**** Hell!

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

**** Hell!

#1 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Nice these days, if you are retired- your pension comes through the door, and never mind whose money it was.
Nice, if you work for the State. No matter how useful, or useless you are- bingo!

Who do you think pays for all this?

It's us workers- and we are being double teamed by you bastards.

Bob
Capt
Capt

Re: f*cking Hell!

#2 Post by Bob » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:45 pm

I'm with you......its time the **** slackers were taken down and make no mistake :D
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by om15 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:08 pm

if you are retired- your pension comes through the door,
Every penny of my pension comes from a provider that has funds given to it by me, from my earnings over nearly fifty years, in the last few years of self employment I contributed £40K per annum into my funds.
Who do you think pays for all this?
Current workers do not fund my retirement, I do.

Other than a few years RAF service (which does not generate any form of pension what so ever) I have never worked for the State. If you find that attractive why don't you work for the State instead of contracting in foreign parts?

As a small boy I was told by my Granny that the world didn't owe me a living, she was absolutely right, it is a pity that more people didn't have wise Grannies.

I feel sorry for people who have lost their jobs because of Covid, but at the end of the day it is their own responsibility to get by, not the Government or States responsibility.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:25 pm

I wish I had kept all my pay checks. I suppose AK would say he paid my salary while I was working and my pension now. But at least I kept the peace yo enable him so to do.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by larsssnowpharter » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:14 pm

Well, AK, you seem to be quite an embittered individual. You come on here and rant about Chinese and blacks and now the target of your anger seems to be those who are government employees or who have pensions.

Whilst I have every sympathy with your current predicament (having had similar misfortune myself in the past), I can tell you that your resentful attitude will not do you any favours.

Instead, I would suggest, you should look on it as a challenge to be tackled full on with some sense of rationality. Sit down and take a deep look at yourself and your mindset and make Plan A,B C etc. Then start working on them.

I sincerely wish you the best.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by barkingmad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:27 am

AK, are you ranting about the same thing to which we refer as a ‘pension’?

If I have put aside some of my hard-earned dosh to keep me in beer vouchers in my dotage, having salted it away in a bank, building society or other hopefully reliable institution, I expect to be able to get it back some day as it was not a gift to anyone else.

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org ... ion-scheme

The UK has operated a National Insurance scheme for decades and it was supposedly just that, with the added advantage of economy of scale but unfortunately without efficiency or easy oversight.

I suspect your rant was made , ‘drink having been taken’, or you are just stirring the pot to see what reaction occurs as a result?

Better direct your ire to those whose pension pots are measured in figures most of us can only dream of. The average contributor to this forum has likely not been in a position to bargain for an obscene amount of pension as part of their job, we’ve all just had to sign up to work hard and get on with it.

Try a spell horizontal in a dark and quiet room and you may feel better having meditated on the OP?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:22 am

When I left the RAF at a very tender age, I started earning good money. I sought and obtained good financial advice. That included an education in the power of Compounding. I put a sensible percentage of my net income into a personally managed pension fund, increasing the percentage annually even in years when I wanted to buy a better car, and became a nominal millionaire long before I was of State Pension age.

I think that The Power of Compounding should be taught at Primary school and then again at secondary school, by law. It's, by far, the most important element in financial management for any young adult.

**** State Pension. It's chickenfeed. I don't know how anyone can be expected to lead a dignified life on an income of £167/wk. Go your own way, young man/woman, that's what I tell youngsters who will listen.

Edited to add: WobblinGoblin will be along shortly with an anthem along those lines.
;)))

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:32 am

Well guys, I might have put that better.

What I was getting at is the unfairness of the situation today.

When I was a UK pilot, I paid an absolute fortune into HMRCs coffers.

Now, my jobs disappeared, and the industry with it.

The millions of people who live off the State in the U.K. Are largely unaffected. Government workers plod on on full pay, while private sector workers are thrown under a bus in their millions.

It's the taxes paid by those private sector workers that pays the wages of those employed by the state.

I keep hearing "We're all in this together"- are we ****!
If you work for the State, you've hardly been affected.
If you're in the private sector, or self employed it's been a bloody disaster.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:40 am

Who else do you expect to pay men to mend the drains and empty the bins and to man the Blairforce One aircraft and the Blaircraft Carriers?

Such costs really do have to be borne by the taxpayer y'know.

You really can't expect to endlessly shuffle such costs off into the future in the form of a national debt.

Those debts, even though we all know that they will never be repaid, have costs too, even at very low rates of interest through their ubiquity.

Just servicing those debts has enormous cost, if you understand the power of compounding.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 am

Pontious.
I'm not demeaning you. I've also served in the Armed Forces and for the local council.
These are important jobs, and certainly there were deductions on my payslip for 'tax', but the truth is my entire salary was first collected from private sector taxpayers, then given to me, with a bit lopped off for 'tax'!

I'm just pointing to the difference in outcomes during this Corona crisis.

The private sector taxpayers are paying for everything, and we don't mind.

But the public sector has been completely shielded from the negative consequences of Covid, while those who pay their wages get it in the neck!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:50 am

AK, I did write a long reply before yours above. The aspects: where did the money come from to pay your wages from which 20, 40 or more was lopped off?

