Vaccination 'Passports'.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Vaccination 'Passports'.

#1 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:14 am

Now that everyone seems to lost their heads, and are clearly content to not only accept, but to actively support a massive loss of their own freedom....I guess we shouldn't be surprised that some are clamouring for further restrictions.

How can any sensible soul wish for all of us to have to prove we've had the vaccine?

While I certainly think it's a great idea to have the jab, it's surely a dire loss if you have to prove it before getting a job, taking a flight etc.

It's all a bit too close to 'Revalations' to me. You know, the number. The mark without which you cannot trade....

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Vaccination 'Passports'.

#2 Post by Wodrick » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:35 am

I don't see the problem, you have to prove Yellow Fever inoculation for travel to many places, have done for years, what's the difference.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:37 am

AK, I think it a brilliant idea, we vaccinated oldies can go into a Wetherspoons without having to force a way through drunken millenials intent on shouting above the hubub.

Just joking, only saw a Wetherspoons after I moved here 3 years ago and would never enter it.

Imagine, party of 4, Doris has mislaid her passport. Doris hadn't got a passport and Doris is bursting for a pee and Doris says they can only use the facilities if they have tea and cake.

Woders true.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:10 am

I see it as the way forward. As Wodders says; No certificate, no entry to country. In fact this would also negate people even getting on the aircraft or even into departures. Not 100% sure of pubs and restaurants but I wouldn't oppose it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:29 am

Wodrick wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:35 am
I don't see the problem, you have to prove Yellow Fever inoculation for travel to many places, have done for years, what's the difference.
The difference is that you don't get yellow fever by travelling to London or New York. It is a disease prevalent in a few countries, so it is sensible to be vaccinated when travelling to or through those countries. Also you can easily access vaccination all over the world.

In this Covid situation we are talking about a pandemic so you can catch it at home or abroad. Very few countries have access to enough vaccines to vaccinate their whole populations. Very few countries have even been able to vaccinate a single person and many countries have no hope of vaccinating their whole populations until 2014.

So people like ourselves are in the situation where we MAY be vaccinated by the end of this year, but I'm not confident enough to book flights to Greece next year. So while the Northern hemisphere vaccinates. issues vaccine passports and everyone holidays in the summer sun, there are a heck a lot of people who are going to remain stuck where they are. Also, there is the danger of travel inequalities arising in that British people will be able to freely fly into ZA but if anyone from down here who has not had access to a vaccine has to spend 11 nights in a LHR hotel.

To be honest, I feel that it is a mistake to to let people travel around like they did last year in Europe regardless of whether they have been vaccinated or not.

However, as Ex-Ascot just said it is the way forward, but IMO in the long term not the short term. There needs to be more even and widespread vaccination across the Globe first.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 am

I think comparing a sensible policy, like that in place for yellow fever, with needing a Covid passport before being allowed into the cinema, is ludicrous.

The point is, that if this crazy idea is put in place, you can be sure that it will grow like Topsy, and before you know it you wont be able to do anything without one.

I confess to being utterly amazed at how desperate people are to discard their own freedom.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:01 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:35 am
+1
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:28 pm

Freedom is new.

Only since mass tourism has it been assumed as a right to travel wherever you want when ever you want. Being in the EU for 45 years has reinforced this concept of freedom, no money controls, freedom of movement, travel where you want.

That is a freedom removed last month though Covid has enforced that since last year. We just have to get used to new freedoms.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:32 pm

Senior daughter has to produce proof of innoculation when she's going off to certain countries. She doesn't have any issues with that. It really is no big deal but I suppose some woke, 'uman rights gob-shite has to try and make something out of nothing.

There was quite a discussion on BBC Question Time last night about the possible introduction of 'No jab, No job' workplace policies, especially in the health and social care sector. I think it's worth merit, bearing in mind the disastrous impact this virus has had in that sector the past 12 months. However, the Lib Dem (Layla MoronMoran) and the appalling Labour rep (Nadia Wittombe) were both against it - I think because a Tory had made the suggestion.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:38 pm

A young woman in food service job (approved for vaccine in her locale) was fired because she refused vaccination on the grounds that she was preggers or trying to get that way on. She refused on the grounds that the vaccine had not been approved for those in that condition.

Couple traveling to Hawaii tried to bribe agents to let them pass without required proof of negative covid test.

As with bogus internet "maskless passes" it will only a matter of time until there are fake vaccine passports and fake negative covid tests results.

PP

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by Dushan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:36 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:28 pm
Freedom is new.

Only since mass tourism has it been assumed as a right to travel wherever you want when ever you want. Being in the EU for 45 years has reinforced this concept of freedom, no money controls, freedom of movement, travel where you want.

That is a freedom removed last month though Covid has enforced that since last year. We just have to get used to new freedoms.
"new freedoms" sounds suspiciously same as "newspeak". 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual, but sadly people are forgetting that.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:02 pm

It's truly AMAZING how desperate people are to divest themselves of hard won rights and freedom.

It truly is astonishing- to me anyway.

Never before has that old quotation been so relevant. "Those prepared to give up freedom for a little security, deserve neither freedom or security"

Spot on Dushan.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:02 pm
It's truly AMAZING how desperate people are to divest themselves of hard won rights and freedom.

It truly is astonishing- to me anyway.

Never before has that old quotation been so relevant. "Those prepared to give up freedom for a little security, deserve neither freedom or security"

Spot on Dushan.
Imagine being stuck in a lifeboat with you and Dushan in the middle of the Atlantic, Atom! Oh how the time would simply fly by discussing Covid etc.! =)) ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:28 pm

Currently about to start isolation for 14 days with my better half and her mom (who is booked for surgery in 15 days time). No going out for a walk even. Food delivered to the door etc. to limit the chances of infection as far as possible. Her mom has had her first vacination, but so what, I think her mom is worth it.

We have just come off a call to Australia, talking to my better half's step sister in Oz. She was telling us how tight the lockdown there is. States closed off and her and her better half getting trapped in one state while on holiday due to 2 cases in the town they were staying in.

Australian deaths +- 909 (Australia has a pop +- 1/3 that of UK)

UK deaths 110,000 plus...

USA deaths 496,000 plus

Go figure...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:41 pm

She was telling us how tight the lockdown there is. States closed off and her and her other half getting trapped in one state while on holiday due to 2 cases in the town they were staying in.
Fixed it for you.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:49 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:41 pm
She was telling us how tight the lockdown there is. States closed off and her and her other half getting trapped in one state while on holiday due to 2 cases in the town they were staying in.
Fixed it for you.
Thank you. ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by 1DC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Always pi$$ed me off when I arrived into Humberside from Amsterdam and the Dutchman in front of me held up his I.D. card to immigration and kept on walking whilst I, the Brit, had to stop and show my passport. The sooner we have I.D. cards the better..

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:13 pm

1DC wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:37 pm
Always pi$$ed me off when I arrived into Humberside from Amsterdam and the Dutchman in front of me held up his I.D. card to immigration and kept on walking whilst I, the Brit, had to stop and show my passport. The sooner we have I.D. cards the better..
Isn't it true that a passport is not an ID document?

It is a Travel Document.

As a UK born, UK parented, UK citizen, do I need a passport to travel to UK?
Cynicism improves with age

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:23 pm

You need the 'travel document' to prove that you are a Brit with right of entry. It doesn't have to be a passport.

I've entered the UK several times without my passport, just by showing my Seaman's Card. It is proof enough that I'm a Brit.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:26 pm

Here in the US a passport is a form of ID.
Sometimes two forms of government ID required. Birth Certificate, Driver's Licence, Passport, State Issued ID Card are all acceptable.

PP