A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#5621 Post by probes » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:50 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:03 pm
Russian authorities have announced the evacuation of up to 9,000 children from the border areas under attack from the Russian insurgents (official reason).
The Russian media and proxies are still maintaining that there aren't any insurgents there.
The insurgents themselves have requested civilians to evacuate.
The children will be evacuated to the oblasts one back from the border, closer to Moscow.
which is really remarkable, as the implication is that putin is unable to protect ruz. The insurgents are highly qualified, too, against the less-so ruz troops or recruits. ruz is reported to have used their favourite tactics of glide bombing on their own villages as well. AND, the Checheny troops on UKR side have made several announcements that have been completely ingored in Chechnya.

ruz plans to use Pantsir for air defence of oil refineries and UKR says it won't work (but it's good as these have to be brought from the front). We'll see.

P.S probably Fox will find the video on how ruz was trying to tug a Leopard (around Terny).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5622 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:40 am

P.S probably Fox will find the video on how ruz was trying to tug a Leopard (around Terny).
Your wish is my command!

https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/112121603772523115

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5623 Post by probes » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:34 pm

Tnx a lot! :)

Now, the Engels airfield. Rumours of at least 2 bombers destroyed?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5624 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:27 pm

More here

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5625 Post by probes » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:37 pm

Tnx! :)
4 blasts were reported, but that's just rumours, too.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5626 Post by tango15 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:39 pm

probes wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:34 pm
Tnx a lot! :)

Now, the Engels airfield. Rumours of at least 2 bombers destroyed?
If they've reached Engels, that will worry a few people in the Kremlin. One of the biggest bases in Russia and the Blackjacks (Tu-160s) live there. It's not the first time it's been hit either, so I imagine the base commander will be staying away from tall buildings for a while

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5627 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:52 pm

In Russia, even deep basements have high windows =))

Some video showing the Russians failing to eject the insurgents, including blowing their own guys up with a grenade.
https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/112128790364274279
I have geolocated this to Kozinka/Kozynka village, just over the Russian border near Grayvoron.
Initial camera point of view appears to be here, looking east.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/50%C2 ... ?entry=ttu

I think the exact house the Russians attack is this one 50.4595339,35.5847803

There's another photo only showing the insurgents just south of the big blue church also.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5628 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm

Personally I don't, unlike the poster, find the next bit funny.
However, it is interesting how the operator manoevres the drone so he can get them together, and thus take out both with the single warhead.
https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/112130031707039095

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5629 Post by probes » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:26 am

I agree.
But, what are (were) they doing there anyway? Open field, nothing around them (tanks or whatever)?

Belgorod is more and more in 'wartime regime'. Shops closed, food aid delivered. ruz has started re-locating troops from the front and shoigu announced that new units will be formed ( @-) but they have plenty anyway!). Glide bombs on both sides of the border.

India is refusing some ruz oil, fear of sanctions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5630 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:40 am

They appear to be waving shovels about. Probably digging defences in a rear area.

Lights have been out at least twice in Kursk also. The Russians don't have the troops or the equipment (e.g. air defence) to defend their border.
As I said earlier, I think this is something the Ukrainians need to exploit relentlessly this year.

The Russians have plenty of units, they just have hardly anyone in each of them. But 'forming new units' is one of those PR media phrases, like 'lessons will be learned', that the PR media people think is the nicest way of saying 'Foxtrot Oscar, we're changing nothing'. Ceaușescu was still bleating such rubbish, along with "Don't you know who I am?' when they took him out and shot him.

I'm always keen to see how other countries react, as it gives an indication of who they think is going to win. If India is now hedging its bets, good.
China is the key player here. At the moment they still think they can play both sides against the middle.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5631 Post by probes » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:45 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:40 am
I'm always keen to see how other countries react, as it gives an indication of who they think is going to win. If India is now hedging its bets, good.
And the US of A.
As Sullivan delivered ... what, exactly? ... again.

