Climate Crisis!!!!

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Limitless knowledge

#521 Post by Boac » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:04 am

I believe BM's knowledge of climatology is at least as good as that of all his other disciplines.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Crisis!!!!

#522 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:40 pm

The usual rubbish.
Headline claims what the body of the article doesn't. What used to be called "sexed up", though goodness only knows how many special interest groups I've just offended.
Body of article offers no scientific connection between claim and consequence.

PS Storm chips!

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#523 Post by Woody » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:23 am

I didn’t actually read the article, but you did ask :))

Mind you it’s getting really cold now
Temperatures in Elk Park, Montana, dropped to -50F (-45C), while the town of Hell, Michigan, has frozen over.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#524 Post by OFSO » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:20 am

A mass of new predictions for/against Climate Change heralds an imminent burst of heat/cold/nothing different. Be prepared for high temperatures/low temperatures/more of the same/more dying of Covid vaccinations. (Sub: please check this last...)

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Limitless knowledge

#525 Post by barkingmad » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:09 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:04 am
I believe BM's knowledge of climatology is at least as good as that of all his other disciplines.
I'm afraid I have to disappoint you re my lack of a PhD in Climate Warming/Damage/Crisis theory and practice.

But a well-known US president way back in the Plasticine age let the cat outa the bag as we see here;

For those who can't /won't watch videos and to expand on the idea, here is a expanded script of the dreams that "he who controls the weather controls the World";

https://skepticalscience.com/LBJ-climate-1965.html

One hopes that any geoengineering which may have been exercised has not contributed to the current difficulties and destruction being encountered in the USA over the Christmas period?

Otherwise "hoist with your own petard" may be the result... :-w

As things literary are being excised from history by 'woke', here is the alleged source of the 'petard' quote;

https://interestingliterature.com/2020/ ... s-meaning/ :-\

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#526 Post by Boac » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:28 pm

Quod erat demonstrandum?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#527 Post by barkingmad » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:05 pm

"As previously reported" (that old phrase commonly used in aircraft tech logs when the message appeared to have failed), here we are again with the UK Met Office, ably assisted by the BBC and other MSM, trying to whip up fear of Climate Warming/Crisis/Doom as we watch other parts of the Norn Hemisphere behaving like an industrial freezer.

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/12/30/que ... on-record/

From the article;

"There is no more curious placing of a measuring device than half way down the runway of a military airbase that houses two squadrons of Typhoon fighter jets. The Met Office tells us that one of the weather extremes of 2022 was a high of 40.3oC on July 19th. Regular readers will recall that we have questioned this ‘record’ at RAF Coningsby, since the temperature held for only 60 seconds at 3.12pm and was preceded by a 0.6oC jump in the previous two minutes. By 3.13pm the temperature had fallen back to 39.7oC. The Met Office first explained that the sudden rise could have been due to cloud cover, but a satellite photo shows clear skies across Lincolnshire at that moment. The Daily Sceptic has since established that at least two Typhoon jets were operating at the base at the time. The Met Office has ignored all our subsequent questions about the claim.

The Coningsby incident is indicative of possible urban heat corruption over much of the Met Office surface temperature database. Airport sitings are common with temperature highs often reported at Heathrow and nearby RAF Northolt. Temperature recordings at airports are an easy source of data, since accurate measurements alongside runways are required for safe aircraft movements. But similar temperature corruptions are also to be found in towns and cities"

I seem to recall highlighting this example of "climate" erroneous data in recent times but not a lot of comment nor opposition was evident, risking the awful possibility that I was right, which will really upset some here? :)) =))

And in this article, scroll down to the Germany weather presentation and spot the deliberate mishteak;

https://igorchudov.substack.com/p/funny ... -if-global :-? [-X

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#528 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:12 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:05 pm
"As previously reported" (an old phrase commonly used in aircraft tech logs when the message appeared to have failed), here we are again with the UK Met Office, ably assisted by the BBC and other MSM, trying to whip up fear of Climate Warming/Crisis/Doom as we watch other parts of the Norn Hemisphere behaving like an industrial freezer.

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/12/30/que ... on-record/

From the article;

"There is no more curious placing of a measuring device than half way down the runway of a military airbase that houses two squadrons of Typhoon fighter jets. The Met Office tells us that one of the weather extremes of 2022 was a high of 40.3oC on July 19th. Regular readers will recall that we have questioned this ‘record’ at RAF Coningsby, since the temperature held for only 60 seconds at 3.12pm and was preceded by a 0.6oC jump in the previous two minutes. By 3.13pm the temperature had fallen back to 39.7oC. The Met Office first explained that the sudden rise could have been due to cloud cover, but a satellite photo shows clear skies across Lincolnshire at that moment. The Daily Sceptic has since established that at least two Typhoon jets were operating at the base at the time. The Met Office has ignored all our subsequent questions about the claim.

The Coningsby incident is indicative of possible urban heat corruption over much of the Met Office surface temperature database. Airport sitings are common with temperature highs often reported at Heathrow and nearby RAF Northolt. Temperature recordings at airports are an easy source of data, since accurate measurements alongside runways are required for safe aircraft movements. But similar temperature corruptions are also to be found in towns and cities"

I seem to recall highlighting this example of "climate" erroneous data in recent times but not a lot of comment nor opposition was evident, risking the awful possibility that I was right, which will really upset some here? :)) =))
The comment about the freezer highlights a basic misunderstanding between weather and climate, with climate change likely to result in extreme weather events! Surely our resident madman and ex-aviator, knows that?
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#529 Post by barkingmad » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:25 pm

Yes he does, but whether homo erectus is able to reduce such events by driving EVs and freezing in his home due to lack of wiggly amps is open to discussion.

And yes, as a UK resident, I accept responsibility for 1/68,000,000th of the 1% of World emissions which will kill us all due to heat/cold/floods/plagues of locusts etc.

Though Klaus Von Knobschwab and his ilk are looking forwards to reducing us peasants to a diet of locusts and GM grass so that might not be a bad plague, as opposed to the recent one? :))

That's why I've maintained healthy stocks of firewood, smokeless coal and gin, the latter being preferable to a bottle of whiskey, a loaded revolver and a locked study door. :-h

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#530 Post by Boac » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:41 pm

Oh dear- Carruthers is panicking again. Sounds of straw clutching clearly heard.

Firstly the met office at RAF Coningsby is not 'half-way down the runway'. The Stevenson Screen is over 600' away from it.

Secondly https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... er-7871261

Thirdly, a 0.6deg change!!! Heaven help us. We are all going to die!

Fourthly, did Peter sleep through ALL his Met lectures?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#531 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:23 pm

I believe the Stevenson Screen at Coninsgby is here
53.09388392797104, -0.17289640173829787
..and that makes it less than 90 feet from an active taxiway.

The weather records from Coningsby for the date in question are here
https://meteostat.net/en/station/03391? ... 2022-07-19
The wind was a moderate southerly, so there would appear to be a strong possibility that any taxiing jet(s) would have their jetwash moved over the sensors.
And that's not theory. I've spent several years at Coningsby both making the jetwash, and feeling it.

The Met Office claim that Coningsby's records were backed up by many other stations is disingenuous to the argument, as many other stations are also airfields.

The 0.6 degree change is significant not because the rise in itself will have us all dying of hyperthermia tomorrow, but because it is huge relative to the temperature rises being claimed and used to justify AGW claims.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#532 Post by Boac » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:49 pm

and that makes it less than 90 feet from an active taxiway.
So? I too have emitted jet exhaust on many occasions at Coningsby AND I know where the met Office is there (hence the 600'!!), and my point was that the report about the reading being taken 'half-way down the runway' was unmitigated crap, like so much else in their stuff.
The Met Office claim that Coningsby's records were backed up by many other stations is disingenuous to the argument, as many other stations are also airfields.
Rubbish! It should not have escaped your notice (and it didn't) that nearly all UK met reports come from airfields which normally have aircraft using them, so they are the 'norm' - and have been for many years, like it or not. Also, therefore, bear in mind that the previous 'records' were most likely recorded at airfields as well, so any 'new' records are relative. The 0.6 rise is a red herring.

I'm afraid ailingseptics.org is wasting its time on this one.

Out of interest, what is your position on global warming? Do you deny it is happening?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#533 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:30 pm

I would agree that there is a large amount of rubbish published by idiots.
I am not trying to defend them, or challenge your deriding of them.
I am saying that there is ample merit in questioning the validity of the met office records being representative of the country as a whole, due to the placement of many on sites unrepresentative of the country as a whole, like airfields.
Which therefore means my statement is not rubbish. Furthermore, a short term rise at Coningsby is quite possibly due to taxiing aircraft.
My position, which I've stated before is.

Evidence and Physics
The Earth is warming up a bit, how much is uncertain.
Human activity will, everything else being equal, cause the Earth's temperature to rise slightly.

Explanatory factors
This is not surprising on a geological timescale since we have recently been at the second-coldest point in Earth's climatic history.
The major contributor to Earth's energy balance is the Sun, which we do not yet understand sufficiently even to predict the next Solar Cycle within 50% accuracy.
We do not understand climate anywhere near well enough to state "Everything else is equal", or has been compensated for, and thus current global warming has a significant anthropogenic factor.
The models so far put forward by the IPCC do not work, as their predictions have not been borne out by subsequent evidence.
The data are far too inaccurate to allow that the claims the IPCC make are beyond the range of instrument error.
There have been a whole host of papers given credence and publicity by the IPCC/Governments, which have subsequently been shown to be based on false data, dishonest assumptions, and invalid conclusions, for anything they produce not to be questioned.
Governments are being very unscientific in both refusing to improve the quality of data being gathered, or to provide sufficient funds to investigate the possibility that Anthropogenic Global Warming is wrong. Quantum mechanics was primarily supported by a very thorough (20 year) attempt by a Nobel Prize winner to try to prove it wrong, and failing.

