A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: New Zealand

#541 Post by Karearea » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:31 am

John Hill wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:15 am
So it really was "I don't care if you catch COVID from me".
Really it was "Covid-19 restrictions and vaccine mandates".
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#542 Post by John Hill » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:07 am

Really? You said "It was about objecting to the vaccines being mandatory, not about whether or not they worked."

Was everyone required to have the vaccination? If not why were only some required to?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#543 Post by Karearea » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:24 am

John Hill wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:07 am
Really? You said "It was about objecting to the vaccines being mandatory, not about whether or not they worked."

Was everyone required to have the vaccination? If not why were only some required to?
John, I can only offer an apology that I have now lost the thread of this discussion. :)

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#544 Post by John Hill » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:10 am

IMHO it was the people who laid siege to the Beehive that have lost the plot!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#545 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:04 am

I'm with John, I'm fully vacc'd, even qualified for a local extra one whilst visiting the USA when travel was allowed again, and still wear a mask in Supermarkets and Cinemas, both here and on USA visits, and have been totally free of Covid, for whatever reason, so far and hope to remain so. 2 local acquantances have died from it, don't want it to be me. I also have 'flu vax. every year.

Just booked Online for an appt. at my local surgery, for a totally unrelated reason, and their website still "recommends" a mask when visiting. Good on 'em.

During my aviation employment I was obliged to maintain a Vaccination Certificate for a variety of then current conditions, Smallpox, Yellow Fever for two, and some now obliterated, and had to renew some of them every 6 months over a period of 30 years travelling the World. Some Countries occasionally wouldn't allow entry without evidence for some conditions, so it's nothing new. I also had to take anti-Malaria medication all the time. Just celebrated my 89th, so the procedure certainly hasn't done me any harm, and might even have unknowingly helped ?

Whilst I do basically believe in Free Speech, Freedom of Choice etc. I have no objection to the way Covid was handled in NZ, desperate condions need desperate measures.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#546 Post by Karearea » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:14 am

I just did an interesting thing: a Vote Compass questionnaire - was quite surprised to find where I really sit in the spectrum of policies, and which party is actually closest to my thoughts, it's not one for which I've ever voted...
I just hope they didn't give too much weight to the "how much does the leader appeal" questions (none of them all that much and some not at all!)
Very interesting.

https://votecompass.tvnz.co.nz/nz2023

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#547 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:23 am

Interesting, more or less reflected my views.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#548 Post by FD2 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:43 pm

Anyone who is willing or able to do something serious about these slobs will get my vote next month: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/brutal-vi ... YFGDLTNDI/

as well as sorting out these youths: https://www.thepress.co.nz/a/nz-news/35 ... five-shops

and the road racing and hooning which has led to this kid being in court for causing death by his driving https://www.thepress.co.nz/a/nz-news/35 ... anded-bail .

What did their parents think they were up to at 4 in the morning I wonder?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:01 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#550 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:02 pm

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#551 Post by Karearea » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:47 pm

^ from https://www.thepress.co.nz/a/nz-news/35 ... five-shops
'High speed on rims': Rampant youths in stolen cars smash their way into five shops
Fast food, sports goods, vapes and liquor: Rampant youth criminals have smashed their way into an array of stores in an overnight wave of youth crime in Christchurch.

In one of the busiest nights in recent history for the city’s police, 10 young people, all in stolen cars, were arrested - while others managed to escape capture.

Four of the youths were arrested after the vehicle they were in was spiked by police. A video posted to social media shows a car fleeing officers with a caption: “High speed on rims”.

In three hours of mayhem, young people smashed their way into at least five businesses, including a vape store, a sports shop, a liquor store and a fast food outlet. The burglaries and ram raids spanned all corners of the city - Sumner, Wigram, Riccarton and Papanui.

Christchurch metro area commander Superintendent Lane Todd said it was “the busiest night we’ve had for a few months”.
Ten youths were caught by officers, and police were “actively trying to locate another group”.

In a statement, a police spokesperson said four youths were taken into custody following a burglary at a store on Wakefield Ave, Sumner about 2am.

Another four youths were taken into custody following a burglary at a fast food store - understood to be Subway - in Wigram about 4.15am.

Police were investigating whether that group was involved in the burglary of a store - understood to be Rebel Sport - in Riccarton about 4.15am.

Separately, two youths were taken into custody after officers saw a stolen car being driven dangerously in Woolston.

The vehicle was found abandoned on McGregors Rd in Bromley about 2.50am the young offenders were caught a short time later.

Police were “following positive lines of enquiry” in relation to two other burglaries in the city overnight – one at a vape store in Redwood at 2.50am, and another at a liquor store in Sydenham at 3am.S

Last month, Stuff revealed how youths were to blame for an unprecedented spike in car thefts in Christchurch.

In July, nearly 600 vehicles were stolen in the city – numbers never before seen by officers who’ve been in the job for decades.

Other parts of the country have experienced significant increases in car thefts in the last 18 months, but police data shows the issue is being most keenly felt in Christchurch.

The crime wave is being fuelled by social media, with many of the youngsters posting videos and photographs of their brazen offending to platforms such as TikTok and Instagram.

Officials throughout the justice system are growing increasingly worried about the threat the troublesome youths pose, not only to themselves, but to innocent members of the public.

At the time, Todd said he believed it was only a matter of time until someone was killed.
The other article wants a subscription from me too but I'll try to find it elsewhere.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#552 Post by Karearea » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:58 pm

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/132957 ... ed-on-bail
Learner driver accused over crash that killed teenager Zara Mitchell remanded on bail

An 18-year-old man who allegedly drove the vehicle that killed Christchurch teenager Zara Mitchell on Sunday after fleeing from police has been remanded on bail in front of a large contingent of family and friends.

Adam Michael Rapson is charged with allegedly driving a vehicle in a manner that was dangerous causing the death of Zara Mitchell, failing to stop when signalled by police, driving a vehicle that had been ordered off the road and driving unaccompanied on a learner licence.

The public gallery was packed with Rapson’s family and friends for the appearance -some embraced each other, while others sobbed quietly.

He was hugged by family before he was called to the stand, and appeared pale and withdrawn and stood silently in a dark suit with his hands behind his back. ...
The crash happened after police were called to a report of illegal street racing activity in Rangiora, just before 4.45am on Sunday, said Canterbury Rural Area Commander Inspector Peter Cooper.

“Police followed an offending vehicle for a short time, but then stopped due to the manner of driving and the urban environment.”

Four people were in the car when it ploughed into a tree, narrowly avoiding hurting the owner of the house they nearly crashed into at McIvor Place – including Zara’s boyfriend, who was in the back. ...
etc etc.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#553 Post by FD2 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:14 am

Thanks Karearea, we’ve been out having fun shopping in the big city. :-s :-o :))

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#554 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:02 am

At least the one who killed his girlfriend was 18, which - I think ? - means that at least he might get a short jail sentence. All the other ones, if caught, will get a talking to and a finger wagged at them in some comedy for a Juvenile Court. NZ Justice system ( Ha Ha ) currently soaking some old bus tickets to give them a slap on the wrist. One could weep.

Have they caught the teenager ( alleged ) who stabbed many at an Auckland bus terminus yesterday, killing one ?

It's getting beyod a joke, and neither of the Chris's, currently hoping to be the next PM, seems to make much of it. Get tough on crime ? Yeah! Right !
How?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#555 Post by FD2 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:43 am

Have they caught the teenager ( alleged ) who stabbed many at an Auckland bus terminus yesterday, killing one ?

Yes - 16 years old boy arrested by police. Not yet referred to Youth Aid. ;)))

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by FD2 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:50 pm

Don't wear red in the Hawera McDonalds or you'll get stabbed and have the sh*t kicked and punched out of you by the local fashion police.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/crime/bla ... PEHUCJJYA/

Hawera Mensa Club.jpg
Hawera Mensa Club.jpg (70.65 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#557 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:14 pm

FD2 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:50 pm
Don't wear red in the Hawera McDonalds or you'll get stabbed and have the sh*t kicked and punched out of you by the local fashion police.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/crime/bla ... PEHUCJJYA/
In lieu of incarceration they should be sentenced to a mass cage match with their red-wearing counterparts. :ymdevil:
A few of those would thin their ranks and maybe slow down the survivors. :-?

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by FD2 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:03 pm

Tourists take offence at local welcoming committee looking sideways at them in Coromandel. Cops not too concerned as tourists have moved on after spending the weekend enjoying the town's facilities. I know I've already posted this but felt like doing it again.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/brutal-vi ... YFGDLTNDI/

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#559 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:54 pm

Not yet referred to Youth Aid.
He doesn't need "Aiding" he needs "Paraiding" before a Judge who locks him away for many years. Bring back the death sentence, an eye for an eye etc. No excuse for hapazardly knifing people at a bus station, I've no interest in the "Troubled childhood" that will doubtless be claimed. Lock 'im up.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#560 Post by FD2 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:13 pm

Unusual means of boarding a stricken yacht by the Republic of Fiji Navy, as reported in the Herald.

Dirigible2.png
Dirigible2.png (284.88 KiB) Viewed 1605 times