Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Is England up the creek?

#41 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:23 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:18 pm
He mostly talks shite, but here he largely talks truth:

Looking at that bastard. I must say "We are ****!"

I had the opportunity to cut his ceratoid artery, and I didn't.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:42 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:23 pm
I must say "We are ****!"
I dunno the Dutch for "We are ****!", but we are.

So there we are, ****. We've even got a War Memorial to it in my local market town. ****. Deid.

Seenenough

#43 Post by Seenenough » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:16 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:42 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:23 pm
I must say "We are ****!"
I dunno the Dutch for "We are ****!", but we are.

So there we are, ****. We've even got a War Memorial to it in my local market town. ****. Deid.
I've said it before Plumb,they need you to go in and sort it all out otherwise we are all going to violated.(sal ons almal gefok word)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:21 am

Oh for Christ's sake. With this crap you are the antithesis of "with men like this, we could fight a Frigate".
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:34 am

All P&O ferries confined to port.

The Company's not bust, or so they say.

Methinks the foremasts will be covered in writs very soon.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:47 pm

P&O FERRIES: LATEST NEWS AS SAILINGS SUSPENDED AND ALL UK SEAFARING STAFF SACKED WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT
A spokesperson for the company confirmed that the business is not “sustainable” in its current form.

“In its current state, P&O Ferries is not a viable business,” they said.

“These circumstances have resulted in a very difficult but necessary decision, which was only taken after seriously considering all the available options.

“As part of the process we are starting today, we are providing 800 seafarers with immediate severance notices and will be compensating them for this lack of advance notice with enhanced compensation
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 37991.html

Pride of Hull captain has enough supplies to stay sealed in ferry “as long as it takes”
The captain of a giant P&O ferry was hailed a hero today for drawing up his gangplanks and refusing to allow police or new crewmen to board his vessel in the port of Hull.

The captain of the Pride of Hull, understood to be Eugene Fabier, sealed himself and his crew inside the ferry just hours after P&0 announced mass redundancies.

The ship normally carries a crew of 141 people aboard and is one of the biggest ferries in Europe - makes regular crossings between Hull and the Dutch port of Rotterdam.

Hull’s Labour MP Karl Turner said the captain had taken matters into his own hands and was now operating under maritime law to prevent anyone coming aboard.

He added that those on the ship had enough food supplies to last “as long as it takes” to resolve the dispute.

He said: “I’m told by Gaz Jackson, who is the RMT official who is sitting in on the ship, he’s effectively locked in with the ship and the crew.

“He’s saying the captain is refusing to allow the police to enter the ship. Members have said to me that the vessel has got enough supplies to feed the crew for as long as it takes.

“As far as I understand in maritime law, even though that vessel is in a port, that captain is still entitled under maritime law to refuse any person onto his vessel.”

Mr Turner said added that staff on the ship had been treated with “utter contempt” by P&O, which is owned by Dubai-based logistics giant DP World.

He said: “They’re treating British ratings with utter contempt, and they’re treating the British government with utter contempt as well.”

Earlier today, P&O released a statement saying they would be making a “major company announcement” to ensure the long term viability of their operations.

Their statement read: “To facilitate this announcement all our vessels have been asked to discharge their passengers and cargo and standby for further instructions.

“This means we’re expecting all our ports to experience serious disruption today, so please bear with us and we will give further information in an all-colleague announcement later today.”

Reporting by agencies.
Johnson's trip to discuss life generally with the ragheads has proved worthless in terms of fuel and trade...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:54 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ement.html

Heavies, lack of due process etc. etc...

Welcome to Brexit Britain folks...
Darren Procter, RMT's National Secretary, said the union would be fighting P&O's decision until it was resolved and called on the Government to provide additional support.

'Some people have been working for P&O for 20, 30 years. They've got kids, mortgages. The way P&O has gone about this has been appalling', he told Sky News today.

'You can expect more disruption in Dover, and around the UK, as a consequence of how P&O and their actions and how they have treated their employees today.'

Ministers are 'very concerned' about the unfolding situation, with Transport Secretary Grant Shapps announcing he was holding urgent talks to reduce disruption to the flow of goods between Britain and France. He will deliver an emergency statement at 5pm.

Meanwhile, Labour MPs slammed the company for a 'scandalous misuse of power' and 'absolutely despicable' behaviour.

