Climate Crisis!!!!

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Crisis!!!!

#281 Post by FD2 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:23 pm

As John says we're doing the hard yards here and daily life is so miserable, but we'll get through. Jacinda is on the ropes a bit, with some iffy legislation at present, but she can on the whole manage to control her government and inspire her supporters, unlike Boris Bunter who has just probably made a fatal mistake for his party and his leadership. Doh! Anyway rather a 'woke' leader who still has her brain functioning than what the great American system has produced - a lying sociopath last time and a demented president, likewise the speaker and a VP who seems to be a sandwich short of a picnic. But how the lefties were clamouring for anyone but Chump - now look at what they got!

The useless lot sitting opposite Bunter the Oaf in Parliament don't look as though they could organise a piss up in a brewery but if there were an election I expect they would get through on a sympathy vote and as a reaction to Bunter, (plus his 'familiar' NutNuts) and the pathetic handling of the country's problems.

Hayley's one of our gems - from Christchurch as it happens - and sings a great anthem so well. Don't you think?

Not being a highly educated world famous scientist familiar with the science of climatology I can't comment knowledgeably, but some things strike me as being pertinent to us lay persons. There was never going to be a 'consensus' reached and the little twerp from Sweden is quite right in her criticism of the whole COP26 affair, which saw hundreds of private aircraft polluting worse than commercial aircraft, trains etc and their occupants lecturing the great unwashed on how to conduct their lives. I have no idea how well or badly the chap in charge conducted the whole affair because there was little point in watching something which was never going to be any more that jaw jaw and virtue signalling anyway. The elephants, not present in the room, were the great polluters Czar Vladimir the Spoiler and Emperor Xi the Untouchable. Without them onboard there was no hope.

This thread has developed an air of 5th form bullying about it - reminiscent of TOP - and like PN I think I will ignore it from now on.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#282 Post by AtomKraft » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:28 pm

Well FD.
I took your earlier point, and your above is spot on.
That Hayley Westenra is a real charm.
I shall cool it a bit I think.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#283 Post by John Hill » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:50 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:29 pm
Your National Anthem is a Corker, I must admit.
Thank you and while on that subject you do know that the Ozstrine anthem could be improved somewhat....for example
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#284 Post by AtomKraft » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:53 pm

Well, they are the descendants of our minor criminals- perhaps we should expect less.

What's your excuse?

I love that Miss Westenra,

One of the few vids I would never tire of listening to.

Truly and utterly brilliant, gorgeous and a lovely Mum.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#285 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:08 am

I'll just repost, since we are on another page.
This is the best of woman work, the reason we worship girls, and and a lovely look at a great gurl.

Watch this beautiful woman.

What words too?

God of Nations, at thy feet
In the bonds of Love we meet...

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#286 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:46 am

If that don't make the hairs on your neck stand up.....

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#287 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:39 am

These companies are using oceans and rivers to generate electricity

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/11/tech/tid ... index.html

(CNN Business)As the world looks to curb climate change and reduce fossil fuel emissions, some companies are focusing on a relatively untapped but vast and abundant source of energy — tidal waves.

On opposite sides of the Atlantic, two firms are working to harness ocean currents in different ways to try to generate reliable clean energy.
Off the coast of Scotland, Orbital Marine Power operates what it says is the "most powerful tidal turbine in the world." The turbine is approximately the size of a passenger airplane and even looks similar, with its central platform floating on the water and two wings extending downwards on either side. At the ends of each wing, about 60 feet below the surface, are large rotors whose movement is dictated by the waves.
"The energy itself of tidal streams is familiar to people, it's kinetic energy, so it's not too dissimilar to something like wind," Andrew Scott, Orbital's CEO, told CNN Business. "The bits of technology that generate power look not too different to a wind turbine."
But there are some key differences to wind energy, primarily that waves are far more predictable than winds. The ebb and flow of tides rarely differs significantly and can be timed far more precisely.

