revolvers, mostly with my wife in mind. They are simple, intuitive, and you can readily take a look to make sure the chamber is safe. And no springs to deal with. Also semi racking is harder for my wife, requiring a 15 pound or so pull to get a clean rack. I was thinking a good solution would be 2 small .45 revolvers, one for each jacket pocket which should cover most situations and be easily concealed and ready. Any thoughts?

Are you still working?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by llondel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:17 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 am
main-qimg-fd5c8a559e1f3279519664facbbd7bb3.png

I suppose it depends whether one considers the various types of 'Asian' as lighter or darker than 'white'.

I am 'white' as in Caucasian but frequently see Asian and ME people with skins as light or even lighter than mine, so skin colour is hardly an accurate measure. I had a 'Cape Coloured' friend in CPT, who had blue eyes and a light skin, and people often asked which of us was 'white' and which was 'coloured', as it was only his accent that gave away his background.
In China, the porcelain-white skin was seen as high status, because it implied that the person did not have to go out in the sun and farm the fields. Even now (as in the last five years when I was last there), some Chinese women can be seen with a small parasol to shade them if they're outside in the sun. It's interesting how such things change - having a tan is acceptable and even encouraged in much of Western society, although that may change again if there's too much skin cancer appearing. Many years ago, having a fat wife was seen as status because it implied you were wealthy enough to feed her enough to make her fat, and she didn't have to work hard (which would burn it all off again).

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by John Hill » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 pm

BenThere wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:37 pm
I was thinking a good solution would be 2 small .45 revolvers, one for each jacket pocket which should cover most situations and be easily concealed and ready. Any thoughts?
I can just imagine my wife's reactions if I suggested she carried a gun in each pocket just because someone on the Internet thinks that is a good "solution".

A "GOOD SOLUTION" to what?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by BenThere » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:50 pm

A "GOOD SOLUTION" to what?
A strategy for self-defense. I would have thought that would be obvious to one with such cognitive skills such as you possess.

We don't have your luxury of living in a crime/violence free environment.