Climate Crisis!!!!

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Crisis!!!!

#601 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:05 am

One of the problems with the Urban Heat Island effect is that the temperatures can rise if urban development continues around it, with no change in the real climate.
That doesn't just mean concrete, but traffic also.
Your point, BOAC, only applies if there's been no change in the surroundings, which is not officially measured.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#602 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:14 am

Of course, and that is why shouting and screaming about his 'UHI' needs far more clarity. EG has taxying traffic at RAF Coningsby increased to generate a higher 'peak' of last year? BM has no idea.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#603 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:23 am

This is true, whereas both of us have taxied at Coningsby, hence our discussion last year.
Personally, I restrict myself to commenting on UHI only if I know the place. Phoenix, AZ, for example has been expanding its urban boundary rapidly for 50 years, hence I discount any rises shown there.

One thing I have always had a problem with, is the climate change crowd never doing the math on problems like UHI, when the recorded results suit their agenda. This is not science.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#604 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:17 pm

Here you can see the 'Urban Heat Island' at RAF Coningsby

Noname.jpg
Noname.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 567 times

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#605 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:43 pm

You will recall we discussed aircraft taxiing, and that the wind that day of the record high would have been blowing taxiway to sensor.
Not to mention that concreted and asphalted surfaces are "a powerful contributor to the UHI" effect, and every RAF base has a lot of that.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9717303201
https://www.forconstructionpros.com/con ... uhi-effect

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#606 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:06 pm

Unfortunately all this 'there is no global warming' guff is just that - guff. All temperature readings need to be looked at 'in the round' and media hype on one high reading should not be reacted to as it has been - natural media headlining.

Apart from one? on here no-one has got over-excited about it. One hopes the saner heads are seriously looking at ways the world needs to adapt to the changing climate. The potential issues of food shortages and significant migration are there.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#607 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:12 pm

Oh, there's global warming all right, almost everyone (including me) agrees with that.
The questions are what's causing it, how much by; and can we and should we do anything about it?
And I have major questions about the IPCC's statements on all of those.
Whilst food shortages and migration may be factors in the medium to distant future, they are most certainly not being significantly affected by climate change now.
There are far bigger factors at work on both those problems than the climate, but politicians don't want to deal with any of them, so climate change gets blamed.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#608 Post by barkingmad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:46 pm

I well remember the Glowball Climate Emergency in 1977 when, just after this eminent scientist forecast the approaching Ice Age, the OAT at sea level by the Moray Firth dropped to MINUS 19* Celsius and the snow remained unmelted down to the high tide line on the beach.

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/04/30/the ... l-warming/

Omigawd was I scared fartless by this temporary weather phenomenon and started hoarding duvets and firewood and home brewing beer, sadly it all came to nowt and I couldn’t even flog my surplus warming equipment stocks as it was way before e-bay and suchlike. :)) =))

Re: the Coningsby (RAF airfield installation that is!) UHI seffect, here’s some info about the siting requirements for observation and recording equipment which may be relevant, paras 1.3 & 1.4 specifically;

www.bom.gov.au/climate/cdo/about/observ ... n_2013.pdf

No apologies for featuring a publication from Oz, but one has to hope that this practice is standardised Worldwide... :-?

Edited to add: “Dead Link”? Try now, the http before the www may have corrupted...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#609 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:23 pm

Dead link.
The standards are not the problem.
The US has standards too.
The problem is that a large number of existing sites don't now meet the standards, and governments aren't doing anything about it.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#610 Post by barkingmad » Wed May 03, 2023 7:39 am

Some more for those of us who believe in the infallible accuracy of the warming evidence whilst ignoring their possible or proven actual measurement inaccuracies;

https://rumble.com/v2eemio-paul-burgess ... for-t.html

If there’s a university grant for it then so be it, follow the money and get that pot of gold at the end of the Climate Emergency rainbow.

AFAIK the planet has warmed up and cooled down for aeons but where there’s money to be made then why let the hard info get in the way of a good manufactured crisis, a k a Project Fear Mik2 as currently updated... ~X(

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#611 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri May 12, 2023 12:57 pm

Speech yesterday by the Federal Reserve Governor.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newseven ... 30511a.htm
Climate change is real, but I do not believe it poses a serious risk to the safety and soundness of large banks or the financial stability of the United States.
That's the opening quote.

So the Fed will not prioritize climate change over other risks.

Which means, if the economic changes associated with "combating" climate change do pose a serious risk to the financial stability of the United States, they will need to be mitigated or stopped.

That's what it definitely says.

And what it really says is, in my opinion, that the economic changes associated with "combating" climate change do pose a serious risk to the financial stability of the United States.
And since there's no way of mitigating them other than slowing the rate of change - which the AGW crowd say is impossible - then at least some of the economic AGW policies will need to be stopped.

In short, the "green", climate change economy doesn't work, and the USA will go bust pursuing it.
Frankly, I think he's too late.
As the Fed have been with everything else.

I think they've known this for quite a while, and this is just butt-covering, which is why the speech has been delivered to a bunch of bankers rather than released with great fanfare to the media.
The Fed will be told to do nothing, but he's said his bit and now can't be blamed when it all goes horribly wrong.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#612 Post by Woody » Fri May 12, 2023 2:06 pm

The only crisis around here is that it’s bloody freezing X(

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#613 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri May 12, 2023 2:19 pm

..and your location is generating close to a world maximum density of CO2!