China is in an uncomfortable place, of course, and it really is interesting to see whether anything changes in their rhetorics - should ruz strategic position worsen. Right now it seems as if nothing much is happening on the front lines, but analysts say it's very remarkable how putin's outbursts on Belgorod differ from what he says about the Crimea. Or rather, what he doesn't (say) any more.

P.S the satellite images a day before the attack on Engels airfield showed 9 Tu-95 bombers and 1 Tu 160 bomber. No confirmation that they were still there when the field was hit.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5632 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:31 am

Russian Navy now inactive against an opponent with no navy :D
https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/112132381455807122

This imagery claims to show 6 Bears and 3 Blackjacks at Engels the day before the raid
https://eng.obozrevatel.com/section-new ... -2024.html
On the audio of the attack, there definitely seemed to be one secondary explosion immediately after one drone strike.
Somebody will know the result of the raid by this evening, and I expect we all will by the weekend.
Ukraine has stated that Liutyi (translates as 'February') drones were used. These have a 75kg warhead, which is about 8 times the weight of a sidewinder missile warhead.
A back-of-the-envelope calculation from open source information would indicate the drone needed to land within the normal spacing of the aircraft on the line at Engels.
The Engels line appears to have shipping containers used to provide revetment walls, which would also make it difficult to damage two aircraft with one small drone.
That means one drone, one kill maximum. I do not know what kind of terminal guidance that drone has, or its accuracy.
I would expect Engels has GPS jamming as a minimum.
It is quite common now for drones to have inertial nav as well as GPS, in case of the latter being jammed at times.
IR course checks are also relatively common, and there are 'other ways' ;))) . Engels being right next to a bend in the Volga would provide quite good opportunities for final position checks by various means.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5633 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:51 pm

Russian channels are reporting 2 aircraft at least damaged at Engels. Ukes awaiting confrmation before claiming anything.
Smoke at Taganrog.
https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/112133476711808227
I think this is looking north, at the North Taganrog airfield, which is the Candid transport base, not Mainstay AWACSki. Appears to be at the western end of the runway, not the main ramp, so maybe a landing/take-off accident.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5634 Post by probes » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:06 pm

Russia launches $400 million worth of cruise missiles at Kyiv last night. None hit directly, debris caused injuries and damage.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5635 Post by probes » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:06 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5636 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 am

I'm going to be very busy for the next six months, so will be posting quite a bit less.
I thought I'd have a look at how 2024 is likely to go.

ISW yesterday
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgr ... ch-21-2024
Mashovets’ assessment is consistent with ISW’s assessment that Russian defense production is capable of sustaining the current tempo of Russian offensive operations but is unlikely to be able to fully support a potential operational or strategic-level mission in 2024.
So the Russians are restricted to what they can grab with their current superiority in ammo supply and troops.
The process of flattening each settlement in turn, then sending in the 'meat waves' will continue. It's what the Russians know, and it's keeping putin and the senior leadership off the generals' backs.
Russia will win a war of attrition if it can maintain its current advantages without losing elsewhere.

At this rate, it will take till the year 2697 to reach Kyiv, but putin doesn't care.
Russia is suffering significantly economically, but it's not going to cause internal dissent for a couple of years at least.
He's betting on the support from Ukraine's allies waning first. This can happen in three ways.
The first is changes in western leadership attitude, the big ones being the USA, then the UK. Trump in particular appears much less inclined to continue supporting Ukraine as much.
The second is economics, with the western governments less able to support Ukraine because of increasing internal economic woes.
The third is higher priorities elsewhere, such as Israel/Hamas.
This is what the Russians are working on.
Personally, I think this is Russia's best bet, because I think the West will be economically screwed quite soon under current policies and politicians.

So I think the Ukrainians have to win it by this Fall if they are going to avoid having to concede current territory to Russia in a peace deal.
I think the Ukrainian leadership thinks this too.

Can they do it?

Firstly, there's the political side. Much depends on what the Ukrainian leadership wants to do, and what the western political leaders allow them to.
The big question, I think, is 'Are assaults directly into Russia on the cards?' If so, to what extent?

On the military side, does Syrskyi have the strategic nous to plan and lead a dynamic sequence of assaults to break the Russians elsewhere than the minefields of the main front line?
Well, he's more dynamic than Zaluznyi, but is he just a butcher who'll sacrifice a horde of guys to gain 17 square feet back, as the negatives say he is?
On this, and the same questions about the senior leadership of the Ukrainian army, depend the operational side of the summer's attacks.
On the tactical side, the Ukes have said themselves frequently that Senior NCOs are the key. Do they have enough good ones yet? They haven't had long to change the Soviet military culture.

There's always the logistical side. Will the Ukes have enough equipment, ammo and supplies to sustain whatever summer assaults they have planned?
For that to happen, the western promises have to be turned into actual stuff arriving at the Ukrainian border on time in sufficient quantity. This hasn't happened so far in most areas.
Secondly, the Ukes have to sort out their own corruption and inefficiencies so that the stuff, both from the West and from internal production, actually gets to the front line troops on time in sufficient quantity.
And thirdly, will those troops use the stuff intelligently and economically?

There is the technical side. If Ukraine can generate war-winning weaponry in sufficient quantities, the Russian equation may change.
Can they take down the Kerch bridges? Can they flatten half the oil refineries? (Update: That didn't last long!) blow up most of the Russian railway system often enough?, take out enough Russian bombers on the ground?
I don't know. They've put the Russian Navy back in its box, and there are hints they can do all the above on a small scale.
The problem with innovation is you can't guarantee it will happen.

I don't know the answers to any of these. I doubt anyone does at this stage.
However, I do think these are the key points and questions, and that the answers are in the balance.
One cannot say definitely no or yes to anything at the moment.

And of course Probes' last post shows the problem of Ukraine being dependent on western support, and thus western politics.
If the oil price goes through the roof, Biden loses the election.

On the plus side, if Biden doesn't come through with the promised/necessary support, they can restart the refinery strikes tomorrow.

Additionally, putin now knows how he can affect the result of the US Election, simply by changing Russian oil prices and/or supply.
What's the betting there's a big "technical" problem with Russian oil supply in, say, August?
putin and Trump don't have to be in cahoots for this to happen. Could just be that putin prefers Trump in power for what he will naturally do.

One awaits developments. Personally I think the Ukes should concentrate on the Kerch bridge and Russian railways. Those shouldn't affect the oil price much.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5637 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:25 pm

Election over..and putin's spokesman now saying that
Russia is at war.
https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/112138532171277568

Big splurge about this across Russian media and proxies.
Accuses "collective West" of being a "participant".

It's just the usual bait-and-switch on the Russian electorate.
They are obviously angling towards more mobilisation in Russia, and more control from the top.

Usual UN-friendly backtracking later
In a phone conversation with journalists later in the day, Peskov explained that despite the conflict “de facto turning into a war,” legally it remains classified in Russia as a special military operation and that nothing has changed in that regard.
Yeah, but, No, but
=))

Lots of supporting blah about how NATO has plans to invade shortly, and that all aggressive plans Russia is supposed to have are just NATO-BS.
For further details, see Hitler and Goebbels' speeches in 1938/9.

Not sure this changes anything in practical terms abroad. It's just Round 14 in Russia's attempts to put the frighteners on the weaker Western leaders, and offer excuses for people like Scholz/Orban.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5638 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:39 pm

Russian sources apparently now also saying the smoke at Taganrog yesterday was an aircraft accident.
My location for the camera position now corroborated on Geolocation.com

GrumpyPilot
CPL
CPL

#5639 Post by GrumpyPilot » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:35 pm

Dozens killed in an attack at a concert in Moscow.

https://www.ft.com/content/c1f0ee58-57d ... 50acbd5426

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5640 Post by probes » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:37 pm

And huge fire. And peskov saying 'NOW it's war'. The US warned of a mayor terrorist act at the beginning of March.
Uhh, it's gonna be real nasty.

At least 40 dead, dozens injured after attackers open fire inside busy Moscow-area concert venue, Russian state media reports