Roe vs Wade?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Roe vs Wade?

#41 Post by boing » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:11 am

My feeling would be that if a medical condition will cause a lifelong incapacity that we might say "would stop life being worth living" then abortion could be the answer. I personally have known people that made heroic efforts to raise handicapped children and the job they performed humbles me. I am not sure that in the end they did more than gain "karma", however you think of that, for their superhuman efforts because, with their best efforts, they could not hold off the medical prognosis.

This particular decision is, of course, a deeply personal one that is going to result in deep personal and psychological hurt because one can never know whether the correct decision was made. In these cases the best and most honest medical advise is certainly required and this inevitably throws great pain and possibly guilt onto the medical professional involved. The answer to your question, I think, should be "yes", abortion should be an option.

To add a further topic I also think that abortion should be available in the case of rape. I know that many brave women fight their way through the mental torture that must be experienced but I would imagine that many women would also have great difficulty loving a child produced by such barbarity. In a way this is a mirror image of the first situation, in that case the abortion is intended to protect the child from a miserable life, in the second case we are protecting the mother from the same situation.

But who can be sure they are doing the right thing, it requires more wisdom and empathy than I have to make a remotely right decision.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:03 am

Here in the UK, one of the 'tests' for deformity of the fetus during pregnancy is for Down syndrome.

Early in my childhood I lived near a family with a Down syndrome child.

Alison (who was an only child) was an outwardly extremely happy child, though she was subject to frequent violent outbursts of anger and 'disobedience', which caused conflict within the family.

She attended a special school along with others of her 'type'.

Alison's mother was devoted to her - though the situation was such that Stuart, the father was eventually unable to cope and he left the family and ended the marriage.

I decided (way before my marriage) that, were we to have a Down syndrome child, that they would be 'given up' and raised in an institution along with like children, where they would be happier than attempting to raise them in a normal household environment.

Was I wrong?

I currently live near an institution where several Down syndrome young adults are accommodated and educated (they operate a catering establishment serving to the public with a cafe in town) and their carers appear to be dedicated and compassionate people.

I also encounter 'high functioning' individuals travelling on public transport.

I occasionally (though rarely) see families with Down syndrome children (usually just one child) and it seems obvious that it requires considerable effort and a lifetime of devotion by the parent(s).

Is it therefore appropriate that a Down syndrome fetus should be aborted (when the subsequent child can otherwise have an apparently 'happy' life?).

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:33 am

As type this there are apprently protest rallies occurring in various Cities here in Australia about the recent US Supreme Court ruling.

Upon hearing of this during the news on the 'all leather wireless', my initial reaction was..."Why?" :-\
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by boing » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:39 pm

Google says it will delete location history for visits to abortion clinics after overturning of Roe v. Wade
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... estro=true

Which shows how much information they are collecting about us on a routine basis.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:43 pm

Location by cell is still available without Google.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by boing » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:13 pm

Quite true which makes the situation worse. The phone companies and media like to claim that their tracking services are merely a convenience to the consumer allowing useful purchasing suggestions to be supplied. It does not take a very big brain to work out how this information could be used by any organisation for good or evil.

Would you want your visits to psychotherapy to be recorded and available to police and your employer, how about your purchase of dope in States where store sales are permitted? What about if you are tracked as breaking a speed limit and they can prove you did it because when you refueled you were photographed by a surveillance camera as you used your credit card? We are pacified by the claims that this activity is for our own good but what happens when things change and the people in charge are then less benevolent?

The very fact that tracking data can be collected or rejected based on the moral or political leanings of a massive major, unaccountable, corporation should frighten everyone.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by llondel » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:24 pm

OK, how about the case currently doing the rounds of a 10 year old girl who was raped in Ohio, got pregnant from it and had to travel out of state to get an abortion. How is that a good idea?

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/202 ... 788415001/

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:42 pm

It probably makes sense to the Chump?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:54 pm

Google says it will delete location history for visits to abortion clinics, medical sites
The tech giant didn’t say how it would respond to potential requests from law enforcement but said it would “oppose demands that are overly broad or otherwise legally objectionable.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/ ... -rcna36432

Google said late Friday that it will work to quickly delete location history for people going to abortion sites and other medical sites following the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade last week.

“Today, we’re announcing that if our systems identify that someone has visited one of these places, we will delete these entries from Location History soon after they visit,” wrote Jen Fitzpatrick, Google’s senior vice president of core systems and experiences, in a blog post.

