Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
prospector
Capt
Capt

Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#4941 Post by prospector » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:11 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral ... imir_Putin

How anybody can deduce that President Putin is a nasty Dictator starting wars of his own volition just for no reason at all is puzzling.
This war in Ukraine has been planned for many years, for reasons that are very easy to establish, it was warned of in 2008 by Ambassador Burns, American Ambassador to Russia, as has been posted twice in this forum. Looking at the Minsk Agreement and the lack of compliance by Ukraine, as stated by German Chancellor, Angela Merkel is enough proof of that deception.

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-disappoint ... 59136.html

Ukrainska Pravda
December 10, 2022·1 min read
In this article:

Angela Merkel
Angela Merkel
Chancellor of Germany from 2005 to 2021

Vladimir Putin
Vladimir Putin
President of Russia
Vladimir Putin, the President of Russia, has been disappointed by the statement of German ex-Chancellor Angela Merkel, where she claimed that the Minsk agreements of 2014 enabled Ukraine to prepare for the war with Russia.

Source: Putin’s response to a journalist’s question

Quote: "For me, it was completely unexpected. It is disappointing. I did not expect to hear something like that from the ex-Chancellor. I always hoped that the German leadership was genuine.

Yes, she was on Ukraine’s side, supporting it. But nevertheless, I genuinely hoped that German leadership expected a settlement based on the principles achieved, among other things, during the Minsk negotiations."

Details: Putin stated that Merkel’s words meant that he had done "everything right" by starting the war in Ukraine.

Quote: "It appears to me that nobody planned to live up to these Minsk agreements… They [the participants – ed.] lied to us, and the only reason for these processes was to pump Ukraine up with weapons and get it ready for military action. Well, we can see that. Maybe we were too late to realise what was happening. Maybe this [the war – ed.] should have been started earlier."

No doubt some will contend that all these elections are a sham, and all Russians are warmongers.
Possibly if one was in the armed services during the cold war with Soviet Union one would have to be of that mind set in case one was ordered to go and drop bombs on their population.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4942 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:21 am

1, I have heard it suggested perhaps the Pentagon or maybe London, would be a good strategic targets, Tactical targets keep changing. This war would have been over long ago, and many lives would have been saved if these countries did not keep supplying more and more sophisticated weaponry, troop training etc, and yet claim they are not part of the conflict.
2.Never quoted CNN. Many articles are published by RT, but they are written by many people from many walks of life
3 Never met any, or posted video's from .""convinced child sex offenders or racists""
4. The fact Russia has and is still using them does not mean that many nations have not banned them
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventio ... _Munitions
1. Tactical targets such as? How will Russia identify them? Do you know the effective radius of a tactical nuke? Answer the question. There is no internationally recognised Casus Belli for a strike outside Ukraine. Russia would be a smoking ruin as a consequence.
I suggest you do some basic background reading on nuclear war before talking any more about it.
2. You have posted CNN videos. Neither of your points attempts to address my point that they are unreliable sources. Answer the question.
3. Scott Ritter, etc. We went over this. You even tried to dismiss his convictions as a minor thing.
4. Kindly explain the relevance of what other nations not involved in the war have done, then? And none of the USA, Russia, or Ukraine are signatories. Why not actually read the articles before you post them?
Everybody else here does, or explicitly states that they haven't.

You seem to have a very poor memory of your mistakes, and a poorer grasp of weapons, nuclear and otherwise.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#4943 Post by admin2 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:29 am

It would be good if we can calm his thread down a bit. There are inevitably going to be differences of opinion on any conflict but I would like to see a reversion to 'news' rather than opinion.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4944 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:32 am

A point of view which is demonstrably wrong is not an opinion. Neither is a denial of something for which there is evidence to the contrary.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4945 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:00 pm

Or an opinion based on the news.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4946 Post by llondel » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:54 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:25 am
I wonder just if Putin would be crazy enough to use a tactical Nuke.

And if he actually did, then what??
If he wanted to provoke things he'd just let one go somewhere near the front line where there was a lot of Ukrainian troops and equipment. The purpose wouldn't necessarily be to directly impede the advance but to generate political (and nuclear) fallout from the fact that he'd done it.

A single 1kton tactical nuke would challenge NATO to put up or shut up. If Putin thinks he's losing his grip I could see him doing it because he has already hit rock bottom.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4947 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:09 pm

Reports that Helos from Belarus have entered Polish airspace.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4948 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:12 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:09 pm
Reports that Helos from Belarus have entered Polish airspace.
Again, or old new?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4949 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:26 pm

No idea - is there a previous post about it here? This one reported as 1/8

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/08/02/ ... ys-warsaw/

prospector
Capt
Capt

#4950 Post by prospector » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:12 am

I will not be visiting this forum again until the war is over, one way or another, My opinion of some of the statements made just reinforces my belief that anybody that was in the British or American Armed Forces during the cold war with the Soviet Union is so brainwashed with hatred for Russia that nothing factual as to the basic cause of the present day conflict will ever be believed.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#4951 Post by admin2 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:13 am

Prospector - that is, of course, your choice. It should be no surprise to you that on a site founded in the west that the bias is that way? I debated ways of 'knocking heads together' and settled on a caution which is where it is at at present. I would like this thread to be one carrying 'news' and not arguments about tactical nukes or the cause of the Ukraine invasion or whatever.

I welcome diverse backgrounds. You are welcome to post your 'news' if you wish. I think it benefits us all to have opposing sources/allegiances here - we are surely grown-up enough to cope with multiple facets? If we all bear in mind that a large percentage of what we see is propaganda of some sort and treat it as such, I'm sure we can all get along fine.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4952 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:07 pm

During one period of my university course I could appreciate why Communist Russia could see it was the victim. The Allies did their best to suppress the revolution which was perceived as an existential threat to the old European monarchial order.
The Germans, despite disposing on the Kaiser tried again in 1941. Then the Allies having dividing Europe into spheres of influence set up NATO 'To keep the Germans down, Americans in and Soviets out.'
Although the Soviets had placed sleeper spies in the West it was the Americans and British that breached Soviet sovereign territory much more than the other way round.
Before Powers was shot down '
On 1 July 1960, a United States RB-47H reconnaissance plane was shot down by the Soviet Air Defence Forces while performing signals intelligence in the Barents Sea, near the Kola Peninsula'.
The US also flew standing patrols with nuclear armed bombers.
I think a strong case can be made for Soviets being surrounded and threatened.
I also think the Atom Spies allowing Russia to develop nuclear weapons when they did enabled the mutual terror which inhibited any US unilateral nuclear attack.
And yes, the US had considered a premptive strike in 1957.
Not withstanding what I just wrote, I see Russia as a clear scheming adversary.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4953 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:24 am

Wot Pontius Navigator said! :-bd
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#4954 Post by k3k3 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:23 am

Red Joan is an interesting film concerning atomic espionage and the balance of power during the cold war.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#4955 Post by admin2 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:36 am

NOTE: I am considering pruning this thread and moving all 'philosophical'/'historical' posts about conflict with Russia and involving Ukraine etc to a new thread to keep this as a 'news' thread.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4956 Post by Boac » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:46 am

Amazing video of a Ukranian maritime drone striking a Russian warship

This was one of the recent attacks that was successfully 'repelled'. :))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4957 Post by Boac » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:53 am

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4958 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:35 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:46 am
Amazing video of a Ukranian maritime drone striking a Russian warship

This was one of the recent attacks that was successfully 'repelled'. :))
I feel like this video should have "Jaws" music for a soundtrack. :))

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4959 Post by llondel » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:42 pm

With the right sort of tech, a drone streaming live video should be easily detectable, unless it's got a very directional backward-facing antenna on it. Of course, if the Russians are using the same frequency bands then it might get lost in the noise, but a decent electronic warfare configuration should show the emitter quite well.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4960 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:59 pm

IIondel, true, but you would need a full range analyser and probably a team of EW rates. Remember though, this is not an operational warship but an armed LST equipped to add gunfire support in a beach assault. If it has any EW gear it would probably be limited to threat detection at I, J or Ku bands. Moreover they were operating is a rear area otherwise unknown for hostile action.

Remember the Belgrano, also very much slack handed even though they were in a war zone. Uncle Sam's war canoes have also been know for a casual approach to watchkeeping as indeed have the Noggies. I am sure Albert have a few tales of misadventure too.