Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Is England up the creek?

#61 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:11 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:08 pm
Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:15 pm
.......Rumour is P&O 'invited' their employed staff to accept 'new' agency contracts or jump.
A certain helicopter company, no longer in existence, did that to its pilots. Myself and a mate jumped rather than sign. This is an appalling decision by P&O - how can those ships sail safely with a new and untrained crew. Surely you cannot make people redundant and immediately replace them. I thought you could only make someone redundant if his/her job ceased to exist. Clearly that is not the case here.
As always, said in a quiet, dignified, lawful, appropriate and truthful manner!

+1
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by om15 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:19 pm

and pisses on the British worker,
Not at all, I was one for forty nine and a half years, this included being a member of the AUEW for a while. I merely base my observations on my experience gained in half a century of being a mainly manual worker in the UK and abroad.

What do you base you comments on, Guardian articles?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:22 pm

om15 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:19 pm
Not at all, I was one for forty nine and a half years, this included being a member of the AUEW for a while. I merely base my observations on my experience gained in half a century of being a mainly manual worker in the UK and abroad.

You might be very surprised to know what I know about real work!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by om15 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:25 pm

Read about it have you?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:26 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:22 pm
om15 wrote:

om15, I won't or shouldn't get personal, but I must admit, I have grown to doubt your integrity. Your intelligence, and self satisfaction, isn't in doubt!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:27 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:26 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:22 pm
om15 wrote:

om15, I won't shouldn't get personal, but I must admit, I have grown to doubt your integrity. Your intelligence, and self satisfaction, aren't in doubt!
Maybe you are a, simple, useful idiot!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:58 pm

At one point BA threatened the Gatwick short-haul c/crew with just that. It never happened.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:42 pm

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by om15 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:59 am

om15, I won't or shouldn't get personal
You are right you shouldn't. Makes you appear rather strange.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by barkingmad » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:58 am

Some are saying that the P&O workers have been well and truly screwed.

Sherley the name of the parent company, DP, sez it all? X(

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by om15 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:24 pm

The organisation is Dubai based, 40% Russian ownership, ships registered in Cyprus, it is unfortunate but that is the way of the world, those that feel the workers have been treated unjustly may choose not to use the services of P&O in the future, I certainly won't, I'm sure their revenue will drop because of this, again that is the way of the world.
The RMT are notoriously eager to ensure that their members are well paid with top conditions, (TfL), all well and good, but they can't complain if the organisations looks for a cheaper option.

The contract agency staff must be qualified to do the job safely, maybe many of them are British, it is only assumed that they are not, and they may be very happy to do the job, I contracted for quite some and didn't receive sick pay, holiday pay, pension contributions, bonus's, or have job security, but the increase in cash more than compensated for it all, it was a good deal for me. I believe that those laid off can receive their redundancy pay and then sign on as contract crew, they may find themselves much better off financially.

P&O may or may not be within the law, (they probably are), but they have certainly opened a can of worms and invoked serious criticism from all sides,
The UK Government, as well as several MPs and opposition party members, have heavily criticised P&O over how it has handled the announcement.

Now, Mr Farage has joined those rounding on the ferry giant, with the outspoken former MEP raging the move from P&O completely destroys what Brexit is all about.

He wrote on Twitter: "It is disgrace that cheap foreign workers will replace 800 sacked P&O Ferries staff.

"Brexit was about putting our people first."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by barkingmad » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:15 am

The thread title sez it all, and if this is the ‘thinking’ at what used to be a well-respected topwhack redbrick university then it’s no surprise that whoever navigated England/UK up this particular waterway without their paddle ended up “uncertain of their position!

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/04/1 ... ot-racist/

Let us pray that none of these maths graduates end up in science, technology or engineering careers or we will see more money being poured down the drain than ever before.

I wonder will aerospace companies take heed that such applicants have been tutored in “the new maths” and therefore subsequent spacecraft or aircraft may not function as planned? ~X( [-X

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:12 pm

FFS ~X( [-X :-q :(( X(

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:23 pm

om15 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:24 pm
The organisation is Dubai based, 40% Russian ownership, ships registered in Cyprus, it is unfortunate but that is the way of the world, those that feel the workers have been treated unjustly may choose not to use the services of P&O in the future, I certainly won't, I'm sure their revenue will drop because of this, again that is the way of the world.
The RMT are notoriously eager to ensure that their members are well paid with top conditions, (TfL), all well and good, but they can't complain if the organisations looks for a cheaper option.

The contract agency staff must be qualified to do the job safely, maybe many of them are British, it is only assumed that they are not, and they may be very happy to do the job, I contracted for quite some and didn't receive sick pay, holiday pay, pension contributions, bonus's, or have job security, but the increase in cash more than compensated for it all, it was a good deal for me. I believe that those laid off can receive their redundancy pay and then sign on as contract crew, they may find themselves much better off financially.

P&O may or may not be within the law, (they probably are), but they have certainly opened a can of worms and invoked serious criticism from all sides,
The UK Government, as well as several MPs and opposition party members, have heavily criticised P&O over how it has handled the announcement.

Now, Mr Farage has joined those rounding on the ferry giant, with the outspoken former MEP raging the move from P&O completely destroys what Brexit is all about.

He wrote on Twitter: "It is disgrace that cheap foreign workers will replace 800 sacked P&O Ferries staff.

"Brexit was about putting our people first."
Another change of tune here I see. Not so long ago this poster was castigating the British ferry faring matelots for using their union to fight for their jobs against the entirely "reasonable" P&O.

https://www.ops-normal.org/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p329431
P&O is owned by a Dubai based Company, due to severe losses over the past two years they have to restructure their business or go under.
There are no jobs for life, the UK based workers are receiving a pretty good deal ( 2.5 weeks pay per year of service) and have enjoyed good conditions whilst employed by the organisation.
I have had two airlines pop me on the job market with little notice, that is the way of the world, if P&O can get cheaper labour from other parts of the world that is nothing new and I can't see why there should be outrage at this. Possibly if the unions had not pushed for such bountiful terms of service the jobs might still be there.
One assumes that Farage's opportunistic (but nonetheless valid) intervention has caused a 180 degree swing of the mental compass here! Any change of mind that is closer to the best interests of the British matelot is to be be applauded though.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by barkingmad » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:23 pm

Seems as if the answer to the OP is becoming clearer every day;

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by llondel » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:07 pm

And yet when it comes to election time, people still vote the same bunch in.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by barkingmad » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:34 am

llondel wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:07 pm
And yet when it comes to election time, people still vote the same bunch in.
Maybe not, as the next GE in the UK approaches, there are sooh many parties/candidates with far too many on the so-called right-wing side that simpleton UK voters won’t know for whom to vote.

That is if they bother to turn out at all, seeing as how the differences ‘twixt the main 2 showers of sh1te are now almost indistinguishable and the disillusionment of the peasants is reaching new and unscaled heights. ~X(

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:12 pm

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:40 am

The Conservatives have lost the next election already, purely because of the leaders the party chose: Do-nothing Theresa, Buffoon Boris, Hapless Liz, and Timid Riki. Remember, these were considered the best at the time by those who voted for them.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by 1DC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:12 pm

My crystal ball tells me that the next budget will promise us great riches :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: