Shamima Begum

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Shamima Begum

#1 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:47 am

Anyone else see the interview on GMGB this morning? Another young lady who made a stupid decision when little more than a child: however her protestations as an adult that she didn't know or wasn't aware do not ring true. Phone-ins from viewers were not kind: "let her rot in the refugee camp" was typical. Her interview was in the "Andrew" category. A mistake which did nothing to help her plight, as if anything could. Her father returned to Pakistan: are the rest of the family still living on social security in London I wonder.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Shamima Begum

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:12 am

I thought she was a Bangladeshi, figures if the one who fathered her was from Pakistan.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 pm

BBC News giving more airtime to her this lunchtime. She's trying to convey she's full of repentance so she can come back to the UK and no doubt sponge off a state she despises ...she can feckin stay and rot where she is for all I care.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by tango15 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:29 pm

The treacherous bitch should be handed over to the Taliban. They know how to deal with the likes of her.
I just hope our authorities don't cave in on this, citing 'public support'.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:12 am
I thought she was a Bangladeshi, figures if the one who fathered her was from Pakistan.
She's British. Not Pakistani or Bangladeshi.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:04 pm

Dual nationality, or rather was.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by llondel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:03 pm

I'm not convinced she was a dual national, I think that was just a claim by the UK government as a convenient excuse to strip her of UK nationality, otherwise they had no power to prevent her from re-entering the UK (OK, they could have arrested her on entry, but not stopped her coming in).

Did she ever get her appeal to the UK Supreme Court on the matter. I think she should have been allowed that, regardless of outcome, because it would provide clarity on how and when the UK government could do the same to any of its other citizens.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:10 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:03 pm
I'm not convinced she was a dual national, I think that was just a claim by the UK government as a convenient excuse to strip her of UK nationality, otherwise they had no power to prevent her from re-entering the UK (OK, they could have arrested her on entry, but not stopped her coming in).

Did she ever get her appeal to the UK Supreme Court on the matter. I think she should have been allowed that, regardless of outcome, because it would provide clarity on how and when the UK government could do the same to any of its other citizens.
She never had dual nationality. The Bangladeshi government confirmed that.

She's never been charged with committing any crime. That would have involved a jury trial and I don't think the British government would risk such a trial, for the obvious reason.