Shadow Transport Secretary, Louise Haigh, called it a 'betrayal of the workers that kept this country stocked throughout the pandemic'. 'Unscrupulous employers cannot be given free rein to sack their workforce in secure jobs and replace them with agency staff,' she added.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#48 Post by k3k3 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:14 pm

How can P&O claim the crew are being made redundant, only to instantly replace them with cheap labour?

I've used them literally hundreds of times over the years, I even had a season ticket in the eighties, I think I'll look for alternatives in future.

One thing I did notice is at least some of the ships are registered in Cyprus.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:15 pm

I wonder exactly what BoJo promised the Omanis? Rumour is P&O 'invited' their employed staff to accept 'new' agency contracts or jump.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:46 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:15 pm
I wonder exactly what BoJo promised the Omanis? Rumour is P&O 'invited' their employed staff to accept 'new' agency contracts or jump.
The majority of the "agency" staff (or scabs) will be staff brought in from outside Britain. It is totally outrageous!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by barkingmad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:46 pm

Madness!

“LONDON, March 17 (Reuters) – Ferry operator P&O Ferries has made all staff redundant with immediate effect and will use agency workers to sail its ships”

“Security guards with handcuffs are attempting to board ships at Dover to remove crew, the RMT Union has claimed.
General Secretary Mick Lynch said: “We are seeking urgent legal action and are again calling for the government to take action to stop what is fast turning into one of the most shameful acts in the history of British industrial relations.”

“Labour MP Dame Diana Johnson said people in balaclavas are “taking British crew off these ships”, describing P&O’s actions as “shameful”.”

“I understand from the RMT union that these agency staff, mainly from overseas, are in buses on the quayside with a security firm, hired by DP World, wearing balaclavas and taking British crew off these ships.”

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#52 Post by k3k3 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:19 pm

How safe can the operation of these ships be when crewed by agency staff unfamiliar with them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Herald ... Enterprise

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by FD2 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:07 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:19 pm
How safe can the operation of these ships be when crewed by agency staff unfamiliar with them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Herald ... Enterprise
+1

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by om15 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:09 pm

P&O is owned by a Dubai based Company, due to severe losses over the past two years they have to restructure their business or go under.
There are no jobs for life, the UK based workers are receiving a pretty good deal ( 2.5 weeks pay per year of service) and have enjoyed good conditions whilst employed by the organisation.
I have had two airlines pop me on the job market with little notice, that is the way of the world, if P&O can get cheaper labour from other parts of the world that is nothing new and I can't see why there should be outrage at this. Possibly if the unions had not pushed for such bountiful terms of service the jobs might still be there.

As I understand it the redundant crew members will be supported to apply for other jobs within the P&O organization and other carriers and their redundancy package far exceeds the Government requirements. I fail to see why this matter is in any way connected to Brexit, nor do I know of any evidence to suggest that workers from other countries are less competent or able than British people.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by om15 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:13 pm

My Dad used to drive an artic (Curry European of Dumfries) to Europe every week via Hull to Zeebrugge and used the Herald of Free Enterprise many times, he told me that he was not in the least bit surprised at the accident as he often saw (British) crew members the worse for wear with drink.

ribrash

#56 Post by ribrash » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:19 pm

The samething happened at Holyhead a few years back.On a fishing trip to Ireland we noticed that most of the crew were from another country other than Ireland.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:23 pm

Arch Thatcherite Lord Jeffrey Sterling of Zeebrugge must be hugging himself with glee. Cutting corners such as sailing without closing the bow doors made money - until it didn't.

He was contemptuous of the Unionised British seamen and he was contemptuous of ferry passengers, describing them as "lagers louts and lorry drivers smelling of BO".

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:40 pm

We lost one of our secretaries at Zeebrugge. Bad business, utter incompetence.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:52 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:40 pm
We lost one of our secretaries at Zeebrugge. Bad business, utter incompetence.
But om15 impugns the British matelots as drunks. and pisses on the British worker, just like his provocative oleaginous avatar parrot, who plays the markets in every way contrary to the best moral and financial interests of the majority of the English workers, let alone the British nation. I would rather listen to Spode!

Lord grant me patience!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:08 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:15 pm
.......Rumour is P&O 'invited' their employed staff to accept 'new' agency contracts or jump.
A certain helicopter company, no longer in existence, did that to its pilots. Myself and a mate jumped rather than sign. This is an appalling decision by P&O - how can those ships sail safely with a new and untrained crew. Surely you cannot make people redundant and immediately replace them. I thought you could only make someone redundant if his/her job ceased to exist. Clearly that is not the case here.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org