Climate Crisis!!!!

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Climate Crisis!!!!

#1 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Started off as 'Global Warming', then 'Climate Change' then the 'Climate Emergency' and now I hear Biden declaring a 'Climate Crisis'.

Well, the tone of the rhetoric is certainly heating up, even if the actual temp isn't.

I call BS on this whole "crisis". A degree or two or three is something we can certainly adapt to, as we have done in the past.

It's all a complete load of bollocks!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Crisis!!!!

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:01 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:58 pm
Started off as 'Global Warming', then 'Climate Change' then the 'Climate Emergency' and now I hear Biden declaring a 'Climate Crisis'.

Well, the tone of the rhetoric is certainly increasing, even if the actual temp isn't keeping up.

I call BS on this whole "crisis". A degree or two or three is something we can certainly adapt to, as we have done in the past.

It's all a complete load of bollocks!
What about antibiotic resistance, do you sit and fret about the worldwide concern about that too Atom? :) Do you think that is bollocks too or is your view totally Panglossian with respect to all perceived threats to humanity?
Well, the tone of the rhetoric is certainly heating up, even if the actual temp isn't.
You get into an aircraft, and know you have insufficient lubricant to complete the flight safely, but you reassure yourself during the power checks that the temp is high but still within tolerance and decide to take off. When did the does the crisis start? When you decide to ignore the lack of oil, when you ignore the first high temp indication on the ground, when you take off, when you get the high temp RED warning in flight, or when the engine seizes in flight, or when you hit the ground and disassemble?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:09 pm

It is not the temperature per se, but the wild swings in the weather, ie. Texas and other states right now. Additional and more severe tropical storms in addition to prolonged droughts also factors in.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:33 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:09 pm
It is not the temperature per se, but the wild swings in the weather, ie. Texas and other states right now. Additional and more severe tropical storms in addition to prolonged droughts also factors in.

PP
+1

The bleaching and slow death of the Great Barrier Reef... etc. etc.

You have to be blind, or an idiot, not to see the warning lights, and I know that Atom is neither.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:38 pm

No Gob.
You get into the aircraft, start the engines and do the flight.

Nothing happens.

AGW might be 0.8 of a degree in the last 100 years.

This is like mass hysteria, probably kicked off by the end of the last proper crisis, ie the end of the Cold War.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:46 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:38 pm
No Gob.
You get into the aircraft, start the engines and do the flight.

Nothing happens.

AGW might be 0.8 of a degree in the last 100 years.

This is like mass hysteria, probably kicked off by the end of the last proper crisis, ie the end of the Cold War.
Ah, so you are a Panglossian man!

I am talking about using empirical evidence to judge risk. If all indications are good and the aircraft checks out, and you are up to snuff etc. etc. then you go for sure, otherwise you think and do a rational risk assessment!

They say before an engine fails, it whispers to you. The world is whispering to us.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:12 pm

Gob.
No, it isn't. We are whispering to each other.....
There is absolutely nothing happening other than the normal, gentle, natural variations in weather and climate.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:53 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:12 pm
Gob.
No, it isn't. We are whispering to each other.....
There is absolutely nothing happening other than the normal, gentle, natural variations in weather and climate.
Atom, I will not have anyone whisper against you my friend, nor me! Neither of us are "willo the wisps". Suggest we argue this over a bottle of Grappa, together, in the sun in happier times! :-bd

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:02 pm

Excellent idea Gob.👊

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:04 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:02 pm
Excellent idea Gob.👊
Amen brother! :-bd
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:11 pm

I am not a pilot so I can't continue the metaphor but my understanding is that before we must seriously sacrifice out standard of living (accept a more restraint life style like we currently are doing because of COVID) we can do more to better enjoy life and protect the environment. For instance few years ago I wanted to install a solar water heater - it saves using electricity so less fossil fuel used or it allows electricity to be used for nobler applications like charging electric cars hence less emissions and while I put money in circulation labor and material. However instead of enjoying a tax free installation I had to pay VAT on the heater and on the installation. There are more examples that the environment may be protected while our life style is minimally impacted: the morons running the traffic light systems are unable to provide a green light along major avenues and often a car stops for a few seconds just before the light turn to green.

On the other hand it is still annoying to realize the amount involved in NGO's in the environment section creating a lot of extremely well paid jobs with plenty of perks including a lot of air travel. May I remind Harry and Megan who keep talking about the environment while they are significant users of private jets?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:21 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:11 pm
I am not a pilot so I can't continue the metaphor but my understanding is that before we must seriously sacrifice out standard of living (accept a more restraint life style like we currently are doing because of COVID) we can do more to better enjoy life and protect the environment. For instance few years ago I wanted to install a solar water heater - it saves using electricity so less fossil fuel used or it allows electricity to be used for nobler applications like charging electric cars hence less emissions and while I put money in circulation labor and material. However instead of enjoying a tax free installation I had to pay VAT on the heater and on the installation. There are more examples that the environment may be protected while our life style is minimally impacted: the morons running the traffic light systems are unable to provide a green light along major avenues and often a car stops for a few seconds just before the light turn to green.

On the other hand it is still annoying to realize the amount involved in NGO's in the environment section creating a lot of extremely well paid jobs with plenty of perks including a lot of air travel. May I remind Harry and Megan who keep talking about the environment while they are significant users of private jets?
Join me and Atom, with the Grappa man. Bring some Retsina to cool the weather if you will! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:28 pm

Where is this "Climate Summit" taking place? :-? :YMPARTY:

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:30 pm

How high is it - and has anybody climbed it yet?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:31 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:28 pm
Where is this "Climate Summit" taking place? :-? :YMPARTY:

PP
Quite a while since I have been in the USA. What say you guys? Somewhere warm? :)

Should we arise like that bird from the Ashes? o:-)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:48 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Magnus » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm at a loss to understand how a warmer earth will bring about the sun becoming a red giant. That's not due for about 5bn years. How then are Thunberg, Attenborough et all planning to "save the planet"?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:38 pm

RiS I think I am in agreement. Our Government has made a big year on year green grant scheme. I would like help with Solar Panels but it's not in the scheme. I could get an air source heat pump which is. But my gas bill, which covers hot water and central heating is much less than my electricity bill. My cost benefit, even with the grant, is negative. Not only that, but they would recover 20% of the grant and my contribution.

The scheme costs say £9000. They grant me £5000. I pay £4000. They recoup £1800 in VAT. Their contribution net is £3200. But assume the fitters are paid £500, the Government creams off £100.

Pah.

OK, we have extreme climate events with changes observed by the minute that they compare with climate measured over decades and centuries.

The 1940s must have been one of the most potentially modifying period with massive war material production, consumption and waste. Ships sunk, cities levelled, petrol products consumed, yet the late 1940s saw extremely low temperatures.

Air travel in the 80s together with car usage saw massive oil consumption but are tempature rises only due to this increased industrial pollution? What about the Sun activity?

I could go on

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:47 pm

PN, thanks for seeing my point and furthermore such schemes oblige fitters to issue invoices thus paying taxes rather than get paid under the table.

And if the theories are correct the reduced aviation traffic and economic activities should lead to colder years ahead.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:55 pm

RiS, are you saying that all this jet traffic stopped direct radiation but stopped trapping radiation from the Earth. Oh coolesth fellow, wash your mouth out with recycled from a recycled glass bottle.

🤓