Sudan coup

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Sudan coup

#21 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:23 pm

1DC wrote:The final phase will surely be when the media lead with how every other country did it better than the British.
Err - 'when'??

I suspect dear James was 'too busy' keeping himself (unsuccessfully) in line for DPM to 'notice' the situation developing in Sudan.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:47 am

Here in Australia it has been reported on the 'meedja' that .."Australian Citizens are demanding that Prime Minister Albanese get them out of Sudan....."

I noted from some TV News reports that the people concerned are all youngish and obviously came from that area in the first place. From the accents of those interviewed I'd hazard a guess that they were mostly all born there as well.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:36 am

This is a well written comment IMO: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/ ... blown.html :YMAPPLAUSE:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by tango15 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:07 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:36 am
This is a well written comment IMO: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/ ... blown.html :YMAPPLAUSE:
I agree. That, for once, is a refreshingly accurate article in the Mail. The ever-increasing British sense of entitlement is well to the fore, it seems. I watched an RAF Atlas out of Akrotiri yesterday. It arrived about 15nm due north of the Sudan A/F base they are using and then did about eight circuits before continuing, with a further circuit en route. I imagine there is the threat of surface-to-air attack, coupled with considerable logistical difficulties on the airfield itself, so this is no easy undertaking.

Sadly, we live in a world where hostage-taking of Westerners is seen as a legitimate exercise in many countries and we do not know what intelligence the embassy might have picked up about the possibility of this. I was once working with an embassy when a member of the staff was murdered while on duty and it sent shockwaves through the whole diplomatic community, not just the UK. In this case, there was no warning, and no intelligence to suggest that the person who was murdered was at risk.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/782245.stm

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by tango15 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:41 pm

I see that an RAF C-17 heading from Akrotiri to Port Sudan has diverted to Jeddah. Not squawking the emergency code, so I assume that they've been advised not to continue to Sudan for the moment.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:33 pm

Shortly after Belize was threatened with invasion we met one of the Ops Officers responsible for getting the reinforcement under way. I think he was in Ascot Ops and got the call from Air Force Ops.

I think at the time AFO had contingency plans for just about everywhere and the same for Ascot no doubt. This chap said however "where?". Of course British Honduras might have been better.

I guess both those roles have been subsumed by Air Command or is Northwood the top neddy?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Woody » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:39 pm

Sadly, we live in a world where hostage-taking of Westerners is seen as a legitimate exercise in many countries and we do not know what intelligence the embassy might have picked up about the possibility of this. I was once working with an embassy when a member of the staff was murdered while on duty and it sent shockwaves through the whole diplomatic community, not just the UK. In this case, there was no warning, and no intelligence to suggest that the person who was murdered was at risk.

I was part of the team that met the arrival from Athens, when murdered Attache was returned to the UK on a BA flight into LGW, once all pax bags had been removed, the aircraft was towed to the cargo area and the coffin was removed with full Military Honours
When all else fails, read the instructions.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by tango15 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:39 pm

I was part of the team that met the arrival from Athens, when murdered Attache was returned to the UK on a BA flight into LGW, once all pax bags had been removed, the aircraft was towed to the cargo area and the coffin was removed with full Military Honours
That's good to know, Woody. Hadn't heard that before. Stephen Saunders was a friend, and in fact, I was due to have lunch with him that day. A nicer family you could not wish to meet. We were told to get out of town for a few days while the whole thing settled down, which we were happy to do.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: My (first) experience with UK ambassadors.

#29 Post by John Hill » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:42 pm

Not really an ambassador but certainly representing HM at that location.

Mid '70's we sailed a small yacht across the Pacific and called in at Christmas Island, as one does.

We sailed into the lagoon, anchored and raised our 'Q' flag, and waited. Eventually a dinghy was seen coming our way with one chap manning the outboard (British Seagull no doubt) and another chap dressed in a yellowing white tropical outfit. He had a complexion indicating too much exposure to the sun, or something.

They came within hailing distance and he shouted to us "If you are yanks without papers you can far cough".

Quite a jovial chap and soon did his duty with the rubber stamp, then we had a drink or two.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:24 pm

1DC wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:58 pm
It would appear so Mr Lo but only because of the location, my bitch has nothing to do with colour ,creed or religion only behaviour. I get annoyed when I read about people who have acquired a British Passport many years ago, given it little value but put it safe 'just in case'. A situation like now comes along and the passport becomes worthwhile and the British are expected to perform.
If things don't happen as soon as wanted, people start complaining that they are being forgotten and feed their complaints to the media. I am sure the majority will eventually be rescued and then we will move on to phase two with the details of how it should have been done. The final phase will surely be when the media lead with how every other country did it better than the British.

AS an aside.. Up here on the Humber we are considered to be one of the poorest cum roughest parts off the UK but if you save up to go into the best fish and chip cafe, which many do, you will be given a fish knife and I am pleased to say that the locals are very good at handling the skinny little knives!
My heart breaks for you poor people!

Always use, a big knife, when eating or otherwise, or better a gun, in that kind of situation.

Having seen lilly white British arses pulled out of the mire in Africa, by "black" Africans, a little humility on your part might just be appropriate. But men of generation don't do that, do they?

You are British, or you are not? What are you sir?

I am proud to be British, and so you should you be, and we should respect and give equal value to every citizen in this fine Kingdom!

The observer of fools in military south and north...

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by John Hill » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 pm

OneHungLow wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:24 pm
I think my "Britishness" was cancelled in 1977 (New Zealand's Citizenship Act 1977). We continued to eat our fish and chips without utensils although posh folks are known to tear off a piece of the paper wrapper to use in lieu of.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:35 pm

John Hill wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 pm
OneHungLow wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:24 pm
I think my "Britishness" was cancelled in 1977 (New Zealand's Citizenship Act 1977). We continued to eat our fish and chips without utensils although posh folks are known to tear off a piece of the paper wrapper to use in lieu of.
You bunch of New Zealand slackers are to be forgiven, lack of fish eating etiquette, notwithstanding, for your rugby and aircraft restoration skills.

For the rest, I prescribe a daily dose of "Once were Warriors!! ;)))

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by OneHungLow » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:11 am

Watch the Sikh gentleman. Is he not good enough for you?

If not, Christ, people with such opinions disgust me.

You bastards let these men down...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... fghanistan

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by John Hill » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:05 am

We had Gurkhas guarding the building and keeping us safe in Baghdad in 2003. Nice chaps too!

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by OneHungLow » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:35 am

John Hill wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:05 am
We had Gurkhas guarding the building and keeping us safe in Baghdad in 2003. Nice chaps too!
John you Kiwis treat people with respect.

This country has shoved its bigoted face into the arse of fascism.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#36 Post by prospector » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:15 am

"We had Gurkhas guarding the building and keeping us safe in Baghdad in 2003."
Who did you have to be kept safe from in 2003?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by John Hill » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:21 am

prospector wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:15 am
"We had Gurkhas guarding the building and keeping us safe in Baghdad in 2003."
Who did you have to be kept safe from in 2003?
Baghdad 2003, how fast history fades. :-\

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:28 am

tango15 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:38 pm
Woody wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:39 pm

That's good to know, Woody. Hadn't heard that before. Stephen Saunders was a friend, and in fact, I was due to have lunch with him that day. A nicer family you could not wish to meet. We were told to get out of town for a few days while the whole thing settled down, which we were happy to do.

A small change in the conversation here, but no doubt the murder of the Attache was one critical moment in modern (post 1974) history. The Greek government decided to ask for help to tracking down the main terrorist organization and in exchange the said organisation was practically delivered in the police headquarters. The incompetent minister responsible for the police back then still enjoys good ratings (if I may say so) for dismantling the gang.

T15 any plans to return as tourist to Athens?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#39 Post by Dushan » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:29 am

1DC wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:58 pm
It would appear so Mr Lo but only because of the location, my bitch has nothing to do with colour ,creed or religion only behaviour. I get annoyed when I read about people who have acquired a British Passport many years ago, given it little value but put it safe 'just in case'. A situation like now comes along and the passport becomes worthwhile and the British are expected to perform.
If things don't happen as soon as wanted, people start complaining that they are being forgotten and feed their complaints to the media. I am sure the majority will eventually be rescued and then we will move on to phase two with the details of how it should have been done. The final phase will surely be when the media lead with how every other country did it better than the British.

AS an aside.. Up here on the Humber we are considered to be one of the poorest cum roughest parts off the UK but if you save up to go into the best fish and chip cafe, which many do, you will be given a fish knife and I am pleased to say that the locals are very good at handling the skinny little knives!
Agree with you 1DC. Which part of this did they not understand...

SUDAN - AVOID ALL TRAVEL
Avoid all travel to Sudan due to armed conflict, civil unrest and the volatile security situation.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by 1DC » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:29 am

I'm not quite sure what set Mr Lo off really, Dushan but I reckon he is a very nice man really. When I was last in New Zealand I had fish and chips at a little port on the South Island and I ate them with my fingers, it was just like eating them with your fingers on the Humber! you could eat inside in the chip shop in NZ but I don't know if they provided knives and forks if you did so.