Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: New Zealand

#621 Post by Karearea » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:20 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:50 pm
Many thanks for that.
I used to attend airshows as an amateur photographer (with serious equipment).
Highlights were being soaked by the spray from a Harrier at the Sunderland (International!) airshow held on the seafront at Sunderland - my regular position was perched on the seawall. At high tide the displayline was overhead my position.
When my son asked to accompany me to an airshow (for his 30th birthday treat) I was able to acquire VIP tickets to Farnborough the year that the Vulcan returned. Our seats in the grandstand were alongside the runway at the point where the Vulcan rotated and climbed steeply (and noisily) at which point I was 'overcome' as my son had never experienced what I had become familiar with.

"That's what I've been talking about!"

Did an aircraft actually exceed Mach 1 during your display?
The Lightnings use to arrive from behind the crowds scaring the bejabers with the sonic bangs.

The displays that I attended dated back to Acklington (when Vampires and Meteors were the latest equipment) through Hunters to the Lightnings, F16s and the Su's.

Sadly, displays in the UK seem to be a thing of the past - Sunderland and Farnborough are no more.
Acklington is now a prison (or a young offenders Institution?).

Shoreham ended with a bang!
Don't think there were any sonic booms but on the practice day, Friday, the weather/wind conditions were just right to let the thunder of the F-16s reverberate along the hills and back to the airport in spectacular fashion;
also I loved the feeling of the vibration under my feet and up to my thorax as the aircraft passed by on takeoff.
There will have been some great film taken during the three days as I was surrounded by many with huge cameras.
I don't think I appear in any...
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#622 Post by Karearea » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:46 am

A key rail connection being severed by a washed away pier is "another warning shot" investment is needed in South Island infrastructure, Ashburton Mayor Neil Brown says.
The warning comes after flood waters in South Canterbury washed away a pier from a rail bridge over the Rangitata River yesterday.

A KiwiRail spokesman said the missing pier had resulted in the 610m-long bridge sagging.

Engineers had been unable to take a close physical inspection due to the high water levels and they could not comment on how long it would take to repair the bridge.

"The Rangitata rail bridge is an important part of the rail connection linking Invercargill, Dunedin and Christchurch," the spokesman said.

"About eight freight trains travel across the bridge every weekday, and about five each weekend."

Mr Brown previously called for stronger bridges after the Ashburton Road/Hakatere Bridge was closed due to a debris build-up last year.
Speaking to the Otago Daily Times, he said bridges in the lower half of the South Island, including those running over the Rangitata River, were nearly 90 years old and needed to be reassessed.

The South Island’s infrastructure was ageing and money needed to be spent on it, he said.

"I’m not sure how long it will take to repair that pier that has been washed out. You won’t be able to use the rail bridge until then.

"That has again split the South Island in half for rail."

Some of the bridges were coming up to 100 years old.

"We’ve had with Ashburton a warning shot, we’re doing something about it, and here’s a rail bridge now washed out - here’s another warning shot.

"If we don’t do something ... this infrastructure is going to get washed away when the flows in the river are high."

The KiwiRail spokesman said due to the recent opening of the Fairfield Freight Hub, near Ashburton, it was able to move its rail freight from Ashburton to its Timaru rail terminal via 50km of road — which would keep the freight connection between Invercargill, Dunedin and Christchurch intact.

Port Otago commercial manager Craig Usher said the bridge closure posed "no significant impact" to the port and would probably more impact those in Timaru and rail lines towards Lyttelton.

A Fonterra spokesman said the closed rail bridge would not impact them as no finished goods were being transported by rail on that route.
(BBM)

Article, photo, and brief video at link:

ODT: Sagging bridge ‘warning shot’ work needed

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#623 Post by FD2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 pm

ELECTRIC AIRCRAFT TRIAL ROUTE ACROSS THE COOK STRAIT PROPOSED IN 2026

https://www.thepress.co.nz/nz-news/3502 ... ric-planes

No passengers yet, just a trial with freight between Wellington and Marlborough.

Air New Zealand Electric.png
Air New Zealand Electric.png (182.76 KiB) Viewed 159 times

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#624 Post by Karearea » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:04 pm

Victoria University has postponed a planned debate on freedom of speech after concerns the event could become a platform for hate speech. ...
Radio NZ: Free speech vs hate speech: Victoria University postpones debate after student backlash

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#625 Post by FD2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:36 pm

Maybe it's about time they were all sent home to reflect on what sacrifices have been made, especially in the 20th Century, to enable them to speak freely on any subject.

Some misguided souls left a lot of graffiti around the country and dyed ponds and fountains red on Anzac Day. I hope the police are after them and they appear in court.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#626 Post by Karearea » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 am

Ngāi Tahu Tourism has apologised for operating the Shotover Jet boat service during the Anzac Day service on the famous Edith Cavell Bridge.
Locals complained the performance of Last Post was drowned out by the tourist jet boats on the river below yesterday morning.

Business manager for Tumu Pākihi Shotover Jet Donald Boyer acknowledged the complaints.

"We apologise unreservedly for the disturbance our boats created during [yesterday’s] Anzac ceremony on the Edith Cavell Bridge.

"We are investigating our processes as we believe we should have done better.
"We are deeply disappointed at what has occurred and will ensure we halt operations for future Anzac ceremonies."

Edith Cavell Bridge was named after a British World War 1 nurse who was executed for helping wounded Allied soldiers escape occupied Belgium.

Queenstown Returned and Services Association has been approached for comment.
Photos and article:

ODT: 'Deeply disappointed': Shotover Jet-boat disrupts Anzac ceremonies