A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Dushan
Capt
Capt

Re: Climate Crisis!!!!

#21 Post by Dushan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:02 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:09 pm
It is not the temperature per se, but the wild swings in the weather, ie. Texas and other states right now. Additional and more severe tropical storms in addition to prolonged droughts also factors in.

PP
Yet another climate alarmist "explanation" of what the "real" problem is.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:10 pm

Just a reminder, it is February. 5th May 1966 arrived at Offutt AFB in Nebraska. The temperature as a strength sapping 90 deg. A day or so later we had lots of snow and temperatures well below freezing . A polar low reached well into the US.

Weather extremes are not new and what are essentially short term changes are mere blips over hundreds of years.

In the year I did my OU degree our course book cited two pictures of the 'vanishing' snows of Mt Kilimanjaro a number of years apart. Unfortunately for the author who I met later that summer NASA had issued a correction as they were taken at different times of the year with the lower snow cover when the sun was over the equator.

Another illustration, taken from space, purported to illustrate urban heat island effect at Atlanta. Unfortunately for the author, the images were taken at night from an aircraft at 32,000ft. It was an IR image with vegetation showing dark and heat sources such as buildings being yellow. Several very dark areas were not vegetation however but relatively cold shopping malls with aircon still on.

Then the elephant, or may be snake, was this broad bright orange band winding through. It was the Chattahoochee.

Nature is infinitely more powerful and self regulating than our minimal efforts. Perhaps where we really mess up is with medical science.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by Dushan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:16 pm

Yes, jet stream "walks" up and down all the time. Where I am it typically moves 100 km in either direction in a 7-10 day cycle. We can have a beautiful spring day 22°C on day and -10°C two days later with 30cm of snow. It’s been like this for ever. Temperature swings are normal.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:24 am

While we await the release of the new study on Climate Change (doubtless pure state controlled propaganda), surely it is about time we had another round of talking heads about conspiracy theories, 'Great Resets', government control of population, Global Cooling, 1984? Come on guys and girls - it's been a long time since February.

Here's my starter for 11:

Given that large emissions of smoke and dust in history are thought to have caused species' extinction due to climate change, is the increasing prevalence of fires plus the increase in water vapour in the atmosphere likely to be self-regulating?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:40 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:24 am
While we await the release of the new study on Climate Change (doubtless pure state controlled propaganda), surely it is about time we had another round of talking heads about conspiracy theories, 'Great Resets', government control of population, Global Cooling, 1984? Come on guys and girls - it's been a long time since February.

Here's my starter for 11:

Given that large emissions of smoke and dust in history are thought to have caused species' extinction due to climate change, is the increasing prevalence of fires plus the increase in water vapour in the atmosphere likely to be self-regulating?
Dinna ye forget that water vapour is one of the most abundant and effective green house gasses in the atmosphere! And thus I rise like a plump cod to Boac's bait! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:42 am

Thanks, but I am putting all catches back in in the interests of species preservation. :))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:19 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:42 am
Thanks, but I am putting all catches back in in the interests of species preservation. :))
:))

Save the cod, and by God spare the hob and old Nick himself, from the Goblin!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by boing » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:37 pm

Four recent headlines in Google News.
Climate change: IPCC report is 'code red for humanity'
Earth is warming faster than previously thought, scientists say, and the window is closing to avoid catastrophic outcomes
This is the do-or-die decade for climate change, world scientists warn
The IPCC report is clear: nothing short of transforming society will avert catastrophe
Does anybody else also shudder when the Guardian mentions "transforming" society?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by barkingmad » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Nice chap who serviced my gas boiler this week pointed out that the mischievous feral ‘yoof’ who inhabit our land will have great fun running around the housing estates full of rattling noisy air-source heat pumps and poking sticks or other items into the fans and delighting in the stalled motors and the resultant damage.

Those politicos who have enthusiastically jumped onto the ‘green’ bandwagon of these devices, which will allegedly solve all our ‘carbon neutral/zero/whatever problems, have forgotten what a miserable winter we have had before and will have again with a soggy cold North Atlantic airmass in the UK.

What does an air-source heat pump look like after it has tried to freeze this atmosphere over a few days in a vain attempt to provide warmth the for the poor suckers gullible enough to fall for the puffery of this climate snake-oil solution?