Orbital Marine Power's floating turbines off the Scottish coast produce enough energy to power 2,000 homes a year.
"You can predict those motions years and decades [in] advance," Scott said. "But also from a direction perspective, they only really come from two directions and they're almost 180 degrees," he added, unlike wind turbines that must account for wind from several different directions at once.
Tidal waves are also capable of generating more energy than wind, Scott says.
"Seawater is 800 times the density of wind," he said. "So the flow speeds are far slower, but they generate far more energy."
The Orbital turbine, which is connected to the electricity grid in Scotland's Orkney, can produce up to two megawatts — enough to power 2,000 homes a year — according to the company.
Scott acknowledges that the technology isn't fully mainstream yet and some challenges remain including the high cost of the technology, but the reliability and potential of tidal energy could make it a useful tool in the fight against climate change.
"It is becoming increasingly apparent that ... climate change is not going to be solved with one silver bullet," he said.
'Could be 24/7 power'
Around 3,000 miles away from Orbital's turbines, Verdant Power is using similar technology to generate power near Roosevelt Island in New York City's East River. Although not on the market yet, Verdant's turbines set up as part of a pilot project help supply electricity to New York's grid. But rather than float near the surface, they're mounted on a frame that's lowered to the bottom of the river.
"The best way to envision what Verdant Power's technology is, is to think of wind turbines underwater," the company's founder, Trey Taylor, told CNN Business. And river currents tend to provide the same advantages for energy generation as ocean currents, he explained (though the East River is also connected to the Atlantic).
"What's nice about our rivers and systems is that could be 24/7 power," he said. "Not to ding wind or solar, but the wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine. But river currents, depending on the river, could be 24/7."

Verdant Power helps supply electricity to New York City through its turbines at the bottom of the East River.
Over the course of eight months, Verdant has generated enough electricity to power roughly 60 homes — though Taylor says a full-fledged power plant built on its technology could generate enough for 6,000 homes. And by his estimate, the global capacity for tidal energy is enormous.
"The potential for energy is something like 250 gigawatts around the world," he said, which is enough to power 250 million homes for a year. "There's lots of room and we really hope our competitors succeed too, for the sake of the industry."
A costly technology
The biggest obstacle to reaching that goal at the moment is how expensive it is to set up and scale up tidal power systems.
"Generating electricity from ocean waves is not the challenge, the challenge is doing it in a cost-effective way that people are willing to pay for that competes with ... other sources of energy," said Jesse Roberts, Environmental Analysis Lead at the US government-affiliated Sandia National Laboratories. "The added cost of going out into the ocean and deploying in the ocean... that's very expensive to do," he added. According to 2019 figures from the US Department of Energy, the average commercial tidal energy project costs as much as $280 per megawatt hour. Wind energy, by comparison, currently costs roughly $20 per megawatt hour and is "one of the lowest-priced energy sources available today," according to the agency.
When operational, the Orbital turbine's wing blades drop below the surface of the water and generate power from ocean currents.
When operational, the Orbital turbine's wing blades drop below the surface of the water and generate power from ocean currents.
Roberts estimates that tidal energy is two or three decades behind wind energy in terms of adoption and scale.
The costs and challenges of operating underwater are something both Scott and Taylor acknowledge.
"Solar and wind are above ground. It's easy to work with stuff that you can see," Taylor said. "We're underwater, and it's probably easier to get a rocket to the moon than to get these to work underwater."
But the goal of tidal power is not so much to compete with those two energy sources as it is to grow the overall pie.
"The low hanging fruit of solar and wind were quite obvious," Scott said. "But do they have to be the only solution? Is there room for other solutions? I think when the energy source is there, and you can develop technologies that can harness it, then absolutely."

PP

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#288 Post by Dushan » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:17 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:03 am
I have a 20 year old Audi S8- a 4.2 litre. Does that make me green for not forcing construction of a new car, or black for running a thirsty monster?

I also have a 5 litre Sunbeam Tiger- is that green?

Personally, I couldn't give a- and I suggest other readers take the same view.
Same here. A 21-year old BMW 740iL. I claim moral superiority over all the "green" cars as driving the same car for 21 years is a lot more environmentally friendly than getting a new, battery powered one. Just think of the amount of diesel fuel used to mine, ship, manufacture, ship, ship, ship a new battery powered car. My V8 laughs in your face.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#289 Post by Dushan » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:20 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:08 pm
The climate change deniers really are delusional.

Fortunately, the science contradicts their arseholery
Nobody is questioning climate change. By very definition climate is something that changes.
It is the source and the reason that is questioned.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#290 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:11 am

Bloody well said Dushan.
I also burn my own waste, so no landfill.
I suggest other readers do the same.

Living in 2021 is like living in a world populated by little girls.

To these girls, I say, Sucketh my sausage, it's Brighton Rockauge.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#291 Post by John Hill » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:13 am

Climate change is a natural process and ***** happens...........
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#292 Post by llondel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:43 am

Dushan wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:17 pm
AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:03 am
I have a 20 year old Audi S8- a 4.2 litre. Does that make me green for not forcing construction of a new car, or black for running a thirsty monster?

I also have a 5 litre Sunbeam Tiger- is that green?

Personally, I couldn't give a- and I suggest other readers take the same view.
Same here. A 21-year old BMW 740iL. I claim moral superiority over all the "green" cars as driving the same car for 21 years is a lot more environmentally friendly than getting a new, battery powered one. Just think of the amount of diesel fuel used to mine, ship, manufacture, ship, ship, ship a new battery powered car. My V8 laughs in your face.
I do wonder about it though. I have a car that's old enough to vote too, but it manages about 22mpg (US gallons, not proper ones). When we drove home from New York earlier this year we rented a car one way, a smallish VW, and it was doing over 60mpg. At what point is it better for the planet, not to mention my wallet (especially as bits of car start needing to be replaced), to trade in the older vehicle?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#293 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:20 am

Dushan wrote:Same here. A 21-year old BMW 740iL. I claim moral superiority over all the "green" cars as driving the same car for 21 years is a lot more environmentally friendly than getting a new, battery powered one. Just think of the amount of diesel fuel used to mine, ship, manufacture, ship, ship, ship a new battery powered car.
The whole argument on the 'saving' in swapping or not swapping ignores the fact that the new cars are being produced anyway. Any meaningful analysis requires a long time span. Retaining your BMW does not save anything in reality in those terms but does - in time - reduce the environmental damage caused by building the new electric vehicle (by which time your BMW is...............? ).

Overall, I think, a circular argument (as in balls). :))

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#294 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:33 am

Dushan wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:20 pm
Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:08 pm
The climate change deniers really are delusional.

Fortunately, the science contradicts their arseholery
Nobody is questioning climate change. By very definition climate is something that changes.
It is the source and the reason that is questioned.
For ten thousand years global temepratures were more or less stable. Wee natural fluctuations from year to year, but generally flatlining.

Then the industrial revolution kicked in during the 19th century and we started pouring prodigious quantities of CO2 into the atmosphere. That warmed the atmosphere and produced the AGC that we are now faced with.

Attenborough showed a rather good graphic of the correlation in his very brief opening speech at the recent dumCOPf26 shindig in Glescae.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#295 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:07 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:11 am
I also burn my own waste, so no landfill.
AK, the problem is consumer packaging and lack of space.
We used to have one small galvanised dustbin provided by the council with a weekly collection. It sat outside the back door and the bin men would come in, collect and return it.
Its main content was ash from the fire, hot ash which would frequently burn other waste including a small amount of garden waste from the small middle class garden. When it burnt out or rusted the bin men would replace it.
Now we have two large bins. One for recycling and usually full with cardboard and one for non recycling which I take out once a month and usually half empty.
I do not have a green waste bin and try and retain all garden waste on site. Our new patio incorporated the old flags. Others relaid elsewhere. Several tons of earth created new flower beds. 3 large compost bins take all the vegetation.
At our previous home I had 4 x CuM bins with one solely for leaves.
You need space.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#296 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am

AK wrote:I also burn my own waste, so no landfill.
Not the idea at all! Have you absorbed anything about pollution? The idea is to try and recycle as much waste as is possible and not to contribute to 'greenhouse gases'. 0/10

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#297 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:35 am

Fair point bo.

But let me just ask you what percentage of your plastic waste ends up in landfill?
Or being shipped off to China/ Malaysia, Vietnam etc by ship?

Mine is disposed of right here.

Endex.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#298 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:40 am

Llondel.
I guess it depends how much you drive?
If you are doing 30,000 miles a year, it will make more sense to pay up for a car that's cheaper to run. That was me, once.
Now, days go by and the car never moves, the really old one just does a few trips a year.

Anyway, I'm not inclined to join in the eco-lunacy.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#299 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:59 am

But let me just ask you what percentage of your plastic waste ends up in landfill?
Or being shipped off to China/ Malaysia, Vietnam etc by ship?
10/10 for whataboutery. Some sort of recovery?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#300 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:22 pm

It's not 'whataboutery'

I burn my trash, you let someone take it, and you don't care after that what happens to it.

A lot of plastic is seperated out, baled up and sent overseas. A lot goes straight into landfill.

I put mine back where it came from, the sky!