A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Vaccination 'Passports'.

#61 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:08 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:00 pm
Can any of our 'Saffer' friends tell us if the 'Book of Life' is still used in SA? though I am not in favour of a UK identity card, when resident in SA in the 1970's I thought the Book of Life was a useful document. was an identity document but contained things like, marriage, driving and firearms licences etc.
Must still have mine in a drawer somewhere in the house.
It is. They now also bloody fingerprint you when you renew it. Pin and chip technology with the obligatory holographic image of one's handsomeness... :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#62 Post by Dushan » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Can any of our 'Saffer' friends tell us if the 'Book of Life' is still used in SA? though I am not in favour of a UK identity card, when resident in SA in the 1970's I thought the Book of Life was a useful document. was an identity document but contained things like, marriage, driving and firearms licences etc.
I think we all have "a book of life" these days. It’s called iPhone. It has a lot more information about you than your ID card.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:50 pm

Dushan wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:45 pm
Smeagol wrote:
I think we all have "a book of life" these days. It’s called iPhone. It has a lot more information about you than your ID card.
What? Do you mean that they not only have my firearm licence, but they also know about my addiction to titsRus.com? @-) =))

I jest of course! :ymblushing:
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by ian16th » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:13 pm

Smeagol wrote:
We still use ours. Mine fell out of my shirt pocket into the pool and is very dog-eared.

The Driving Licence part has been superseded by a plastic one, and for a while it was used as an ID Card. Then someone worked out that the licence didn't have fore names on it, only initials, and worked some fiddle. So now people allways ask for ID book/card.

There is a new plastic ID card, but doing battle with Home Affairs to get one, isn't worth the hassle.
Cynicism improves with age

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:46 pm

The population of the UK have become "Sheeple".

What a shower of utter pansies.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:35 am

For reasons that I now forget, I once discovered that I had taken my passport out of my briefcase .... as I stood in the immigration queue entering Honolulu ! Fortunately I was in uniform, being operating crew, and the Hofficer accepted my Company ID card along with the Crew Declaration list of names.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:52 am

All this reminds me I have to renew my South African passport which expires in May next year! Sigh, I will pay somebody to stand in the queue at Home Affairs like I did last time and then courier the wretched thing to me. R4500.00 well spent!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ribrash

#68 Post by ribrash » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:03 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:46 pm
The population of the UK have become "Sheeple".

What a shower of utter pansies.
+1

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:22 am

The alternative will be paying for repeated tests - is that what you want/prefer?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:26 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:22 am
The alternative will be paying for repeated tests - is that what you want/prefer?
I suspect that repeated or annual tests are going to be the norm, sadly, Boac. This virus is going to morph and vary, year on year, like the flu! We are likely going to have to enter a yearly, or at best bi-yearly, round of vaccinations.

As for the "sheeple" stuff, although I share Atom's concern about the human rights and libertarian aspects of this passport notion, and the possibility of government overreach, I don't accept the prevailing attitude, amongst some, that the risk of this virus has been overblown, or even more stupid, that it does not exist! Over such people, with respect to this subject anyway, one must simply place the INOP placard, and ignore their directions.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:39 am

This is about the ability to travel, not 'annual' tests.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:39 am
This is about the ability to travel, not 'annual' tests.
I am talking about the whole panoply of potential uses of a so-called vaccine passport of which one is the use of such a control method reference travel. You mentioned repeated tests! These tests may be annual, bi-annual or whatever, but they will, necessarily, be repeated.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by Woody » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 am

Ribrash they’ll be celebrating on the streets avenues of the peninsula if you need one to cross the Mersey :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:56 am

TGG, just thinking about the repeat booster. I think they are talking of starting in September. I wonder if any too Neddys have got fag packets on which to plan for the future.

If they determine a need for an annual 100% adult vaccination programme they will need some seriously planning. If the present rate is 400,000 per day or 12 million per month, it will still take 4 to 5 months every year. To achieve that rate now many teams have been generated and probably diverted from their day jobs. Similarly many facilities have been diverted from their primary purpose. Unless sports halls and so on are permanently diverted then new centres will be needed.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:56 am
TGG, just thinking about the repeat booster. I think they are talking of starting in September. I wonder if any too Neddys have got fag packets on which to plan for the future.

If they determine a need for an annual 100% adult vaccination programme they will need some seriously planning. If the present rate is 400,000 per day or 12 million per month, it will still take 4 to 5 months every year. To achieve that rate now many teams have been generated and probably diverted from their day jobs. Similarly many facilities have been diverted from their primary purpose. Unless sports halls and so on are permanently diverted then new centres will be needed.
Agree with everything you say there PN. Also, if all this is not done, a vaccine passport will be meaningless anyway, as the vaccines one might have had, and certificated as such, may very well not be efficacious against the virus a year or so down the line. It is going to be a huge undertaking, needing to be repeated and logged on a cyclical basis, if it it is likely to succeed, which I don't think it will.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 am

Woody wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 am
Ribrash they’ll be celebrating on the streets avenues of the peninsula if you need one to cross the Mersey :ymdevil:
I thought travel was already restricted.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 am

TGG - at present it looks as if international travel will be restricted for some time to come. Some sort of checking will be required by countries. It appears that either a test before and after such will be needed for unvaccinated people. I cannot see an argument against a 'passport' which would remove such.

Also, unlike you, I do NOT see the need in the future for 'repeated' or 'annual' tests once the vaccination programme has been successful. Tests for suspected infection yes.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:01 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 am
TGG - at present it looks as if international travel will be restricted for some time to come. Some sort of checking will be required by countries. It appears that either a test before and after such will be needed for unvaccinated people. I cannot see an argument against a 'passport' which would remove such.

Also, unlike you, I do NOT see the need in the future for 'repeated' or 'annual' tests once the vaccination programme has been successful. Tests for suspected infection yes.
Agree with you in blue. We disagree on the latter, as you say. Your latter view is predicated on a vaccination being efficacious for life, or at least a very long time. That is very unlikely with a Corona virus.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#79 Post by izod tester » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:10 am

International travel is not necessarily just air travel. International sea travel longer than 14 days in transit should mean that you may not need a vaccination certificate.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:13 am

izod tester wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:10 am
International travel is not necessarily just air travel. International sea travel longer than 14 days in transit should mean that you may not need a vaccination certificate.
+1
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."