Twitter

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Twitter

#21 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:35 pm

Mastodon sounds like an unpleasant growth :))

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:22 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:35 pm
Mastodon sounds like an unpleasant growth :))
A very very heavy metal band BOAC. I shan't be posting a link. =))

Of course, there is the old hairy fellah as well...
Mastodon.JPG
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:59 am

Following the Twitterati, Meta, which used to be Facebook, is about to lay off some of its 87,000 employees. 87,000 employees, human beings all doing something useless! An amazing world we live in.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:20 am

OFSO wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:59 am
87,000 employees, human beings all doing something useless! An amazing world we live in.
Isn't that the truth.

Twitter and Facebook if, not useless, then vectors for obsession, time wasting, illogic, over simplification, conspiracy theories, malignant propaganda, bile, hate, lies, techno addiction, damaged social intercourse, short attention spans etc.

And just once in a while brief contact with Uncle Larry in Tasmania!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

ribrash

#25 Post by ribrash » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:25 am

Twitter and Facebook if, not useless, then vectors for obsession, time wasting, illogic, over simplification, conspiracy theories, malignant propaganda, bile, hate, lies, techno addiction, damaged social intercourse, short attention spans etc.

Just like this forum.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 am

Thank you for taking the time to contribute. =))

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by talmacapt » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:36 am

Aw ribrash.

If you didn't have this forum, you would not be able to listen to the pearls of wisdom, erudite language etc. which come from such a well educated, intelligent etc. chap such as myself.

I do not have accounts with the, so far mentioned, sites.

I do not have google chrome, I do not use Windows (except for one website).

And, more specifically, I would not be able to read your interesting and humourous comments.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:42 am

talmacapt wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:36 am
Aw ribrash.

If you didn't have this forum, you would not be able to listen to the pearls of wisdom, erudite language etc. which come from such a well educated, intelligent etc. chap such as myself.

I do not have accounts with the, so far mentioned, sites.

I do not have google chrome, I do not use Windows (except for one website).

And, more specifically, I would not be able to read your interesting and humourous comments.
Great post! =))

Ditto on not having accounts with the aforementioned sites, which has caused incredulity amongst friends and family who can't imagine how my meagre spirit can stand to live life without them.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:21 am

Agree with previous post. We don't Twit or Farce, Ops Normal is it, quite content with that. Of course we use various groups on What's App: the Family Group, the Retired UK staff of my illustrious previous employer, the Co-dwellers in our small block of flats.

ribrash

#30 Post by ribrash » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:28 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 am
Getting all my posts in before 1/12/22. :-bd

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:33 pm

ribrash wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:28 pm
Boac wrote:

Why don't you just cough up? Your ribald wit and fishing stories will be missed! ;)))

ribrash

#32 Post by ribrash » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:09 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:33 pm
ribrash wrote:
Boac wrote:

Why don't you just cough up? Your ribald wit and fishing stories will be missed! ;)))
The £3 is not an issue. The site has gone down the toilet since I first joined,caused mainly by certain members who think they are gods gift to forums.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by barkingmad » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:16 pm

talmacapt sez:--"If you didn't have this forum, you would not be able to listen to the pearls of wisdom, erudite language etc. which come from such a well educated, intelligent etc. chap such as myself."

I claim exemption from this description as, according to many here, I have never qualified for any of those talents. :(

Ribrash, you will be missed and I can't help wondering why so many of our contributors are leaving, some by default on 01/12/2022 but others have left relatively recently but not due to the 'sub' request.

Perhaps those in charge of the kindergarten might ask the departed about their reasons for leaving the room and maybe share that info with the significantly reduced pool of active members remaining? :-? :-\

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:22 pm

ribrash wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:09 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:33 pm
ribrash wrote:

The £3 is not an issue. The site has gone down the toilet since I first joined,caused mainly by certain members who think they are gods gift to forums.
We are all god's gift to someone, even if it was just our mothers. I mean even you are the great Kingklip on your own beach. =))

If you go, posters here will be apt to say " Upon that lonely post ribrash might have had his say, but now he is gone there's nowt but the receding smell of fish that comes this way!" ;)))

admin2
Capt
Capt

#35 Post by admin2 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:34 pm

but others have left relatively recently but not due to the 'sub' request.
In fact the vast majority were never really 'here', many 'absent' from 2015 on. Sadly a few have taken the 'Grand Exit'.

Ribrash sent a long explanation to me on that very issue, and I see he has explained some of it. fin gave the same reason. Recognise anyone? =))

A good half of the list rarely, if ever, post, so their 'leaving' will be like taking one's finger out of a bowl of water and seeing the hole you leave.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by llondel » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:11 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:59 am
Following the Twitterati, Meta, which used to be Facebook, is about to lay off some of its 87,000 employees. 87,000 employees, human beings all doing something useless! An amazing world we live in.
I know people who work for various parts of Meta, they have a lot of other stuff, including some pretty impressive engineering. The Oculus VR headset was one of their products.

It appears that the Oculus founder has come up with this, too.
Palmer Luckey, the creator of Oculus, has created a virtual reality headset that intentionally kills people.

Named ‘NerveGear’, the system aims to closely tie people’s virtual life to their real one – by bringing them both to an end at the same time.

If someone dies in a virtual reality game or experience while wearing the headset, then they will be killed in real life at the same time, Mr Luckey said.
https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/ocul ... 19992.html

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by llondel » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:14 pm

Musk seems to be floating the idea of putting Twitter behind a paywall, so presumably it will implode when the vast majority of people decide not to pay and move to an alternative that is still free.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:32 pm

Twitter already has a subscription product that's $5 — three bucks cheaper than Musk's proposed plan. And it's already called Twitter Blue as well, the name Musk is sticking with for his own $8 service. The current $5 version provides users with the much-requested "edit tweet" feature, an ad-free news reader, an expanded bookmark feature, and some menu customization options.

And it hasn't been doing very well.

According to data from mobile analytics firm Sensor Tower, Twitter's app has only generated $7 million in in-app purchase revenue since 2014. The majority of that revenue comes from Twitter Blue, which was launched in June 2021. That number also includes revenue from Twitter's other in-app purchase products, like Twitter Spaces tickets, but Twitter Blue makes up the bulk of those purchases. Sensor Tower only tracks purchases from Twitter's mobile app, but being that more than 80 percent of Twitter's users access the platform on their mobile device, the firm's figure is a pretty good indicator.
Some numbers crunched here....

https://mashable.com/article/elon-musk- ... bscription
An accidental sneak peek
This past Saturday, Twitter jumped the gun and sent out a mobile update that claimed its new $8 per month subscription feature had launched. Turns out, that wasn't true and the new subscription plan had not yet rolled out.

As you might imagine, the users most interested in paying a monthly fee for a blue checkmark were among the first to rush to sign up. And while these individuals were loud in their Twitter complaints about paying for a verification badge they hadn't received as a result of the not-yet-live service, it turns out that there were not too many of them.
What a surprise, a shorthanded tech. staff compliment working an 80-hour week to develop a non-working product! Place must be a total hell hole to work in now.
Sensor Tower estimates that users spent $147,000 on Twitter between Nov. 5 and 6. While this is up 86 percent from the previous two days…that's it? Just under 30,000 users signed up in two days, according to the analytics firm. And, again, this is ostensibly the group of Twitter's most hardcore users — they're the ones most likely to subscribe.

On top of all that, a source at Twitter told The Platformer that its own internal report found that a reduction of ads, one of the subscription plan's features, would lose the company approximately $6 in ad revenue per user. Factor in Apple and Google's cut, and Musk's version of Twitter Blue could actually end up costing the company money.

If Musk really believes his $8 subscription plan will save the platform and replace advertising revenue, then Twitter is truly screwed.
More interesting points here...

https://mashable.com/article/elon-musk-twitter-future

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:32 pm

Twitter changes new paid verification rules as impersonators spread
The move to prevent new accounts from getting a check mark would theoretically prevent people from creating accounts to take advantage of the new feature.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/ ... -rcna56569

Twitter on Wednesday updated the rules around its new paid verification feature, a move that comes as users began impersonating celebrities, athletes and politicians alongside their new check marks.

The "About Twitter Blue" page that includes details about the $7.99-per-month service now has a note detailing that only people who had an account created before Nov. 9 would be able to access the feature.

The move would theoretically prevent people from creating new accounts to take advantage of the new feature.

"Twitter accounts created on or after November 9, 2022 will be unable to subscribe to Twitter Blue at this time," the note states.

It's not clear exactly when that update was added, but versions of the webpage logged by the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, which stores snapshots of many popular websites, shows that the language was added to the page sometime before 1 p.m. ET.

Even with that rule in place, Twitter has had to take action against many accounts that have paid for the new check mark and begun impersonating well-known people including NBA star LeBron James and NHL player Connor McDavid. Users impersonating former President George W. Bush and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair have also been suspended.

Twitter launched the new Blue subscription Wednesday, a move that had been highly anticipated as the first major change since Elon Musk took control of the company. Musk has touted the new system as a way to bring in money, reduce the incentives for bots and trolls to use the platform, and give more users a more prominent voice.

LeBron James and others impersonated by verified Twitter accounts
But those plans were quickly criticized by people who argued the new system would be abused to spread misinformation or perpetuate scams. Some users recently began impersonating Musk seemingly in an effort to show him how easily the platform can be abused.

Still, Twitter rolled out the new feature less than two weeks after he took control of the company. Tech companies take months to develop and test a feature before introducing it out publicly.

Musk said Wednesday that he is pushing the company to roll things out quickly and that there will inevitably be problems.

"Please note that Twitter will do lots of dumb things in coming months," he tweeted. "We will keep what works & change what doesn’t."

Only looking forward, not looking back Elon? :-o :ymdevil:
PP

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:39 am

Ditto on not having accounts with the aforementioned sites, which has caused incredulity amongst friends and family who can't imagine how my meagre spirit can stand to live life without them.
Likewise. I have had some friends express incredulity that I don't use those sites, saying that it is a great way to 'stay in touch' with all their Friends.

When I reply '....what's wrong with an e-mail, a PM or even a phone call?' they generally do not have a reply.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.