But by then those very same politicos will be long gone leaving their successors to face the unpleasant music from an even more disillusioned and angry populace who’ve shelled out loadsa dosh in the quest for the holy grail of “zero-carbon”.

Very conveniently these fires and floods, previously unheard of in 20th Century times, are being waved at us just as Project Fear Mk2 (Covid1984) is beginning to lose it’s former *****-scaring effect...

Now, gotta go to the corner shop for some more Kool-Aid, though they’ve had difficulties with deliveries recently due to increased demand.

fin
Capt
Capt

#30 Post by fin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:50 pm

One or two good volcano eruptions can put us back in the ice age. Who gets to keep all the carbon credit extorted money when THAT happens?

Maybe a few non-nuclear assists here and there could do the trick. Indonesia, Hawaii, Iceland, New Zealand. That should cool things down a bit.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:34 pm

That report was the perfect excuse for the BBC's newsreaders to put on their mournful voices.

Looking at the cotoneaster in the my garden, unlike recent years, this year it's absolutely laden with flowers which will turn into berries. When that has happened in the past, brass monkeys needed to wear extra layers of fur over their nether regions. I reckon the forthcoming winter could cast doubt on 'global warming' theories.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#32 Post by Dushan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:08 am

Just pay more taxes to your government and all climate change will cease.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:32 am

Dushan you bring more and more good points. It would be much easier to accept the need to do something if it wasn't just pay more taxes and have your life ruined.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:19 am

#30 Iceland is still in erruption. You Tube has live views.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:49 am

It's just the latest of a never ending string of Boogiemen, designed to keep us in need of governance, by keeping us nice and scared.

Well, it's not working here.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by barkingmad » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:22 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:49 am
It's just the latest of a never ending string of Boogiemen, designed to keep us in need of governance, by keeping us nice and scared.

Well, it's not working here.
Recently my fevered imagination took a rest but then an odd thought clouded what's left of my mind.

Immediately following the relatively short term of aviation grounding post 9/11, especially in the USA, the surface temperatures were recorded at some degrees higher than normal for some time.

Now following the 'bat-flu' restrictions resulting in a longer-term worldwide reduction in air traffic we are back again with shock horror headlines and grim-faced news readers and surprise surprise, vegetation fires and thunderstorms causing flash floods, as they have ever since before Noah laid the keel for the Ark.

Just musing, now I'd better go cut the grass before a friendly lightning strike kicks off a horrendous fire of my lawns and the news teams flood in to cover the event for the climate change reportage to top up this week's Project Fear Mk94 totals. :-w

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:04 pm

It really is a load of utter bollocks.

Here are some undisputed numbers.

CO2 is 0.04% of the atmosphere.
3% of CO2 is anthropgenic
1% of that 3% is the UK

So, knock yourself out Britain, but 1% of 3% of 0.04% is the square root of fcuk-all.

CO2 is plant food. Plant some trees or watch your garden grow a little more- or bankrupt the country. To most folk, an easy choice.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by boing » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:49 pm

In the climate debate everyone is willing to grasp the micro aspects of CO2 production but not the macro ones. World population with its increased deforestation of the planet and the ensuing conversion of vast areas of natural cover into bare concrete and desert is a more important factor to control then emissions. Quantity of emissions is directly related to population size, as long as the World population increases and this population expects the "all-mod-coms" of electricity and transportation emissions will increase.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:14 pm

Actually boing..

There is no debate- the science is settled. %-( %-(

To gainsay AGW these days is like denying the Holocaust.

But a quick cross examining reveals the horrific truth: NONE of the "believers" know anything about the subject.

Make of that what you will.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#40 Post by prospector » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:39 am

o:-) The fact that the population is growing at an ever accelerating rate, is to me the biggest cause of global warming. As has previously been posted the reasons why are perfectly obvious. What will cause much outrage probably, is my view that the European countries have for the most part accepted that fact, and the birth rates are falling, and some of the more educated Asian countries the same is happening. But, instead of giving financial aid to the so called developing countries, even those that were in the state of being nearly developed, the birth rate is such that the overflow has to illegally, try to get to the educated countries, and overpopulate them again.

I would like to put forward the suggestion that all aid given should be in some form of birth control, something that is not to hard to comprehend by the recipients. o:-)