Fitzpatrick noted that visits to places like counseling centers, domestic violence shelters, abortion clinics and fertility centers “can be particularly personal.” Google parent Alphabet owns highly popular devices and data services, including Android, Fitbit, Search and Google Maps. That’s become a greater concern since the Supreme Court ruling, because of uncertainty surrounding whether sensitive data could be used to target what is now potentially criminal activity.

Google’s post says, “Fitbit users who have chosen to track their menstrual cycles in the app can currently delete menstruation logs one at a time, and we will be rolling out updates that let users delete multiple logs at once.”

The decision from the nation’s highest court overturned nearly 50 years of legal precedent by reversing its original opinion that women have a constitutional right to an abortion. For weeks, Google and other tech companies have avoided answering questions from the media and legislators about their data storage and practices as well as how they will comply with potential law enforcement requests.

Google, which sent an email to employees with resources for its own employees amid the ruling, has also faced questions about its search results in addition to data privacy.

Even before the decision became official, lawmakers called on Google and the Federal Trade Commission to ensure data for online consumers seeking care would be protected in the event that the landmark ruling was overturned.

In May, a group of 42 Democratic lawmakers urged Google CEO Sundar Pichai in a letter to stop collecting and keeping unnecessary or non-aggregated location data that could be used to identify people seeking abortions.

Google’s Friday post didn’t say how it would respond to potential requests from law enforcement. Instead, the company said it would “continue to oppose demands that are overly broad or otherwise legally objectionable.”

Google also said the responsibility is shared by many institutions.

“Given that these issues apply to healthcare providers, telecommunications companies, banks, tech platforms, and many more, we know privacy protections cannot be solely up to individual companies or states acting individually,” the post said.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:57 pm

More on privacy:
Police sweep Google searches to find suspects. The tactic is facing its first legal challenge.
Privacy advocates are watching the case closely, concerned that police could use reverse keyword searches to investigate people who seek information about abortions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/po ... -rcna35749

A teen charged with setting a fire that killed five members of a Senegalese immigrant family in Denver, Colorado, has become the first person to challenge police use of Google search histories to find someone who might have committed a crime, according to his lawyers.

The pushback against this surveillance tool, known as a reverse keyword search, is being closely watched by privacy and abortion rights advocates, who are concerned that it could soon be used to investigate women who search for information about obtaining an abortion in states where the procedure is now illegal.

In documents filed Thursday in Denver District Court, lawyers for the 17-year-old argue that the police violated the Constitution when they got a judge to order Google to check its vast database of internet searches for users who typed in the address of a home before it was set ablaze on Aug. 5, 2020. Three adults and two children died in the fire.

That search of Google’s records helped point investigators to the teen and two friends, who were eventually charged in the deadly fire, according to police records. All were juveniles at the time of their arrests. Two of them, including the 17-year-old, are being tried as adults; they both pleaded not guilty. The defendant in juvenile court has not yet entered a plea.

The 17-year-old’s lawyers say the search, and all evidence that came from it, should be thrown out because it amounted to a blind expedition through billions of Google users’ queries based on a hunch that the killer typed the address into a search bar. That, the lawyers argued, violated the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable searches.

“People have a privacy interest in their internet search history, which is really an archive of your personal expression,” said Michael Price, who is lead litigator of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers’ Fourth Amendment Center and one of the 17-year-old’s attorneys. “Search engines like Google are a gateway to a vast trove of information online and the way most people find what they’re looking for. Every one of those queries reveals something deeply private about a person, things they might not share with friends, family or clergy.”

Keyword searches have grown increasingly common in recent years, as police have used them to search for suspects in a variety of crimes, including a string of Texas bombings, sexual abuse in Wisconsin and fraud in Minnesota. They differ from traditional search warrants in that police seek them without knowing the name of a suspect; instead, they are seeking information that might lead them to a suspect.

Google does not publish data on the number of keyword search requests it receives, and did not respond to a request to provide that information. Google also did not respond to requests for comment.

Now that the Supreme Court has overturned Roe v. Wade, privacy advocates and women’s rights groups worry that keyword searches could expand into investigations of illegal abortions in states that have outlawed them.

“Police officers are going to try to investigate people they think are violating those laws. One way of finding that is to ask Google to hand over information on everyone who has searched for a Planned Parenthood in a particular place,” said Jennifer Lynch, surveillance litigation director at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit civil rights group that plans to file a brief supporting the 17-year-old’s challenge to the keyword search warrant.