In short, the Earth IS warming up, but we can't say that humans are a major cause because we don't understand the other factors well enough, and the data's too inaccurate anyway.
Could humans be the cause? Yes, but we don't know that and aren't improving the science to prove that.

And from the political point of view, if global warming really is caused by humans, then the actions being taken are largely very poorly thought out, and so full of contradictions, that it is quite reasonable to suppose there may be other reasons why the actions are happening. And whilst there are, and always will be, a large number of idiot conspiracy theorists, that does not mean that everyone who does question governments' action IS a conspiracy theorist. One must listen to the arguments and evidence presented. The idiots can be dismissed very quickly.
I find the official and media use of terms like "Climate Change Deniers" to be insultingly biased. They know very well that 'Climate Change' is not the issue, but that 'Significantly human-caused climate change' is. They are not "simplifying" the terms to aid clarity, but the opposite, in order to suppress dissent.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#534 Post by barkingmad » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Thank you F3! +10 at least. :-bd :YMAPPLAUSE:

Once again I despair but resist the temptation to retire to the locked study with a loaded tumbler of gin when I observe the lack of critical thinking and questioning of the official and MSM narratives.

I would have thought by now, following the lies and deception by the so-called scientists, medics and politicians on the topic of the 'plague, that more in this shrinking forum would have acquired a healthy scepticism and be on the qui vive for Project Fear Mk2?

But alas, 'tis not to be, unless potential O-N sceptics are keeping their heads down for fear of upsetting our forum guvvment or wary of expressing such doubts, having observed the pile-ons which are heaped on those who ask awkward questions and who challenge the "narrative"... :-w

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#535 Post by Boac » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:03 pm

I am saying that there is ample merit in questioning the validity of the met office records being representative of the country as a whole
Who exactly is claiming that? As you well know, the ONLY reference we have to the temperature of the UK is the Met office readings. These are not the 'temperature of the UK' but all we have. What else can you produce? Obviously any 'dramatic' rise or fall in temperature from a newly positioned monitor must be noted but should not be panicked about.

Thank you for the fulsome explanation of climate matters, but I only asked if you accepted global warming. =))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#536 Post by Boac » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:08 pm

BM - what on earth is "our forum guvvment" - whatever that word means?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#537 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:20 pm

Forgive me BOAC, but I thought it important to clarify that I accept "global warming", but I do not accept anthropogenic global warming, and the former term incorrectly replaces the latter so often as to cause huge confusion.

The IPCC, and the UK Government, are claiming that met office records are representative of the UK.
There would need to be a wholesale increase in the number of met office monitoring sites, positioned in places which accurately represent a cross-section of UK geography and land use.
This would be both expensive to set up and service, and largely invalidate existing data for climate change purposes. Both reasons for why it isn't happening.
So, we stick with sites just outside offices with met personnel, which often means airfields.
Whilst this is administratively and financially convenient, and of course serves the original purpose of providing met data to aviation people, it isn't scientific for climate change purposes AT ALL.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#538 Post by Boac » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:03 pm

Forgive me BOAC, but I thought it important to clarify that I accept "global warming", but I do not accept anthropogenic global warming, and the former term incorrectly replaces the latter so often as to cause huge confusion.
Understood. I am neutral on anthropogenic global warming, but do believe we should contaminate our atmosphere less than we do.
it isn't scientific for climate change purposes AT ALL.
Of course not, but what else do we have? What would you suggest? NASA observations? Sea temperatures? Polar ice?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#539 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:33 pm

I find cats to be a good indication of global warming, if only during the winter months. Firstly for temperature, one examines the lushness, depth, and thickness of the coats which cats grow during the winter months. (This year both in Spain and in Southern England very cold weather is indicated). Secondly how many of the cats I see on my regular nightly walks are out and about, correlate to both short-term wind and precipitation. Generally by observing, and where permitted, stroking, one can obtain a good idea of a concatenation of weather and climate changes, although I admit the system is not purrfect.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#540 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:39 pm

As I said, we need to set up a system we CAN use for climate.
Until then, then yes we need to work off all the reasonably accurate and precise sources you mention.
Which together are insufficient to show global warming is human-induced.

As for energy-saving and reducing emissions, I and many other "climate change deniers" have been doing that for decades - my last house, designed and built by me, uses 40% less energy than similar government-approved ones nearby, but for about the same cost.
My current house has been improved to increase energy efficiency by about the same amount, but none of what I have done is what the government does or recommends.
If the world's governments really wanted to reduce emissions and increase efficiency, it should be done quite differently to the ways they are doing it. However, all my methods would also reduce government - control, revenue and size - and turkeys don't vote for Christmas.