Charlie Hebdo

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Charlie Hebdo

#1 Post by om15 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:33 am

French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo has republished cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed that made them the target of a deadly terror attack in 2015. This as the trial of the accomplices to the three people who committed the murders of innocent French people is starting.
The three are not available as they are believed to have died in Syria during airstrikes, but are being tried in their absence.
Is this magazine merely stirring up the situation by publishing these cartoons, or are they exercising their rights under French law to do so? Should the law be changed in order that the sensibilities of Muslim immigrants to France can be observed, or should the incomers be subject to French law in the same way that French people are?

Republishing the cartoons is provocative, but legal, however is it a wise thing to do?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Charlie Hebdo

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:33 am

Om, is it wise? That depends if you simply want to put your head down and hope they will go away. Certainly provocative but certainly assertive of their right. It is something few politicians dare to do if they wish to be reelected.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by barkingmad » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:51 am

Apparently it was not Voltaire who said those famous words.

But modified for the new Century, they should read: “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll put you to death if you do say it”.

I trust the security around the Hebdo offices has been duly uprated, but as the book ‘1,000 Years For Revenge’ by Peter Lance illustrates, they will bide their time and strike again when it suits.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/527 ... or_Revenge

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:27 am

I said it to my parents back then and I still thing it is valid (initially taught by my mother). My mother used to say feel free to say as much as you want (I guess with a reason / limit) but dare not use your hands. In other words yes Charlie Hebdo did provoke possibly but those guys out there did escalate it in a completely unacceptable way. And I am definitely sure the killers wouldn't want to be subject to a similar response by some ultra-right activist.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:31 am

Should the law be changed in order that the sensibilities of Muslim immigrants to France can be observed,
Definitely not. If France was so attractive to them to want to emigrate to, why then try to change it to the( apparently ) 'orrible place that they were so desirous of leaving ?

I've felt this way ever since, at age 16, I was forced to wear a crash helmet to ride a motor cycle, against my, then, misplaced teenage assumption that " it will never happen to me " and stop ordering me to do what you think is best for me whilst immigrant Sikhs were allowed ( then ) to ride without a helmet because it was against their culture to remove their turban in public.

I accept that political refugees are a different issue, but they should be grateful that at least they can live safely, and should adapt to the new culture that they find themselves in, which presumably is far better than that which they have been forced - or chosen - to leave ?

" When in Rome do as the Romans do"

QED.

Bergerie 1
PPL
PPL

#6 Post by Bergerie 1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 am

The law most certainly should not be changed. Charlie Hebdo said equally insulting things about Catholicism.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by Bob » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 am

Anyone who thinks a joke about their chosen sky-pixie deserves lethal retribution isnt worth giving a ***** about and certainly not worth abandoning your countries freedoms and customs for.
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by barkingmad » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:15 pm

"Anyone who thinks a joke about their chosen sky-pixie deserves lethal retribution isnt worth giving a *sh*t* about and certainly not worth abandoning your countries freedoms and customs for."

I dunno where you are Bob, other than "here", but I see signs of the UK abandoning our freedoms and customs for the benefit of the incomers. [-X