Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#2241 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 pm

Boing, I take your point, but there is no logical reason for attacking Russian cities. Russian (out of town) depots, yes, and the Ukes (probably) have been doing that.
The quickest way to stop the attacks is to win the war as fast as possible, and that's best done on the ground in Ukraine.
I think not attacking Russia makes a very clear point that all the Russian mobilees have to do is not go to Ukraine. Attacking Russia just sets off the whole "Defence of the Rodina' stuff, which putin will never stop going on about if it happens.

I also think the war will take a significant turn when the Kherson front finally collapses and surrenders. No way is putin going to be able to hide the numbers of Russian dead and PoW from his public then.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2242 Post by boing » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:22 am

Putin has been a protege/political influencer/dictator since 1975, in that time he has never needed to be a politician in the sense of creating a consensus to get anything achieved. He has always had the power of the state behind him. I see him as, in a way, a spoiled child who is used to getting his way and instead of listening to reason he simply screams more loudly like a brat. I don't think he even conceives of the idea of someone else having a valid opinion, the only ideas he accepts are those that go along with his own thinking.

I hope your assessment is correct but I fear that, regardless of facts, we are going to see Mr. Putin insisting on getting his own way to the end until someone applies the final solution.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2243 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:40 am

Well, today is his 70th birthday. Hope he spends it drinking tea and strolling past high windows.
As a present, the Russian media and proxies are spending a fourth day Not Mentioning the War

Meanwhile, we get this
https://t.me/VGA_Kherson/3858

Translation
Kherson children will spend autumn holidays in the best health resorts of Crimea

Taking into account the numerous requests and wishes of parents, from October 6 to October 21, 2022, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Kherson region of the Russian Federation announces vacations for schoolchildren of general educational institutions in the city of Kherson and in Belozersky, Berislavsky, Kakhovka, Snigiryovsky municipal districts, as well as in the Novokakhovka city district and students of secondary vocational educational institutions.

Children during the vacation period will take part in the health programs of the Russian Federation on the territory of the Republic of Crimea.
They are waiting for educational events, exciting trips and meetings with interesting people.

The Ministry of Education and Science of the Kherson region expresses its deep gratitude to the Government and the Ministry of Education, Science and Youth of the Republic of Crimea for the opportunity to improve the health of Kherson children during the velvet season in the best health resorts of Crimea.

#Administration_Kherson_region
Utter BS. They are being kidnapped
This is genocide as per Article II

Let's see what Amnesty has to say about this.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2244 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:47 am

On the front lines, there appears to be another, bigger than normal, attempt by the Russian General Officer Commanding to move his drinks cabinet 6 inches closer to Bakhmut, presumably so he can announce the progress as a birthday pressie to putin.

Kharkiv front: Makiivka definitely liberated

There may be more definite news about progress today, especially on the Kherson front.
I am still waiting for some kind of proof, but there is lots of good unconfirmed stuff.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2245 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:49 am

Biden is officially worried about Nuclear Armageddon

https://apnews.com/article/biden-nuclea ... ce=Twitter

I'm unable to tell whether this is real, or just part of the run-up to the US Midterm Elections.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2246 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:01 am

If we are lucky, the movement of the schoolkids to Crimea is solely a cover so that the administration officials, who will of course all have to accompany them, will be able to get out of Kherson without being blown up.
Effectively, the kids are human shields. If you think educational administrators wouldn't do this, you haven't met the same ones I have.
It could be related to this tragedy this morning, where a civilian bus was destroyed holding just before the Dari'ivka pontoon crossing of the Inhulets river.

Needless to say, the Russians have frequently been using commandeered civilian vehicles to move troops and ammunition around, but this one appears to have had genuine civilians on board. This crossing has been getting hit at least daily recently.

p.s. If admin2 is reading, the word s h o r t just got starred out. Is this because the rude word scanner looks for "sh star t", or am I now being unwittingly sizist?

admin2
Capt
Capt

#2247 Post by admin2 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:42 am

p.s. If admin2 is reading, the word s h o r t just got starred out. Is this because the rude word scanner looks for "sh star t", or am I now being unwittingly sizist?
Indeed I am - yes, there is some random 'starring' of words, I see. Not always consistent. The whole darned list is basically in place because of one poster (no prizes for guessing), and I have to use 'wild cards' to cope with all his games. I fear we need to live with it.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2248 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm

Thought so; we'll live with it.
I recall being unable to access the Wessex Water website whilst I was teaching (they had a sustainable energy HQ). Being such an innocent it took me a week to work out why it was blocked.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2249 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:02 pm

"Right, let's get back to that lovely war!"

