www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Great Economic Reset

#63 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:19 pm

I went for a drive into town yesterday, and planting is now completed.
I am completed surrounded by hay and clover fields. I cannot see a potato, and we are normally potato central. I have always been able to see potatoes. I had to drive for six miles before I saw a cash crop field. There is a preponderance of corn this year, which I note takes significantly less fertilizer than any of the usual crops. None of this is at all normal.
I conclude that all the local farmers are playing it very safe this year, planting low input crops and leaving fallow if they can. I know hay was short last year. Given the problems with labor over the last couple of years, I would guess stuff like cabbages are down a lot too. I have also not seen a big tractor in use. All the mowing and baling is able to be done with the smaller, more economical ones.
Whilst this is fine for both the farmers and the locals, it is not good for the places we normally export to. It's also not good for government in terms of taxes.

Personally, I am hoping to be self-sufficient through this winter in tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, squash, and onions.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:41 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:19 pm
I went for a drive into town yesterday, and planting is now completed.
I am completed surrounded by hay and clover fields. I cannot see a potato, and we are normally potato central. I have always been able to see potatoes. I had to drive for six miles before I saw a cash crop field. There is a preponderance of corn this year, which I note takes significantly less fertilizer than any of the usual crops. None of this is at all normal.
I conclude that all the local farmers are playing it very safe this year, planting low input crops and leaving fallow if they can. I know hay was short last year. Given the problems with labor over the last couple of years, I would guess stuff like cabbages are down a lot too. I have also not seen a big tractor in use. All the mowing and baling is able to be done with the smaller, more economical ones.
Whilst this is fine for both the farmers and the locals, it is not good for the places we normally export to. It's also not good for government in terms of taxes.

Personally, I am hoping to be self-sufficient through this winter in tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, squash, and onions.
Clover is often used as a substitute for expensive fertiliser as it is brilliant at fixing nitrogen into the soil from the atmosphere. It also makes excellent animal feed, almost as a bonus.

That damned war against Russia is having all kinds of knock-on effects all over the world.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by llondel » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:14 pm

When I was at school I remember being taught about crop rotation, which reduced the need for fertiliser and pesticide. Sounds like that's what people are trying again, instead of monoculture.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Boac » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:36 am

No need to panic - the economists are advising governments:

Citi says oil will collapse to $65 per barrel.
JPM says oil could go up to $380 per barrel.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:34 am

Looks like war in the Netherlands

Police fired on a tractor driver yesterday

..and today the farmers bought themselves a tank

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:29 pm

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Here's what happens after a dozen years of insane moneyprinting

#69 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:51 pm

A rare cask of single malt whisky has been sold by a Scottish distillery for a record £16m.

Ardbeg said "Cask No. 3" was bought by an unnamed female collector based in Asia through a private sale.

Experts said the sale had surpassed all auction records for a cask of single malt.

Last month, a cask of The Macallan 1988 whisky sold at auction for £1m, after being bought 34 years ago for just £5,000.

The Ardbeg spirit, which was distilled in 1975, was originally laid down to age in two separate casks before being transferred to a single sherry butt in 2014.

It contains sufficient spirit to fill 440 bottles, valuing each one at £36,000.

Islay-based Ardbeg said the butt would be bottled gradually for its new owner over the next five years. Each year, she will receive 88 bottles.

My Edinburgh vintner has dropped a pretty strong hint who bought that cask of Mac'88. :YMPARTY:

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:35 pm

Do you think that whoever was responsible for transferring the whisky to the single cask was permitted to lick their fingers afterwards?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:12 pm

In their trade they call it "the Angels' share". ;)))

Edited to add that:
The cask is undoubtedly in Bond, so the decanting of those 88 bottles will need to be very closely supervised by the Deil and the Exciseman. More scope for vapourisation, I would think.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 pm

Toppled Parliament of the Week:
2 weeks ago: Sri Lanka
Last week: Panama
This week: Iraq

Next week: ??

Place your bets please!

(n.b. Italy self-toppling doesn't count)

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#73 Post by Dushan » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:41 pm

Canada SDOULD be next, but sadly won't...
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:35 pm

Canada has a government??

We do what we like round here.

Anyway, the consensus of opinion over coffee in the garage this morning was that crunch time would be November, which is when it seems a lot of people will be running out of money. Opinion contributors included retired farmer, electrical lineman, bus driver, auto mechanic, and me. Also, agriculture will be screwed next year if fertilizer prices stay high. Most everyone had pre-bought for this year, so no big effect yet.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#75 Post by Dushan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:55 am

Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:35 pm
Canada has a government??
Well, yes, more like a clown show, actually with a bunch of dilettantes on Parliament Hill pretending to do “adult stuff”.
The clown in chief got a Jesuit haircut because he was meeting with the Pope in order to keep with his “dress for the occasion” custom.

And now they are offering to buy a Chinese $400 knock off AR-15 for $1,300 while paying $2,000 for a $10k BMG. There is going to be a lot of boating accidents soon, I think.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:53 pm

Argentina, always a good each-way bet, coming up fast on the Stand side...
argentina-protests-700x420.jpg
argentina-protests-700x420.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Inflation now 60% and rising.

In other news:
Zelensky, confirmed by a World Bank Agribusiness advisor, is estimating the Ukraine grain harvest at 50% of normal this year. Pretty much in line with the estimated planting data I posted a couple of months ago.
Meanwhile, the drought in the US and Canadian prairies continues. Hay is so short and expensive that cattle are being sold for slaughter at a much higher rate than normal.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:15 am

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by llondel » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:41 pm

Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:53 pm
Meanwhile, the drought in the US and Canadian prairies continues. Hay is so short and expensive that cattle are being sold for slaughter at a much higher rate than normal.
I wonder if that will increase the number of people choosing to go vegetarian? I eat a lot less meat than I used to, but that's partly because I'm not convinced about the practices of the US meat industry. If I was still back where I lived in the UK I'd still be putting in my monthly bacon order to the local farm shop which sourced their meat within a 30 mile radius.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:53 pm

Dunno.
I get all my meat from within a 30 mile radius; raised, slaughtered, and prepped. Actually I get everything but tea, coffee, and prawns from my island. Half my fruit and veg I now grow myself. Next year it will be everything except lemons and limes, but I think I have a source for lemon and lime trees now.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:03 pm

You may not have had the 'Flu for a while, but chickens have.

94m dead or culled this year already, vs 54m all last year, and a 15-year average of 10m per year.

full graph here
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... nsecurity/