New Zealand

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: New Zealand

#381 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 am

I dread to think who might be elected by the caucus to replace her.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#382 Post by prospector » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:02 am

How about Willie Jackson? He knows all about Te Tiriti. Ao Tea Roa,, Land of the long white cloud,, or as is defined by many now, Land of the Wrong White Crowd.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#383 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 am

Very droll prospector :))

Afraid I can't think of any of them that inspires confidence. :-?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#384 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:39 am

But does Luxon, come the election ?

Ardern is smart, this way she'll go down in history as an undefeated Prime Minister. The glory will remain without the stigma of having been defeated.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#385 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:52 am

Some missed or wrong priorities over the last five years mentioned here, but I would still want her to represent the country on the World stage rather than several Boris Johnsons or Nicola Sturgeons.

I can only see Chris Hipkins or perhaps Kiri Allan, as fit to take over until October. Allan may bow out through illness though.

If a week is a long time in politics then nine months is an eternity!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/1310180 ... f-all-that

Jacinda Ardern resigns: What was the point of all that?

OPINION: It was meant to be the most transformational government ever. Now, Jacinda Ardern's Labour government has ended. There was no transformation.

It took courage to resign from a job that is a privilege, and hard to walk away from. She deserves full credit for making the tough call, and extra credit for doing the right thing once she knew her heart was no longer in it.

It's unclear why she made the call now. Polls showing her approval rating steadily dropping can’t have helped. No one enjoys being disliked.

Her reputation internationally will remain high. An undefeated leader who delivered the first majority MMP government sounds a lot better than the leader who lost a third term.

Maybe she will get an international job, though the gossip that she has one lined up is only speculation. The simplest explanation is to take her at her word: She no longer has the energy for it. It's been a hell of a five years and the personal toll must be enormous.

Her accomplishments are well rehearsed.

She handled the shock of the March 15 Christchurch attack, the arrival of a historic pandemic and a volcanic eruption with decisiveness and compassion.

History will show a leader who locked the country down early in 2020 and avoided the rash of Covid deaths that we saw overseas before vaccines were available.

Voters rewarded her government for that with a huge win. We felt that the government didn’t mess it all up, however frustrating the whole thing was.

She picked up the leadership when the Labour Party wasn't ready for government, and single-handedly stormed them into office. Without her, the party was heading for an historic defeat, potentially even coming fourth.

I hosted a group of political strategists who came here to learn lessons about how she won in 2017. No one really found an explanation other than her personality and ability to communicate our values.

For everything accomplished, we must weigh what wasn't.

Child poverty. One of the core issues she stressed in 2017 is, at best, the same as in 2017, even though she told us it was her reason for being in politics. We never saw a compelling idea for fixing it.

The social housing waiting list has grown by the thousands. Families are living in motels for years on end.

She leaves a divided country.

Sixty-four percent of Kiwis, across all ages, believe New Zealanders are more divided than ever. Particularly problematic for the Prime Minister, women feel this more than men.

The priorities of traditional Labour supporters, working people on low incomes, were put lower on the agenda than Three Waters and merging TVNZ and RNZ.

Jacinda Ardern was willing to spend $678 million to subsidise businesses to decarbonise, but says free dental care is an unaffordable dream. The 2020 estimated cost of free dental care was $648 million.

We are a more unequal country than when she was elected.

She ruled out the chance to swap it for a cut in income tax. Her government could have given a tax cut to working people, and paid for it with a fair tax on those making a tax-free income from houses.

A TVNZ poll showed 54% of us now support a tax switch, and slightly higher taxes for those who have already made their wealth.

When challenged on her government's priority list, the PM ‘’refuted’’, and ‘’rejected’’. The irritability was getting worse. It jarred with kindness.

Labour will be at much longer odds to be re-elected now.

The new leader will need to turn the narrative around and reset the agenda. Re-focus and sort out the underperforming public sector, jettison the identity politics, and deliver a greater share of the economy to wage earners.

For now, Chris Hipkins must be the front runner. He is sensible, likeable, tough and capable, and appears the most likely to reimagine Labour.

Transport Minister Michael Wood is thoughtful, but his likely public appeal can be guessed from his media release over summer calling on New Zealanders to have a safe and emissions-free roadie over the holidays. Most people can't afford a new electric vehicle, and don’t want to ride to the camping ground on a bike.

Justice Minister Kiri Allan is a wildcard. She could be a superstar and disrupter with a different life experience, or a maverick who needs a strong leader.

There's an old saying that all political careers end in failure. Both John Key and Jacinda Ardern have looked ahead and bowed out on their own terms.

It’s healthy to walk away.

This could be the chance that Labour didn’t take in opposition to do the work of thinking about what they are there for. Only then will they deserve another go.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#386 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:28 pm

I think a job at the UN would be a good idea. Lots of talking but never tackling any real problems. Clarke could have a go at the fishing in the States - he's a good presenter too.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#387 Post by Karearea » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:58 pm

Reported on October 31, 2022:
... Ardern told co-host Melissa Chan-Green she has no plans to step down.

"I've heard this. This rumour has floated around my entire time five years in Government. I have no plans to change my role as leader, I am not going anywhere. I've said this on the show a number of times," she said.

"Rumours circulate and it's just part of the role but this is not the first time I've had this one and it did come up the last election as well. I am the Labour leader and I have no plans on changing that."
The Prime Minister says she has no plans to quit her job ahead of next year's election

Whatever...
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#388 Post by FD2 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:25 am

If this is the level of vile abuse that this and other countries have descended to, then it's about time the police were able to trace the abusers and no names being withheld . Get rid of politicians at the ballot box, not by murder. Abusers must lose their right to anonymity.

Hipkins has been handed a poisoned chalice. He seems the most capable out of the front bench people. Now the date of the election is in his hands, as it should have been as successor to Ardern.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... illing-one

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#389 Post by FD2 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:40 pm

Let’s see if there’s enough in the tank for something like a UN job.😉

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#390 Post by Karearea » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:48 am

A state of emergency has been declared in Auckland due to severe flooding that has caused people to evacuate their homes.

It was officially declared at 9.54pm.

Meanwhile, Auckland Airport has closed its international terminal check-in due to flooding inside the building.
Radio NZ - Live updates: State of emergency declared as wild weather lashes Auckland, Northland

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#391 Post by FD2 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:18 pm

Auckland Airport this morning. I think some tropical storm drains are going to be needed if La Nina or its mate are going to keep doing this.

Auckland Airport.png
Auckland Airport.png (286.24 KiB) Viewed 626 times

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#392 Post by FD2 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:31 pm

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/auckland- ... SAT7U2FSU/

Thousands of Elton John fans braved the rain to get to the stadium but the concert had to be cancelled. It's possible the rain will move on to deluge Hawkes Bay, yet again.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#393 Post by Karearea » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:23 pm

Yesterday's rainfall at Auckland Airport: 258.0mm

https://www.metservice.com/weather-stat ... 10/manukau

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#394 Post by Karearea » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:42 am

Links to a couple of YouTube videos showing extent and effects of the unprecedented rainfall.
I never imagined I would see water flowing through a bus as it travelled along a street;
nor to see people paddling about inside the Auckland Airport concourse;
but I guess one is never safe from being surprised.

Auckland flooding: Footage shows extent of damage, state of emergency declared - Stuff [2:30]

State of emergency declared for Auckland - NZ Herald [8:13]

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#395 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:40 am

Let’s see if there’s enough in the tank for something like a UN job
FD2; I think that it would be almost a certain bet that in the not-too-distant-future we will read of her accepting some extremely well paid position somewhere. A UN/Ambassadorial posting. Or a position on some obscure Qango etc etc.

Either way, a continuing drain on the NZ Taxpayers. :-q ~X(
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#396 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:02 pm

Emirates And American Airlines Operate 13 And 10-Hour Flights To Nowhere After Auckland Flooding
A severe storm forced Auckland International Airport to close on Friday after the terminal was heavily flooded.

https://simpleflying.com/emirates-ameri ... -flooding/

Due to the flooding at Auckland International Airport (AKL), Emirates and American Airlines had to cancel two long-haul flights departing from Dubai International (DXB) and Dallas Fort Worth International (DFW) and divert these services back home after six hours and a half and five hours in the air, respectively.

Emirates service – a 13-hour flight to nowhere
These flights were the nightmare of many travelers – being onboard a plane for a long, long time and ending up at the same airport where they started their trip. On Friday, Emirates flight EK448 between Dubai and Auckland was about six hours and a half into its journey and flying over the Indian Ocean when it was forced to turn back to Dubai.

Get the latest aviation news straight to your inbox: Sign up for our newsletters today.

The flight, operated by an Airbus A380 registration A6-EVL, departed at 06:57 UTC, according to data from FlightRadar24.com. At around 13:25 UTC, the plane turned back before landing in Dubai at around 19:50 UTC.

Emirates operates daily flights from Dubai to Auckland, offering 3,612 weekly seats onboard the superjumbo Airbus A380.

American Airlines – a ten-hour flight to nowhere
On Thursday, American Airlines was operating flight AA35 between Dallas Fort Worth, and Auckland. The plane, a Boeing 787 Dreamliner registration N839AA, departed at 04:59 UTC in a service that would cover 11,974 kilometers and last around 14 hours and 40 minutes.

Nonetheless, nearly five hours into the flight, and when the aircraft was over the Pacific Ocean, the crew turned back to Dallas. It landed back in DFW at 14:29 UTC. The passengers onboard this four-year-old widebody jetliner spent around ten hours in the aircraft only to disembark back in the United States.

American Airlines operates daily flights from Dallas to Auckland, offering 1,995 weekly seats onboard its Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet.

What happened in Auckland?
Torrential rain has wreaked havoc in Auckland and the upper North Island in New Zealand, triggering a state of emergency in the region. One person has died, and there are flooding, evacuations, and transport chaos, as reported by local media outlets. This forced Auckland Airport to close after floodwaters rose within the airport terminal.

Before closing the airport, an Air New Zealand flight NZ124 operated on a Boeing 777 drifted off to the side of the runway. It damaged several runway lights, but it was unclear if the incident was caused by rainfall.

Auckland International has around 1,265 weekly departure flights, including between 166 and 196 daily services during the weekend. Air New Zealand is the main carrier impacted by the closure of the airport. It operates 930 weekly flights from Auckland.

On social media, Auckland Airport informed that due to the damage, no domestic or international flights will be arriving or departing before noon Saturday, January 28. The photos showing the impact of the flooding are impressive.

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#397 Post by FD2 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:36 pm

Last night it was up to 3 dead and one missing. The 380 and 787 could most probably landed at Christchurch as both use it for scheduled flights but it puts them a long way from their destination and if Auckland had no idea when it would be re-opening it would only benefit those who would be flying on to CHC anyway. Maybe at least they would be in NZ rather than back where they had just departed!

Auckland CEO was proud that here people had repaired to lights that were broken in an hour or so - most probably by an a/c aquaplaning off the runway - but by then the runway was unusable due to rising floodwater. She was tackled on the spot during TV interview by disgruntled pax who had been waiting around the international terminal (the flooded one) without adequate information being given about WTHIH! Telling people what is happening makes the situation a lot more bearable.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/auckland- ... WYV5AUSVA/

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#398 Post by FD2 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:06 pm

Looking around NZ there are lots of airfields and small regional airports but only two civilian ones that could take a 380 or a 787 - AKL and CHC.

There is an RNZAF base Whenuapai at Auckland which takes large military like the C-17 but would be overwhelmed I think by hundreds of folk diverting commercially.

Queenstown, Dunedin, Wellington and maybe Blenheim only usually handle Airbus A320 size a/c.

More on the runway edge lighting - damaged by a 777: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weathe ... nd-waitomo

And the weather: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/131089 ... rth-island

If the warming enthusiasts are right then there will have to be some big storm drains dug PDQ.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#399 Post by FD2 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:12 pm

I hope this link works, it's about the fairest article I've read about Jacinda's fall:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how- ... fd3003a4ff

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Cyclone Gabrielle

#400 Post by Karearea » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:50 pm

“This is a widespread and significant weather event. Significant heavy rain and damaging winds are impacting many parts of northern and central New Zealand. In addition, large waves, storm surges and coastal inundation are affecting exposed eastern coasts of the North Island,”
Cyclone slams North Island; firefighter missing