Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#3481 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:38 pm

The Americans win when the natives of the country are glad they, or their kit, turned up. Otherwise they lose.
The Ukrainians seem pleased to be getting the kit.
The commander of the Ukrainian Armed Forces does not seem like an idiot. I'm sure he knows where tanks are best used.
Nor does Zelenksyi appear to be trying to tell him how to do his job.

Ukraine pulled out of Soledar after they'd killed a lot of Russians and then risked losing lots themselves. I'm sure they'll do the same with Bakhmut if necessary.
The Russians are idiots, and one should not interrupt one's enemy when they are making a mistake.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#3482 Post by prospector » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:28 pm

Not only American kit, Kit from most of the NATO countries . And they are certainly a long way from winning anything in Eastern Ukraine, which according to the Minsk agreement, should have been neutral territory.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3483 Post by boing » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:48 pm

It's hardly neutral when someone invades it or are you saying it is OK to invade to invade Ukraine through Kiev because it is not in one of the "neutral" areas. Remember, Russia invaded Ukraine through Kiev but then changed its mind after the first defeat. It was Russia that moved troops into the so called neutral areas first, not Ukraine.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#3484 Post by prospector » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:15 pm

Depends when you consider this lot started. There was some 14,000 people killed in the Donbass regions after the Minsk agreement was signed, (What a fraud that was, as Angela Merkel has stated openly) the vast majority killed by the Azov battalion. These were for the most part ethnic Russians. Then there was the verbal? agreement years before hand that NATO would cease its Eastward movement. That never happened. What was the American reaction when Russia moved missiles to Cuba? from all accounts a nuclear war was very narrowly avoided. Russia has nuclear weapons, but it would appear they are all based in Russia, where are many American nuclear weapons based, in a number of countries, why would that be? perhaps to get closer to Russia, why? The stupidity of it all can be seen in the world as it is now as compared to the early 1940"s, we were fighting Japan and Germany, and the Russians were on our side, now it has completely changed, and when all this infrastructure is destroyed, human lives are lost, what will it all look like in another decade or two. Who can possibly have won anything.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3485 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:28 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3486 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:42 pm

Half of Russia's airborne troops were casualties by September

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3487 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:44 pm

Russian rear area tactics currently consist of moving all supply, ammo, and personnel bases out of HIMARS range.
If this report turns out to be accurate, their entire logistics will soon be somewhere east of Omsk. =))

p.s I have no idea where Omsk is (PN can probably give us the co-ordinates, SAM defences, and nuke allocation), except that it's archetypally a bloody long way east of Moscow.

https://y.yarn.co/30d17c98-f8be-444c-b7 ... a4a2a9.mp4

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3488 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:57 pm

boing wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:48 pm
It's hardly neutral when someone invades it or are you saying it is OK to invade to invade Ukraine through Kiev because it is not in one of the "neutral" areas. Remember, Russia invaded Ukraine through Kiev but then changed its mind after the first defeat. It was Russia that moved troops into the so called neutral areas first, not Ukraine.

+1

Your logic is indisputable, but some here are unable, or are not minded to see the truth of it. We don't imprison them (or worse) for their opinions, unlike the Russians do for any naysayer. Here some seek to convince them. Some (like me) just despise them!

In the end it is all irrelevant to the bigger picture. May the Ukrainians prevail.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#3489 Post by prospector » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:26 am

" Your logic is indisputable, but some here are unable, or are not minded to see the truth of it. We don't imprison them (or worse) for their opinions, unlike the Russians do for any naysayer. Here some seek to convince them. Some (like me) just despise them!

In the end it is all irrelevant to the bigger picture. May the Ukrainians prevail."

In your opinion, to me it is very disputable, for the reason s given. I only worry about what others think when I consider them capable of thinking.

I seem to remember some months back when I posted an article on this site, and perhaps some video shots, of two American pilots who flew a light aircraft across Russia, an RV8 or some such. They were very appreciative of all the assistance they got from ATC and various flying clubs that encountered on their epic trip.

If my memory serves me right, and for the most part it still does, you made comment on the cooperation from the Russian Aero Clubs etc. And now they are all fools who throw people into jail at the drop of a hat?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3490 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:34 am

prospector wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:26 am
" Your logic is indisputable, but some here are unable, or are not minded to see the truth of it. We don't imprison them (or worse) for their opinions, unlike the Russians do for any naysayer. Here some seek to convince them. Some (like me) just despise them!

In the end it is all irrelevant to the bigger picture. May the Ukrainians prevail."

In your opinion, to me it is very disputable, for the reason s given. I only worry about what others think when I consider them capable of thinking.
You must think, or not, as you will. These things are bigger than both of us.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3491 Post by Boac » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:15 pm

I see the Kerch Bridge is just about ready for another strike. :-bd

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3492 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:56 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:44 pm

p.s I have no idea where Omsk is (PN can probably give us the co-ordinates, SAM defences, and nuke allocation), except that it's archetypally a bloody long way east of Moscow.

https://y.yarn.co/30d17c98-f8be-444c-b7 ... a4a2a9.mp4
Actually not. We had two target sets, the National which involved batting a number of cities, with a nominal legitimate military target and the SACEUR/SIOP which seemed to blatter the IAVPOStrany bases (Air Defence of the Homeland). The forner were for deterrence and the latter seemed to give the B52s a clear run.
The majority of our targets were in the Baltic States, Belarus and Ukraine. From Cyprus they were all in the Stans etc.

Looking at Omsk, Omsk West appears to be a small provincial airport. Omsk East is interesting. Part of the latest imagery on GE, March 22 shows unused revetments and pavement. The July 22 image of the Eastern end is cleaner and the revetments are in use. I counted 13 Colt and one probable Curl.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3493 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:38 pm

Concur with recce.

The Reuters informants seem to think the US will donate GLSDBs (94 mile range) rather than ATACMS.
This fits with restricting the Ukrainians to being unable to hit Russia.
They can hit anywhere in borders of Ukraine from current positions, except central and southern Crimea.
If they can recapture the southern mainland as far as the Sea of Azov, then they can hit anywhere in Crimea (including the Kerch Bridge).
Should be just what they need. Let's hope they get lots!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3494 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:46 pm

80th Anniversary of the Nazi surrender at Stalingrad

95% of senior Nazi officers who surrendered to the Russians survived the PoW camps.
95% of enlisted Germans, who mostly weren't Nazis, died in them.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3495 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:48 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3496 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:53 pm

Last couple of days, the Russians have mostly stopped the human wave attacks around Donetsk, Bakhmut.
It's not because they care about the losses, but simply because they aren't working.
They are now back to shelling everywhere.
Even when they do capture some small "settlement", it's that in name only, because there's barely one brick on top of another, and nobody does or can live there.
But putin has reportedly ordered the Russian army to reach the borders of Donetsk and Luhansk by the end of March, so that's what they'll try to do.
That it will be a total wasteland is not a factor.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3497 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:53 pm

Will be an interesting development if it happens

Switzerland has 100 Leopard 2s in mothballs.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3498 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:57 pm

Looks like Russia is preparing for mass mobilization.
The thread has lots of details.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3499 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:56 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3500 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:34 am

Norway has benefited mightily from increased hydrocarbon revenues as a result of customers opting away from Russia due to the Ukraine war.
The government have just announced they wish to spend more of this booty on aiding Ukraine.
CV90 IFVs seem like the obvious candidate.