A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Crisis!!!!

#781 Post by barkingmad » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:16 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:06 pm
S'OK - you are probably just near one of BM's 'UHIs' - it is not really hot.

But I am grateful for your support, if I have read and understood your posts correctly! :YMAPPLAUSE:

But then again, some here might benefit from a thorough reading of that fine seminal tome which I read at the height of the Cold War, in between and possibly during some incredibly long and boring AEW Shackleton sorties seeking Ruskies in the North Sea and North Atlantic;

https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/ ... &r=US&IR=T

“Spanish philosopher George Santayana is credited with the aphorism, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it," while British statesman Winston Churchill wrote, "Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." :-?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

'Follow the Money' as they say!

#782 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:37 am

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#783 Post by barkingmad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:13 am

On reading this my mind was sooh blown I had to retire indoors at my northern kennel to seek a darkened room in which to lay down and recover from the shock;

Antarctic sea-ice at 'mind-blowing' low alarms experts https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66724246

It’s not difficult these days in the UK to attain daytime gloom or darkness as the Climate Emergency throws normal autumn storms at our maritime environment.

But as I sat in the near-darkness contemplating my imminent fate I spotted this item which gave me some hope there might be reason and sanity midst the current well-funded hysteria, whereupon I cheered up;

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/09/19/min ... years-ago/

“We get some kind of weather here almost every day”. =))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#784 Post by OFSO » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Heard on Breakfast TV UK this morning that Spain had its hottest October day ever yesterday with a recorded high of 38°. Curiously there was no mention of this on the news here this morning. I did see 34° on the weather map, however.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#785 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:04 pm

Phoenix has driest monsoon season since weather service began record-keeping in 1895

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/phoen ... ng-in-1895

PHOENIX - After a summer of extreme heat, Arizona’s most populous city is in the record books again. This time Phoenix is notching a record for dry heat.

The National Weather Service said Sunday that the monsoon season this year in the arid Southwest dropped only 0.15 inches (.38 centimeters) of rainfall from June 15 to September 30. That’s the driest since the agency began keeping records in 1895. The previous mark was 0.35 inches in 1924.

The monsoon season normally runs for about three months each year starting in June, when rising temperatures heat the land and shifting winds carry moisture from the eastern Pacific and Gulf of California to the Southwest via summer thunderstorms.

Phoenix’s average rainfall during a monsoon season is 2.43 inches (6.1 centimeters). Arizona gets less than 13 inches (33 centimeters) of average annual rainfall as America’s second driest state behind Nevada, which meteorologists say averages less than 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) of rain per year compared to the national average of about 30 inches (76 centimeters).

Phoenix has hottest, driest monsoon on record
The National Weather Service said that the monsoon season this year in the arid Southwest dropped only 0.15 inches of rainfall from June 15 to September 30. That’s the driest since the agency began keeping records in 1895. The previous mark was 0.35 inches in 1924.

Nevada has struggled with drought conditions since 2020. New Mexico, the fourth-driest state in the U.S. with an average annual rainfall of about 14 inches (35.5 centimeters) per year, also has been affected by the drought in recent years.

Phoenix this summer experienced the hottest July and the second-hottest August. The daily average temperature of 97 F (36.1 C) in June, July and August passed the previous record of 96.7 F (35.9 C) set three years ago.

In July, Phoenix also set a record with a 31-day streak of highs at or above 110 F (43.3 C), creating a health hazard for people whose bodies were unable to cool off sufficiently amid the persistent, relenting heat.

Confirmed heat-associated deaths in Arizona’s most populous county continue to rise in the aftermath of the record summer heat.

Maricopa County public health data shows that as of Sept. 23, there were 295 heat-associated deaths confirmed with a similar number — 298 — still under investigation for causes associated with the heat.
)
The rising numbers are keeping Maricopa on track to set an annual record for heat-associated deaths after a blistering summer, particularly in Phoenix. No other major metropolitan area in the United States has reported such high heat death figures or spends so much time tracking and studying them.

Scientists predict the numbers will only continue to climb as climate change makes heat waves more frequent, intense and enduring.

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#786 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:46 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#787 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:17 pm

Global Warming is almost entirely due to..........low cloud.
low cloud 2.jpg
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.00165.pdf

.and now a word from our sponsor - Captain Obvious
captain obvious.jpg
captain obvious.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 3782 times
I expect Greta will pivot to an all-out attack on The Evil That Is Stratocumulus imminently :D

The real crime, of course, is that the IPCC didn't allow for the Bleedin' Obvious

p.s. CNBC just shut down its Climate Change Desk.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#788 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:03 pm

..and there was me saying just a month ago it would take 30 years to rebuild the UK's nuclear power capability - Rishi The Magnificent reckons it will only take 27!
Draft versions of a new “nuclear roadmap” circulating in Whitehall suggest Claire Coutinho, the Energy Secretary, will next month commit to building a minimum of 16 gigawatts of capacity by 2050, The Telegraph understands.
Under Boris Johnson, as prime minister, the Government promised up to 24 gigawatts of capacity by the middle of the century.

It is also understood the roadmap will not include an interim target for 2035, despite this being a key recommendation of a net zero review published in January.

The lower target is thought to follow private warnings from some parts of industry that Britain lacks the required workforce and supply chains to deliver reactors at the pace needed to reach the 24-gigawatt goal.
So, that's a one third reduction in the target in only 18 months.

And there is no interim target because it will take till 2035 just to train enough teachers who can then train enough engineers to start planning it.
And only if the government drastically changes its recruitment policies and subject materials and exams for Maths and Physics teachers.
Which it isn't doing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... climbdown/

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#789 Post by Dushan » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:45 pm

But they’ll have all the diversity and inclusion studies covered which is far more important.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#790 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:25 pm

Saskatchewan has just stopped collecting the Canadian Federal Carbon Tax.

It was a central part of the Federal Government's legal argument for the tax that it would be applied evenly and fairly.
Last month, the Federal Government exempted home heating oil from the tax.
This is the most polluting form of home heating, and is widely used in Atlantic Canada but not elsewhere.
The Liberal Government holds almost all the ridings in Atlantic Canada*, and being poorer than the rest of the country, Maritimers are feeling the costs of inflation more than anywhere else.
The exemption is universally believed, but not admitted to by Trudy, to have been at the behest of Atlantic Liberal MPs desperate to hang on to their seats in Parliament.
It's worth noting that when the PEI Premier switched the province to the Harmonised Sales Tax (without a mandate to do so), the Province was denied the requested right to keep lower taxes on home heating oil by the Feds on precisely the argument that it was the most polluting form of home heating.

Alberta is reported to be considering a similar move to avoid the Federal Carbon Tax. However, all Provincial Premiers are in agreement that the Carbon Tax must be applied fairly.
In practice, Atlantic Premiers would like the Carbon Tax removed from all forms of heating, but there are practical difficulties since, for example, electricity use isn't differentiateable between heating and other uses.
By ceasing collecting the tax at source, Sask. is removing it from all forms of energy use, not just heating.

*and does not hold a single seat west of the middle of the country(!)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#791 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:09 am

A good basic physics piece on why hurricanes are getting less energetic, and how the climate change crowd try to spin it the other way*.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/article/t ... =ZeroHedge

* "spin it the other way" The Phrase Formerly Known As "Lying"

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#792 Post by Dushan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:40 pm

Oh, I thought you meant spin hurricanes the other way. I think that would be called a cyclone. But just as an aside, if they wanted to spin it the other way, they somehow think that they can control the climate, how many tax Dollars are needed?
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#793 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:26 pm

How much do you earn and have saved?
Send it!
Nice house, bet that's worth something.