What schoolkids in Ukraine prefer doing

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2250 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:09 pm

admin2 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:42 am
Indeed I am - yes, there is some random 'starring' of words, I see. Not always consistent. The whole darned list is basically in place because of one poster (no prizes for guessing), and I have to use 'wild cards' to cope with all his games. I fear we need to live with it.
So am I to understand that one may express themselves without having to self censor? :-? :-?? :ymdevil:

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2251 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:28 pm

This is 130 miles inside Russia, measured from the Ukrainian border.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2252 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:52 pm

RT is admitting something happened, but denying any significant damage .. but then they always do!

https://www.rt.com/russia/564236-drone- ... explosion/

As a reminder, here are all the aircraft that weren't damaged at Saky air base in Crimea :D

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/on-the ... FA963B136C

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2253 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:59 pm

RT.com is blocked from the UK.
On 18 March 2022, Ofcom cancelled RT's UK broadcasting licence "with immediate effect" after concluding the outlet was not "fit and proper" or a "responsible broadcaster".
Also:-
Germany banned RT DE in February 2022. After the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, Poland and then the entire European Union as well as Canada announced they were formally banning RT as well, while independent service providers in over 10 countries suspended broadcasts of RT.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2254 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:14 pm

So, it's true...real comedy is no longer allowed in the UK! :))
Text follows.
Drone explodes at Russian military airport – local officials
The vehicle, which crashed in Kaluga region southwest of Moscow, did not inflict any casualties, local governor said

An explosion occurred at a military airbase in Kaluga region located southwest of the Russian capital when an unidentified drone hit the ground, local authorities said on Friday, adding that there have been no casualties or major damage.
According to Kaluga’s Governor Vladislav Shapsha, a blast occurred at military airport ‘Shaikovka,’ with an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), which “presumably flew from [this] side of the border,” hitting the ground in the area.
“There are no casualties. The airfield infrastructure and equipment didn’t sustain any damage,” the official said, adding that there is no threat to the airport’s current operations while investigators are already looking into the incident.

Shaikovka is located about 600 kilometers from the Russia-Ukraine border and 300 kilometers southwest of Moscow. Moreover, according to media reports, the facility is home to a regiment of Russian strategic supersonic bombers.

While Shapsha did not comment on who might be behind the intrusion, news outlet Mash described the incident at the base as a “diversion.” It claimed that the UAV with a grenade was launched Friday morning not far from the airbase.

“[The drone] did not enter Russia from the territory of Ukraine. Its purpose was to destroy the airport’s runway,” it wrote, adding that the flight strip had been damaged but that it has already been repaired.

Since the onset of Russia’s military campaign in late February, Ukraine has repeatedly used drones for military purposes. In late September, in one of the most notorious examples, a Ukrainian explosive-laden UAV attacked Zaporozhye nuclear power plant, though no damage was caused to its reactor.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2255 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:49 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2256 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 pm

There are reports that the open ground is starting to get muddy enough to restrict operations immediately after rain.
In about two weeks, it will be a problem on unpaved roads in the north of Ukraine.

Six weeks from now, judging from the equipment and logistics levels I've seen, those two historically most deadly elements, Disease and Winter, will be joining the Ukrainian side.
I've also no doubt, from what I've seen, that the Ukrainian citizens in the Russian-occupied regions will be thrown out into the snow by the Russian soldiery first.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2257 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:40 pm

Another day ends with no confirmation of anything I can report to you.
Not only is the Russian media not saying anything, but a Russian MP, and by implication the editor of RT, are placing the blame on the silence from the Defence Ministry.
https://www.rt.com/russia/564127-russia ... try-truth/
(not worth copying the text)
I'm sure there's a lot going on, but we may not see any reportable resolutions for another 2-3 days yet.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2258 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:53 pm

Another blocked RT.com link.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2259 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:54 pm

Works for me.