Censoring

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Censoring

#41 Post by om15 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:43 pm

At worst I estimate we would lose 4'ish members and hope to gain 20.
I think that this concentration on the use of swear words might rather be missing the point, the odd expletive used to demonstrate a particular point is harmless, however the situation whereby drunken and abusive posts go unchecked is/was the problem, not the odd jaw breaker from Plum.

Hoping to gain 20 new members is a pretty optimistic target. Those from Top who want to join already have and there isn't really anyone else. I can't see much to attract 20/30/40 year olds to the site, but we'll see. If you can retain what we've got that would be an impressive achievement.

Out of interest, I support Plum and see no reason for him to be banned, suspended, advised or anything else really, what do others think.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#42 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:54 pm

Out of interest, I support Plum and see no reason for him to be banned, suspended, advised or anything else really, what do others think.
+1
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#43 Post by Bob » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:00 pm

BOAC or whatever you are calling yourself....Its a mild expletive beloved of Irish TV Priests
I.E. "Don't tell me I'm still on that fecking Island?!!!"
But you knew that didnt ya?
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Bob
Capt
Capt

#44 Post by Bob » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:01 pm

Oh and as for Plum...seriously?, I can sort of understand you venting your puritanical nonsense at me but really!!!
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Seenenough

#45 Post by Seenenough » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:46 pm

OM-"the situation whereby drunken and abusive posts go unchecked is/was the problem,"

Agreed.

I don"t think anyone minds the odd explicative here and there but when every sentence is laced with one often trying to belittle and berate another's opinion it becomes problematic.I don't know why it is so necessary to use the C/Q word

I always first look at what time the post is made.Often it is the near midnight posts that usually are the problem.

Maybe admin to can give us some data as to active members numbers ( anyone who posts more than once a month )and also give us an idea of how many new sign ups there have been in the last year.

OM,I believe that we are going to have to make the foundation of the forum more than being ousted TOP posters in order to attract younger members.I have just turned 60 and I consider myself as one of the younger members,

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:51 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:46 pm
OM-"the situation whereby drunken and abusive posts go unchecked is/was the problem,"

I have just turned 60 and I consider myself as one of the younger members,
Ah the class of 79 eh! :p ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#47 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:57 pm

It is most of the youngsters and armchair pilots who come out with most of the crap on TOP. When discussing serious matters here, particularly aircraft accidents, we don't get any of that rubbish.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#48 Post by Dushan » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:10 pm

admin2 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:13 pm
Grammatical error correction on your post, Dushan
Thank you. I couldn't have hoped for a better way to demonstrate how totally insignificant minutea are being obsessed about while the AN-225, burning in the hangar, is being ignored.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Wodrick » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:37 pm

om15 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:43 pm
I think that this concentration on the use of swear words might rather be missing the point, the odd expletive used to demonstrate a particular point is harmless, however the situation whereby drunken and abusive posts go unchecked is/was the problem, not the odd jaw breaker from Plum.
I find myself in broad agreement, the severity of the vocabulary used comes into play too, however the administration of such is almost impossible so a overall ban is the way.

2c
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by om15 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:07 pm

the severity of the vocabulary used comes into play too,
When you watch television the language, often before 9 pm, is straight out of the NAAFI. I think that is a fact that most people under 40 of both sexes swear at each other quite indiscriminately in a way that some of us didn't used to.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#51 Post by admin2 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:25 pm

Wrong ident, AK. Any more personal abuse and profanity and you will have time off. Don't then bleat you were not warned like some snowflake.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 pm

You like to hand the insults out bo, but not so hot at taking them?

I just heard a lady poet use the word F*****g in a poem that she just read out on Radio 4. So really, if the entire audience of Radio 4 can manage, don't you think a bunch of pilots could cope?

It starts with censoring, you're already threatening to ban me.