It's almost as if AGW is all b@ll#cks ;)))

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#614 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri May 12, 2023 2:36 pm

DT reporting today that British Gas are refusing to install heat pumps in unsuitable homes

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... n-exposed/
There are eight million homes in Britain which have solid walls and which, as a result, are hard to bring up to required insulation standards at a reasonable cost. If other companies follow British Gas’ example, the Government will have no hope of achieving its target of retro-fitting 600,000 homes a year with a heat pump by the end of this decade. British Gas has just thrown a very large spanner into the Government’s net zero ambitions.

..Maybe the technology will improve and costs will fall, but British Gas’ intervention this week should sound a warning to the Government – it is never a good idea to set targets before you are sure that technology is sufficiently advanced to allow them to be met.
This is happening right across the western world. Governments are now using legal means to try to force people to do the impossible.
This is not just miscalculation, it's by definition insane.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#615 Post by OFSO » Fri May 12, 2023 3:29 pm

Don't worry, chaps, if your house is cold you can sit in your electric car* and run the heater to keep warm until you realise there isn't a charging point within driving distance.

* Because diesels and petrols are now banned.

Insane? Politicians? Who'd have thought it!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#616 Post by barkingmad » Sat May 13, 2023 8:31 am

Her is a link between Project Fear Mk 1, the ‘virus plandemic’ and Project Fear Mk 2, the moneyspinning academics’ employment opportunities provided by fostering the “Climate Emergency” apocalypse;

https://www.biznews.com/health/2023/04/ ... e-change-4

DO YOU SEE IT YET ? ! ? ~X(

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#617 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat May 13, 2023 10:05 am

That was a succinct and well-argued piece.

One awaits some indication of whether the same techniques will work a third time.

Personally, I have strong doubts. The mass media are moribund, and we reached the point of widespread civil disobedience causing the collapse of government pandemic control measures.
As far as I can see locally, there remains zero public trust in either of them, and zero co-operation with either.

And I do mean zero. No one I know in Canada still gets a national newspaper, or reads one online, and my local CBC website has zero comments on any article, and hasn't had for a while.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#618 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat May 13, 2023 11:56 am

Odd you should say that, Fox3, 'cos I know of very few People in my immediate association who don't think that it's all b@ll#cks!

Their general philosophy could be summed up as, and I quote;

" The Climate is always changing and always has done so! This is mainly due to the Earth's orbit around the Sun, Its wobble about its axis and the behavious of the Sun, which itself is always changing! And it all goes in cycles.

And will continue to do so, and there is absolutely nothing we can do to alter that fact!'

Until someone can come up with absolute, irrefutable proof to refute any of the above, I as a general run-of-the-mill Human Being will accept that above philosophy as a given. [-X
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#619 Post by barkingmad » Sun May 14, 2023 8:07 am

From the Daily Torygraph last week;

“Fresh Blow to Net Zero as British Gas Refuses to Install Heat Pumps in Millions of Homes Because They Don’t Work.

British Gas has thrown a large spanner into the Government’s Net Zero ambitions by stating that it will refuse to install heat pumps in millions of homes where they won’t make it warm enough. Ross Clark writes about the intervention in the Telegraph.

British Gas has come out this week and stated what has doubtless been obvious for a long time to some homeowners who did take the plunge: that a standard heat pump runs at water temperatures which are too low to heat many properties. From now on, says the company, it will only agree to install a heat pump if it is convinced that it will succeed in getting the property up to a target temperature on the coldest days. If any of the heat pumps it installs fail this test, it says it will refund the money.

Fair enough, but that will mean millions of homes cannot have a heat pump installed by British Gas. There are eight million homes in Britain which have solid walls and which, as a result, are hard to bring up to required insulation standards at a reasonable cost. If other companies follow British Gas’s example, the Government will have no hope of achieving its target of retro-fitting 600,000 homes a year with a heat pump by the end of this decade. British Gas has just thrown a very large spanner into the Government’s Net Zero ambitions.

I don’t want to sound negative. I would much rather heat my house with an electric heat pump than its existing, smelly oil-fired boiler, and I would have made the switch years ago if I could be convinced it would keep the property warm. But to judge by the experience of many people, the air-source heat pumps being marketed en masse at the moment simply aren’t up to the job. They are an effective way of raising the temperature in your home when you don’t really need it to be heated, but if you live in an old property, and you have no other form of heating, you are likely to find yourself shivering on the coldest days.
Ross concludes that “British Gas’s intervention this week should sound a warning to the Government – it is never a good idea to set targets before you are sure that technology is sufficiently advanced to allow them to be met”.

Elsewhere recently I saw a comment from an installer that UK heat pumps wouldn’t work at below +2* Centigrade, so that bodes ill for the current net-Zero pie in the sky.

I’m glad I had a Jetmaster firebox installed, in my Northern Climes dogkennel, all those years ago before Project Fear Mk2 got up to self sustaining speed... =))

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#620 Post by Dushan » Sun May 14, 2023 8:42 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:19 pm
..and your location is generating close to a world maximum density of CO2!

Oh, you evil, climate change denier, racist, mysogonist, Nazi. How dare you?
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".