New Zealand

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
prospector
Capt
Capt

Re: New Zealand

#261 Post by prospector » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:22 am

Petitions {Taken from Wikipedia}
A petition initiated by David Chester was presented to the parliament on 13 April 2018, requesting legislation to change the name of New Zealand to Aotearoa – New Zealand.[28]

A further petition initiated by Danny Tahau Jobe for a referendum on whether the official name of New Zealand should change to include Aotearoa,[29] received 6,310 signatures.[30] The petition was presented to Parliament by the Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand co-leader Marama Davidson on 1 May 2019.[30]

The petitions were considered together by Parliament's Governance and Administration Select Committee which responded that it acknowledged the significance of the name "Aotearoa" and that it is increasingly being used to refer to New Zealand. The committee also noted that there are references throughout legislation to both "Aotearoa" and "New Zealand" and that while not legislated, the use of bilingual titles throughout Parliament and government agencies is common. The final report stated, "at present we do not consider that a legal name change, or a referendum on the same change, is needed".[28]

In September 2021 the Māori Party started a petition to change the name of New Zealand to Aotearoa.[31] The petition reached 50,000 signatures in two days.[32]

In September 2021, Hobson's Pledge, a lobby group that opposes specific rights for Māori (led by former leader of the New Zealand National Party Don Brash), initiated a petition to eradicate "Aotearoa" from official use. Hobson's Pledge spokespersons Casey Costello and Don Brash called on Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern to publicly affirm that the official name of the country is New Zealand, not Aotearoa New Zealand or Aotearoa. The petition also called on the prime minister to instruct all government departments to use the current official name only. Costello claimed that the name Aotearoa was not "culturally or historically recognised by Māori as the name of our country" while Brash claimed that the name New Zealand was an identity and brand that had been built over the past 180 years.[33] The petition gained over 59,000 signatures by August 2022.[34]

In September 2021, Winston Peters, leader of the New Zealand First Party launched a petition "Keep It New Zealand". Peters called Aotearoa a "name with no historical credibility". As of August 2022 the petition gained over 21,000 signatures.[35]

By early June 2022, the Māori Party's petition to rename New Zealand "Aotearoa" had received over 70,000 signatures. On 2 June, the petition was submitted before Parliament's committee. Party co-leader Rawiri Waititi argued that the proposed name change would recognise New Zealand's indigenous heritage and strengthen its identity as a Pacific country. Waititi objected to the idea of a referendum, claiming it would entrench the "tyranny of the majority." National Party Christopher Luxon stated that renaming New Zealand was a constitutional issue that would require a referendum. Māori Development Minister Willie Jackson expressed concerns that a potential name change would create branding issues for the country's tourism industry.[36]

" Waititi objected to the idea of a referendum, claiming it would entrench the "tyranny of the majority."

What is the definition of Democracy? Is New Zealand a Democracy?

It is not a problem that will be solved easily, not till Jacinda and her "progressives" are gone anyway.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#262 Post by John Hill » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:56 am

Blame Jacinda and get us a Tory government.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#263 Post by G~Man » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:21 am

prospector wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:22 am
It is not a problem that will be solved easily, not till Jacinda and her "progressives" are gone anyway.
Understand that I have zero skin in this game.....and just happened upon this thread/conundrum... My late parents had similar views with respect to a different country.

So I ask, for no reason other than curiosity......

Were you born and raised in New Zealand?
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#264 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:41 am

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
In September 2021, Winston Peters, leader of the New Zealand First Party launched a petition "Keep It New Zealand". Peters called Aotearoa a "name with no historical credibility". As of August 2022 the petition gained over 21,000 signatures.[35]
Prospector - can you send me a link to sign Peters petition, I've tried but only found one source, via Twitter, which I refuse to join, so can't access it. PM me if you don't want to publish here.
Thanks.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#265 Post by prospector » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:09 am

"Were you born and raised in New Zealand?" Affirmative.

Winston petition, I signed it quite some time back, will check to see if it is still running.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#266 Post by Karearea » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:59 pm

... But the globe will probably not return in its current form.

“I am not sure yet if that will come back,” Wright said.

“We will try to do something that is a memory of that. Some of the geography on that globe is colonial. We need to be careful about what we are teaching people.” ...
Canterbury Museum favourites face final days, while others will survive
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#267 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:54 pm

It's great they are incorporating the McDougall gallery as it was sitting there unused. The new atrium looks stunning, but a five year wait? :((

At least there's the Botanics and the new art gallery meantime.

Not sure why they need to be careful about teaching something that was actually 'a thing' in the past but is no more. Maybe worried about 'triggering' some of the nice youngsters that are hanging around the bus station. :ymdevil:

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#268 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:07 pm

Giving New Zealanders' country a name which has three different vowels was cruel.

Most 'em just give up and call it Nyu Zullun.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#269 Post by John Hill » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:13 pm

Maybe you can get those ears syringed on the NHS?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#270 Post by barkingmad » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:52 pm

John Hill wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:13 pm
Ear syringing is old hat and also has potential to damage the eardrums if done wrongly or too enthusiastically.

Much better to opt for microsuction, sometimes available on the high street, as in the village wherein lives our colleague G-CPTN, the only drawback to the procedure is the noise produced by a sub-miniature Dyson wand probing the outer canal.

Cost me £60 for one ear or £80 for both, much quicker than messing around with the UK National Covid Service and joining the 7 million waiting for treatment! :-bd :YMAPPLAUSE:

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#271 Post by Karearea » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:00 pm

Ear syringing is old hat and also has potential to damage the eardrums if done wrongly or too enthusiastically.

Much better to opt for microsuction ...
+1

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#272 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:09 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:07 pm
Giving New Zealanders' country a name which has three different vowels was cruel.

Most 'em just give up and call it Nyu Zullun.
(-| Don't you get tired of repeating the same 'witticism' all the time UP?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#273 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:12 pm

Karearea wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:00 pm

Much better to opt for microsuction ...
+1
Microsuction good, syringing very old fashioned and bad. :-bd

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#274 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:23 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:52 pm
John Hill wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:13 pm

Much better to opt for microsuction, sometimes available on the high street, as in the village wherein lives our colleague G-CPTN, the only drawback to the procedure is the noise produced by a sub-miniature Dyson wand probing the outer canal.

Cost me £60 for one ear or £80 for both, much quicker than messing around with the UK National Covid Service and joining the 7 million waiting for treatment! :-bd :YMAPPLAUSE:
Sounds like there was quite a blockage there bm. ;))) It must have been quite a relief to hear properly again! :D

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#275 Post by barkingmad » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:50 pm

FD2 sez:- "Sounds like there was quite a blockage there bm. ;))) It must have been quite a relief to hear properly again! :D

Louder please, I didn't catch that first time...?

Ah, caught it. Actually my hearing, pre vacuuming, was still remarkably good for an old codger ex-pilot, but the sensation of debris resting against eardrums was driving me even madder! X(

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#276 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:22 pm

What kind of practitioner does microsuction...audiologist? :-?

PP

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#277 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:03 pm

FD2 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:09 pm
Don't you get tired of repeating the same 'witticism' all the time UP?
I'll count the vowel sounds of what you say when I hear you utter them.

One; ...; ......; etc.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#278 Post by Karearea » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:06 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:22 pm
What kind of practitioner does microsuction...audiologist? :-?

PP
An "Ear Health Clinic" in my case.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#279 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:11 pm

Karearea wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:06 pm
An "Ear Health Clinic" in my case.
Three vowels in one test.

Buggah!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#280 Post by Wodrick » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:13 pm

An ENT consultant here. I need doing again.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash