Australia kicks out Novak Djokovic

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
JimR
ATPL
ATPL

Re: Australia kicks out Novak Djokovic

#81 Post by JimR » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:40 pm

I recently contracted Covid and almost certainly the Omicron variant. In total I felt unwell for maybe 3 days but did not need to stay incapacitated in bed. I have had 3 vaccinations but, as is well documented, does not provide complete protection from Omicron. I live in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. The hospital ICU occupation is between 80% and 90% from this recent escalation. The unvaccinated or only partially vaccinated account for approximately 81% of this number. I resent having to pay public health contributions for someones right to be non-vaccinated when the results of this great experimental drug are so f..ing obvious. Maybe this thread should be moved to the Sick Jokes area.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:19 pm

Dushan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:03 pm
You keep referring to vaccines, which this Pfizer/Moderna/AZ/Johnson/sinovax/SPUTNIK is not. It is an experimental drug that minimizes the effects of COVID. If you took it you participated ina medical experiment and while it may be beneficial to you it is nobody’s business what kind of medical treatment you are under. What next? Results of your PSA test? Pap smear for women? Negative AIDS test? It can get ugly.
You're not comparing like with like. AIDs test, Pap smears, PSA results are all personal and unless some twisted person is intending to pass on his or her AIDs to others they are really of no concern to anyone else except the individual and his or her medic. The silly argument about whether or not it's actually a 'vaccine' is pathetic. I would prefer to take any medicine or vaccine that lowered my chances of blocking an ICU bed than wait around for years in case a 'true vaccine' can be formulated, approved and produced in billions of doses. Self preservation perhaps but also not wanting to be part of a society that doesn't give a rat's a*se about anyone else.
'It can get ugly' - what can get ugly? The laws covering those personal matters are clear but my vaccination or anti-Covid drug status is a matter for public concern and I'm delighted to share it.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:21 pm

JimR wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:40 pm
I recently contracted Covid and almost certainly the Omicron variant. In total I felt unwell for maybe 3 days but did not need to stay incapacitated in bed. I have had 3 vaccinations but, as is well documented, does not provide complete protection from Omicron. I live in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. The hospital ICU occupation is between 80% and 90% from this recent escalation. The unvaccinated or only partially vaccinated account for approximately 81% of this number. I resent having to pay public health contributions for someones right to be non-vaccinated when the results of this great experimental drug are so f..ing obvious. Maybe this thread should be moved to the Sick Jokes area.
Obrigado, Jim.

JimR
ATPL
ATPL

#84 Post by JimR » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:33 pm

Thanks FD2, actually my Portuguese is pretty pathetic, but is particularly bad when being reprimanded by the wife. Hearing becomes bad as well!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 pm

JimR. Thank you.

Regarding 80-90% ICU occupation that is actually only a little above a norm. It was pointed out quite reasonably occupancy around 75% is about to right. Of it was 50% you can say that is wasteful and over capacity.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:25 pm

JimR wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:33 pm
Thanks FD2, actually my Portuguese is pretty pathetic, but is particularly bad when being reprimanded by the wife. Hearing becomes bad as well!
volume switch.jpg
volume switch.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Only kidding Jim!

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:30 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 pm
JimR. Thank you.

Regarding 80-90% ICU occupation that is actually only a little above a norm. It was pointed out quite reasonably occupancy around 75% is about to right. Of it was 50% you can say that is wasteful and over capacity.
I understood that he was pointing out that 81% of that 80-90% occupancy was taken up with un-vaccinated or partially vaccinated people?

JimR
ATPL
ATPL

#88 Post by JimR » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 pm

I understood that he was pointing out that 81% of that 80-90% occupancy was taken up with un-vaccinated or partially vaccinated people?
Correct FD2, I missed the significance of what PN was saying.
By the way, I liked the cartoon; my solution was to buy noise cancelling earphones.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by llondel » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:32 am

Dushan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:40 pm
These people who are so eager to show the whole world that they are "vaccinated" just make me sick. I refuse to go anywhere where the vaccine passports are required as it is nobody's business what my medical treatment status is. Especially some snot nosed kid's at the restaurant door.
While there are sufficient people who agree with your point of view you're OK, but what do you do if everyone in your area who operates a business requires it? Move somewhere else? Not that I think requiring vaccine passports is a good idea (except perhaps at national borders), because that's the sort of thing that morphs into officials being able to demand then at random in the streets and we know where that leads.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:26 am

FD2 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:30 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
JimR. Thank you.

That too. 75% is a normal level of occupancy. In this case 64% or so of the capacity was unvaccinated.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#91 Post by Dushan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:56 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:33 pm
Dushan wrote:
You keep referring to vaccines, which this Pfizer/Moderna/AZ/Johnson/sinovax/SPUTNIK is not. It is an experimental drug that minimizes the effects of COVID. If you took it you participated ina medical experiment and while it may be beneficial to you it is nobody’s business what kind of medical treatment you are under. What next? Results of your PSA test? Pap smear for women? Negative AIDS test? It can get ugly.
By definition, any vaccine at the start is experimental. Look, I get where you are coming from reference, freedom of choice, but with the right to choose, comes duties, and obligations, as well. It is called part of living in a civil society and cuts both ways... Turning a matter of life and death into a preposterous ideological football, either way, is the height of stupidity!
I thought this dude is a tennis player.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#92 Post by Dushan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:32 am
Dushan wrote:
These people who are so eager to show the whole world that they are "vaccinated" just make me sick. I refuse to go anywhere where the vaccine passports are required as it is nobody's business what my medical treatment status is. Especially some snot nosed kid's at the restaurant door.
While there are sufficient people who agree with your point of view you're OK, but what do you do if everyone in your area who operates a business requires it? Move somewhere else? Not that I think requiring vaccine passports is a good idea (except perhaps at national borders), because that's the sort of thing that morphs into officials being able to demand then at random in the streets and we know where that leads.
If a business requires it, without government/law backing it, then that calls for a legal challenge. Realistically, businesses are not in favour of this as it requires dedicating someone to do the checks. As soon as the government declares that vaxxs passports are no longer mandatory the businesses will be happy to get rid of checks.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#93 Post by Dushan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:11 pm

JimR wrote:
How do you feel about those who smoked all their lives and are now in ICU due to cancer? How about those who are obese because they ate MacDonald's all their lives and are now in ICU? Drunks with terminal liver problems? Shall I go on? If you have a socialized health care system you have to accept that bad life choices lead to occupied ICU beds and you have to pay for it.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by llondel » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:16 pm

Dushan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm
llondel wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:32 am
Dushan wrote:
If a business requires it, without government/law backing it, then that calls for a legal challenge. Realistically, businesses are not in favour of this as it requires dedicating someone to do the checks. As soon as the government declares that vaxxs passports are no longer mandatory the businesses will be happy to get rid of checks.
A private business is free to impose its own terms. If you don't like them you go elsewhere. A lot of pubs have long had a "no shirt, no service" rule, we've had the gay wedding cake saga, and a lot of places still have a sign up noting that they reserve the right to refuse service. I agree that they'll mostly be happy to drop it all, but they can still require proof without the law forcing them to.

It's also worth noting that while some large US companies have dropped the vaccine mandate for employees after the Supreme Court threw out the federal requirement, there are others still enforcing it. With at-will employment they're free to fire employees at any time for any reason.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#95 Post by Dushan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pm

FD2 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:19 pm
Dushan wrote:
You're not comparing like with like. AIDs test, Pap smears, PSA results are all personal and unless some twisted person is intending to pass on his or her AIDs to others they are really of no concern to anyone else except the individual and his or her medic. The silly argument about whether or not it's actually a 'vaccine' is pathetic. I would prefer to take any medicine or vaccine that lowered my chances of blocking an ICU bed than wait around for years in case a 'true vaccine' can be formulated, approved and produced in billions of doses. Self preservation perhaps but also not wanting to be part of a society that doesn't give a rat's a*se about anyone else.
'It can get ugly' - what can get ugly? The laws covering those personal matters are clear but my vaccination or anti-Covid drug status is a matter for public concern and I'm delighted to share it.
Why is the COVID "vaccination" status exempt from that?

It can get ugly because as civil liberties erode those medical conditions you now consider personal may also become a "matter of public concern". "Give an inch, take a mile" comes to mind, or "those who trade safety for liberty deserve neither"

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by boing » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:24 pm

We could start quite a list here, bicyclists, mountain climbers, kayackers, people who use home workshop equipment, anyone who drives a car? Why should I pay taxes to help those fools?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:33 pm

A business will only enforce its own rule /standard or whatever if it does not affect the bottom line. That rule will generally be one that its clientele supports and is happy to comply with: jackets in the Hilton in Cairo, trousers and shoes in a Club in Chennai, shirts in a pub.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#98 Post by Dushan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:45 pm

boing wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:24 pm
We could start quite a list here, bicyclists, mountain climbers, kayackers, people who use home workshop equipment, anyone who drives a car? Why should I pay taxes to help those fools?

I fully agree. We should scrap a socialized healthcare system and everyone pays for his/her treatment only. I suspect many here would not agree.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by FD2 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:01 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:26 am
FD2 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:30 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
JimR. Thank you.

That too. 75% is a normal level of occupancy. In this case 64% or so of the capacity was unvaccinated.
The level of occupancy is irrelevant - it's 80 or 90 % of something we don't know about and could be 80 or 90 beds or 160 beds or anything within reason. The point being made is that 81% of the people in the unit at the same time as JimR were unvaccinated. That could be anything between, say 50 and 150 people, depending on the capacity of the unit.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by FD2 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:19 pm

Dushan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:11 pm
JimR wrote:
How do you feel about those who smoked all their lives and are now in ICU due to cancer? How about those who are obese because they ate MacDonald's all their lives and are now in ICU? Drunks with terminal liver problems? Shall I go on? If you have a socialized health care system you have to accept that bad life choices lead to occupied ICU beds and you have to pay for it.
The answer to that is simple. Sick people get treated and that applies to those who have smoked all their lives as well as those who have nearly drunk themselves to death. The fool who doesn't get jabbed (I've not called in 'vaccinated note) because of some misguided principle have to get treated the same as any other sick people. I don't know whether you live in the UK or wherever but the NHS needs serious reform and something on the lines of the insurance plus government funding from taxes like France, Germany, Netherlands would be a good option.

To make the whole system private might suit some who have the money to pay for it, but there will still be a big layer at the bottom who cannot afford it - so what happens to them? Leave them to die in the street like dogs? A trend that has got worse and worse in this wonderful world of ours is that less and less of the wealth is shared amongst the citizens and extracted from those at the bottom end of it. In other words those who can least afford the expense of health care on top of the necessities of life like food for their children.

Let them eat cake perhaps? Sterilise them? Alternatively make booze and fags too expensive to waste money on?

BTW I don't give a damn who knows whether I have been jabbed for yellow fever, typhoid, typhus, polio etc ethc. It's in the public interest that I don't go spreading those diseases around my community and I class Covid amongst them.