Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#3521 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:45 am

Ukrainians claiming over 1,000 Russians killed yesterday, 14 tanks, and 28 IFVs.
For no measurable Russian gains.
Nor are the Russians even claiming any.

This is the RT headline
The Fight for Ugledar: Why controlling a small town in southwestern Donbass is so important for the Russian military
Moscow is hoping it will be third time lucky
I'm not making this up. They've failed twice to take one small town with the second biggest army in the world, and they are relying on luck for a third go.
and 42 AFVs destroyed in a day is the result.

https://www.rt.com/russia/571047-third- ... r-ugledar/

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3522 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:58 am

Delivery schedule unknown - anyone's guess at this stage given previous track record.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3523 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:16 pm

Now that the Russians have basically run out of Death Row convict volunteers, and the regular units are getting a complete kicking in frontal attacks, I think the Russian General Staff are being forced into an all out assault quite soon in order to forestall a general revolt among their troops. When it fails, then we may well be looking at the situation the French were in after Nivelle. The troops on the front line will simply refuse to go forward any more.
I don't think the Russians will collapse when the Ukrainian counter-offensive starts, but I think we will see mass surrenders quite soon after the first major breakthroughs.

However, the weather is such that it is doubtful whether any Ukrainian counter-offensive could make substantial gains across the dodgy terrain. Given the need to reinforce the areas the Russians are now assaulting, and the need to ship loads of experienced soldiers off to rapidly train up on the new Allied equipment that is arriving, I think the Ukrainians will now wait until they have these weapons ready to use before they launch a major counter-offensive.

What does the team think?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3524 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:25 pm

prospector
Capt
Capt

#3525 Post by prospector » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:54 pm

Different view?

And just to help things along, do not change your habits

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/6 ... n-scandals

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3526 Post by Boac » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:56 pm

Good address by Zelensky, but obviously no-one had briefed him as he asked the UK to give him 'combat jets'.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3527 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:12 pm

Yesterday's claims by the Ukrainians,
910 dead, 8 tanks, 15 APCs.
Lots more videos of Russian equipment blowing up. Much of it seems to be on anti-tank mines, followed by drone-directed artillery onto the rest, some of whom then hit more mines in their eagerness to retreat.

Zelenskyi is visiting the UK.
He is being offered "longer range weapons" and advanced pilot training.
I said some time ago that the longer range weapon is likely Storm Shadow, the export version of which has a 150 mile range. The domestic version's range is double that.
Storm Shadow is not integrated with F-16, but likely can be rapidly. It can be fired from both Typhoon and Gripen.
I expect they will get reduced range versions due to pressure from the Americans.
The advanced pilot training may be a cover for conversion training onto Eurofighter. After all, they can't bring their own jets and will therefore need to do said training in Typhoons. Zelenskyi said "thanking all of you in advance for powerful English planes" in his HoP speech.
The training can be highly accelerated for experienced pilots. I wrote and ran the groundschool and simulator portion of the one we did for Italian test pilots and senior pilots prior to their leasing Tornado F3. It only took me 72 hours to write the course. Which was just as well, given I was given 73 hours notice ;)))
Actually, I would be surprised if the OCU staff haven't already outlined a rapid conversion course in their spare time. It will have been obvious for months that this might be coming. They've probably occasionally been asking each other for tea and coffee in Ukrainian for a while anyway, "just for practice" :))
This will be the same in all the other western countries, in case you are wondering how politicians make decisions on Friday afternoons, and there's a party greeting the Ukrainians off a plane on Sunday afternoon for an 8am start to the course on Monday.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3528 Post by Boac » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:18 pm

Problem is, old boy, we haven't got enough Tiffys to give him any! There is not much point training them on Tiffys if they will probably be flying 16s.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3529 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:25 pm

I think we have the Tiffys, it's just that the Treasury won't let the pilots fly them.
This is - and a hush falls over the assembled company for those hallowed words - a different budget. ^:)^

The World's your lobster when it's a different budget.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3530 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:37 pm

Russian training for the Olympics continues. Season's Record 9 seconds in the Turret-Tossing

Vuhledar.
The Russians are claiming any progress because there isn't any

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3531 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:28 pm

Russian former commander and blogger Girkin confirms no significant gains and big losses for Russia in all areas.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3532 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:19 pm

Worth noting that the 150 mile range, air-launch, and 450kgs of explosive, make the Storm Shadow a very handy weapon if there happens to be a Russian bridge you might want to take out. ;)))

And you would not have to fly over Russian-held territory to do it.

However, if you did take certain routings over Russian-occupied land, any SAM systems placed to stop you would then be in HIMARS range. Storm Shadow, and an aircraft to deliver it, are thus a game-changer.
As I said a while back, since Storm Shadow is programmed on the ground, it should not be that hard to adapt it - for war use only, with the consequent increased risk - to be launched from a MiG-29 or similar.

Expect a lot of bluster and testiculation from the Russians in the next couple of days about "Escalation".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3533 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:27 pm

Russian Red Line factories have been put on a 3-shift, 24/7 schedule to produce enough red lines to keep up with the High Command's usage! =))

prospector
Capt
Capt

#3534 Post by prospector » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:12 pm

Is this the same conflict,

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3535 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:18 am

prospector
Capt
Capt

#3536 Post by prospector » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:32 am

Another bit of interesting information, related to, but if eventually proven will be something that will no doubt influence decision makers.

https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/how ... ord-stream

"Biden’s and Nuland’s indiscretion, if that is what it was, might have frustrated some of the planners. But it also created an opportunity. According to the source, some of the senior officials of the CIA determined that blowing up the pipeline “no longer could be considered a covert option because the President just announced that we knew how to do it.”

The plan to blow up Nord Stream 1 and 2 was suddenly downgraded from a covert operation requiring that Congress be informed to one that was deemed as a highly classified intelligence operation with U.S. military support. Under the law, the source explained, “There was no longer a legal requirement to report the operation to Congress. All they had to do now is just do it—but it still had to be secret. The Russians have superlative surveillance of the Baltic Sea.”

The Agency working group members had no direct contact with the White House, and were eager to find out if the President meant what he’d said—that is, if the mission was now a go. The source recalled, “Bill Burns comes back and says, ‘Do it.’”

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3537 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:57 am

Regrettably, (but some may think otherwise) I am unable to copy a photo posted by someone called confusious in the Memes thread on TOP but I thought that fellow Ops-Normal members would have got a laugh (or sick).

I actuallry replied to the post, calling him 'an 'orrible little man,' with a smiley or course, and said 'that which has been seen cannot be unseen.'

You guessed it! Some Mod deleted my post!! :-q

'Ave a look yourself if you wish.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3538 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:35 pm

As I alluded to a couple of days ago, Russia has now officially run out of Death Row idiots - Wagner has stopped its prison recruitment campaign

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... -campaign/

More confirmation of what I was on about here

The death battalion approach will of course have killed Wagner's normal recruitment as well as the prison trawls. Most of their troops will finish their current contracts and b#gger off somewhere quiet; wouldn't you?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3539 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:39 pm

Germany attempts to occupy Ukraine....again! =))

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3540 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:07 pm

My breakfast this morning is corned beef hash and whole wheat toast...

..whereas the Russians have made a complete hash of strategy and their armour is toast! =))