No longer paying Brussels ££££££&

British laws rather than European justice

Bonfire of red tape

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Benefits of Brexit

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 am

Whilst they now have the ability to, it won't make the slightest difference until British politicians actually start doing things differently to European politicians.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:20 am

I think Rees-Mogg is the one to ask - it's his portfolio - "Minister of State for Brexit Opportunities"

He is not busy right now.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:12 am

Was speaking to a friend of mine who is doing her commercial exams in her mission to earn her instructor's ticket. She now has to do two sets of exams, EASA and the UK, with exams centres at 3 different locations in the UK, two Class 1 medicals etc. etc.

Brexit! Don't talk to her about Brexit.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:47 am

,,and, worldwide, governments and companies wonder why they can't get workers.
I have a UK DoT Yachtmaster licence; Canada requires me to take another exam to take a motor boat out on a pond.
So, I don't think crazy licence requirements are a major problem with Brexit - any government change to any bureaucracy requires more stupid paperwork, and they never staff properly to accommodate the change.
My Province recently introduced the National Building Code, then found massive problems with lumber supply, as none of the local sawmills have approved lumber stampers. Did they introduce an exemption for provincial lumber? No, they decided to get lumber stampers at each sawmill, so they set up a course, for which they don't have the staff to run the course, so a year and a half down the line there are still no lumber stampers.
Brexit is rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. Doesn't matter what grouping of governments exist if they are all sinking the same way.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:46 pm

EU car construction regulations will be incorporated in UK built cars as it is simpler not to have different spec (like RHD 😅). They have yet to decide if the EU rules will actually be adopted or simply advisory.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:59 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:46 pm
EU car construction regulations will be incorporated in UK built cars as it is simpler not to have different spec (like RHD 😅). They have yet to decide if the EU rules will actually be adopted or simply advisory.
That sort of happens in the US too, California introduces some new reg and many companies will comply with it because California is a large part of their market and it's cheaper than maintaining two versions.

compo
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by compo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:14 pm

2. That nice Mr Putin is now much better informed about things most people wished he didn't know

compo
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by compo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:33 pm

3. River and marine aquatic life, in and around England, enjoying a world-class diet of raw sewage.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:32 am

I have a UK DoT Yachtmaster licence; Canada requires me to take another exam to take a motor boat out on a pond
Nothing to do with Brexit of course, but when I tried to get a NZ ATPL on the strength of my then still valid UK ATPL, I was informed that NZ doesn't accept the UK Instrument Rating, so go hire a twin something at the local club and get a NZ Basic Instrument Rating, nothing like as comprehensive as the UK one, and despite the fact that I had many times in my career flown a UK registered aircraft IFR in, out and around NZ ! I refused, so they offered my a CPL VFR only. This was all I needed to fly for the local volunteer Coastguard, we don't fly IFR, can't see what we are looking for, and if we are delayed and end up flying back to base after sunset, night VFR is still legal, tho' in 20+ years experience I have never needed to

Many years ago now, but once renewed my Night Rating by getting airborne one minute before the published end of Civil Twilight, took off on rwy. 33, 180 deg. turn and land on rwy 15, now officially "Night". Overshoot and another 180 to land on rwy 33, Overshoot and another 180 to land again on rwy 15. 3 "Night" landings and it wasn't even dark ! Bureaucracy Rules, OK ? Very dangerous this night flying !

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:55 am

Take off exactly at official dark. Do intercepts at 10k, 20k, 30k, then 45k, all in daylight. Drop like a brick for a straight in. 45 mins night logged, only 8 minutes in actual dark.
For bonus points, if at high latitudes you head west supersonic just after sunset, you can make the sun come up again!*

*a bit

Meanwhile, back at the Brexit. I recall a study on an EU reg change for veterinarians. Most countries issued it as a directly translated 8 pages, the Dutch shortened it to 7 pages..and the UK civil service managed to stretch it out to 40-odd pages. Brexit will not fix that. I do not think it is possible for bureaucracies to fix anything themselves, and the only solution is for the politicians to shut down entire departments of the civil service/quangoes. The only one I remember actually being closed was the General Teaching Council - an utter waste of time and money. None of its successors have had any better success, or lasted as long. From which one must conclude that the politicians are as much at fault as the civil service. If you are looking for Hope, I'm afraid it's in British Columbia.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:08 am

Brexit is about as beneficial as a rainbow coloured unicorn!

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/busin ... al-330723/
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

compo
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by compo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:55 am

Come on, guys. This thread is about the benefits of brexit. Please start your own thread if you want to comment about the drawbacks or absurdities.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:08 am

Are there any benefits ? Blank thread ?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Wodrick » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:26 am

I have yet to observe any benefit.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

compo
Capt
Capt

#17 Post by compo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:59 am

4. Lots of opportunities for aspiring HGV drivers

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:02 am

5. Airport security cretins staff
When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:35 am

compo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:59 am
4. Lots of opportunities for aspiring HGV drivers
4. Lots of opportunities for aspiring HGV drivers to sit in an interminable queue on the the M20!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Wodrick » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:36 am

Queue 4/10 Cue = 147 :)
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash