Climate Crisis!!!!

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Crisis!!!!

#361 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:51 am

Pinky.
They must run out of superlatives soon....

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#362 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:29 pm

John
FFS!
Of course I know a period of any unusual weather, hot or cold, doesn't prove AGW.

But if it gets consistently colder, its going to be harder for the AGW loonies to push their mad agenda.

I know it's warming ever so gently, although certainly not as much as it was twenty years ago- the warming has actually almost stopped for the last 15-20 years- shouldn't it have kept rising at the same rate, given CO2 emissions have continued?

My point is that fears of what's going to happen are greatly exaggerated- maybe on purpose to encourage reductions in pollution, or to increase efficiency in good ways, but exaggerated they most certainly are.

There are young people who think everyone's going to die. That pussy Monbiot was actually bubbling on GMB the other morning.

It's all happening very slowly, there's no need to panic.

If need be, we can always adapt....you know, like we have been doing for ever.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#363 Post by John Hill » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:18 pm

Here you go! Just for you.........

:YMPARTY:
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#364 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:42 pm

or, alternatively
headuparse.jpg
headuparse.jpg (5.88 KiB) Viewed 661 times

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#365 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:03 pm

And this is you guys.

Smug

Self righteous.

These two blokes, on the other hand, are having a decent look at the debate, and a proper impartial discussion that explains quite a few things about the way both sides look at the issue.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#366 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:15 pm

53 minutes - you are joking!

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#367 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:45 pm

Well, I'm nearly at the end- and found it jolly interesting.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#368 Post by John Hill » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:19 pm

Yawnnnnn!!!!!

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#369 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:46 am

None so blind, as those who will not see.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#370 Post by John Hill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:18 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:46 am
None so blind, as those who will not see.
I do not need to waste most of an hour listening to two prats telling me how clever they are compared to those they do not agree with.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#371 Post by om15 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:02 am

Global warming is causing chaos in the Arctic.
More than two dozen cargo vessels are stuck in Russia’s Arctic ice, waiting for ice-breakers to come to their rescue, after an inaccurate forecast from the country’s Met Office.

Maritime traffic in the Northern Sea Route has been on the rise in recent years as rapidly warming winters reduce ice cover, and Russia invests in its Arctic ports in preparation for a further boom.

But this year several segments of the Northern Sea Route froze up about a fortnight earlier than usual, catching many ships unawares.

Alexei Likhachyov - director general of Russia’s state-owned nuclear energy company Rosatom, which manages the country’s nuclear-power fleet of ice-breakers - said on Monday that the ships included vessels sailing under the flags of Hong Kong and Marshall Islands.

He blamed the Russian Met office for a forecast that failed to predict the early ice, in comments to local media.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#372 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:39 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:15 pm
53 minutes - you are joking!
I tend to agree. I think the opening remarks were on the money. At the end the other confirmed this. I may be better informed but am none the wiser.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#373 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:41 am

om15.
As you know, it's true that isolated events like these don't prove or disprove AGW.
Still 'climate' is just the sum of weather.
The AGW mob jump on any unusual or warmish event as proof that everything's changing- no doubt they'll claim that these ships getting frozen in is also due to climate change.

It's mass hysteria.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#374 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:32 pm

AK, on your last, that should be self evident. It were warm 🔥now it weren't. ❄️

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#375 Post by Dushan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:50 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:33 am
Dushan wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:20 pm
Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:08 pm
The climate change deniers really are delusional.

Fortunately, the science contradicts their arseholery
Nobody is questioning climate change. By very definition climate is something that changes.
It is the source and the reason that is questioned.
For ten thousand years global temepratures were more or less stable. Wee natural fluctuations from year to year, but generally flatlining.

Then the industrial revolution kicked in during the 19th century and we started pouring prodigious quantities of CO2 into the atmosphere. That warmed the atmosphere and produced the AGC that we are now faced with.

Attenborough showed a rather good graphic of the correlation in his very brief opening speech at the recent dumCOPf26 shindig in Glescae.

You don't know what the temperature was ten thousand years ago. We didn't have an accurate thermometer until 200 years ago (no comments from the JH peanut gallery if it was 210 years ago). We don't have records and we didn't have scardy cats fretting over one tenth of a degree and calling it a "climate emergency". The climate changes and it will continue to do so.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#376 Post by Dushan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:56 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:40 am
Llondel.
I guess it depends how much you drive?
If you are doing 30,000 miles a year, it will make more sense to pay up for a car that's cheaper to run. That was me, once.
Now, days go by and the car never moves, the really old one just does a few trips a year.

Anyway, I'm not inclined to join in the eco-lunacy.
Right on. I get 3 weeks per gallon...
Seriously I get 22 MPG (11L/100km) but it is a luxury 4500lb car with a V8 that I drive very little. I used to drive it more and was not prepared to sit in an econobox hours on end and have my teeth fillings loosened on every bump.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#377 Post by Dushan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:01 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:48 pm
AtomKraft wrote:
Llondel.
If you are doing 30,000 miles a year, it will make more sense to pay up for a car that's cheaper to run. That was me, once.
Now, days go by and the car never moves, the really old one just does a few trips a year.

If I was commuting then I'd consider an electric vehicle simply because of other perks, such as getting to use the carpool lanes and not have to sit in traffic jams. I'd probably already have one if it wasn't for the pandemic which means I just have to commute down the stairs. I've probably done more miles in the van for dog shows this year (in the past two months) than in the car. I let my son drive himself to work in that, he gets to pay for the fuel.

Isn't it ironic that cars which do not pollute (at the point of use) are given faster passage in dedicated lanes while ICE cars are forced to stay in stop-and-go traffic. It's all about politics and nothing to do with actual concern for the environment.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#378 Post by llondel » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:07 pm

Dushan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:01 pm
llondel wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:48 pm
AtomKraft wrote:
Llondel.

If I was commuting then I'd consider an electric vehicle simply because of other perks, such as getting to use the carpool lanes and not have to sit in traffic jams. I'd probably already have one if it wasn't for the pandemic which means I just have to commute down the stairs. I've probably done more miles in the van for dog shows this year (in the past two months) than in the car. I let my son drive himself to work in that, he gets to pay for the fuel.

Isn't it ironic that cars which do not pollute (at the point of use) are given faster passage in dedicated lanes while ICE cars are forced to stay in stop-and-go traffic. It's all about politics and nothing to do with actual concern for the environment.
Catch-22 - they want to provide incentives to remove the polluting vehicles from cities (better to dump the pollutants in one place where they're easily filtered) and letting all the ICE drivers see the electric vehicles go past appears to be the way chosen. the other side effect is that as the EV count increases, tax revenue from fuel sales decreases, which is why some places are now looking at how to go to a distance-based charging regime so that all the EV drivers get to contribute too.

Who said governments are capable of rational and joined-up thinking?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#379 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:28 am

Eggs I know, but an EV car in stop go traffic does not pollute. An ICE car in a free flow traffic does not pollute as much as stop start.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#380 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:59 am

What are they going to do if the runway melts?

https://www.capetownetc.com/cape-town/w ... HMOsKZvHQQ
When all else fails, read the instructions.