Meanwhile far away and out of sight in the DPRK..

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Meanwhile far away and out of sight in the DPRK..

#61 Post by John Hill » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:14 am

I heard learned about Aotearoa at school, 1955 or so.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#62 Post by prospector » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:22 am

" I heard learned about Aotearoa at school, 1955 or so."

How much mail from any other country in the world would you have expected to have mail delivered to 'Aotearoa' in the 50's???

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by John Hill » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:28 am

prospector wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:22 am
How much mail from any other country in the world would you have expected to have mail delivered to 'Aotearoa' in the 50's???
We never addressed mail in those days, we just sealed the top of the bottle with hot tar and threw it in the sea.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#64 Post by prospector » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:46 am

Is that the way your correspondence school lessons were despatched?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:19 am

I was born in England, Yorkshire if you want to be racist, tho' raised in Lancashire, and the Wars of the Roses is alive and well between friends, but only in jest, we don't try to re-write history.

I have due respect for any other culture, and have no problem with Maori using their language and place names, but only between themselves, and not to try and force change on other New Zealanders, who are in the majority. I chose to move to New Zealand when retiring after spending 12 years in the tropics for many reasons, but a consideration was the similarity in so many ways with the language and culture that I was familiar with. Had I wanted to move to a foreign environment I had plenty of other choices.

I also have no problem with radio and TV announcers using a Maori greeting, but not first, as they now do. This is the thin end of the wedge, and frequently visiting California - Covid willing ! - I am appalled that when telephoning commercial enterprises, one now " Presses 1 for Spanish, or 2 for English." Nuff said.

I live in New Zealand. End of story.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:29 am

In 1984 I was surprised to hear that announcements on Greyhound buses in CA were made in Castilliano first, then English.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:31 am

... and I got a couple of odd looks when I sat at the rear of the bus.....

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#68 Post by Dushan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Looks like Lil' Kim is getting some help from WHO. I saw some recent pictures of him and it looks like he lost a lot of weight. Maybe it was photoshop, or a double, or the shipments of Ementaler were blocked by the sanctions.

https://thediplomat.com/2021/10/who-st ... rth-korea/

The World Health Organization has started shipping COVID-19 medical supplies into North Korea, a possible sign that Pyongyang is easing one of the world’s strictest pandemic border closures to receive outside help.

WHO said in a weekly monitoring report that it has started the shipment of essential COVID-19 medical supplies through the Chinese port of Dalian for “strategic stockpiling and further dispatch” to North Korea.

Edwin Salvador, WHO’s representative to North Korea, said in an email to the Associated Press Thursday that some items, including emergency health kits and medicine, have reached the North Korean port of Nampo after North Korean authorities allowed the WHO and other U.N. agencies to send supplies that had been stuck in Dalian.

“Consequently, we have been able to transport some of our items by ship to Nampo … (including) emergency health kits, medicines, and medical supplies that would support essential health services at primary health care centers,” Salvador said. “We are informed that WHO items along with supplies sent by other U.N. agencies are currently still under quarantine at the seaport.”

Describing its anti-virus campaign was a matter of “national existence,” North Korea had severely restricted cross-border traffic and trade for the past two years despite the strain on its already crippled economy.

Enjoying this article? Click here to subscribe for full access. Just $5 a month.

U.N. human rights investigators in August asked the North’s government to clarify allegations that it ordered troops to shoot on sight any trespassers who cross its borders in violation of its pandemic closing.

While North Korea has yet to report a single case of COVID-19, outside experts widely doubt it escaped the illness that had touched nearly every other place in the world.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".