Then of course I had already had 20% lopped of what you had given me. I then had 22% lopped off what I gave you. You had 20% or more chopped from that before what you finally had to spend, less of course 22% that was lopped from it again.

I just wonder how much of that pound in our pockets does not filter through the treasury. Some will leak overseas to pay for primary products (food and clothes, chinaware etc) or secondary products such as raw materials. I would guess pence.

PS, the likes of Ian and Alison will be getting every penny from HMG.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:25 am

And the private sector workers got the wherewithal to pay their taxes from the public sector workers whose pay from those private taxes was used but the product from those private sector employees.

Let's just look briefly and simplistically at your private £1,000. Well £800 actually as the State took £200 to pay the public servant. You then went and spent your hard earned £800 on a valuable product in UK. The shop from whom you bought this product kept £640 and the other £160 goes . . .
Let us assume there were no expenses to pay, another £128 went to . . .

Now of course the public sector pay is traditionally assumed to be less than private sector so it doesn't take that much to pay for one monkey on your back.

I would love to know just how much money from a pound does not pass through the Treasury.

As an aside, in many banana countries (can one day that) the preferred currency is there US dollar. I take a freshly minted greenback to one of these countries, does it ever find its way back to the US?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:25 am
I take a freshly minted greenback to one of these countries, does it ever find its way back to the US?
Your freshly minted greenback is fiat currency. It is a promise to pay back someone's debt, probably the gumment's debt.

The US national debt is currently running at $213,276 per taxpayer.

That debt will probably never be repaid, ergo that 'money' is actually worthless.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:00 pm

When were beads devalued?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:31 pm

UP, there was a time, 1960s, there was a long banking strike in Northern Ireland. Pubs etc were quite happy to take bearer cheques. Often these were never presented or were out of time and returned to drawer. They often had different signatures and stamps, the original recipient having been recompensed the drawer would just forget about it.

The same would happen overseas. A British Officer's word was his bond. I have some letters from Mesopotamia chasing my grandfather for money. No idea if he ever paid.

But where I have been trusted I have ensured I paid. One time I needed the glass lens for a fog lamp. This supplier sent it out to Cyprus by return invoice enclosed. There was no charge for postage which was considerable; I added postage to the invoiced amount.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by Dushan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:54 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 am

These are important jobs, and certainly there were deductions on my payslip for 'tax', but the truth is my entire salary was first collected stolen from private sector taxpayers, then given to me, with a bit lopped stolen off for 'tax'!

AK, fixed it for you.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:10 am

Thanks Dushan.
👍

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by Rossian » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:15 am

Back in the late '60s I paid for a Noritake dinner/tea and coffee service for eight with a UK cheque "validated" with my F1250. That was in Changi village. Ten months later I had a query from LLoyds Cox's and Kings branch in Pall Mall regretting that the cheque was out of time and they would be unable to honour it. The back of it was covered on countersignings in a variety of scripts and even a "chop" from someone in Hong Kong, almost every square millimetre was covered. Who lost out? Presumably the last squiggle on the back of the cheque? Whoever he/she was.

The Ancient Mariner

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by Rossian » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:41 am

And in a similar but much later incident in the '80s, I was asked by a Dutch Navy guy I'd been working with in France if I would mind nipping in to Dingle's depart. store in Plymouth to find out what had happened to a Wedgewood dinner service he'd paid for some considerable time before and had heard nothing more. It was a fairly exotic design and not very common and correspondingly expensive.
The shop was apologetic,they had the china but the guy's Eurocheque had expired and he hadn't left a contact number.
It so happened there was a Dutch MPA in at St Mawgan that week end and we knew the captain well. Long story short we paid for it and drove VERY carefully home and arranged to meet the captain in the mess bar later. He called the owner of the china who had agreed to pay me with a EC, but matey didn't think that was very satisfactory and after a sharp conversation with the owner came back to the bar went to the copilot (and imprest holder) and told him to fetch the money in sterling. Not a happy copilot but I soon had the cost + a bit extra in my pocket.
SWMBO said how do know you could trust this guy to pay up? My reply was that we knew his sqadron CO and his Base Commander from way back and a bounced cheque would have been sorted out with a couple of letters and a phone call, probably to the detriment of his career. Dutch naval officers were an honourable bunch in those days.

The Ancient Mariner

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:04 am

As the crew impress holder for away days I insisted on getting a letter of authority despite the skipper says it wasn't necessary.

The odds of an unplanned night stop were better than 50-50 so I packed my civies in my para bag and it duly came to pass that we went u/s in Oldenburg. On the strength of my letter of authority 'please pay the bearer huge amounts of money, Aunt Betty will pay', against his better judgement the German cashier gave me several thousand drinking tickets (but that's another story).

For some weeks afterwards I kept getting pleading phone calls to please repay him the money. Bloody bean counters were being particularly mean but he got repaid in the end.

We actually got invited back and asked to bring a Buccaneer too. We were all given lots more real drinking tickets this time and given lessons in his Germans could really organise a piss up and that is yet another story.