“If Google is allowed or required to turn over information in this Colorado case, there is nothing to stop a court in a state that has outlawed abortion to also require Google to turn over information on that kind of keyword search.”

Abortion rights advocates are also concerned about geofence warrants, in which police ask Google to provide information on devices that were near the scene of a crime in order to find a suspect. That tool was found unconstitutional by a judge in Virginia last year, but that ruling doesn’t restrain police in other parts of the country.

Denver police, with help from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, turned to the keyword search several weeks after the fire, when they had yet to identify the people caught on security video in masks just before the fire was set.

The keyword search warrant, issued in November 2020, led Google to search for anyone who queried the address of the home that burned in the 15 days before the fire. Google delivered information on 61 queries, according to court filings, along with the IP address — a unique number for each computer on the internet. Investigators focused on a handful of those queries, asking Google to provide detailed user information for them. One of them was linked to the 17-year-old.

From there, investigators examined the teen’s other online activities, including Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and text messages.

The investigation revealed that the fire was set in a mistaken attempt at revenge against someone who’d stolen one of the co-defendant’s phones, a Denver detective testified last year. After the fire, the co-defendant realized the people killed were not the people he thought stole the phone, the detective said.

If it wasn’t for the keyword search warrant, investigators would never have suspected the 17-year-old or his friends, his lawyers wrote in the motion filed Thursday.

“The starting point was a search of billions of Google users, and all without a shred of evidence to search any one of them,” the lawyers wrote.

The lawyers called the search a privacy violation of not only the 17-year-old defendant but of all people who conducted a search on Google during the 15-day period.

The Denver Police Department declined to comment. So did the Denver district attorney’s office, which is prosecuting the case.

Price said that allowing the government to sift through Google’s vast trove of searches is akin to allowing the government access to users’ “thoughts, concerns, questions, fears.”

“Every one of those queries reveals something deeply private about a person, things they might not share with friends, family or clergy,” Price said. “‘Psychiatrists in Denver.’ ‘Abortion providers near me.’ ‘Does God exist.’ Every day, people pose those questions to Google seeking information.”

PP

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by boing » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Hours after the Supreme Court action, the Buckeye state had outlawed any abortion after six weeks. Now this doctor had a 10-year-old patient in the office who was six weeks and three days pregnant.
So the girl got pregnant at 9 years and 10 1/2 months of age. Horrible if true but there were no links in the article to any confirmatory news source (I did not do a general search). Pardon my scepticism but this was a very timely and very unusual event. A link in the original article would have been nice.
In the United States, a child may get their first period when they’re about 12. However, anytime between 10 and 15 is within the average range. It’s not entirely unusual for a first period to happen as young as 8 or as old as 16.
Just a thought and I hope I am right because it would mean a young girl did not have a terrible experience but:

Chance of being fertile at 9 years and 10 months old 1:10,000.
Chance of being raped at this age 1: 100,000.
Chance of being raped at this particular time proximate to the Supreme Court ruling 1: 1,000,000. (Figures vary but 120,000 cases in the US in 2020 so any one month period would be 120,000/12=10,000 per month across the country. Divide this by the number of States=50 so per State monthly rate on average is 200 cases. 200 cases in a female population of 150,000,000 would give about 1 in 750,000 but reduce the area size from a State to a county and the odds reduce further. I bet Fox checks these numbers.)
Seems to me that, at a very rough estimate, there is a 1: 10^15 chance of this story being true. Let's see.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by boing » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:48 pm

It appears the rape story may have been based on a case in Brazil, not the US.

The story is reported in the Washington Post.
A 10-year-old rape victim sought an abortion. A judge urged: Stay pregnant.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -abortion/

The headline was not misleading at all was it?

Please share if you have a genuine report on a US case because all I can find is a loop of self-referencing articles. There are no references to source materials and media reports simply echo each other. I would like to get to the bottom of this.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by llondel » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:02 am

boing wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:48 pm
It appears the rape story may have been based on a case in Brazil, not the US.

The story is reported in the Washington Post.
A 10-year-old rape victim sought an abortion. A judge urged: Stay pregnant.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -abortion/

The headline was not misleading at all was it?