What next I wonder?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by boing » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:19 pm

This is getting out of hand.
I personally do not like swearing especially in print. You can forget a misdemeanor in conversation but in print, on the internet, it is forever.
As a practical matter I fail to see how swearing advances any discussion, in fact it is more likely to reflect on the debating capability of the user than it is to advance his argument. Why don't we just agree that, despite our personal opinions on swearing, that we can restrain ourselves as a simple matter of traditional decorum on a site that may be visited by a range of individuals? Do you really want people to say that they enjoyed this site for its information content provided by a group with incredibly diffuse backgrounds and experiences but they could not stomach the swearing?
Swearing is mainly a problem on P&C, a small but popular area of the forum. Could I simply say "Hey Guys, in normal life swearing is your right but on our forum, for the benefit of other users and people who may drop by, could you just tone things down? Nobody is becoming a communist dictator, a swearing restriction is not going to lead to you having your bank-account frozen in the future, we just want to consider others as well as ourselves".

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#54 Post by admin2 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:22 pm

What next I wonder?
What next is your (removed) post is going on display in the Woke gallery so the other lefties in the group can admire it.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by boing » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:34 pm

OK Atom,
This is not an attack, simply a request for moderation from a guy I know is capable of greater things than getting into a mud-fest.
Admin2 has a dirty job, he's new at it, he has many serious considerations to deal with, give him a break while he gets oriented.
Just because some woman swore in a poem for what was almost certainly shock value does not mean that we all have to reduce ourselves to that level. You enter this game a hundred times more valuable to society than she is so please don't hold her up as a moral leader. You don't need to.
And as far a "censoring" goes, if it gets really silly, I will be out of here before you are.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:48 pm

boing very well said. And as a matter of fat the act of nailing your opponent elegantly is a much sought after skill.

Some nasty words are better used in an isolation and not between people who could be out pub buddies

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by Karearea » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:51 pm

boing wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:19 pm
This is getting out of hand.
I personally do not like swearing especially in print. You can forget a misdemeanor in conversation but in print, on the internet, it is forever.
As a practical matter I fail to see how swearing advances any discussion, in fact it is more likely to reflect on the debating capability of the user than it is to advance his argument. Why don't we just agree that, despite our personal opinions on swearing, that we can restrain ourselves as a simple matter of traditional decorum on a site that may be visited by a range of individuals? Do you really want people to say that they enjoyed this site for its information content provided by a group with incredibly diffuse backgrounds and experiences but they could not stomach the swearing?
Swearing is mainly a problem on P&C, a small but popular area of the forum. Could I simply say "Hey Guys, in normal life swearing is your right but on our forum, for the benefit of other users and people who may drop by, could you just tone things down? Nobody is becoming a communist dictator, a swearing restriction is not going to lead to you having your bank-account frozen in the future, we just want to consider others as well as ourselves".

+1
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by om15 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:18 pm

Admin2 has a dirty job, he's new at it, he has many serious considerations to deal with,
I really don't see this as a big deal, most members conduct themselves very reasonably, the odd eccentric post and swear word is not what the problem is.

We know what the problem is and it isn't AK or Plum, both of whom appear to be under the threat of being suspended, advised and being banned because boac2 doesn't like them, I'm not sure if that is what the members want, it might be nice to be asked.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#59 Post by bob2s » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:30 pm

Quote-OM-I really don't see this as a big deal, most members conduct themselves very reasonably, the odd eccentric post and swear word is not what the problem is.
Quote OM-I think that this concentration on the use of swear words might rather be missing the point, the odd expletive used to demonstrate a particular point is harmless, however the situation whereby drunken and abusive posts go unchecked is/was the problem, not the odd jaw breaker from Plum.

Totally agree.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:58 pm

I self-censor what I read. If the expletive count goes up I assume there's nothing of substance in a post and move on. I'm not opposed to expletives, when used well they add emphasis, but when I have to skip every third word it's not worth the effort. Ideally those who've had a bit too much to drink would go back and remove whatever they posted while in that state, although I think the site stops us doing that after a time interval which may be less than the drying-out time, so that's the time to ping the mod team to get it removed or sanitised.

Similarly, if it's a rehash of something I've seen before then it's on to the next post, so if people have something interesting to say, please separate it out so I don't miss it.

There are people on here with whom I often disagree, but it's useful to read their take on things because I might have missed something, and if they don't convince me then at least it gives me insight into how the "other side" thinks and why.