Chaos in North Korea

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Chaos in North Korea

#1 Post by OFSO » Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 pm

The 'fever' in the North continues to rage, as N Korea today recorded 269,510 additional cases and six more deaths, bringing the total number killed to 56 since late last month. About 1.48 million people have become ill with the virus since the first case was reported last Thursday and at least 663,910 people were in quarantine, according to official figures. The outbreak is almost certainly greater than the official tally, given a lack of tests and resources to monitor and treat the sick.

A significant Covid-19 outbreak could unleash a humanitarian crisis in North Korea, where the economy has been battered by the pandemic-enforced closure of its border with China – its main trading partner – natural disasters, and years of international sanctions imposed in response to ballistic missile tests.

The regime is not thought to have vaccinated any of its population and does not have access to antiviral drugs that have been used to treat Covid-19 in other countries. Its hospitals have few intensive-care resources to treat severe cases, and widespread malnourishment has made the population of 26 million more susceptible to serious illness.

Some observers speculated that authorities were deliberately underreporting cases to ease the pressure on Kim.

North Korea has tested just 64,200 people since the start of the pandemic’s start, according to the World Health Organization, compared with 172 million in the neighbouring South.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in North Korea

#2 Post by John Hill » Tue May 17, 2022 7:16 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 pm
...and years of international sanctions imposed in response to ballistic missile tests.

Is that really true? Sanctions have been imposed on North Korea since 1950!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by Dushan » Tue May 17, 2022 8:02 pm

OFSO is referring to the "double secret sanctions".

Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:07 am

North Korea has launched an intercontinental ballistic missile that has the potential to strike the entire US mainland, the Japanese defence minister said on Friday.

The ICBM flew around 1,000 km before it landed in Japan’s exclusive economic zone, reaching a maximum altitude of around 6,100km, the South Korean military said.

It was North Korea’s second suspected test of banned long-range missiles this month, and its eighth launch this year.

The ICBM was fired from North Korea’s Sunan area in the capital Pyongyang at 10.15am local time (02.15am GMT), military chiefs in South Korea said.

Japanese defence minister Yasukazu Hamada said depending on the weight of a warhead to be placed on the missile, the weapon has a range exceeding 15,000km (9,320 miles), “in which case it could cover the entire mainland United States.”

He described a similar missile trajectory to that observed by the South Korean military, adding that the altitude achieved suggests the missile was launched at a high angle.

Japan’s prime minister, Fumio Kishida, condemned the test and said the missile appeared to have landed 200km west of the Japanese island of Hokkaido, inside its exclusive economic zone.

He said there had been no reports of damage to ships or aircraft.

“We naturally lodged a strong protest against North Korea, which has repeated its provocations with unprecedented frequency,” Mr Kishida told reporters in Thailand.

“We have told [Pyongyang] that we absolutely cannot tolerate such actions.”

The launch is suspected to be of the new Hwasong-17, North Korea’s longest-range two-stage ICBM, according to South Korean defence sources, reported Yonhap.

Its trajectory was similar to North Korea’s claimed test of a Hwasong-17 on 22 March. That projectile flew for 67.5 minutes to a maximum altitude of 6,248.5 km (3,905 miles), according to North Korean media.

South Korean president Yoon Suk-yeol condemned the launch, saying he would work with the international community for a coordinated response to the North‘s repeated missile launches.

It came as US vice president Kamala Harris was in Thailand for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit amid heightened geopolitical tensions over the war in Ukraine and flashpoints in Asia, including Taiwan and North Korea.

It was Pyongyang’s second test in two days at a time when there are concerns North Korea could also carry out a major nuclear weapons test.

On Thursday, the hermit kingdom fired a short-range ballistic missile from the eastern coastal Wonsan area in Kangwŏn Province, breaking an eight-day lull in tests.

That came after North Korea’s foreign minister Choe Son Hui warned of a “fiercer” military response to the US for its joint drills with South Korea and a renewed security commitment to allies in Seoul and Japan.

It was also Pyongyang’s first response to US president Joe Biden’s trilateral summit with Japanese and South Korean leaders in Cambodia on the sidelines of the Asean (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) summit.

Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul, says more governments should collectively hold North Korea accountable because its pariah state behaviour is not just a problem for Washington and its allies but a growing global threat.

“Pyongyang is trying to disrupt international cooperation against it by escalating military tensions and suggesting it has the capability of holding American cities at risk of nuclear attack.”

North Korea’s ballistic missile tests are banned by United Nations Security Council resolutions.

On 3 November, North Korea launched an ICBM which failed mid-flight at high altitude, South Korea said. Analysts said the launch appeared to also be of the Hwasong-17, but it failed to fulfil its completed flight trajectory and fell into the ocean at the separation stage.

North Korea has been actively testing two other types of ICBM – Hwasong-14 and Hwasong-15 – and their launches in 2017 proved they could potentially reach parts of the US homeland.
https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/east ... 27753.html
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:17 pm

The ICBM flew around 1,000 km before it landed in Japan’s exclusive economic zone,
..and EEZs have absolutely no applicability to missile tests.

I really do despair of journalists....
“Pyongyang is trying to disrupt international cooperation against it ....
Well, who wouldn't?
by escalating military tensions and suggesting it has the capability of holding American cities at risk of nuclear attack.”
No, it does have that capability.

I really do despair of academics....

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by tango15 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:26 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:17 pm
The ICBM flew around 1,000 km before it landed in Japan’s exclusive economic zone,
..and EEZs have absolutely no applicability to missile tests.

I really do despair of journalists....
“Pyongyang is trying to disrupt international cooperation against it ....
Well, who wouldn't?
by escalating military tensions and suggesting it has the capability of holding American cities at risk of nuclear attack.”
No, it does have that capability.

I really do despair of academics....
I concur. I gather Youtube is now full of offerings by these armchair generals, most of whom will never have held a rifle, never mind something more potent. It's an easy way to earn a living these days, but the problem is that too many of the poorly educated - and there are a lot of them these days - believe everything they say.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:42 pm

Whilst Yung Fat Wun is a murderous dictator, he's absolutely right that nukes are essential to maintain one's independence.

As to journalists and academics, what I find particularly disappointing is that their reasoning is simply wrong. It's not logical. The points they make are in conflict with their own other points.

And one wonders how this develops.
Is it that they never get marked wrong in school?
Are their errors there never corrected?
Is it that their errors are not considered important as long as they push the party line?
Are they never challenged as to their reasoning by being asked difficult questions?

There aren't enough stupid people to fill all the journalist, academic, and political jobs, so some of these people must have been born with a brain.
So, how did they come to not use it correctly?

The North Korean (and Russian, for that matter) Generals trot out this rubbish because they'll be executed with an anti-aircraft gun if they don't, but the western JAPs don't have that excuse.
I presume they just like the power, fame, and money.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by tango15 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:54 pm

My casual work brings me into contact with a lot of young people and my anecdotal evidence suggests that Your block of four questions is just about on the money, F3. We have, unfortunately, begun to follow more 'modern' teaching methods, where kids are no longer wrong, they just have a different opinion. I first saw this 'snowflake' approach to teaching in the US about 30 years ago, via colleagues, some of them Brits, who were working there. Inevitably, it has drifted over here - I blame those persistent westerlies! And as with everything that comes over from the US, it is seen as being the best thing since sliced bread. Couple that with the introduction of comprehensive education in the UK and it's a perfect formula for dumbing down the education system. I watch quite a lot of quiz programmes, and the number of people who say 'I don't know much about geography' But know all about sports and celebrities is legion. Now I wonder where that came from?

Couple that with the fast-emerging British sense of entitlement, and I think a picture begins to emerge.

That said, some of the young people I work with are very bright and pleasant to work with, but they are definitely in the minority these days,

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:47 pm

Easily sorted.
Give them all a go at fighter piloting.
There are usually several ways of being right for most tasks, but all the ways of being wrong will kill you.
Should sort the problem pretty quickly. :D

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by John Hill » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:31 am

Don't worry about North Korea as it is all going completely to plan.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:17 am

tango15 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:54 pm
I watch quite a lot of quiz programmes, and the number of people who say 'I don't know much about geography' But know all about sports and celebrities is legion. Now I wonder where that came from?

Couple that with the fast-emerging British sense of entitlement, and I think a picture begins to emerge.

That said, some of the young people I work with are very bright and pleasant to work with, but they are definitely in the minority these days,
It has been much like that since before Sam Cooke sang:
Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took

But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you love me, too
What a wonderful world this would be
Sorry I just couldn't help myself! =))

I think that every generation of grumpy old farts (of which I am one) say this of the younger generation! The moment you even think of the "younger generation" you are morphing into an old fart! :)
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:27 am

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by John Hill » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:42 am

So Kim's daughter lives life of luxury while many people in the country are starving. That is the way the world works or is there some other message implied?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:20 pm

Um..seems to be a lack of chaos in Norkland right now.

The new light water reactor at Yongbyon appears to have just gone into operation, according to the IAEA.
This can produce weapons grade plutonium at around 5x the rate of their current reactor.

Last week, the solid-fueled Hwasong 18 completed its third successful test, out of three.
This missile can strike anywhere in the USA.
The three tests appear to have been operational trajectory, maximum rage test on high angle trajectory, and operational deployment sequence.

They have successfully launched their first satellite last month. This is more likely to have a covert military use, e.g. EMP strike, than a genuine need for satellite intel.

They have successfully tested a rail-launched mobile missile.

They seem to have got a lot of data in exchange for their one million 152mm ammo rounds they've shipped to Russia.

It is reported that they are prepping for another nuke test. Worst case scenario is that this is for miniaturised warheads for ICBM MIRVs and cruise missiles.

And of course the US is up to its eyeballs with 2 other wars and big internal ructions.

Yung Fat Wun will be having a very pleasant New Years' bash, I imagine.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by John Hill » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:13 pm

'Reap what you sow' even if it takes nearly 80 years.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:40 am

Patience is a virtue

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by John Hill » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:28 am

Patience is a rather foolish virtue if you are sitting waiting for something really, really nasty and you steadfastly avoid doing anything that might lessen or even avoid the nasties.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:33 pm

That would be procrastination, not patience.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by Dushan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:13 pm

John Hill wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:28 am
Patience is a rather foolish virtue if you are sitting waiting for something really, really nasty and you steadfastly avoid doing anything that might lessen or even avoid the nasties.
So the proper approach would have been to nuke them 70 years ago and be done with it? I agree.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by John Hill » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:28 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:33 pm
That would be procrastination, not patience.
Whatever, still a foolish virtue.