Please share if you have a genuine report on a US case because all I can find is a loop of self-referencing articles. There are no references to source materials and media reports simply echo each other. I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Not quite the same thing, but this one references both cases.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pregnant ... b10ad54d9f

I would expect details on the US case to be reasonably sparse because they're not going to publish the name of the girl, although Dr Caitlin Bernard is mentioned as the doctor directly involved in the case, so there is at least a name.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:03 am

Read an interesting article earlier relating to the impact of no-abortions on elite female athletes. Like "get pregnant" end of career, now that would be scary.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by boing » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:24 am

Thanks Llondel. A certain amount of controversy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/com ... h_planned/

Edit
This is not being featured on Google News headlines now.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#56 Post by Dushan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:45 pm

llondel wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:24 pm
OK, how about the case currently doing the rounds of a 10 year old girl who was raped in Ohio, got pregnant from it and had to travel out of state to get an abortion. How is that a good idea?

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/202 ... 788415001/
It is not.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:03 pm

The law can be an ass (no pun intended).

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by boing » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:28 pm

As many will have noted I am sceptical about the oft repeated, even by President Biden, case of the 10 year old girl who was refused an abortion in Ohio and reportedly travelled to the State of Indiana where she could still undergo the procedure.

New investigation by the Washington Post and others.
a. There has been no supporting evidence of the event. The pro-abortion doctor in Indiana is the sole source of the report and she is refusing to make further statements.
b. In both Ohio and Indiana medical professionals are required by law to report assaults on underage children, they are considered to be very serious events. There has been no such report filed in either State including by the doctor mentioned above.
c. Politico, which was one of the media outlets to release the original reports, has changed its story. In their last report Politico claimed the young girl was from Ohio but she was living in Texas at the time of the incident and was refused an abortion in that State prior to travelling to Indiana. No other media report has mentioned this critical fact.
d. No medical clinics in Ohio have record of being approached to carry out the procedure which is obviously noteworthy because of the child's age.

It would appear someone took the opportunity of claiming that a similar, actual, event in South America occurred in the US.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Boac » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:08 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:25 am

I guess this guy will be calling the WaPo as a witness for the defense.

Ohio man charged in rape of 10-year-old who traveled to Indiana for abortion

The case drew international attention and scrutiny in the wake of the Supreme Court's reversal of Roe.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oh ... -rcna38103

A 27-year-old man has been charged in the sexual assault of a 10-year-old girl who reportedly traveled from Ohio to Indiana for an abortion in a case that drew international attention — and scrutiny — in the wake of the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

Gershon Fuentes, who was arrested Tuesday, confessed to raping the child, according to documents filed in Franklin County Municipal Court.

He was charged with the rape of a minor and faces a life sentence and deportation, the documents state. Bond was set at $2 million, and an initial hearing is scheduled for next week.

An attorney who represented Fuentes at Wednesday’s hearing did not immediately return a request for comment Wednesday evening.

The Columbus Dispatch reported that the charge against Fuentes is connected to the case highlighted by President Joe Biden and held up as an example by abortion rights advocates of the dangers of the end of a constitutional right to abortion.

“She was forced to have to travel out of the state to Indiana to seek to terminate the pregnancy and maybe save her life,” the president said last week. “Ten years old — 10 years old — raped, six weeks pregnant, already traumatized, was forced to travel to another state.”

The girls' situation began drawing attention after the Indianapolis Star reported that an Indianapolis physician who provides abortion services, Dr. Caitlin Bernard, said she had treated a 10-year-old rape victim. She said the girl had to travel from Ohio to Indiana after Ohio's "fetal heartbeat" law was enacted hours after the Supreme Court's ruling on Roe.

In Ohio, abortions are now outlawed at around six weeks of pregnancy, with no exceptions made for cases involving rape or incest.

A number of media outlets and personalities have cast doubt on the reported details surrounding the girl’s case.

Several right-leaning outlets also scrutinized Biden’s decision to speak out, saying the details had not been verified by fact-checkers with The Washington Post or others.

Snopes.com said it was unable to get corroborating information on the story.

“After the story went viral, various media personalities and social media commenters questioned whether the story was real,” Snopes.com noted on its website. It later updated its page oto include details of Fuentes’ arrest.

His arrest comes as Indiana lawmakers prepare for a special session later this month on an abortion ban.

“It’s hard to imagine that in just a few short weeks we will have no ability to provide that care,” Dr. Bernard told the Indianapolis Star earlier this month.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost said that his heart aches for the girl and that “justice must be served.”

"I am grateful for the diligent work of the Columbus Police Department in securing a confession and getting a rapist off the street," Yost said.

PP